05-17-15 09:35 AM
210 12345 ...
tools
    7/10 = well off? Also given that we're talking his first full fiscal year?

Quarters are delayed.. the next two quarters will be looking at sales from periods with discounts of Passport, Z30 and Classic(currently ongoing), initial Leap sales and continued marketing of the Z3 in current and new markets..

And that's just devices, software saw what 24% growth and the next two will also be accounting for the ending of EZ passes, see the development of the new QNX as well as BES software products(where their clientlist continues to grow), etc.

Given all this, with the current circumstances I don't see a bleak outlook..

Check Out TechCraze
    The initial spike in sales for newlyreleased devices is over. Continued sales will drop sharply (as evidenced by EVERY other example in the industry). The Leap won't be able to account for the sharp decline unless BBRY somehow convinces every single BES subscriber to replace all their current enterprise devices. Such is unlikely. The next two quarters are crucial for BBRY. If software revenue doesn't increase enough to account for the likely drop in hardware revenue, it's going to be ugly. BBRY doesn't have anything hardware-wise for the next quarter (and maybe two).

Via Tapatalk
    03-29-15 06:38 PM
    I felt really sad after I read this... Crackberry
    The headine itself is really disturbing

'Crackberry' days over as BlackBerry handset sales fall to just 8.5m | Technology | The Guardian
    This article is just tell other people what we already know. The boom days of BlackBerry handset sales are long over and as John Chen keeps saying, BlackBerry's future lies with enterprise software and services. Sure, it would be nice if hardware sales were increasing at this point, but as long as BlackBerry stays profitable and keeps making new phones, that's what matters to most of us.
    03-29-15 06:44 PM
    The boom days of BlackBerry handset sales are long over and as John Chen keeps saying, BlackBerry's future lies with enterprise software and services.
    Absolutely. And that's what most users here don't (or refuse) to grasp. I'm relatively confident that 99.9% of the users on this site are consumers, yet they just don't grasp this concept.

Via Tapatalk
    03-29-15 06:50 PM
    Where is Kevin? Who cares?
    This was never a "love thing" for Kevin as it is for us. Kevin saw an opportunity to make money when "CrackBerry's" were a "thing".
    Look at his interests sites, he is into iPhones, Windows phones, Androids. He doesn't "love" BB the way we do, he is wanting to make money and is a business man.
    You are out of your mind. Kevin was the biggest BB supporter there was, and still is, he's just not heavily involved in CrackBerry anymore. You are making a lot of assumptions that are completely false and are forgetting that you wound't be on this site if not for him.
    03-29-15 06:51 PM
    Where is Kevin? Who cares?
    This was never a "love thing" for Kevin as it is for us. Kevin saw an opportunity to make money when "CrackBerry's" were a "thing".
    Look at his interests sites, he is into iPhones, Windows phones, Androids. He doesn't "love" BB the way we do, he is wanting to make money and is a business man.
    Wow... Just.... Wow....

Until you've accomplished 1/10th of a percent of what Kevin has done in support of BB, or put forth a fraction of the aforementioned 1/10th in an effort to promote BB, then you should probably just walk away and reassess.

Via Tapatalk
    03-29-15 06:56 PM
    You are out of your mind. Kevin was the biggest BB supporter there was, and still is, he's just not heavily involved in CrackBerry anymore.
    This site's founder left the paltry BlackBerry 10 ecosystem for a better one. Spin that however you like.
    devin266 and techvisor like this.
    03-29-15 06:56 PM
    You are out of your mind. Kevin was the biggest BB supporter there was, and still is, he's just not heavily involved in CrackBerry anymore. You are making a lot of assumptions that are completely false and are forgetting that you wound't be on this site if not for him.
    I'm not out of my mind, and if I were, you really don't know me well enough to make an ASSumption like that.
    I was making a point to the OP.
    Why does everyone here gets so wrung out? Have you even started at the original post and read down? Is Kevin your brother? Are you dating him? Was your day bad?
    This USED to be a great forum. People were helpful and polite.
    With all of our "threads" and "replies" being indexed by Google, how do you think it looks to any one searching Google when they see negative, nasty. mean, and degrading comments every time they put in a search term about "BlackBerry"?
    I have been "on this site" for over 9 years. I am well aware of why I came here originally. And when I first came here Kevin was into nothing but BlackBerries as far as I saw.
    And as far as me saying Kevin doesn't "love" BB the way we do, well, I base this on the fact I am here posting in the forums and haven't seen a post by Kevin (like I used to) in years.
    Last edited by RazzBerry; 03-31-15 at 09:06 AM.
    Alvin Loh and MdRoberts40 like this.
    03-29-15 07:02 PM
    You're upset I called him a business man? Really?
    Well to quote you ~ Wow... Just.... Wow....
    Unless Kevin bought a champagne colored Passport at launch for $1,500, you have a point
    03-29-15 07:17 PM
    The title really doesn't tell us anything we don't already know. The decline started years ago. It hasn't been the "CrackBerry days" of the mid to late 2000's since just after the turn of the decade. The title is click bait at best...instead of highlighting the current slowly improving state of the company, it focuses on what happened 3-4 years ago.
    03-29-15 07:18 PM
    I'm not out of my mind, and if I were, you really don't know me well enough to make an ASSumption like that.
    I was making a point to the OP.
    Why does everyone here gets so wrung out. Have you even started at the original post and read down? Is Kevin your brother? Are you dating him? Was your day bad?
    This USED to be a great forum. People were helpful and polite.
    With all of our "threads" and "replies" being indexed by Google, how do you think it looks to any one searching Google when they see negative, nasty. mean, and degrading comments every time they put in a search term about "BlackBerry"?
    I have been "on this site" for over 9 years. I am well aware of why I came here originally. And when I first came here Kevin was into nothing but BlackBerries as far as I saw.
    And as far as me saying Kevin doesn't "love" BB the way we do, well, I base this on the fact I am here posting in the forums and haven't seen a post by Kevin (like I used to) in years.
    Looks to me like you've been on here since 2009. Big deal. I've been here since 2007, big deal again. You aren't active here in the community judging by your post count and neither am I really based off mine. So your opinions on what this forum was and is, and what Kevin's "loves" are really don't hold a lot of water imo. I could care less what phone he's using. He started this site and should be given that respect accordingly imo.
    03-29-15 07:36 PM
    The initial spike in sales for newlyreleased devices is over. Continued sales will drop sharply (as evidenced by EVERY other example in the industry). The Leap won't be able to account for the sharp decline unless BBRY somehow convinces every single BES subscriber to replace all their current enterprise devices. Such is unlikely. The next two quarters are crucial for BBRY. If software revenue doesn't increase enough to account for the likely drop in hardware revenue, it's going to be ugly. BBRY doesn't have anything hardware-wise for the next quarter (and maybe two).
    Via Tapatalk
    I think there's a reason BlackBerry jumped on Typo with both feet and it's because it impacts on one of their strategies. Chen has stated he likes PKB phones (it's an obvious differentiator in a crowded market). A touch capacitive PKB phone with patented BB sculpted keys, the Hub and utilizing shortcuts and actions could be an interesting device to test on Android for the consumer market.

I posted this as speculation on another thread, but what if the new Slider is a collaboration with Samsung? Some have speculated that the dual curved display points in that direction already. Perhaps BB could partner with Samsung to release a Samsung branded device that incorporates some of the best features of BlackBerry on an Android device, one that isn't BB10 skinned. They could still release a model that is pure native BB10 with Android runtime for enterprise and let Samsung run with an Android variant in the consumer market.

It would be a collaboration to test the waters and see what market there is for PKB amongst the Android crowd. And it would be an exclusive partnership in the consumer sphere.

It's not just BlackBerry that's feeling the heat in the devices market. With low cost oems like Huawei and Lenovo eating into the major Android vendors' share, this could be something that could help Samsung differentiate themselves and help them in Enterprise, where they're already partnering with BlackBerry.

As I said in the other thread, it may be a crazy idea, but I can see the potential.
    03-29-15 07:41 PM
    [Article] The Guardian: Crackberry days are over as sales fall.-funny-cat-meme-cake.jpg
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    03-29-15 07:49 PM
    If we look purely at Manufacturing cost (Inc write offs) vs average selling price then BlackBerry make a $5 profit before tax on each device sold.

When you add in additional costs such as Research and development, Marketing and sales admin then BlackBerry are making a ~$230 loss on each device sold before tax.

In total 7 million smartphones were sold in worldwide. This is how it compares to the top 10.

Attachment 344499
    That also shows that total smartphone sales were up overall. I wonder how long that trend will continue.
    03-29-15 07:55 PM
    So instead of the yearly "BlackBerry days are over" they switched to "Crackberry days are over". Haha. I find that funny. They're tired of saying BlackBerry is dead so they target the community.
    Real professional Guardian. Real professional.

Any publicity is good publicity I guess. *shrug*.
    Last edited by mvpcrossxover; 03-29-15 at 10:18 PM.
    david7saad likes this.
    03-29-15 08:00 PM
    That also shows that total smartphone sales were up overall. I wonder how long that trend will continue.
    This trend will continue for the next 5 years at a minmum. Should be at 1.9 billion + smartphone sales by 2019.
    03-29-15 08:12 PM
    This trend will continue for the next 5 years at a minmum. Should be at 1.9 billion + smartphone sales by 2019.
    Interesting. Do you think that mobile will sustain that kind of growth? What are you basing that on? I'm not arguing just curious, my personal assumption is that mobile sales will plateau based solely on upgrades and that the market is saturated. I see growth in developing countries but based on the specs in the 'first world', I know anecdotally that many friends and colleagues aren't likely to upgrade on a two year cycle. They seem satisfied with what they have...
    03-29-15 08:19 PM
    If the lemmings would try just BlackBerry 10....Not to mention email.....
    Lmao Lemmings......perfect name for them
    03-29-15 08:39 PM
    Interesting. Do you think that mobile will sustain that kind of growth? What are you basing that on? I'm not arguing just curious, my personal assumption is that mobile sales will plateau based solely on upgrades and that the market is saturated. I see growth in developing countries but based on the specs in the 'first world', I know anecdotally that many friends and colleagues aren't likely to upgrade on a two year cycle. They seem satisfied with what they have...
    This has been noted by companies like IDC, Strategy Analytics, Gartner and Gfk.

The mobile phone market is actually already at 1.9 billion. When you include smartphones + dumb phones/featurephones (think nokia brick).

In 2014 for example we say 1.3 billion smartphones and 0.6 billion featurephones shipped. Up from a 50/50 ratio the year before.

Featurephone shipments will continue to decline whilst smartphone shipments grow. So its not the overall market that is seeing huge growth. Its just the smartphone market. Mobile phones as a whole is already massive.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    03-29-15 08:49 PM
    This has been noted by companies like IDC, Strategy Analytics, Gartner and Gfk.

The mobile phone market is actually already at 1.9 billion. When you include smartphones + dumb phones/featurephones (think nokia brick).

In 2014 for example we say 1.3 billion smartphones and 0.6 billion featurephones shipped. Up from a 50/50 ratio the year before.

Featurephone shipments will continue to decline whilst smartphone shipments grow. So its not the overall market that is seeing huge growth. Its just the smartphone market. Mobile phones as a whole is already massive.
    Ok, I guess I underestimated that feature phone market share, and the potential for growth... Five years seems like a long time for the market to stabilize on smartphones, very surprising. I'd think that it would happen much sooner, especially given the downward pressure on prices from Asian vendors. Reminds me of the HD TV market, it certainly didn't take that long.
    03-29-15 09:03 PM
    This article is targeted at non-business-types that aren't particularly interested in the quarter-to-quarter performance of Blackberry so it's reasonable to take a year-over-year perspective. Also, the Guardian is UK based where Blackberry still has some minor presence - there would be no point in this kind of article in the US where the "Crackberry" days were over a couple of years ago.
    03-29-15 09:35 PM
    "Don't care about what other people think, and your user base will keep getting smaller" - Frank

Can I quote you for future references?
    I mean, since it's an official Frank quote now...
    Would it be ok?
    m3mb3rsh1p likes this.
    03-29-15 10:06 PM
    Man I love my BlackBerry Z30! Literally can't live without it! But I'm tired of the haters. Ppl be like " you replied from a BlackBerry? Where are we in 2004?" :/

Posted via CB10
    Here, a lovely picture of cats.
    I hope you feel better now
    Blackberry-Prince likes this.
    03-29-15 10:09 PM
    What makes you think the slider will be any different than any other BB10 device? We keep hearing the same thing over and over with nothing new happening. BTW, that doesn't mean I don't love my Classic.

Be classically hip with the BlackBerry Classic
    Because sliders actually have a chance of being old school and interesting, since they give you a 5 inch display and a keyboard.

Oh and because I want one.
    Did I just stop being logical because I want one?
    Never mind....

If we look purely at Manufacturing cost (Inc write offs) vs average selling price then BlackBerry make a $5 profit before tax on each device sold.

When you add in additional costs such as Research and development, Marketing and sales admin then BlackBerry are making a ~$230 loss on each device sold before tax.

In total 7 million smartphones were sold in worldwide. This is how it compares to the top 10.

Attachment 344499
    I like your posts Ahmad.
    Usually informative and with a calm I long lost in here

Looks to me like you've been on here since 2009. Big deal. I've been here since 2007, big deal again. You aren't active here in the community judging by your post count and neither am I really based off mine. So your opinions on what this forum was and is, and what Kevin's "loves" are really don't hold a lot of water imo. I could care less what phone he's using. He started this site and should be given that respect accordingly imo.
    As long as he doesn't do anything that might be illegal or highly immoral.

Switching ecosystem isn't a part of that, imho.
    And given some of the rabid fanboys that are haunting CB (well and the trolls), I probably wouldn't want to post in here as the owner either.

Maybe he joined Under the Bridge?

Good question. With 100$ smartphones actually being useful now, and local Android manufacturers stepping up their game, combined with smartphone and feature phone contract renewal cycles... I would have guessed another 3-4 years?

It mainly depends on how cheap smartphone manufacturers can get, to be honest.
    Since "the West" is basically saturated, we won't make any meaningful impact in terms if growth.
    Emerging markets and "third world countries" are the ones who drive growth.

Since the limiting factor here is mostly money, the growth will solely depend on smartphone manufactures making sales in those parts of the world, to former feature phone users or to people who couldn't afford a phone until now or to people who are too young for a phone.
    (those regions have mostly an incredibly young population, compared to "the West")

Why only 3-4 years then?
    I just don't think that it's sustainable, as we should see huge upticks in countries like India or Nigeria (where the smartphone adoption rate is pretty bad), but once those markets are saturated (and because of the increased Android competition in the low-end sector, I see that happening pretty soon), there isn't that much growth left.

There is one phenomenon I ignore though:
    The 2 phone paradigm.
    If people in "the West", start to adopt a private/work separation of their devices again, we might actually contribute to some global growth again.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    03-29-15 10:37 PM
    Play Nice, Be Helpful, and have Respect!
    This means keep the language clean, keep your posts polite, and don’t get into arguments over dumb things. If somebody responds to a thread you posted in poor fashion, ignore it, and the moderation team will quickly clean it up (you can always message or email a moderator at any time if you observe anything that is in poor taste/against the rules). Think back to what your parentals and teachers used to lecture - if you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all.
    Always remember that we are all unique and at different levels here - some of us are experienced BlackBerry users and forum junkies, while others are just starting out. If you’re on the experienced side, have patience for those just joining in on the fun and be helpful. With a little patience and a little help they won’t be newbies for long. Also remember that it is our differences that keeps this place interesting. If everyone was from the same place and at the same experience level it would be boring. This is a worldwide community united by a common interest - our love, or addiction as some would call it, for the BlackBerry!
    03-30-15 01:21 AM
    The Z10 and Z30 are the best phones i have ever owned.

  
    LateToTheGame likes this.
    03-30-15 01:39 AM
210 12345 ...