09-28-13 02:38 AM
62 123
tools
    Aahhhhh and there we have it. Well I'm an American but you don't see me donating money to Bank of America. Keep the emotions out of it and you might hold on to more of your own money.
    Donating? Donating would imply that that someone doesn't get anything for their money, which obviously isn't true.

I love when people get on these forums and tell other people what to do with their own money. God only knows the temper tantrum you threw or wanted to throw when you found out that people spent THEIR OWN money on a Porsche Design P'9981, still running OS7.

Stop acting like you're the one that has to foot the bill for the devices other people buy.
    09-26-13 02:47 PM
    I think it is hard for Blackberry to predict what they will be introducing in March 2014. They might be out of the hardware business even before that.
    09-26-13 02:59 PM
    It's incredible to think that a company would continue to produce devices that the market has uniformly rejected. How will BB10 be different 6-12 months from now? Blackberry's engineering team is being gutted even as Apple, Google, and Microsoft pour resources at developing the phones of the future. If development were to continue, BB10 would fall farther and farther behind.

But development will not continue. There will be no more BB10 devices, no more BB10, and no more Blackberry.

Palm and Amiga still have active user groups.
    uhhhhh Palm and Amiga don't have their hands in the pockets of the government and big businesses. They never did.

While the hardware probably won't be as widely available to consumers anymore, I hate to break it to you, but BlackBerry will be around in some form or another for the foreseeable future.

You think the Pentagon and U.S. government is going to scrap their entire network of BlackBerrys?? Here's a little reading for you. While this has NOTHING to do with the consumer market, it has EVERYTHING to do with the direction BlackBerry will probably be headed in.

Defense Readies Networks for Latest BlackBerrys - Nextgov.com
    09-26-13 02:59 PM
    I think it is hard for Blackberry to predict what they will be introducing in March 2014. They might be out of the hardware business even before that.
    Agreed. But look at the wording in the article. It doesnt even confirm they will have any new products in March. The title is just worded to make it sound like they will. Sad sad times
    09-26-13 03:08 PM
    uhhhhh Palm and Amiga don't have their hands in the pockets of the government and big businesses. They never did.

While the hardware probably won't be as widely available to consumers anymore, I hate to break it to you, but BlackBerry will be around in some form or another for the foreseeable future.

You think the Pentagon and U.S. government is going to scrap their entire network of BlackBerrys?? Here's a little reading for you. While this has NOTHING to do with the consumer market, it has EVERYTHING to do with the direction BlackBerry will probably be headed in.

Do you think the US Government might actually be taking a pause at the moment? Considering all the recent news, and the fact that they will now (maybe) be dealing with a private entity - and not a publically listed company. They may have an issue with that.
    09-26-13 08:00 PM
    i dont see what is so bad about this. They brought out 5 new devices in less than 12 months.

They now have a full touch screen
    high end qwerty
    low end qwerty
    phablet
    renewed bb OS 7 device

Not to mention releasing a brand new os (10.2 releasing soon), BES10.1 and (almost cross platform BBM)

Apple brings out one device a year for 5 years and no one says anything.

Blackberry bring out 5 per year and then don't plan on anything for 5 months and everyone loses their mind.

Please explain the logic
    09-27-13 08:08 AM

DId you even read the article you linked?

Pickart said on Tuesday, “We are moving toward a secure mobile communications infrastructure that supports a variety of devices, to include BlackBerry. By establishing an agnostic, multi-vendor environment, we've minimized the impact of a single vendor to our current operations.
    The government is not "stuck" with BlackBerries. It has been stated before that the same network that provides the level of security that no one else has, is also a very weak link in keeping communications always available. The outages a couple of years ago highlighted this weakness. Along with the fact that BlackBerry's demise has been coming for a long time.
    09-27-13 09:26 AM
    Apple brings out one device a year for 5 years and no one says anything.

Blackberry bring out 5 per year and then don't plan on anything for 5 months and everyone loses their mind.

Please explain the logic
    People bought the iPhone. No one is buying the current crop of BB10 devices. For BBRY to survive, they have to release new devices that people will buy.
    09-27-13 09:42 AM
    Ozarka, do you understand their business model?

Posted via CB10
    09-27-13 10:45 AM
    Ozarka, do you understand their business model?
    The business models for AAPL and BBRY are the same: sell devices.

They both do plenty of other things. BBRY has QNX, BES, services, and whatever else. But the reason RIMM stock was over $150 in 2007 was because they were selling a lot of devices. The reason BBRY stock is under $9 today is because they are no longer selling a meaningful number of devices.

From the earnings report:
    "During the second quarter the company recognized hardware revenue on approximately 3.7 million BlackBerry smartphones. Most of the units recognized are BlackBerry 7 devices..."

Low margin (old devices to emerging markets) and low volume (3.7 million) is fine... unless you just spent billions in engineering your own OS and six different high end products. BES and BBM may exist next year, but BB10 won't.
    09-27-13 04:10 PM
    I guess our opinions differ, in order for BlackBerry to survive I don't think they have to sell a meaningful amount of devices.

Posted via CB10
    09-27-13 04:32 PM
    This is good, 6 month replacement cycles are nasty! Samsung runs about 8 months between S3 and S4, and iPhone does annual, which is ideal, in my opinion. Release 2 devices every 6 months? High end qwerty and touch and then lower end later?

Posted by Z10
    So where is the Z10 replacement device? It'll be a year old by end January.
    Not talking bout the Z30 but a phone that rings in around 4.3 inches.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk 4
    09-28-13 02:38 AM
62 123