04-14-17 12:47 PM
213 ... 23456 ...
tools
    0 people are surprised.

How the Priv ever saw the light of day is a total mystery.

...or would be a mystery, were it anyone other than BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    06-07-16 03:35 PM
    0 people are surprised.

How the Priv ever saw the light of day is a total mystery.

...or would be a mystery, were it anyone other than BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    Do you not recall the excitement here on this site after the big announcement at the MWC ? Of course at that time people were hoping for an updated all touch BB10 surrogate.
    06-07-16 03:48 PM
    I don't think the only device should be a Passport 'esque' form factor, I just think they should release an Android variant. The next two rumoured devices I'm pretty sure won't be that big.

But here's my thought: if BB's devices don't look any different than anyone else's, and are lower spec'd and priced higher, why would anyone get one? The only potential customers would be a small niche of gov't / enterprise for a secure end to end solution. Almost no one else but the truly faithful are going to pick one up.

EDIT: an afterthought - the Passport keyboard doesn't 'look' like a regular BlackBerry Keyboard and that's probably a good thing. There are many Passport users like myself that were drawn to the platform by the form factor of this device. I dunno, my gut instincts are that it would sell decently (for BlackBerry, not the volume of iPhone or Samsung).

Posted via CB10
    There was a similar phone that was not well received in the market place.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/20492...ect-ratio.html

Adding a PKB is not likely to add much allure in today's market.

If in fact there any new BlackBerry phones they will likely be the Rome and or Hamburg. More conventional. If BlackBerry were to make another PKB after the Rome they might be better going smaller with a good track pad... A Bold rather than a Passport.
    06-07-16 03:57 PM
    Do you not recall the excitement here on this site after the big announcement at the MWC ? Of course at that time people were hoping for an updated all touch BB10 surrogate.
    MWC gave no reason to be pessimistic.

Everything that followed did.

Posted via CB10
    06-07-16 03:57 PM
    There was a similar phone that was not well received in the market place.

LG Vu 3 smartphone goes extra wide with a 4:3 aspect ratio | PCWorld

Adding a PKB is not likely to add much allure in today's market.

If in fact there any new BlackBerry phones they will likely be the Rome and or Hamburg. More conventional. If BlackBerry were to make another PKB after the Rome they might be better going smaller with a good track pad... A Bold rather than a Passport.
    A lot of people praise the Bold series, so that's another option for sure. I was already aware of the LG VU, but at the end of the day it's just another glass slab, and in that instance the 4:3 hurts the device vs helping it, imho. I wouldn't want an all touch Passport, it's the addition of the touch capacitive pkb that makes it unique for me. I want the shortcuts, particularly in-app for Calendar, Hub, Browser, etc.

Anyway, I don't have a crystal ball so I'm just voicing my opinion that an Android variant on the Passport would do reasonably well for BlackBerry. I could be completely off base, but I have noticed (ad hoc) a lot of people like me on this forum that came to BlackBerry because of the device and it's unique design and features. Also, it garnered a lot of attention on mobile review sites, regardless of whether they ended up liking it or not. But I recall a lot liking the design.
    Bbnivende likes this.
    06-07-16 05:11 PM
    Hardly surprising. The Priv is a compromise. Android is unexceptional, except for value for money models using it.

I have a Xiaomi Redmi Note 2 Android Lollipop 64 bit 32GB that has a big swappable battery, 5.5 screen, is dual SIM and takes SD cards. 125 unlocked brand new. It's fast. Can use Blu Tooth physical keyboard wallet if I wish.

The Priv and its lineage will stand NO chance in the Android consumer market unless it can at least equal bargain priced high spec phones.

BlackBerry should be competing straight out with Blackphone, Granitephone and beating them at their own game straight on, or buying them out.

The Priv (renamed!) could be adapted for that. It's just customisation of Android that's needed. No compromises.

Posted via CB10
    Kamika007z likes this.
    06-07-16 05:17 PM
    No one wants a BlackBerry anymore.

Why do people insist that BlackBerry keep making phones when they don't sell ?

via my Samsung Galaxy S5
    I still want a BlackBerry.... Just waiting for them to make the right device. They have the designs all along, they just haven't pulled the trigger on it for some really dumb reason I guess.
    Bluenoser63 likes this.
    06-07-16 07:34 PM
    No one wants a BlackBerry anymore.

Why do people insist that BlackBerry keep making phones when they don't sell ?

via my Samsung Galaxy S5
    I have a Z30 and I love it and plan to use it for as long as possible. Blandroid phones do not interest me in the slightest. I have an Android tablet and although it does everything that I want/need, the OS interface and layout is crap to me and so I will not get an Android phone. If BlackBerry were to release a new all-touch phone with BB10, I would buy it because I love the OS. Sadly, I think my wish will not be fulfilled though.
    06-07-16 07:50 PM
    I still want a BlackBerry.... Just waiting for them to make the right device. They have the designs all along, they just haven't pulled the trigger on it for some really dumb reason I guess.
    What designs do you want that they have not pulled the trigger on?
    06-07-16 07:56 PM
    is the fault with the phone or the carrier apathy? NO carrier supports Blackberry- when you go in the stores most of the reps are ignorant of even the simplest android things this phone can do - and when you ask they direct you to the newest galaxy- I prefer a phone that works and you can carry on a conversation with to a tinny bad performing gimmick ...maybe if the carriers had someone that knew the phones they sell...all of them ..this would not be an issue ...but when you ask the simplest question they can tell you about the galaxy or the I ... these are like most other things today - disposable and short lived ( every year folks - talk about disposable - like a tissue)
    06-07-16 08:43 PM
    Hardly surprising. The Priv is a compromise. Android is unexceptional, except for value for money models using it.

I have a Xiaomi Redmi Note 2 Android Lollipop 64 bit 32GB that has a big swappable battery, 5.5 screen, is dual SIM and takes SD cards. 125 unlocked brand new. It's fast. Can use Blu Tooth physical keyboard wallet if I wish.

The Priv and its lineage will stand NO chance in the Android consumer market unless it can at least equal bargain priced high spec phones.

BlackBerry should be competing straight out with Blackphone, Granitephone and beating them at their own game straight on, or buying them out.

The Priv (renamed!) could be adapted for that. It's just customisation of Android that's needed. No compromises.

Posted via CB10
    I agree. Android IS unexceptional and is also superfluous.

The smartphone market IS saturated, which Chen said before, but what he hasn't realized is that the Android market is saturated even more.

Stick to BB10 Chen... this is your only play... keep optimizing it... oh and don't forget to market properly to all your enterprise customers. This is your niche.
    06-07-16 11:31 PM
    BB10 can not be the only play. They can not afford to maintain and improve the OS and the devices cost more to build. I think the trick is to make devices that BlackBerry fans want to buy. The Hamburg and Rome are a start. Then BlackBerry has to add some BBOS and BB10 features to their phones. The OS is just a launcher.

Posted via CB10
    06-08-16 12:14 AM
    A Lack of public Relation and positiv propaganda is the Main Problem with Blackberry. When have you seen a commercial lt on TV or heard on the Radio? Did you ever?
    Every little merchant around the corner has to make is offer known to the neighborhood. Blackberry doesn't! Why?
    Do they really want to sell devices?
    I doubt.
    Look at the perfect propaganda of Apple everywhere and everytime.
    They know how it works!
    Look at Chen. Does he have Charisma? Is he a star shining brightly?
    No.
    You need a new head.
    That's the point.

Posted via CB10
    06-08-16 12:56 AM
    Should of made the PRIV available in BB10 and android flavours and then compared sales and return rates - would have given BBRY a decent idea of their android experiments success vs BB10 IMHO.

That and sell it @ half the price and the public pillory of whichever smartass came up with the PRIV name would have made a difference.
    Bluenoser63 likes this.
    06-08-16 02:42 AM
    Now at least it makes sense why Blackberry is working on a way to update the AT&T priv without the carrier SIM. They know that those are being liquidated elsewhere because at&t didn't want them. Doh! 🤕
    06-08-16 04:10 AM
    would have given BBRY a decent idea of their android experiments success vs BB10 IMHO.
    They have plenty of data on BB10 - it destroys shareholder value - it has lost the company billions - so unless the Priv does the same it is hard for it not to be more successful even if overall it is a market failure.
    Bbnivende and JeepBB like this.
    06-08-16 05:26 AM
    They have plenty of data on BB10 - it destroys shareholder value - it has lost the company billions - so unless the Priv does the same it is hard for it not to be more successful even if overall it is a market failure.
    I don't see how BB10 has cost BBRY billions - continuous bad choices and management by BBRY has cost them billions yes but the OS hasn't. How much of that billions was consumed by BBM ( which is another half arsed development now it's gone x-platform ) and how much was spent buying other companies and technolgies.

I mean how many software engineers would have to be employed to consume billions of dollars ??

A lot of these 'billions' are accounting 'write offs' which was probably done to reduce taxes in a particular year.

And if they had invested even part of those billions in paying the app producers to make native apps for BB10 perhaps things would have been different.

But my point was to compare sales of the same hardware with BB10 and android, and decide ( if hardware continues ) which is the path to follow.
    Bluenoser63 likes this.
    06-08-16 05:59 AM
    But my point was to compare sales of the same hardware with BB10 and android, and decide ( if hardware continues ) which is the path to follow.
    the decision is already made - the BB10 team is gone except for people writing security patches, there is no hardware planned, the app store is a ghost town and the developer tools are outdated and EOL.
    JeepBB likes this.
    06-08-16 06:58 AM
    Not surprised. At this point BlackBerry commanding a premium price at a consumer level makes about as much sense as Huawei or ZTE doing the same. Of course BlackBerry is in a different league than those, but they're reputation is just not there to support an $800 phone.

I know several people who wanted the slider, but not at that price. It's all but disappeared now around here.

Posted via CB10
    06-08-16 07:33 AM
    BB10 can not be the only play. They can not afford to maintain and improve the OS and the devices cost more to build. I think the trick is to make devices that BlackBerry fans want to buy. The Hamburg and Rome are a start. Then BlackBerry has to add some BBOS and BB10 features to their phones. The OS is just a launcher.

Posted via CB10
    Android market is over saturated and there are not any features of BBOS or BB10 that will change the Android market. Chen screwed up again. Drop the Android and go back to BB10 and update the ART and do some advertising.
    06-08-16 08:39 AM
    Should of made the PRIV available in BB10 and android flavours and then compared sales and return rates - would have given BBRY a decent idea of their android experiments success vs BB10 IMHO.

That and sell it @ half the price and the public pillory of whichever smartass came up with the PRIV name would have made a difference.
    You mean market research? Nah. Why would BlackBerry start know. The board and Chen know exactly what people want. Oh, but the way. That is sarcasm.
    06-08-16 08:40 AM
    BB10 didn't, it was the decisions of the board. They didn't market it well and over produced the hardware. They didn't do enough to get app manufactures onside. They screwed up the launch big time.
    06-08-16 08:41 AM
    I would buy another a "Priv 2", but the build quality would have to be better if it's going to cost as much as my Priv.
    06-08-16 08:57 AM
    BB10 didn't, it was the decisions of the board. They didn't market it well and over produced the hardware. They didn't do enough to get app manufactures onside. They screwed up the launch big time.
    Kevin did a checklist long before BB10 launched of what BlackBerry had to do to make the launch of BB10 a success....

Was BB10 stable at launch.... NO
    Were the key apps available at launch.... NO (Kevin bet a car that Instagram would be there, he gave someone a matchbox car).
    Was the Z10 an impressive pieces of hardware.... NO (it was OK, but battery was too small due to BB10's crazy power consumption)
    Was the Z10 priced to sell... NO (BlackBerry wanted all the profit they could get, didn't even consider any special launch incentives)
    Marketing.... At the launch at least they did do a lot of ads here in the US. Now after a few months it all dried up... but by then they didn't have any hope in the consumer market anyway.

BlackBerry missed on most every point that Kevin had made. And sadly once that launch was seen as a failure... that was it. Developers stayed away, Carriers moved away, Enterprise Customers for the most part went with plan "Apple", and even BlackBerry's #1 fan moved on.
    06-08-16 09:12 AM
    That's the timetravel game - however we got here, in 2016 BB10 is a market failure which cost billions and has been ineffectively shutdown internally. The only question for BBRY is can they make android a go - there is no will or infrastructure to go back to BB10.
    JeepBB and Witmen like this.
    06-08-16 09:32 AM
213 ... 23456 ...