Beijing-based computer manufacturer Lenovo Group Ltd.
    actively considered a bid for BlackBerry Ltd., but the Canadian
    government told the smartphone company it would not accept
    a Chinese takeover because of national security concerns,
    according to sources familiar with the situation.
    Ottawa made it clear in high-level discussions with BlackBerry
    that it would not approve a Chinese company buying a
    company deeply tied into Canadas telecom infrastructure,
    sources said. The government made its position known over
    the last one to two months. Because Ottawa made it clear
    such a transaction would not fly, it never formally received a
    proposal from BlackBerry that envisioned Lenovo acquiring a
    stake, sources said.

Lenovo pursued BlackBerry bid, but Ottawa rejected idea - The Globe and Mail
    11-05-13 11:11 AM
    I'm shocked.
    11-05-13 11:13 AM
    Ottawa actually told em "Don't even bother" as soon as they caught a whiff they were planning on making a bid.
    11-05-13 11:15 AM
    Not surprised...
    11-05-13 11:17 AM
    To all those who made a scene about how the gov would let a Chinese company buy bb, checkmate.

Posted via CB10
    11-05-13 11:39 AM
    To all those who made a scene about how the gov would let a Chinese company buy bb, checkmate.

Posted via CB10
    a checkmate for the shareholders definitely
    11-05-13 11:47 AM
    Wasn't the Chinese Gov't spying on the US & others. Well before Snowden. Early last year? They were working out of the Chinese Army building, 7th floor (?) & the USG was able to link everything back to a specific floor, IP addresses.......
    11-05-13 11:53 AM
    a checkmate for the shareholders definitely
    Hardly...that's not how business works. Buyouts are not a saving grace and lenovo was probably after quite a few patents.

Better to have a ceo and director who know what they want to do -- building the business for the long term, continuing it's path, but a better direction.

Posted via CB10
    11-05-13 12:05 PM
    The government gets it right? Lol

Posted via CB10
    11-05-13 12:14 PM
    Hardly...that's not how business works. Buyouts are not a saving grace and lenovo was probably after quite a few patents.

Better to have a ceo and director who know what they want to do -- building the business for the long term, continuing it's path, but a better direction.

Posted via CB10
    You have no idea what the new management team are planning. They may well be about to asset strip. Lenovo may well have had a longer term, tech based plan.
    11-05-13 12:36 PM
    Lenovo was after Obama's BlackBerry
    metz9444 and SK122387 like this.
    11-05-13 12:44 PM
    You have no idea what the new management team are planning. They may well be about to asset strip. Lenovo may well have had a longer term, tech based plan.
    So, you're saying I have no idea what new management is planning, even though there's already been statements made?

But you DO know what Lenovo, who made no official announcements of plans, did, in fact, make?

Please...
    11-05-13 12:45 PM
    So, you're saying I have no idea what new management is planning, even though there's already been statements made?
    You've been around long enough CB and Blackberry to know statements made by CEOs, may be reversed tomorrow.

Might be best to stop reading their lips and watch what they do.
    11-05-13 12:51 PM
    You've been around long enough CB and Blackberry to know statements made by CEOs, may be reversed tomorrow.

Might be best to stop reading their lips and watch what they do.
    Fair enough, I never stated that was fact though. Simply there was more evidence to support my claim than that Lenovo would maintain BB as is.
    11-05-13 12:55 PM
    Bunch of hyprocites.
    11-05-13 01:00 PM
    I am actually surprised people actually believed the government would let BB go. Too many NATO players to let it happen.
    11-05-13 01:12 PM
    I am actually surprised people actually believed the government would let BB go. Too many NATO players to let it happen.
    Agreed.

Posted via CB10
    11-05-13 01:35 PM
    NATO can go with Android, iPhone and BYOD for all I care, like every other petarded (Petarded - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) government organization in the world. If these organizations' demands aren't enough to sustain a profitable business for BlackBerry, then what did they expect would happen?

Also...
    It is not like the NSA isn't already spying on NATO and the likes. Would not be surprised if NSA also tapped the president's BlackBerry already. NSA is like a loose cannon, lying to everyone, just because they can (one case of too important + big to fail, more so than the banks).
    danprown likes this.
    11-05-13 01:37 PM
    Bunch of hyprocites.
    Who is that directed at?
    11-05-13 02:12 PM
    I'm not surprised that Harper and Co. intervened but thinking about aside from the politics It could have been a very nice pairing. I saw a youtube video the other day for the Lenovo Yoga Tablet Launch and they did 100X better job of getting my interest then anything Blackberry did on BB10 launch day.

It's a dead horse but even look at the product spokesperson, Ashton Kutcher. Yes, it's a obvious marketing ploy. But he owned up to it and made it believable, that he vested in the product and company unlike a certain musician who was just paid to act interested for the benefit of having another sponsor on her tour. Heck even his mistakes/initial awkwardness worked because he was being himself with conviction, albeit a "memorized" one.

See his fine job yourself if you have some time to kill.

Start at 3:23 - 21:05

At 12:36 - 13:55 I wished he was talking about Blackberry, but then reality stepped in.
    11-05-13 03:38 PM
    i dont get it... selling to lenovo would be a security risk, but BB going backrupt isnt?

hopefully his move works.
    11-05-13 08:58 PM
    Lenovo is primarily a hardware business. I would take the hardware (and no threat there as there hardware in so many organizations), but I'm not sure how well they would manage the software/services side.
    11-05-13 09:45 PM
    I am happy with it...i don't want Lenevo to steel BlackBerry at ridiculous low price...i would rather see them put a fight under new CEO with thier niche enterprise customer base.

Posted via CB10
    11-05-13 10:00 PM