05-17-15 08:35 AM
210 ... 23456 ...
tools
    BlackBerry needs to take some risks on the hardware side.

It is building very uninspiring devices under Chen. Passport excepted, but that was really a Heins product.

If BlackBerry wants to grow the hardware business it has to invest in it. Chen is not doing that. Chen is building phones using old parts that BlackBerry has already used to keep costs down. BlackBerry builds not many and sells those that it builds.
    BlackBerry built a slab when they were known for physical keyboards. Guess what? They took a huge write-down on inventory because users didn't want it. BlackBerry is planning on a slider. A bunch of users, now used to slabs, want a new slab instead. If anything, BlackBerry is trying out new form factors and it's the users that have problems with new ideas and concepts.
    03-30-15 01:12 AM
    When you add in additional costs such as Research and development, Marketing and sales admin then BlackBerry are making a ~$230 loss on each device sold before tax.
    Where's your supporting data?
    03-30-15 01:14 AM
    Continually comparing BlackBerry where it once was is well known history, yet it's favorite topic of reporting like a broken record being played over and over again. Fact is, the company's profitability is heading in the right direction and it's business extends beyond handsets. Everything else is pure speculation.

Z30 STA 100-3 /10.3.1.2267
    03-30-15 01:54 AM
    http://i3.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/...10/473/63b.jpg

Can I quote you for future references?
    I mean, since it's an official Frank quote now...
    Would it be ok?
    Sorry Dumbledore, this little fella was first:

No! Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try.

--YODA, Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back

Read more at http://www.top10-best.com/y/top_10_b...da_quotes.html

  Passposted while waiting for the Zzzzzlider....  
    03-30-15 02:52 AM
    the Foxconn deal was supposed to get them back on track,it didn't.Consider that foxconn was supposed to do all the marketing and distribution for the Z3 ,they are the largest phone Mfg. on the planet and how many Z3's have been sold?Why haven't we seen another collaboration from them?BB is in for some really disturbing months ahead if the leap is all they got and of course that slider.I thought that maybe Foxconn could have done a better job than BB in marketing and I'm sure they tried but you tell me what went wrong.
    Oh,I just read somewhere,the Classic is Mfgd.by foxconn,my bad.I'm guessing it was sort of payback for the hand they gave BB on the Z3,but what do I know?
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    03-30-15 04:58 AM
    BlackBerry built a slab when they were known for physical keyboards. Guess what? They took a huge write-down on inventory because users didn't want it. BlackBerry is planning on a slider. A bunch of users, now used to slabs, want a new slab instead. If anything, BlackBerry is trying out new form factors and it's the users that have problems with new ideas and concepts.
    Thing is, the slider isn't a new form factor, it is an old one. It is an old one that is failure prone because the constant opening and closing of the slider mechanism take a a toll on the phone well beyond a slab whether or not it has a physical keyboard.

About 18 months into the life of a slider with average to heavy use and you are ready to replace it.

Posted via CB10
    03-30-15 05:17 AM
    BlackBerry built a slab when they were known for physical keyboards. Guess what? They took a huge write-down on inventory because users didn't want it.
    Not sure if the failure of Z10 was because it was another slab, or due to the immature and buggy software (10.0), terrible battery life, lack of apps, or....! My guess is it was mostly due to these other factors. I personally loved the device and its form factor!
    JeepBB, TGR1, Maxxxpower and 1 others like this.
    03-30-15 05:37 AM
    Not sure if the failure of Z10 was because it was another slab, or due to the immature and buggy software (10.0), terrible battery life, lack of apps, or...
    ...the restarting issue, the drastic OS changes, BlackBerry's failure to migrate legacy users, the lack of familiarity with salespeople...
    JeepBB, TGR1, Maxxxpower and 1 others like this.
    03-30-15 05:47 AM
    More Z10s were sold than any other BB10 device. The problem with the Z10 was that BlackBerry committed to building many more than demand required. Hence the write down. It would be no problem for BlackBerry to sell niche quantities of a high end all touch. I bet it would do better than Classic and Passport.

To say that there is no demand for a flagship all touch ignores the obvious.

Posted via CB10
    lnichols, TGR1 and techvisor like this.
    03-30-15 06:26 AM
    "failing to keep up with innovation from Apple and other smartphone makers"....

That is what gets me. I am yet to be highlighted on the "innovation" that came from Apple. Can someone please enlighten me?

PS:
    I am NOT turning this into a BlackBerry vs Apple debate... I am just seeking knowledge on my ignorance when it comes to Apple's innovation.
    LateToTheGame likes this.
    03-30-15 06:50 AM
    It's obvious that the carriers still dictate what hardware Blackberry can make: AT&T - "We have plenty of slabs already. The Passport is interesting. We want an exclusive and make the corners round."
    03-30-15 06:51 AM
    Thing is, the slider isn't a new form factor, it is an old one. It is an old one that is failure prone because the constant opening and closing of the slider mechanism take a a toll on the phone well beyond a slab whether or not it has a physical keyboard.

About 18 months into the life of a slider with average to heavy use and you are ready to replace it.

Posted via CB10
    I see people everyday still using the torch on my way to and from NYC.... seems to have lasted past 18 months...
    03-30-15 07:27 AM
    failing to keep up with innovation from Apple and other smartphone makers"....

That is what gets me. I am yet to be highlighted on the "innovation" that came from Apple. Can someone please enlighten me?
    Only inventing a new product category and revolutionizing how digital media is created, distributed, and consumed. You know...that kind of innovation.
    03-30-15 08:35 AM
    Passport
    03-30-15 08:47 AM
    I guess my question is while I understand some current BlackBerry users might be interested in a slider, is everyone else? If they want to add customers I don't think a slider can do that. I could be wrong if it is unique enough and adds features that users find refreshing and useful. I guess we'll find out.

Be classically hip with the BlackBerry Classic
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    03-30-15 08:50 AM
    I guess my question is while I understand some current BlackBerry users might be interested in a slider, is everyone else? If they want to add customers I don't think a slider can do that. I could be wrong if it is unique enough and adds features that users find refreshing and useful. I guess we'll find out.
    Doubt that slider will ship with BB10. So there's that.
    03-30-15 08:52 AM
    More Z10s were sold than any other BB10 device. The problem with the Z10 was that BlackBerry committed to building many more than demand required. Hence the write down. It would be no problem for BlackBerry to sell niche quantities of a high end all touch. I bet it would do better than Classic and Passport.

Posted via CB10
    ^^^^^This.

Can't believe all these people that claim that all touch doesn't or won't sell when it has sold the most in the BB10 device line. They have shown they can build small quantities now, sell them on shopblackberry.com and Amazon and turn a profit. They could do this with an all touch and have a device to sell to the customers they converted to all touch. Not having anything will just **** off yet another batch of customers and have them out there telling people what they think of BlackBerry. They just can't keep abandoning customers who buy the products and keep them.

Posted via CB10
    techvisor likes this.
    03-30-15 08:54 AM
    As John Chen awesomely stated in one of his recent interviews after the Q4 results were announced, when asked about the non-believers and whether he was losing sleep over them, he said "they don't believe, that's their problem. I have a job to do."

People have written about Blackberry's demise for years. Nothing surprising.
    03-30-15 09:04 AM
    As John Chen awesomely stated in one of his recent interviews after the Q4 results were announced, when asked about the non-believers and whether he was losing sleep over them, he said "they don't believe, that's their problem. I have a job to do."

People have written about Blackberry's demise for years. Nothing surprising.
    So it's all about faith and not reality?

lnichols and dolco like this.
    03-30-15 09:07 AM
    I think people are missing the point of the article. It's really not an "End of BlackBerry" article. It's about the end of the Crackberry phenomenon that BlackBerry enjoyed for a few years. Big difference.

Penned via Tapatalk
    +1
    03-30-15 09:10 AM
    Only inventing a new product category and revolutionizing how digital media is created, distributed, and consumed. You know...that kind of innovation.
    Sounds like painting the wheel to me!

I've always seen innovation as more..

Posted via CB10 (ClassicSQC100-1/10.3.1.2582)
    03-30-15 09:53 AM
    Sounds like painting the wheel to me!

I've always seen innovation as more..

Posted via CB10 (ClassicSQC100-1/10.3.1.2582)
    LOL. You have to be kidding. Anyone who ignores what Apple has done is ignoring the obvious. If Blackberry had done it your answer would be different, correct?

MarsupilamiX and techvisor like this.
    03-30-15 09:58 AM
    More than inventing the whole product category? Seriously? Look at phones before the original iPhone and phones now. They are almost all essentially copies of the iPhone. Then there is the really good browser on a phone, the cross platform data and software and more.
    TgeekB, MarsupilamiX and techvisor like this.
    03-30-15 09:59 AM
    LOL. You have to be kidding. Anyone who ignores what Apple has done is ignoring the obvious. If Blackberry had done it your answer would be different, correct?

No it wouldn't be different.

You see, that's what I'm trying to avoid. This is NOT a BlackBerry vs Apple debate. I honestly have NOT seen Apple do anything to be classed as innovative!

All I've seen from them is superb marketing skills, and that's why I say they just painted the wheel (as opposed to re-inventing it).

Posted via CB10 (Q10SQN100-3/10.3.1.2582)
    03-30-15 10:03 AM
    Quite simply, once a serious breach of Android or iPhones come out, Blackberry will see a demand again. Right now, hardware is break even or slightly profitable, which is where it needs to be as they wait. Software is the mantra right now, with phones in the wings as support for full BES service or just waiting for the demand for secure phones to rise. I also see Google eventually trading better Android and Play Store connectivity for BB10 phones in return for a Blackberry secure pairing with select Android phones.
    If heard this just as long as Blackberry is dead.
    dolco likes this.
    03-30-15 10:46 AM
210 ... 23456 ...