05-17-15 09:35 AM
210 ... 45678 ...
tools
    But that's the big question - will they sell enough to continue making hardware? Sorry to say it's not looking good. Hardware sales continue to decline. Until you start seeing quarter after quarter of stabilized sale of hardware, it is worrisome. Already I was unable to buy BlackBerry hardware that I was interested in because it did not come to my carrier (Passport/Verizon). BlackBerry is having increasing difficulty keeping carriers interested. I am clearly not the target customer of BlackBerry any more. I will stick with them as long as I can, because they have the OS I like, and feel the most productive on - but things are not looking great for me and continued BlackBerry use down the road, sad to say. And before someone starts telling me to switch carriers - my phone, and plan, are paid for by my company - on Verizon.

Posted via CB10
    Well... they are making a profit now it seems, so I guess it's in not too bad. The future will tell, hopefully, Chen will manage a healthy way of making decent business with a smaller market share
    03-30-15 02:49 PM
    Did Dumbledore start plagiarising Yoda?
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    03-30-15 03:12 PM
    I like this point. Blackberry can do a great job of selling their enterprise phone to the enterprise customer, however, his or her family will mostly be using consumer phones - at least they will be mostly consumers. So why can we FaceTime and iMessage everyone else but Daddy?
    Agree. BlackBerry have really lost the consumer market which they actually had with them for a while.

They really had the opportunity to do a lot more with BBM as well but didn't do much to keep people on the software, let alone the hardware.

and what are these devices than can outperformed Apple? Go to Anandtech and show me a phone that does better then the latest Iphones....even phones with 3Gb ram and more cores Cpu cannot beat the Iphones.
    There are plenty of devices that run faster and perform better than the iPhone.

Benchmarks are not always indicative of real world performance.

Go to Safari on an iPhone 6 and load 5 tabs playing video. It'll slow and crash. Do the same on an Note 4 or something and it's fine.
    03-30-15 03:13 PM
    The Z10 and Z30 are the best phones i have ever owned.

  
    Ditto. And the Z10, followed chronologically by the Z30, are the only BlackBerry devices I have ever owned.
    03-30-15 03:15 PM
    Sorry Dumbledore, this little fella was first:

No! Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try.

--YODA, Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back

Read more at Top 10 Best Yoda Quotes

  Passposted while waiting for the Zzzzzlider....  
    Sorry Prem, I responded to the picture before I saw your correction!
    Prem WatsApp likes this.
    03-30-15 03:17 PM
    Only inventing a new product category and revolutionizing how digital media is created, distributed, and consumed. You know...that kind of innovation.
    Re-inventing. The iPod wasn't the first or best digital audio player when it arrived and Symbian phones had apps before the iPhone was a twinkle in Steve Jobs's eye. They sold on looks and spectacular marketing. I agree that distribution and consumption were revolutionised, but I don't see a creation revolution either. They also had to take a lesson on DRM.
    03-30-15 03:24 PM
    Benchmarks are not always indicative of real world performance.

Go to Safari on an iPhone 6 and load 5 tabs playing video. It'll slow and crash. Do the same on an Note 4 or something and it's fine.
    That sort of use is rather unusual for most people, though.

What I do wish is that Apple would stick 2GB RAM in their phones. I don't run 5 videos at a time but I do typically have 12-15 tabs open and reloading when I switch is annoying.
    03-30-15 03:37 PM
    It has been almost 2 years since Apple introduced the 64 bit soc ...what BB use it? why Qualcomm rush to manufacture similar soc if that is not innovation? who introduce great camera phones in the market before Apple? why Blackberry released the Storm if the iphone was not an innovation?
    64-bit SoC built on chip designs from ARM. FTFY.
    03-30-15 03:43 PM
    That sort of use is rather unusual for most people, though.

What I do wish is that Apple would stick 2GB RAM in their phones. I don't run 5 videos at a time but I do typically have 12-15 tabs open and reloading when I switch is annoying.
    Yeh bit of a bad example tbh. Which kind of invalidates my previous point about benchmarks not representing real world use haha.

Guess what I'm trying to say is that a benchmark doesn't tell the whole story and other devices which benchmark lower may actually have better specs, performance and additional features that matter in real world use (e.g better camera or more RAM for caching data)
    03-30-15 03:43 PM
    More Z10s were sold than any other BB10 device. The problem with the Z10 was that BlackBerry committed to building many more than demand required. Hence the write down. It would be no problem for BlackBerry to sell niche quantities of a high end all touch. I bet it would do better than Classic and Passport.

To say that there is no demand for a flagship all touch ignores the obvious.
    When I said that users didn't want them, I meant the majority of the existing BlackBerry base that BlackBerry was counting on to convert over to BB10. BlackBerry had something like 80 million users at the time and something like 2 million(?) bought BB10 devices.

Niche quantities that are profitable would be fine, but Chen said the target is to have around 10 million to have the hardware division profitable. We're not at that point yet.

I'm not saying there is no demand for a flagship full touch. I have both the Z10 and Z30. I'm saying that users have a hard time adopting new form factors (even old, rehashed ones). People were skeptical of the Passport, then complained about going backwards with the Classic. People want a full touch instead of a slider. BlackBerry, if anything, is trying many different forms. That's not what is holding them back.
    03-30-15 03:49 PM
    BlackBerry financials.
    Which may be the case, but you're usually pretty good at explicitly pointing out the data. How are you arriving at an ~$230 loss per device?
    03-30-15 03:55 PM
    Which may be the case, but you're usually pretty good at explicitly pointing out the data. How are you arriving at an ~$230 loss per device?
    (Total Hardware revenue)

Minus

(Cost of Hardware sales, Marketing, sales admin, R&D)

Divided by

(Number of units sold)
    dolco likes this.
    03-30-15 04:10 PM
    Lol no.1 trend on CB[Article] The Guardian: Crackberry days are over as sales fall.-sandcastles.png
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    03-30-15 04:14 PM
    Here, a lovely picture of cats.
    I hope you feel better now
    http://m.quickmeme.com/img/cf/cfbbbb...ea50ce6a2f.jpg
    Yeah I feel much better
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    03-30-15 04:19 PM
    Guys BlackBerry is selling a very small amount of phones but is making profit. Now all they have to do is increase their sales and profit will rise as well and things will fall back into place. There will be more to do on Crackberry and Kevin will be back, right now he is busy on the other fronts as there is more work that needs to be done there. So hold your horses, it is idiotic to think that things will turn around for BlackBerry in a couple of years after it went through huge losses. I say it will take at least 2-3 years more for them to be where they were at their peak.

Posted via CB10 on the Q10 with OS 10.3.2.158
    It is extraordinarily unlikely that they will ever be where they were at their peak again. They fell enormously behind. In addition, the market is no longer dominated by cell phone companies like Nokia but rather huge, integrated companies like Apple and Samsung that are vastly bigger than BB. The question isn't when they will return to where they were at their peak but whether they continue selling hardware.
    JeepBB likes this.
    03-30-15 04:20 PM
    http://i3.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/...10/473/63b.jpg

Can I quote you for future references?
    I mean, since it's an official Frank quote now...
    Would it be ok?
    Off-topic, but hilarious. A Yoda quote, attributed to Dumbledore, with a picture of Gandalf to go with it. This thing reminds me of a Xiami phone :-).

Q10/10.3.1.2582
    03-30-15 04:28 PM
    Why does the American media hate BB? Any American BB users here? BB's market share there is less than 1%, right?
    03-30-15 04:40 PM
    Sorry Dumbledore, this little fella was first:

No! Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try.

--YODA, Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back

Read more at http://www.top10-best.com/y/top_10_b...da_quotes.html

  Passposted while waiting for the Zzzzzlider....  
    Did Dumbledore start plagiarising Yoda?
    And the pic actually was Gandalf...
    Now think about that :O

Hint: they are called troll quotes
    m3mb3rsh1p and aha like this.
    03-30-15 04:41 PM
    I actually like it this way.

My Passport is a beautiful, perfect phone. There aren't many out there, it has a "wow" factor around it. It's different, I'm different. It fits my lifestyle. As long as they keep making premium devices at competitive price, I'll keep buying them.
    03-30-15 04:50 PM
    (Total Hardware revenue)

Minus

(Cost of Hardware sales, Marketing, sales admin, R&D)

Divided by

(Number of units sold)
    Could you fill in the numbers?

How are you segretating out the portion of hardware in marketing, sales admin, and R&D?
    03-30-15 04:59 PM
    Why does the American media hate BB? Any American BB users here? BB's market share there is less than 1%, right?
    Guardian isn't an American Newspaper. Oh and the USA probably still generates more revenue for BlackBerry than any other country in the world.

Posted via CB10
    03-30-15 06:53 PM
    As noted the Guardian is not US, rather English. Lots of people from the U.S. Here. BB's worldwide market share is about 0.5% from what I can tell. It isn't a US problem.
    JeepBB, sentimentGX4 and jegs2 like this.
    03-30-15 07:07 PM
    I will use the Z30 till it dies and then retreat to my Krazr I guess.
    Posted via CB10
    I remember those!

For me, possibly a Windows 10 phone with the ability to share apps with my laptop or an Ubuntu phone which can handle custom scripts. I am hoping that the handset business stands firm, though; nothing compares to the efficiency of a Blackberry (although, I do find 10.3 to be an efficiency downgrade from 10.2).
    03-31-15 01:59 AM
    03-31-15 04:41 AM
    I love no device, but my Q10 fits my desires and preferences for a personal communication device better than others out there, for the time being.

I have no loyalty to any company or corporation, and if a personal communication device comes to market that I prefer over BlackBerry, then when it's time to upgrade I'll choose another device.

Posted via CB10
    KR2013 likes this.
    03-31-15 08:33 AM
210 ... 45678 ...