05-17-15 08:35 AM
210 1234 ...
tools
    I'm tired of the bull coming from most folks over BlackBerry especially American journalists, but they will keep talking and BlackBerry will continue to prove them wrong. The next quarterly results will show that they need to get their heads out of their arses!

Posted via CB10
    The Guardian is an American newspaper? Who knew. The facts are pretty clear as described in the article. The sales of devices have dropped significantly, they aren't going up. There is no reason to think next quarter won't be worse.
    03-29-15 02:35 PM
    So they are talking about blackberry being crack and not Crackberry the forum. Pffft
    03-29-15 02:46 PM
    I think people are missing the point of the article. It's really not an "End of BlackBerry" article. It's about the end of the Crackberry phenomenon that BlackBerry enjoyed for a few years. Big difference.

Penned via Tapatalk
    03-29-15 02:46 PM
    The Guardian is published some misplaced and bad articles about the Blackberry and also spread the news that Blackberry sold only 6.000 phone's The Guardian is like other media trying to prove that they where right. and they can do because they are the media.

It's hard if you spread false news and not to be right afterward and what most people do is making the lie bigger.

Also read this article form the same dip**** who seems a business journalist
    ? Yet Another Journalist Gets It Wrong ? This time it is Rupert Neate from the Guardian
    03-29-15 03:05 PM
    I'm tired of the bull coming from most folks over BlackBerry especially American journalists, but they will keep talking and BlackBerry will continue to prove them wrong. The next quarterly results will show that they need to get their heads out of their arses!

Posted via CB10
    I think the next quarterly report will show BlackBerry is wrong about focusing on PKB. But it will get Chen closer to his goal of getting out of the handset business.

Posted via CB10
    techvisor likes this.
    03-29-15 03:10 PM
    The Guardian is published some misplaced and bad articles about the Blackberry and also spread the news that Blackberry sold only 6.000 phone's The Guardian is like other media trying to prove that they where right. and they can do because they are the media.

It's hard if you spread false news and not to be right afterward and what most people do is making the lie bigger.

Also read this article form the same dip**** who seems a business journalist
    ? Yet Another Journalist Gets It Wrong ? This time it is Rupert Neate from the Guardian
    That article is the worst thing I've seen in a while. The guy writing it does not know what he's talking about.

Nowhere did the Guardian mention the Quarterly report, they made it very clear they were talking about the full fiscal year. The facts are that BlackBerry's revenue shrunk across Hardware and Software, the only reason this quarter looks better for some items is because it includes December, a natural increase for all businesses should be expected.
    03-29-15 03:15 PM
    8.5 million sales is not bad. It's bad when the company over produces devices and takes losses. Blackberry has been very stingy with production. They spent last year lowering their overhead costs. If they make $100 in profit for each device, that's pretty darn good. Blackberry might quite possibly have the more loyal customers who does not upgrade as often as Apple and Android users do. Hopefully less than half of these were upgrades and the rest new users.

Posted via CB10
    03-29-15 03:29 PM
    That article is the worst thing I've seen in a while. The guy writing it does not know what he's talking about.

Nowhere did the Guardian mention the Quarterly report, they made it very clear they were talking about the full fiscal year. The facts are that BlackBerry's revenue shrunk across Hardware and Software, the only reason this quarter looks better for some items is because it includes December, a natural increase for all businesses should be expected.

[Article] The Guardian: Crackberry days are over as sales fall.-img_20150329_213326.png

Also, wouldn't BlackBerry take the period into account when forecasting? Point is they beat their forecast..

Check Out TechCraze
    03-29-15 03:33 PM
    I really don't care what the buffoons write. I love my Z10 and wouldn't change for any other phone on this planet. Can't wait for the slider. BlackBerry ain't going anywhere soon OP. As long as they are making a profit they will continue to make hardware. End of story. Slider, being it on BlackBerry. That one will turn heads and appeal to many. Can't wait.

Posted via CB10
    What makes you think the slider will be any different than any other BB10 device? We keep hearing the same thing over and over with nothing new happening. BTW, that doesn't mean I don't love my Classic.

Be classically hip with the BlackBerry Classic
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    03-29-15 03:43 PM
    Also, wouldn't BlackBerry take the period into account when forecasting? Point is they beat their forecast..

Check Out TechCraze
    My point is that they didn't mention the last quarter revenue/profit.

They only mentioned the full fiscal year revenue/profit.

That's not being wrong, that's just not mentioning information.
    03-29-15 03:43 PM

> highlighted section of pic above?

Check Out TechCraze
    03-29-15 03:49 PM
    > highlighted section of pic above?

Check Out TechCraze
    They don't mention revenue/profit for Q4. They mention sales as highlighted in your post.
    david7saad likes this.
    03-29-15 03:57 PM
    They don't mention revenue/profit for Q4. They mention sales as highlighted in your post.

So were did they get sales figures from? , and seems to me what's clear is they mostly compared year on year figures (yes some over the entire year)

A natural increase was expected, just not as high for BlackBerry as they experienced, just one of several points made above

Check Out TechCraze
    03-29-15 04:03 PM
    The Guardian is an American newspaper? Who knew. The facts are pretty clear as described in the article. The sales of devices have dropped significantly, they aren't going up. There is no reason to think next quarter won't be worse.
    Except that the few last quarters have shown improvements? The facts may be clear but the way they are presented is biased, there is more than one way to interpret the information as the differing views in this thread alone show..

Check Out TechCraze
    tmf06 likes this.
    03-29-15 04:05 PM
    Who cares what the market short sellers, and their media buddies, say! Even if BlackBerry was taking losses, they could exist for years on their over 3 billion cash. Meanwhile, we get to enjoy our classy BB10s, the ultimate communication devices.

TCB on Z10
    03-29-15 04:08 PM
    So were did they get sales figures from? , and seems to me what's clear is they mostly compared year on year figures (yes some over the entire year)

A natural increase was expected, just not as high for BlackBerry as they experienced, just one of several points made above

Check Out TechCraze
    Bro...

My entire post is relating to the argument the guy in that article is making about the Guardian being wrong about revenue and profit at -$385m when he should have put +$20m profit.

The point I'm making is that the guardian only ever mentioned the fiscal year profit/revenue and made no mention to the quarterly profit/revenue. The Guardian made it very clear they weren't talking about the quarterly report in that section of the article.

The reason I said this blogger guy is wrong is because if the Guardian is saying X then the blogger can't say they are wrong about Y. It's like me saying a car is yellow but you saying I'm wrong as the car behind it is red.... just doesn't make sense.
    dolco, david7saad, web99 and 1 others like this.
    03-29-15 04:09 PM

It's also not taking into account trends and corporate initiatives over the fiscal year. A year ago, BlackBerry was shedding jobs, still selling more legacy devices than newer BlackBerry 10s. Chen had been in the job (at the end of the reporting period which was early February) less than 6 months. He was replacing his executive team. The company was losing money big time. Take today. Cash is still growing, they've made profits in two consecutive quarters, they are hiring sales staff and no longer cutting jobs. The trend is different.

I'm not saying they are out of the woods, not by a long shot. They need to make sure they execute on their offerings. Their larger sales teams and sales relationships need to perform exceptionally well. They won't be selling to teens, students, soccer moms, folks in non-regulated jobs. That's most of us here. But they will be selling. That's the perspective the article failed to mention.

Posted via CB10
    03-29-15 04:11 PM
    Like... "IT'S THE GUARDIAN" What exactly do you expect. Same league as BGR and The Verge. They have a history of Blackberry bashing and generally poor reporting.... Guess they missed the memo. Chen has already stated all BB needs to sell is 10 million to be profitable. As they are in transition from old legacy and many of sales have not been reported from this quarter. Unsure why any of this is news. Unless of course they really think BB competes with Apple or Android any more. Sad people keep falling for this drivel.
    03-29-15 04:19 PM
    BlackBerry needs to take some risks on the hardware side.

It is building very uninspiring devices under Chen. Passport excepted, but that was really a Heins product.

If BlackBerry wants to grow the hardware business it has to invest in it. Chen is not doing that. Chen is building phones using old parts that BlackBerry has already used to keep costs down. BlackBerry builds not many and sells those that it builds.

It is all well and good that AT&T and Verizon are selling BlackBerry again but how would anyone know about those phones?

Posted via CB10
    MarsupilamiX, techvisor and aha like this.
    03-29-15 04:43 PM
    8.5 million sales is not bad. It's bad when the company over produces devices and takes losses. Blackberry has been very stingy with production. They spent last year lowering their overhead costs. If they make $100 in profit for each device, that's pretty darn good. Blackberry might quite possibly have the more loyal customers who does not upgrade as often as Apple and Android users do. Hopefully less than half of these were upgrades and the rest new users.

Posted via CB10
    8.5 million devices in a year actually sucks (in a big way). Not to mention, it was only around 7 million. And where do you come up with the $100 profit per device sold? That is nowhere near realistic.

Penned via Tapatalk
    techvisor likes this.
    03-29-15 04:49 PM
    8.5 million devices in a year actually sucks (in a big way). Not to mention, it was only around 7 million. And where do you come up with the $100 profit per device sold? That is nowhere near realistic.

Penned via Tapatalk
    Even though the CEO's own target is 10million a year for profitability? Doesn't sound like sucks for me?

Check Out TechCraze
    03-29-15 04:58 PM

Penned via Tapatalk
    If we look purely at Manufacturing cost (Inc write offs) vs average selling price then BlackBerry make a $5 profit before tax on each device sold.

When you add in additional costs such as Research and development, Marketing and sales admin then BlackBerry are making a ~$230 loss on each device sold before tax.

In total 7 million smartphones were sold in worldwide. This is how it compares to the top 10.

[Article] The Guardian: Crackberry days are over as sales fall.-global_zpsaefb4764.jpg
    03-29-15 05:03 PM
    Even though the CEO's own target is 10million a year for profitability? Doesn't sound like sucks for me?

Check Out TechCraze
    First, his number of 8.5 million is off (by 1.5 million). Second, the 10 million goal fell well short. So yeah... Take that as you will. Not to mention the loss in subscriptions for every BB10 sold as an upgrade from BBOS (as posited in the recent CB article). Compounded by going into the next two quarters likely without new devices to spark adoption. Outlook isn't good.

Penned via Tapatalk
    techvisor likes this.
    03-29-15 05:05 PM
    First, his number of 8.5 million is off (by 1.5 million). Second, the 10 million goal fell well short. So yeah... Take that as you will. Not to mention the loss in subscriptions for every BB10 sold as an upgrade from BBOS (as posited in the recent CB article). Compounded by going into the next two quarters likely without new devices to spark adoption. Outlook isn't good.

Penned via Tapatalk
    7/10 = well off? Also given that we're talking his first full fiscal year?

Quarters are delayed.. the next two quarters will be looking at sales from periods with discounts of Passport, Z30 and Classic(currently ongoing), initial Leap sales and continued marketing of the Z3 in current and new markets..

And that's just devices, software saw what 24% growth and the next two will also be accounting for the ending of EZ passes, see the development of the new QNX as well as BES software products(where their clientlist continues to grow), etc.

Given all this, with the current circumstances I don't see a bleak outlook..

Check Out TechCraze
    03-29-15 05:17 PM
    7/10 = well off? Also given that we're talking his first full fiscal year?

Quarters are delayed.. the next two quarters will be looking at sales from periods with discounts of Passport, Z30 and Classic(currently ongoing), initial Leap sales and continued marketing of the Z3 in current and new markets..

And that's just devices, software saw what 24% growth and the next two will also be accounting for the ending of EZ passes, see the development of the new QNX as well as BES software products(where their clientlist continues to grow), etc.

Given all this, with the current circumstances I don't see a bleak outlook..

Check Out TechCraze
    You're a bit of a fanboy right?

If you can't see that 10 million isn't a low number in itself then you're not seeing the big picture. If we look at the whole Smartphone market for 2014, BlackBerry have around 0.5% market share.

Service revenue declined 40% YOY and software revenue growth remained stagnant. Couple that with the 60% drop in Hardware revenue and BlackBerry's overall revenue declined by over 50% YOY.

If we look purely at Software revenue we see that it only accounts for 7.0% of BlackBerry's total revenue. And it's not growing.

So if Hardware and Service revenue is decreasing, then software revenue needs to increase as we've been told it will by Chen and others. But it's not happening. Hardware and Service revenue will continue to decrease this year as well. One fact I mentioned before was that Hardware revenue alone in FY2014 was larger than all Hardware + Service + Software revenue combined in FY2015. That;s how sharp the drop has been this year and how small the software revenue stream actually is at the moment.
    03-29-15 05:27 PM
210 1234 ...