Came across this and thought it was a good read, considering security and privacy topics seem to come up from time to time here.

Electronic Privacy? There's No Such Thing - CIO.com
    10-30-13 09:51 AM
    10-30-13 09:52 AM
    It's what I've always believed. If you have stuff to hide, don't use electronic communications. The mafia learned their lesson a few years ago when the FBI remotely turned their phones on to eavesdrop on their private conversations. I don't know why Merkel et al are so surprised. You would have thought it was expected the US would try and eavesdrop on them.
    10-30-13 12:28 PM
    The article is okay, but its tone is a bit defeatist. "Don't fret too much about security/privacy because all encryption can eventually be cracked." (Doesn't mention that it could take centuries). "Besides, you probably don't have anything worth hiding." Yea, right. Don't even bother. Make it easy for government snoops so instead of having to work very little they don't have to work at all. Let those "heroes" just collect paychecks.

Look, everyone who isn't naive already knows that it's very difficult to transmit data securely over the internet or phone. But the one thing you can do to help safeguard your privacy is password lock your BlackBerry and encrypt the data stored on it and its media card. If you do this right (strong encryption, proper settings, stong/complex password), it's extremely unlikely any police, even to the highest levels, will get meaningful access to your data (pics, videos, PIM). Of course, if you already sync everything with the cloud, it probably really doesn't matter; you have zero privacy anyway. And if you're an apologist for the government/police snoops, by all means, don't bother with security at all. Make it easy for them. Help the snoops. (It's for your own safety. )
    10-30-13 01:18 PM
    The article is okay, but its tone is a bit defeatist. "Don't fret too much about security/privacy because all encryption can eventually be cracked." (Doesn't mention that it could take centuries). "Besides, you probably don't have anything worth hiding." Yea, right. Don't even bother. Make it easy for government snoops so instead of having to work very little they don't have to work at all. Let those "heroes" just collect paychecks.

Look, everyone who isn't naive already knows that it's very difficult to transmit data securely over the internet or phone. But the one thing you can do to help safeguard your privacy is password lock your BlackBerry and encrypt the data stored on it and its media card. If you do this right (strong encryption, proper settings, stong/complex password), it's extremely unlikely any police, even to the highest levels, will get meaningful access to your data (pics, videos, PIM). Of course, if you already sync everything with the cloud, it probably really doesn't matter; you have zero privacy anyway. And if you're an apologist for the government/police snoops, by all means, don't bother with security at all. Make it easy for them. Help the snoops. (It's for your own safety. )
    Actually I think the tone of the article is quite the opposite. It's warning not to get lulled into a false sense of security. If anything it's a good wake up call to CB, since there's so much misconception regarding BlackBerry and security.

Posted via CB10
    10-30-13 01:52 PM
    For years it was reported by conspiracy theorists of a government program that listened to everyone's electronic communications the public sneered at them. Now when it has been proven where is the public outrage? Guess that's what you get from a generation raised with neoliberalism a bunch of sheep.

Posted via CB10
    10-31-13 09:27 AM
    Yup true that. I hate how everyone is okay with the government reading you phone. I can't stand it. Everyone I know is like "I don't have anything to hide" I wonder if there saying that when there sending nudes to there boyfriend (and all of NSA) to look at. Ugh some people are just sheep. Through and through

Posted via CB10 via My Q10
    10-31-13 09:42 AM
    Yup true that. I hate how everyone is okay with the government reading you phone. I can't stand it. Everyone I know is like "I don't have anything to hide" I wonder if there saying that when there sending nudes to there boyfriend (and all of NSA) to look at. Ugh some people are just sheep. Through and through
    yea, but then they're outraged that the NSA is spying on some foreign leader like Merkel. They're so *** backwards. NSA's job might be to spy on foreign leaders; it's definitely not to spy on Americans.
    10-31-13 10:34 AM