12-21-11 08:52 PM
77 ... 234
tools
    Firing the customer philosophy only works as long as you have a great product ( either perceived or in reality) and it works till such time the alternatives have not caught on.

I know I'm entering dangerous waters here, but Steve Jobs policy towards customers was the reason why Apple went down in the first place and allowed the Cola dude to get him fired.

That he came back and puled a rabbit out of the hat is a one in a million shot.
    It remains to be seen how long Apple will continue on this philosophy. The Androids are pushing and pushing hard. Lets hope RIM responds well next year (hopefully sooner rather than later).
    I agree. Apple acted like an arrogant jackass--remember its early philosophy that a computer did not need a fan?--and lots of us computer users have never been back. Many of us really did know what we wanted, and Jobs' attempts to tell us otherwise and lock us into his offerings did not play well. Apple saved itself only by leaving the computer business and seizing on the miniature song player idea (not invented by Apple at all--there were a bunch of others first) coupled with an easy-to-use market from which users could download songs. Essentially, Apple shifted its focus to toys (iPod, iPad, etc.). Now, I happen to like toys.... But, I don't know how many more unseized opportunities there are at present for RIM to use to pull itself up by its bootstraps. Also, RIM did have a six-month or so window of opportunity with the 7" tablet segment, and blew it.

It almost doesn't matter whether the promised things were worthwhile; RIM's repeated failures to deliver on its promises promotes the perception that it is a failing enterprise, unable to compete. Bad PR...
    12-20-11 06:05 PM
    I think this is true for me but in another manner. I think the performance of the Playbook itself is stellar so i'm holding off to see what the QNX phones are like.
    12-21-11 08:52 PM
77 ... 234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD