04-14-17 12:47 PM
213 12345 ...
tools
    BB is delusional if they think that PKB,security ... are so important for a huge number of people. Sure these may be important for a few, but billions of others don't care. And those are the ones BB needs to convince. Consumers are concerned when they buy their product, would BB stop support in a year or two, or if company decides to drops it like playbook or BB10, or if company is gonna be around at all.
    I understand that decision to stop developing BB10 may be good decision for their business at the time. But unfortunately consumers decided that the best for their business is to sail away from Blackberry. Nothing personal, just business.
    06-07-16 07:47 AM
    Sales are poor because it's an overpriced crappy device with a stupid name and few redeeming features.

The fact that many people are returning it makes it even worse, but that's not the main reason for lack of sales.
    If you don't market a device... it really has very little chance of being even considered. Today I think most people already know what they want when they go into a store or visit a website. Either an ad somewhere has sold them on a feature, or their friends and family have sold them on their favorite device.

Keyboard was all the PRIV had going for it, and it's pretty clear that not enough see a value in paying a premium for that one feature.

Chen has fallen back to the Enterprise battle cry from 2014 when the Classic and LEAP were going to save BlackBerry.
    06-07-16 07:56 AM
    My thoughts.
    1. Blackberry needed to market and target non-Blackberry loyalists and users.

2. Blackberry should have launched multiple droids with these prices
    - full slab - $399
    - one with fixed PKB - $449
    - the slider - $499

3. The price was too high. If people spend that much they expect something special hence the returns based on disappoints.

4. Blackberry should have dropped an updated z30, z40 with the Passport processor, RAM and internal memory...
    Last edited by roleli; 09-07-16 at 01:44 PM.
    06-07-16 08:10 AM
    It's tough to compete in smartphone market, it's tougher to compete in Android smartphone market, it's even tougher to compete in corporate market as a Android smartphone provider.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2876
    06-07-16 08:21 AM
    If you don't market a device... it really has very little chance of being even considered. Today I think most

Chen has fallen back to the Enterprise battle cry from 2014 when the Classic and LEAP were going to save BlackBerry.

I agree. I do want to see them keep producing devices with PKB though, even if it is just for a really tiny niche.
    06-07-16 08:32 AM
    My thoughts.
    1. Blackberry neded to market and target non-Blackberry loyalists and users.

2. Blackberry should have launched multiple droids with these prices
    - full slab - $399
    - one with fixed PKB - $449
    - the slider - $499

3. The price was too high. If people spend that much they expect something special hence the returns based on disappoints.

4. Blackberry should have dropped an updated z30, z40 with the Passport processor, RAM and internal memory...
    I agree but the full slab and PKB would decimate the slider sales further. The PRIV is getting a Storm like reputation.
    jope28, techvisor and jegs2 like this.
    06-07-16 08:44 AM
    Well I believe that they are. I currently carry a Q10 BlackBerry and I went in to my carrier T-Mobile and I had to wait for the associate to confirm with store manager if it was "ok" to discuss the Priv. Then for her to come back to me and say they have none in stock (don't know when) plus couldn't give basic information about the device. Same situation happened when I called customer care for T-Mobile. Yes so the struggle is Real.
    06-07-16 09:46 AM
    I'll admit I'm a big fan of the Priv, though I can't speak to the QC issues because I don't own one....

There IS a part of me that wonders if BlackBerry should return to "The good old days" and maybe make a new 9900 with updated hardware.. Not the Classic... I strongly believe the 9900 was near-perfect for a BlackBerry.
    06-07-16 09:53 AM
    I agree but the full slab and PKB would decimate the slider sales further. The PRIV is getting a Storm like reputation.
    I really believe an updated Passport with 4:3 ratio (portrait) would get attention if priced well. And in bold capital letters say it has a touch capacitive keyboard. Speak to the strengths of the PKB loudly and proudly. Also emphasise that you can swipe on the PKB for messaging. Go big or go home, imho.

Posted via CB10
    UnderBerry likes this.
    06-07-16 09:58 AM
    I really believe an updated Passport with 4:3 ratio (portrait) would get attention if priced well. And in bold capital letters say it has a touch capacitive keyboard. Speak to the strengths of the PKB loudly and proudly. Also emphasise that you can swipe on the PKB for messaging. Go big or go home, imho.

Posted via CB10
    The PRIV is as wide as a iPhone 6 plus. 77 mm. This is about as wide of a phone as the market will accept. There are a significant number of current BBOS and BB10 owners who think that even 77 mm is too wide. The sweet spot might be a device the same width of a Classic. 72mm.

The Passport is too wide at 90mm.
    06-07-16 10:19 AM
    The PRIV is as wide as a iPhone 6 plus. 77 mm. This is about as wide of a phone as the market will accept. There are a significant number of current BBOS and BB10 owners who think that even 77 mm is too wide. The sweet spot might be a device the same width of a Classic. 72mm.

My Droid Turbo 2 is 78 mm.... not easy to hold and use, but manageable.

Pulled out my Z10 (65.6 mm) the other day, and for typing it is so easy to hold and typing is much easier. But for my usage I wouldn't even consider going back to a smaller device. I guess it really comes down to how people use their phones the most and what works the best...
    06-07-16 10:47 AM
    My Droid Turbo 2 is 78 mm.... not easy to hold and use, but manageable.

Pulled out my Z10 (65.6 mm) the other day, and for typing it is so easy to hold and typing is much easier. But for my usage I wouldn't even consider going back to a smaller device. I guess it really comes down to how people use their phones the most and what works the best...
    Could we agree for at least the two of us that 90 mm is too wide?
    06-07-16 10:54 AM

They could make it slightly narrower when adjusting screen ratio. The market will accept a wider phone or no one would ever buy a Note. Jmho.

Posted via CB10
    06-07-16 11:09 AM
    Could we agree for at least the two of us that 90 mm is too wide?
    Me personally... yeah that would be too wide for my usage I think. I held a Passport once in an AT&T store, and it didn't feel comfortable for me. But with a case with finger straps... who knows.
    06-07-16 11:12 AM
    But with a case with finger straps...
    Sacrilege......lol.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    06-07-16 11:14 AM
    LOL Jaded much in your opinion? BB10 was much better than BBOS.
    What does BBOS have to do with my comment or Priv sales? BB10 doesn't really have anything to do with my post. In case you haven't noticed BB10 has become irrelevant and Priv sales are in fact in the toilet
    06-07-16 11:49 AM
    If AT&T wasn't such a POS carrier like the rest of the US carriers and actually provided updates (as the rest of the world has) then those returns would have been minimized. Many issues were fixed with software updates especially Marshmallow.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    I seldom defend a carrier but let's be realistic. A 700 dollar phone should not need updates to fix it, the problem falls directly on BlackBerries shoulders not AT&T. By your logic a car dealer is the one selling and is responsible for a car that turns out to be a lemon, not the manufacture !

No Woof for you!
    jope28, PantherBlitz and techvisor like this.
    06-07-16 11:52 AM
    I'll admit I'm a big fan of the Priv, though I can't speak to the QC issues because I don't own one....
    LOL

There IS a part of me that wonders if BlackBerry should return to "The good old days" and maybe make a new 9900 with updated hardware.. Not the Classic... I strongly believe the 9900 was near-perfect for a BlackBerry.
    It's bad enough that BB just cant move forward but to suggest they go in high speed reverse is insane
    06-07-16 11:53 AM
    LOL

It's bad enough that BB just cant move forward but to suggest they go in high speed reverse is insane
    Just my two cents. The 9900 was(and still is for many) a very powerful tool.

As for my opinion of the Priv.. Being an owner is the best (and usually the quickest) way to formulate an informed opinion, but there's plenty of information available to be able to develop one.
    06-07-16 12:13 PM
    They could make it slightly narrower when adjusting screen ratio. The market will accept a wider phone or no one would ever buy a Note. Jmho.

Posted via CB10
    The Galaxy Note 5 is 76 mm wide.

A phablet phone is fine in your line up but not as your only offering so here is hoping that the next BlackBerry's are around 72 mm wide.
    06-07-16 12:48 PM
    Was the priv targeted to enterprise users or the general market? Blackberry's management can be confusing at times...
    06-07-16 01:43 PM
    The Galaxy Note 5 is 76 mm wide.

A phablet phone is fine in your line up but not as your only offering so here is hoping that the next BlackBerry's are around 72 mm wide.
    I don't think the only device should be a Passport 'esque' form factor, I just think they should release an Android variant. The next two rumoured devices I'm pretty sure won't be that big.

But here's my thought: if BB's devices don't look any different than anyone else's, and are lower spec'd and priced higher, why would anyone get one? The only potential customers would be a small niche of gov't / enterprise for a secure end to end solution. Almost no one else but the truly faithful are going to pick one up.

EDIT: an afterthought - the Passport keyboard doesn't 'look' like a regular BlackBerry Keyboard and that's probably a good thing. There are many Passport users like myself that were drawn to the platform by the form factor of this device. I dunno, my gut instincts are that it would sell decently (for BlackBerry, not the volume of iPhone or Samsung).

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Reaney; 06-07-16 at 02:45 PM.
    06-07-16 02:10 PM
    I'm not paying $700 for ANY phone, regardless of the brand. I paid 400 for the Classic non-camera last year, and this year 400 for my Passport SE, and that's probably the upper limit of my range. Will I consider the fixed-keyboard BB Android? Yes, but not for a while. Not until the PPSE can't meet my needs anymore.
    06-07-16 02:50 PM
    Was the priv targeted to enterprise users or the general market? Blackberry's management can be confusing at times...
    Even they don't know what they were trying to target. A enterprise phone needs security and privacy, but they wanted Google Play and GPS on the phone so people could do social apps and games. They created a consumer enterprise phone. Something that neither party wants.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    06-07-16 02:55 PM
    Even they don't know what they were trying to target. A enterprise phone needs security and privacy, but they wanted Google Play and GPS on the phone so people could do social apps and games. They created a consumer enterprise phone. Something that neither party wants.
    Most of enterprise is happy with the level of security or privacy that Apple offers....

BlackBerry's niche seems to be just a small portion of enterprise. Government and Highly Regulated Industries. But these tend to spend a lot of time testing and certifying products. Hard to do with a new product, but BlackBerry need sales right away... thus the PRIV was more of a consumer orientated phone. Chen is hoping that this niche has had more time to test their "solution" and will embrace the Rome and the Hamburg....

What isn't clear is just how many phones fall into this niche... and if they trust both BlackBerry's products and BlackBerry themselves to be there two years from now. Some of these customers are still using BBOS devcies, they are looking for a long term solution and vendor.
    06-07-16 03:29 PM
213 12345 ...