05-17-15 08:35 AM
210 ... 34567 ...
tools
    No it wouldn't be different.

You see, that's what I'm trying to avoid. This is NOT a BlackBerry vs Apple debate. I honestly have NOT seen Apple do anything to be classed as innovative!

All I've seen from them is superb marketing skills, and that's why I say they just painted the wheel (as opposed to re-inventing it).

Posted via CB10 (Q10SQN100-3/10.3.1.2582)
    This is an old argument for people who don't like Apple. Marketing was a large part of it but innovation was too. Do you know what IBM said to them when Apple designed the first PC? "People don't want computers in their homes". How did that work out? BTW. I own no Apple products but I give them their due.

Be classically hip with the BlackBerry Classic
    03-30-15 10:52 AM

You see, that's what I'm trying to avoid. This is NOT a BlackBerry vs Apple debate. I honestly have NOT seen Apple do anything to be classed as innovative!

All I've seen from them is superb marketing skills, and that's why I say they just painted the wheel (as opposed to re-inventing it).

Apple is arguably the most highly covered tech company in the world. If all you gather is that their success is only from marketing, you aren't looking very hard.

They have been around for 30+ years and have done way too much to be summarized here, from tech to design to manufacturing to media. If you want to start with some more recent hard core technical info, go browse Anandtech for information on their custom SoC. If you want to see expert commentary on their manufacturing chops and focused attention to quality read this review on how they likely make their watches.
    JeepBB, MikeX74, Alvin Loh and 1 others like this.
    03-30-15 11:04 AM
    This is an old argument for people who don't like Apple. Marketing was a large part of it but innovation was too. Do you know what IBM said to them when Apple designed the first PC? "People don't want computers in their homes". How did that work out? BTW. I own no Apple products but I give them their due.

My point, which still remains unanswered is based on the definition of innovation:

" The act of introducing something new"

BUT, i'll end there as I think this is turning into a BlackBerry vs Apple debate, and ultimately I don't do that... what matters is the device in YOUR hand and what YOU want to do with it.

Many thanks though for the conversation.

Posted via CB10 (ClassicSQC100-1/10.3.1.2582)
    03-30-15 11:05 AM
    Care about what other people think and you will always be their prisoner. Lao Tzu

Do YOU like your phone?
    Do YOU enjoy using your phone?
    If you answered "yes" then that is all that matters.
    No that is NOT all that matters, especially if one wants their next phone to be a BlackBerry too.

Posted via CB10
    03-30-15 11:07 AM
    My point, which still remains unanswered is based on the definition of innovation:

BUT, i'll end there as I think this is turning into a BlackBerry vs Apple debate, and ultimately I don't do that... what matters is the device in YOUR hand and what YOU want to do with it.

Many thanks though for the conversation.

Posted via CB10 (ClassicSQC100-1/10.3.1.2582)
    Nothing wrong with differing viewpoints. Have a great day!

moyah8 likes this.
    03-30-15 11:08 AM
    Apple is arguably the most highly covered tech company in the world. If all you gather is that their success is only from marketing, you aren't looking very hard.

They have been around for 30+ years and have done way too much to be summarized here, from tech to design to manufacturing to media. If you want to start with some more recent hard core technical info, go browse Anandtech for information on their custom SoC. If you want to see expert commentary on their manufacturing chops and focused attention to quality read this review on how they likely make their watches.
    Well said. While innovation can be subjective, there is no denying what Apple has accomplished in the tech field. Most others are followers.

techvisor likes this.
    03-30-15 11:09 AM
    Partly true,
    When BB itself don't want to sell their great phones aggressively then what can be expected from media ?
    crackberry_geek and moyah8 like this.
    03-30-15 11:13 AM
    Speciality car manufacturers sell far less than the likes of GM etc. But their still profitable thus remain viable. As long as they are making money per unit we should be fine. Lord knows I don't want any other mobile device. Typing on my Samsung Tablet is utterly painful compared to BlackBerry OS and I have tried all the various keyboards. None compare. And the home buttons on Android and iOS are like so 2011 or older. If the lemmings would try just BlackBerry 10....Not to mention email.....
    Specialty car manufacturers are all owned by the big brands because guess what! they cannot survive on their own.
    JeepBB and MarsupilamiX like this.
    03-30-15 11:31 AM
    Like... "IT'S THE GUARDIAN" What exactly do you expect. Same league as BGR and The Verge. They have a history of Blackberry bashing and generally poor reporting.... Guess they missed the memo. Chen has already stated all BB needs to sell is 10 million to be profitable. As they are in transition from old legacy and many of sales have not been reported from this quarter. Unsure why any of this is news. Unless of course they really think BB competes with Apple or Android any more. Sad people keep falling for this drivel.
    Usual thinking of fanboys...it is "this and That what do you expect?" I hear this phrase all the time if a reporter say something bad about Blackberry..
    03-30-15 11:37 AM
    "failing to keep up with innovation from Apple and other smartphone makers"....

That is what gets me. I am yet to be highlighted on the "innovation" that came from Apple. Can someone please enlighten me?

PS:
    I am NOT turning this into a BlackBerry vs Apple debate... I am just seeking knowledge on my ignorance when it comes to Apple's innovation.
    It has been almost 2 years since Apple introduced the 64 bit soc ...what BB use it? why Qualcomm rush to manufacture similar soc if that is not innovation? who introduce great camera phones in the market before Apple? why Blackberry released the Storm if the iphone was not an innovation?
    techvisor likes this.
    03-30-15 11:52 AM
    It has been almost 2 years since Apple introduced the 64 bit soc ...what BB use it? why Qualcomm rush to manufacture similar soc if that is not innovation? who introduce great camera phones in the market before Apple? why Blackberry released the Storm if the iphone was not an innovation?
    Nokia was there well before Apple and had and still has among the best camera phones out there (Nokia/MS). But agreed that MS and Apple are very focused currently on being among the best, for both hardware and software.
    techvisor likes this.
    03-30-15 12:05 PM
    I personally don't care how big the user base of Blackberry is, as long as it is big enough to keep Blackberry on business and keep providing the kind of phone I look for.

In fact, I enjoy a lot more having a "rare" phone, than having the same phone that everybody has...
    moyah8 likes this.
    03-30-15 12:12 PM
    ^^^^^This.

Can't believe all these people that claim that all touch doesn't or won't sell when it has sold the most in the BB10 device line. They have shown they can build small quantities now, sell them on shopblackberry.com and Amazon and turn a profit. They could do this with an all touch and have a device to sell to the customers they converted to all touch. Not having anything will just **** off yet another batch of customers and have them out there telling people what they think of BlackBerry. They just can't keep abandoning customers who buy the products and keep them.

Posted via CB10
    I am at the point where I would like to replace my Z30. I tried the Passport. It is nice but the form factor is not for me. What am I to do if BlackBerry doesn't make a device that appeals to me? Is BlackBerry turning me and others like me away?

Posted via CB10
    MarsupilamiX and techvisor like this.
    03-30-15 12:13 PM

If Apple "painted the wheel" as it pertains to smartphones, then what did BlackBerry do, "polish the wheel"? Or since they are all about security, "put a boot on the wheel"?

Posted via CB10
    techvisor likes this.
    03-30-15 12:16 PM
    I am at the point where I would like to replace my Z30. I tried the Passport. It is nice but the form factor is not for me. What am I to do if BlackBerry doesn't make a device that appeals to me? Is BlackBerry turning me and others like me away?

Posted via CB10
    Yeah I'll be there around the end of this year if not earlier. T-Mobile is upgrading a lot of sites to 1900 MHZ LTE, and my STA100-5 only support 1700 MHZ LTE. Plus with any BlackBerry on T-Mobile I won't get wifi calling now since that relationship is in the crapper. Quite frankly I've given this company a lot of rope by being a week one PlayBook adopter and week one Z adopter and it appears like they are just going to write off both, and I won't give them another chance to put me out of their narrowing definition of a customer. If I don't see anything promising I'll have to move on. Sucks because I really like the BB10 OS.

Posted via CB10
    03-30-15 12:26 PM
    Yeah I'll be there around the end of this year if not earlier. T-Mobile is upgrading a lot of sites to 1900 MHZ LTE, and my STA100-5 only support 1700 MHZ LTE. Plus with any BlackBerry on T-Mobile I won't get wifi calling now since that relationship is in the crapper. Quite frankly I've given this company a lot of rope by being a week one PlayBook adopter and week one Z adopter and it appears like they are just going to write off both, and I won't give them another chance to put me out of their narrowing definition of a customer. If I don't see anything promising I'll have to move on. Sucks because I really like the BB10 OS.

Posted via CB10
    Such a common theme.

BlackBerry... are you paying attention?

Obviously NOT!

Posted via CB10
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    03-30-15 12:38 PM
    Where's your supporting data?
    BlackBerry financials.

Bro....

I have never bought an Apple device and never intend to because in my opinion they are overpriced, restrictive and less powerful than the device I can buy from a competitor.

But to say Apple did nothing to innovate in the smartphone sector is ludicrous. They quite literally defined what smartphones are today. I'm not saying they invented everything, I'm saying they bought new innovation to a market that was previously aimed at business professionals and have now created a standard by which many smartphone manufacturers and OS developers follow.

Ok, I guess I underestimated that feature phone market share, and the potential for growth... Five years seems like a long time for the market to stabilize on smartphones, very surprising. I'd think that it would happen much sooner, especially given the downward pressure on prices from Asian vendors. Reminds me of the HD TV market, it certainly didn't take that long.
    Well Smartphone growth is still there. You have to remember that the Mobile Phone is the only consumer technology where everyone has one. There are more Mobile Phones out there than radio's, bank accounts, tv's etc....

Whilst feature phones continue to decline there is high demand for new Smartphone shipments in developed markets where people replace their phone every 12-24 months. Developing markets where Smartphones are just starting to take off (India for example sell next to nothing in terms of Smartphones and have a 1 billion+ population, Their smartphone market will grow tremendously soon) and third world markets where smart devices are starting to become more affordable.

New technologies such as LTE are driving new smartphone adoption as well. All in all smartphone shipments will continue to grow year on year and will eventually settle at around 2 billion per year by 2020.

I like your posts Ahmad.
    Usually informative and with a calm I long lost in here
    Thanks mate
    03-30-15 12:49 PM
    I had a tuna sandwich for lunch today.
    MarsupilamiX, Carjackd and moyah8 like this.
    03-30-15 12:51 PM
    Too much hate on BlackBerry lately... I don't know why. My Z10 hasn't attempted to murder me these 2 years!
    LateToTheGame likes this.
    03-30-15 12:56 PM

No that's invention - innovation in a market rather than technical sense also requires replication and disruption - that the iphone wasn't the first touchscreen phone is irrelent in regards to being an innovation - it's an innovation because it's the one that people replicated (copied) and it disrupted existing players (killed off the keyboard as a mainstream device type).
    MarsupilamiX and JeepBB like this.
    03-30-15 01:07 PM
    Where is Kevin? Who cares?
    This was never a "love thing" for Kevin as it is for us. Kevin saw an opportunity to make money when "CrackBerry's" were a "thing".
    Look at his interests sites, he is into iPhones, Windows phones, Androids. He doesn't "love" BB the way we do, he is wanting to make money and is a business man.
    I think most never understood that Kevin -while always loving BlackBerries, has always utilized all platforms. So, he's never left, he's still the same Kevin. IMHO, just more multi-tasking when it comes to smartphones.

As far s the article. Yeah, sales are down......and my Z30 is still awesome.
    MarsupilamiX and RazzBerry like this.
    03-30-15 01:19 PM
    BlackBerry financials.
    You have to remember that the Mobile Phone is the only consumer technology where everyone has one. There are more Mobile Phones out there than radio's, bank accounts, tv's etc....
    I like this point. Blackberry can do a great job of selling their enterprise phone to the enterprise customer, however, his or her family will mostly be using consumer phones - at least they will be mostly consumers. So why can we FaceTime and iMessage everyone else but Daddy?
    03-30-15 01:31 PM
    Guys BlackBerry is selling a very small amount of phones but is making profit. Now all they have to do is increase their sales and profit will rise as well and things will fall back into place. There will be more to do on Crackberry and Kevin will be back, right now he is busy on the other fronts as there is more work that needs to be done there. So hold your horses, it is idiotic to think that things will turn around for BlackBerry in a couple of years after it went through huge losses. I say it will take at least 2-3 years more for them to be where they were at their peak.

Posted via CB10 on the Q10 with OS 10.3.2.158
    03-30-15 01:41 PM
    I personally don't care how big the user base of Blackberry is, as long as it is big enough to keep Blackberry on business and keep providing the kind of phone I look for.

In fact, I enjoy a lot more having a "rare" phone, than having the same phone that everybody has...
    But that's the big question - will they sell enough to continue making hardware? Sorry to say it's not looking good. Hardware sales continue to decline. Until you start seeing quarter after quarter of stabilized sale of hardware, it is worrisome. Already I was unable to buy BlackBerry hardware that I was interested in because it did not come to my carrier (Passport/Verizon). BlackBerry is having increasing difficulty keeping carriers interested. I am clearly not the target customer of BlackBerry any more. I will stick with them as long as I can, because they have the OS I like, and feel the most productive on - but things are not looking great for me and continued BlackBerry use down the road, sad to say. And before someone starts telling me to switch carriers - my phone, and plan, are paid for by my company - on Verizon.

Posted via CB10
    03-30-15 01:45 PM
    BlackBerry financials.

Bro....

I have never bought an Apple device and never intend to because in my opinion they are overpriced, restrictive and less powerful than the device I can buy from a competitor.
    and what are these devices than can outperformed Apple? Go to Anandtech and show me a phone that does better then the latest Iphones....even phones with 3Gb ram and more cores Cpu cannot beat the Iphones.
    03-30-15 01:47 PM
210 ... 34567 ...