05-17-15 08:35 AM
210 ... 6789
tools
    Thanks for getting the number. Math isn't my strong suit, but I am pretty darn sure that 0.4% is less than 1.0%.
    Depending on the exact number it could be 0.5 as well, but yeah.
    Installed base is 37 million out of ~2.4 billion*100= 1.54%
    And IIRC the majority of that should actually be BBOS.

No problem.
    04-01-15 02:37 PM
    I completely agree there.
    The way the iPhone handles that, is ridiculously complicated.

Same for email file attachments.
    It's honestly puzzling, why people actually appreciate it, to be that limited, when it comes down to something as easy and essential as file sharing.
    Actually sharing a file between Apple devices is ridiculously easy with air drop. No email or cloud services required.
    Last edited by ADGrant; 04-01-15 at 11:11 PM.
    04-01-15 02:42 PM
    Depending on the exact number it could be 0.5 as well, but yeah.

No problem!
    It's closer to 0.5%.

Also the number depends on what we're talking about. If we're talking share of Smartphone shipments in 2014 then BlackBerry is less than 0.5%. If we're talking share of total Mobile Phone shipments in 2014 then it's less than 0.4%.

If we're talking active Smartphone install base worldwide then the number is less than 2%. More specifically somewhere around the ~1.7% mark.
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    04-01-15 02:42 PM
    Actually sharing a file between Apple devices is ridiculously with air drop. No email or cloud services required.
    I know.
    But... 90% of the smartphone world doesn't even have access to Air Drop.

And if I have an Android or BlackBerry, I could use the SD card in them to have a mass storage device with me or I could just use Bluetooth, like the world already did back then when SymbianS60 was still a thing.

It's closer to 0.5%.

Also the number depends on what we're talking about. If we're talking share of Smartphone shipments in 2014 then BlackBerry is less than 0.5%. If we're talking share of total Mobile Phone shipments in 2014 then it's less than 0.4%.

If we're talking active Smartphone install base worldwide then the number is less than 2%. More specifically somewhere around the ~1.7% mark.
    Edited my post above.
    04-01-15 02:49 PM
    Edited my post above.
    Just seen it. Good edit.

You make a good point about BBOS7 Vs BB10.

If we look at BB10 smartphone sales in 2014 then BlackBerry 10 only has a share in smartphone shipment of ~0.35%.

Frankly that's terrible.
    04-01-15 02:55 PM
    I know.

And if I have an Android or BlackBerry, I could use the SD card in them to have a mass storage device with me or I could just use Bluetooth, like the world already did back then when SymbianS60 was still a thing.

Edited my post above.
    perhaps but in many parts of the U.S. about 50% of the phones appear to support air drop.
    04-01-15 04:22 PM
    Why don't you go for a Classic?

Posted via CB10
    Sprint doesn't carry it, and I've no intention of leaving Sprint. Besides, the Q10 does all I want.
    04-01-15 06:02 PM
    I know.

Edited my post above.
    That didn't work out to well for Symbian as I recall. I never realized that there was a problem sharing files in iOS until I read it here.
    04-07-15 01:44 PM
    That didn't work out to well for Symbian as I recall. I never realized that there was a problem sharing files in iOS until I read it here.
    It worked perfectly for Symbian.
    That Symbian just wasn't capable to be transformed into a modern OS is an entirely different issue.

Every single Android (90% of the market, since you didn't like the Symbian reference) can share via Bluetooth, and every single one that has an SD card slot can do even more.

If you didn't know that the iPhone has problems with sharing to other platforms, then you either do not have enough iPhones around you, or simply don't care for traditional sharing methods.

Basically nothing works, except for clouds and email.
    And emails are annoying when you have more than one attachment, since the iPhone has no user accessible file manager.
    Meaning, that you have to go into the app where the file extension will be used (jpg in the pics app, pdfs in the PDF app, etc).

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2014/05...hone-and-ipad/

"
    In iOS, sending multiple attachments in an email is not something for the faint of heart. The word cumbersome gets new meaning when applied to this process. In fact, for those who like or need to quickly send multiple attachments on an iOS device the lack of an easy way to do this is enough to make you wonder where all the talk about iOS devices being used for business and the enterprise comes from.
    But, as they say, theres an App for that. Actually there are several. While they will all get the job done, none of the available solutions make this an easy task. Thats not the Apps fault. The blame lies squarely with Apple. iOS doesnt let Apps talk to each other easily, and iOS doesnt have a file system. Files you create on an iPhone or iPad are stored in separate file stores within the App that you created them in. These limitations make sending multiple attachments difficult. Even third party storage and syncing Apps like Dropbox and Google Drive are challenged by this. Bluntly, to email multiple attachments on iPhone or iPad is a black-eye for Apple.

Apple prefers you to think of sending an attachment as sharing a file to an email recipient. Sharing sounds nice, but when it comes to sharing multiple documents the limitations can turn you into a selfish miser. You go to the App where you create the file, or to Dropbox, open or select the file (some Apps approach this differently) and use a Share Sheet to share the file as an attachment via email. Thats great if you only need to share one file at a time. Unless it comes to photos, and then you can select and share up to five photos at a time.

But you cant natively share multiple non-photo files you may have selected in an App. For those trying to get real work done, that can quickly turn into an exercise in frustration."

The article also offers some solutions, but honestly, sharing is one of the worst things ever, on iOS.
    It's honestly so bad, that Symbian S60 did it better.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    04-07-15 06:09 PM
    It worked perfectly for Symbian.
    That Symbian just wasn't capable to be transformed into a modern OS is an entirely different issue.

Every single Android (90% of the market, since you didn't like the Symbian reference) can share via Bluetooth, and every single one that has an SD card slot can do even more.

If you didn't know that the iPhone has problems with sharing to other platforms, then you either do not have enough iPhones around you, or simply don't care for traditional sharing methods.

Basically nothing works, except for clouds and email.
    And emails are annoying when you have more than one attachment, since the iPhone has no user accessible file manager.
    Meaning, that you have to go into the app where the file extension will be used (jpg in the pics app, pdfs in the PDF app, etc).

How to Email Multiple Attachments on iPhone and iPad

"
    In iOS, sending multiple attachments in an email is not something for the faint of heart. The word cumbersome gets new meaning when applied to this process. In fact, for those who like or need to quickly send multiple attachments on an iOS device the lack of an easy way to do this is enough to make you wonder where all the talk about iOS devices being used for business and the enterprise comes from.
    But, as they say, “there’s an App for that.” Actually there are several. While they will all get the job done, none of the available solutions make this an easy task. That’s not the App’s fault. The blame lies squarely with Apple. iOS doesn’t let Apps talk to each other easily, and iOS doesn’t have a file system. Files you create on an iPhone or iPad are stored in separate file stores within the App that you created them in. These limitations make sending multiple attachments difficult. Even third party storage and syncing Apps like Dropbox and Google Drive are challenged by this. Bluntly, to email multiple attachments on iPhone or iPad is a black-eye for Apple.

Apple prefers you to think of sending an attachment as “sharing” a file to an email recipient. Sharing sounds nice, but when it comes to sharing multiple documents the limitations can turn you into a selfish miser. You go to the App where you create the file, or to Dropbox, open or select the file (some Apps approach this differently) and use a Share Sheet to share the file as an attachment via email. That’s great if you only need to share one file at a time. Unless it comes to photos, and then you can select and share up to five photos at a time.

But you can’t natively share multiple non-photo files you may have selected in an App. For those trying to get “real work” done, that can quickly turn into an exercise in frustration."

The article also offers some solutions, but honestly, sharing is one of the worst things ever, on iOS.
    It's honestly so bad, that Symbian S60 did it better.
    I have been using and iPhone since the 3S or whatever the name of it was. We use google docs and dropbox because the work so well. And now you can use iCloud for non Apple app files. I've just never run into a problem.
    04-07-15 09:10 PM
    Sadly Kevin Who?? Never was a clear explanation from him .
    Bonnie Bonzai likes this.
    04-08-15 05:51 AM
    I think the whole email attachments thing is kind of a canard.

It hasn't slowed iPhone sales after all. Email just isn't as important as it used to be.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    04-08-15 01:33 PM
    I think the whole email attachments thing is kind of a canard.

It hasn't slowed iPhone sales after all. Email just isn't as important as it used to be.

As much as I rely on email, I have a hard time disagreeing with you.
    04-08-15 01:47 PM
    As much as I rely on email, I have a hard time disagreeing with you.
    Email is still important, but I only send about 10% of email with attachments and maybe 1% with multiple attachments. Of course different people have different needs, this is just my own experience with email.
    04-08-15 02:32 PM
    Email is still important, but I only send about 10% of email with attachments and maybe 1% with multiple attachments. Of course different people have different needs, this is just my own experience with email.
    Agreed. I send a ton, but few have attachments.
    04-08-15 03:12 PM
    Regardless its a weak email client that fails on such a basic task.

04-08-15 03:21 PM
    Regardless its a weak email client that fails on such a basic task.

True, but I was just pointing out why people may not notice or be bothered that much about this.

Also even if they are bothered, BB is not the first option they go to as Android supports multiple atttachements in emails since it was created.
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    04-08-15 03:59 PM
    True, but I was just pointing out why people may not notice or be bothered that much about this.

Also even if they are bothered, BB is not the first option they go to as Android supports multiple atttachements in emails since it was created.
    I agree.

04-08-15 04:26 PM

Bingo.

Therein is the rub. If ecosystem is the most important piece -- and I hold that it is -- even if iOS email/file handling is a deal-breaker, there are other OS options for folks looking to have easy access to the best apps and accessories.
    04-08-15 04:35 PM
    Bingo.

Therein is the rub. If ecosystem is the most important piece -- and I hold that it is -- even if iOS email/file handling is a deal-breaker, there are other OS options for folks looking to have easy access to the best apps and accessories.
    I am very curious if this is going to change with iOS given Apple's increased interest in enterprise, in addition to increasing RAM.
    04-08-15 05:44 PM
    Bingo.

There are other email client options for iOS including ones from Microsoft and Google. My preference is Dropbox.
    04-09-15 07:00 AM
    I could care less I love my Passport. I do think though that blackberry missed a huge opportunity with the passport. I think the passport is the phone that could have really put blackberry back on the map at least respect wise in the US. They messed up big time. Not having it available in stores for consumers to get their hands on it and play around with it and see the difference. I have meet so many people intrigued by my phone. Had a co-worker saying she was in AT&T looking for my phone to purchase (obviously before the AT&T version of passport) and couldn't find it so she got an android phone. IMO blackberry still make beautiful, quality, and well designed phones. Their app situation has improved significantly and they are still top in mobile security. Sad thing is no one knows I have sold so many people on BB10 phones that had no idea blackberry was offering what they offer now in terms of screen size, apps, and specs.

Posted via CB10
    05-03-15 05:57 AM
    "Its an early good sign"
    Less would be unfair,
    More would be overly optimistic from an 'analyst'.

Posted via CB10
    05-03-15 01:45 PM
    I've just a checked (fast) my sent folder on my (mostly work) Passport.
    Over 40% have attachments, 50% of them with 2 or more files.

Posted via CB10
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    05-03-15 01:49 PM
    Care about what other people think and you will always be their prisoner. Lao Tzu

Do YOU like your phone?
    Do YOU enjoy using your phone?
    If you answered "yes" then that is all that matters.
    It's all that matters for now, yet it could prove problematic when BlackBerry decides to discontinue their hardware business because of missing sales.

Posted via CB10
    MarsupilamiX and kbz1960 like this.
    05-05-15 01:28 PM
210 ... 6789