07-31-14 10:03 PM
432 ... 678910 ...
tools
    On the iphone, if you start a video on YouTube in Safari and then leave the app, the video will pause. If you want to continue listening to the sound only, swipe up from the bottom bezel and tap the play button in the control center. The sound will start back up again and you can do anything you want on the iphone while listening to the video. Text, email, whatever, all while the sound plays. It is a common myth on crackberry that ios won't multitask in this way. The official YouTube app, unlike the browser, is written by google to not allow this, but youtube in the browser works fine.
    Yes this is true, I have done it before. I am just replying to why it actually stops why leaving the browser.
    07-20-14 10:18 AM
    ......People care about price first, specs and brand name except for brand loyals of course. That's how the emerging Chinese phone manufacturers made their way. Xiaomi drew people's attention with 1) price 2) specs

Please join my photography channel
    Humm like Asian cars?
    07-20-14 11:07 AM
    In some cases, a mobile app would have better functionality with mobility in mind though. I can bank via the browser, but an app gives me deposit features I really don't/can't do on a laptop.

Same goes for, say, a department store app. Probably easier to create a special app that enhances on-site sales than a browser client aimed at people shopping online.
    For the banking example, if this were the case then why don't these banks make thick client apps for Windows desktops? If the advantages of an app were so great then they would. I'm sure they could include this functionality into an HTML5 app upon login.

For the dept store example, I agree that this is a good use of an app as it is targeted at the in store shopper.

At the end of the day, I see apps as more targeted and niche then as broad as they are today. Most of what people use apps for can be achieved in a robust browser based app IMO.

IMO, the real road block to full on browser adoption is the lack of high speed LTE world wide, coupled with the high cost of data in many markets. This is where apps shine as they use less data and are faster then trying to load a mobile site over a non-LTE network. If we think back to the days where cable/phone internet hit the market it was a similar story. Data caps were low and cost was prohibitive. As time passed these restrictions eased, and I believe we will see this same evolution in mobile data.
    07-20-14 11:15 AM
    I totally disagree.

I bank with USAA. The experience of using the mobile application is far more convenient than a browser. I launch the app, PIN log in and done.

I think you are missing the point.

Browsers are great for web surfing. But what if you aren't surfing? What if you just want to check your balance?
    Nope, not missing the point. I don't doubt that you're bank app is better than the website. But that doesn't mean that the website can't be on par with or better than the app. It's up to your bank to make the investment in their mobile site. They evidently haven't done this.
    07-20-14 11:18 AM
    I do not read all the posts, but I spite that prefer an all touch device (like my Z30) one thing is real, the Passport is making noise in the market and that is good if you had a lack of marketing!
    07-20-14 12:09 PM
    In my family there are three S4, I can confirm that what you say is not true, the S4 battery lasts 6 hrs in moderate use and 4 in heavy use, everybody in my office with a S4 including me, needs to carry a charger all the time and be a wall hugger (well in this case a module hugger )
    My friend also has a S4 and he's always using the charger in my car. But the last time I tried to say this people were accusing me of being a BB fanboy and making things up about the S4... I'm glad I'm not the only one who have seen this...
    lift and WorkStation 0 like this.
    07-20-14 12:25 PM
    I found this blogger who couldn't stand the article without giving it a response :
    Heres Devastating PROOF That BlackBerry Are BACK! | UTB Blogs
    Heres Devastating PROOF That BlackBerry Are BACK!
    Posted by Bigglybobblyboo on July 19, 2014
    andy pandy make and play

"Ahhh

They can feel it.

Its so tangible they can almost smell it.

And they dont like it one little bit.

BlackBerrys comeback trail is heading Westwards and extreme iPhonians are rattled.

This is no surprise really. The iPhone is headed nowhere. Their beloved is looking more and more useless as time progresses. The whole thing is going backwards at an alarming rate and Apple seem bereft of ideas. Its all a bit RIM

And up pops an old foe.

Who were supposed to be dead, darn them!

Innovating where Apple fail. Giving customers what they want, rather than telling them what they need.

And showing them up for what they are overpriced rubbish.

Heres Digital Trends Andy Pandy (nee Boxall) telling us all loud and clear that Blackberry are back and that hes VERY WORRIED about the fact that lots of people want one.

How do we know?

Well, his article displays disturbing levels of iDiocy.

After all, why would the great Apple care? Why would Andy Pandy tell his readers NOT to buy a BlackBerry?

Were dead arent we?

Well, the clues are in the story as to just how scared Andy is.

Oh, and for those of you who dont know, Andy Pandy was a popular childrens TV character in the UK a few years back. His best friend was Teddy. Only our Andy Pandy seems to have thrown his Teddy a very long way still, hes coming to play

[Andy's article]

The problem with Andy Pandys Make And Play phone is that actually THATS the subject of his article.

Hes not really talking about BlackBerry at all!

If you want to live dangerously, buy an iPhone youll spend half your life in risk of an electric shock as youll be attached to a socket due to its laughable battery size.

If you fancy using the car and horse analogy, its like comparing a knackered old banger where half the basic functions dont work to a sleek thoroughbred that moves like lightning.

If you want to talk about simpler times (for Andy) then why not hark back to the days when Apple actually came up with something? All on their own? Ah you seem to be stuck there 2008 was it?

If you want a laugh talk to someone who has had an iPhone foisted on them for work and their BlackBerry taken away actually dont laugh, those people are pretty much incandescent with rage at JUST HOW POOR the iPhone is. It is an appalling work phone. No signal, no battery life and an email system which makes you wish you had died. The good news is that the iPhone always gets there well before you.

If you want to talk bilge refer back to your entire post as it is riddled with iGnorance

And its lovely to see you wet your pants at the thought of a Voice Assistant that actually works.

Lastly Andy, no one with a BlackBerry 10 phone who has actually taken the time and trouble to learn it gives a crap about Google Now, iOS 8 or Cortana as were waaaayyyyy beyond all that rubbish, thanks. The thought of going backwards from 10.2.1 to iOS8 is laughable, the chances of anyone being impressed by iOS8 vs 10.3?

Pretty much unimaginable.

So, unfortunately Andy, its YOU subjecting the public to smartphone cruelty by attempting to get them to keep an iPhone over a BlackBerry 10 product as the difference is night and day (or past and future), its YOU who has UTTERLY misjudged how badly the iPhone is unraveling and it is YOU who looks the total tool and *****.

And its pretty obvious whos the scared one around here.

Good luck with your Make and Play phone Andy Pandy

The rest of us have moved on
    "

Good to see people reacting, it means some actually value BB10 for what it's worth.
    lift, stanhanks, deptech and 2 others like this.
    07-20-14 12:29 PM
    My friend also has a S4 and he's always using the charger in my car. But the last time I tried to say this people were accusing me of being a BB fanboy and making things up about the S4... I'm glad I'm not the only one who have seen this...
    There are a lot of phones out there that have poor battery life. The Z10 is just one of many but listening to some people here you would think the Z10 is the only phone with a lame battery life. I would say the Z10 is in the middle of the pack of poor battery life phones. Now my Z30 on the other hand is superb when it comes to battery life. No complaints here.
    spikesolie likes this.
    07-20-14 12:31 PM
    Lol@ lay off the soy

Posted via CB10
    07-20-14 01:05 PM
    I found this blogger who couldn't stand the article without giving it a response :
    Heres Devastating PROOF That BlackBerry Are BACK! | UTB Blogs
    Heres Devastating PROOF That BlackBerry Are BACK!
    Posted by Bigglybobblyboo on July 19, 2014
    andy pandy make and play

"Ahhh

They can feel it.

Its so tangible they can almost smell it.

And they dont like it one little bit.

BlackBerrys comeback trail is heading Westwards and extreme iPhonians are rattled.

This is no surprise really. The iPhone is headed nowhere. Their beloved is looking more and more useless as time progresses. The whole thing is going backwards at an alarming rate and Apple seem bereft of ideas. Its all a bit RIM

And up pops an old foe.

Who were supposed to be dead, darn them!

Innovating where Apple fail. Giving customers what they want, rather than telling them what they need.

And showing them up for what they are overpriced rubbish.

Heres Digital Trends Andy Pandy (nee Boxall) telling us all loud and clear that Blackberry are back and that hes VERY WORRIED about the fact that lots of people want one.

How do we know?

Well, his article displays disturbing levels of iDiocy.

After all, why would the great Apple care? Why would Andy Pandy tell his readers NOT to buy a BlackBerry?

Were dead arent we?

Well, the clues are in the story as to just how scared Andy is.

Oh, and for those of you who dont know, Andy Pandy was a popular childrens TV character in the UK a few years back. His best friend was Teddy. Only our Andy Pandy seems to have thrown his Teddy a very long way still, hes coming to play

[Andy's article]

The problem with Andy Pandys Make And Play phone is that actually THATS the subject of his article.

Hes not really talking about BlackBerry at all!

If you want to live dangerously, buy an iPhone youll spend half your life in risk of an electric shock as youll be attached to a socket due to its laughable battery size.

If you fancy using the car and horse analogy, its like comparing a knackered old banger where half the basic functions dont work to a sleek thoroughbred that moves like lightning.

If you want to talk about simpler times (for Andy) then why not hark back to the days when Apple actually came up with something? All on their own? Ah you seem to be stuck there 2008 was it?

If you want a laugh talk to someone who has had an iPhone foisted on them for work and their BlackBerry taken away actually dont laugh, those people are pretty much incandescent with rage at JUST HOW POOR the iPhone is. It is an appalling work phone. No signal, no battery life and an email system which makes you wish you had died. The good news is that the iPhone always gets there well before you.

If you want to talk bilge refer back to your entire post as it is riddled with iGnorance

And its lovely to see you wet your pants at the thought of a Voice Assistant that actually works.

Lastly Andy, no one with a BlackBerry 10 phone who has actually taken the time and trouble to learn it gives a crap about Google Now, iOS 8 or Cortana as were waaaayyyyy beyond all that rubbish, thanks. The thought of going backwards from 10.2.1 to iOS8 is laughable, the chances of anyone being impressed by iOS8 vs 10.3?

Pretty much unimaginable.

So, unfortunately Andy, its YOU subjecting the public to smartphone cruelty by attempting to get them to keep an iPhone over a BlackBerry 10 product as the difference is night and day (or past and future), its YOU who has UTTERLY misjudged how badly the iPhone is unraveling and it is YOU who looks the total tool and *****.

And its pretty obvious whos the scared one around here.

Good luck with your Make and Play phone Andy Pandy

The rest of us have moved on
    "

Good to see people reacting, it means some actually value BB10 for what it's worth.
    No one would take that post seriously because it's obviously made by a fanboy that's bashing the iPhone. It's the same case as the topic in question... thanks for participating to the writer I guess.

Posted via CB10
    07-20-14 01:09 PM
    I realize that my Z10 probably isn't normal, but I have many of the problems that are frequently brought up on the forums.

1. Buying the Z10 at $800 (more than the iPhone where I live) and then watching the price plummet to like $250 in a few months.

2. Wi-fi and network problems. So severe I barely even use my phone anymore.

3. Bad battery life (as you mentioned) as well as slow charging and boot up times.

4. APPS and GAMES. As an uneducated teenager, I unfortunately am immature enough to care about these trivial, non-business related things that only several other millions of people also happen to care about.

5. Frequent lag, random restarts, waiting for upgrades, and other performance problems.

6. Camera :'(. Although under the perfect conditions, I actually think it's better than the iPhone. Anything other than perfect conditions and it's terrible. Also really slow though.

7. File manager. This might seem really strange to most people, but I'm actually not fond of file manager. Every time I want to share something, instead of simply taking me to the photos app I have to hunt through the file manager to find what I want. Especially annoying because you have to select then one by one.

8. Design. Although the device itself is pretty beautiful, the OS is inconsistent and not appealing in terms of design. Practically every page has a different color scheme, font/font size, and it just gets really annoying for me. The hub and icons are so plain and pretty ugly tbh. The keyboard is beautiful though.

So there is my brainstorm. Of course I'm focusing in the negative here, there's a lot of good to say about this device and I'm willing to accept that there's probably something wrong with my device (despite friends and relatives having problems as well) but I'm not willing to risk buying another BlackBerry for now.

Posted via CB10
    File manager : the irony is that BlackBerry has probably the best file manager or at least rivals the best. Ios doesn't even have it and on android phones you need to get apps to get the functionality.

For your picture example, you know you can just open the picture app and share from there right? The file manager works for people that use it right. It works like a windows file directory. How many phones even come with that much functionality?

5. Frequent lag: oh boy you must have never used any other os before. As with even my 6GB ram pc, lag happens.

You bought the z10 at 800? Why? Wth? Can anyone confirm if that's how much it released for? That's your mistake I got mine for 250. 250 isn't the value but as with every gadget if you can wait for black Friday or something you get it for cheap. I waited till November to get mine.

I'll give you battery as I have 3 batteries and a 10$ charging dock. Camera is debatable depending on user so no query.

Wifi could be user error or hardware or software problems. I encounter a drop in connection every now and then but definitely not that bad.

Design is subjective. Ios used the same design for however many years. Android is the only OS imo where users have the max ability to tailor the OS to there usage and even then it's not saying much.

Basically idk how much of this is worth saying "I regret " but for sure buying a phone for $800 PROBABLY Before it released in that area isn't anyone's fault but yours though

Posted via CB10
    07-20-14 02:08 PM
    For the case of you not knowing it....
    You very probably shouldn't use the UTB blogs to prove something.

There is no friendly way to say why, so if anybody is truly interested, I guess that I will explain it via PM?
    But yeah, if I have to chose between the UTB article and the one we are talking about in this topic, I'd never take the UTB one.

Posted via CB10
    TgeekB likes this.
    07-20-14 02:41 PM
    100% disagree.

Step back for a moment. The competatively priced, all-touch Z3 is currently launching in emerging markets around the globe. The Passport -- a touch & keyboard hybrid with new formfactor & keyboard layout -- is launching in September. The Classic -- a touch & keyboard hybrid with the traditional Berry footprint -- is launching next year.

The Passport is not intendened to take back 30% of the marketshare in one fell swoop.

This is a ground game: continue to become competative in all-touch, intoduce an innovative qwerty, launch a more traditional qwerty, and then probably launch an updated high-end touch (or maybe 2). These things are in the pipeline in this order for good reasons. This is a business model for growth: This is not a "one Super Bowl add must save us" device.
    Sorry, don't mean to hijack, but when was it announced that the Classic wouldn't launch until next year?
    07-20-14 03:33 PM
    No one would take that post seriously because it's obviously made by a fanboy that's bashing the iPhone. It's the same case as the topic in question... thanks for participating to the writer I guess.

Posted via CB10
    I believe Bronco was making a point. Both articles were over the top, written by fan boys, and neither should be taken seriously.
    TgeekB and spikesolie like this.
    07-20-14 03:47 PM
    I'm sure some people do experience insufficient battery on the S4. Also on the iPhone, the Z10, etc. That doesn't mean everyone does. It depends on usage, settings, etc.

Germany. 2014 FIFA World Cup Champs!
    07-20-14 04:03 PM
    "Last edited by Elessar.cm; Yesterday at 07:41 PM. Reason: Explicative deleted."

Hey Moderator: Technically I did not post an expletive but you should have at least left an indicator in my post to show that I did not agree with the article.

Who let this ill informed person on Crackberry. Seems our standards are slipping.
    07-20-14 04:26 PM
    I'm sure some people do experience insufficient battery on the S4. Also on the iPhone, the Z10, etc. That doesn't mean everyone does. It depends on usage, settings, etc.

I do think the point is that people rat on the z10 battery. Then make a comment like "I'm tired of this phone. **** battery, switching to the s4" lol basically I think point is there are mediocre batteries around and not just the z10. Infact battery tech is slow compared to everything else

Posted via CB10
    lift likes this.
    07-20-14 04:38 PM
    I do think the point is that people rat on the z10 battery. Then make a comment like "I'm tired of this phone. **** battery, switching to the s4" lol basically I think point is there are mediocre batteries around and not just the z10. Infact battery tech is slow compared to everything else

Posted via CB10
    Very true. Technology is moving at a rapid pace but batteries haven't improved at the same pace. They have some catching up to do.

07-20-14 04:59 PM
    I believe Bronco was making a point. Both articles were over the top, written by fan boys, and neither should be taken seriously.
    you got it.
    I actually found funny that people were arguing in the same vein (but DigitalTrends is still worse as far as i'm concerned, even if i don't feel like bashing any OS... anyone seeks and finds what he feels a better fit for his needs.)
    About the UTB blogs i never saw nor knew it existed before i found it on twitter (research: blackberry Passport), i am not aware of the problems there could have been with them, and just found the response right on topic.
    If it is so important and if it's a problem please feel free to remove it as i only liked the way somebody reacted on the same register as the offensive article. (i don't find any positive thing about Digital Trends article, it's a bunch of biased attack and dishonest point of view (bashing something you obviously never tried and giving advice like you finally found out it was inadequate).
    07-20-14 05:19 PM
    Don?t be fooled by nostalgia: Running back to BlackBerry is still a mistake

Read more: Leaving iOS for BlackBerry is Like Selling a Car to Buy a Horse | Digital Trends
    Im probably one of the few NON IOS users and I have never been remotely attracted nor motivated to purchase apple products. IOS just does not have the email ability like blackberry does. I think this editorial is just about a sore apple user trying a last ditch effort to talk people out of going back to Blackberry. Kudos I say. But buh bye ios, im pretty sure alot of ios users WILL switch to the new passport and classic.
    07-20-14 05:48 PM
    Im probably one of the few NON IOS users and I have never been remotely attracted nor motivated to purchase apple products. IOS just does not have the email ability like blackberry does. I think this editorial is just about a sore apple user trying a last ditch effort to talk people out of going back to Blackberry. Kudos I say. But buh bye ios, im pretty sure alot of ios users WILL switch to the new passport and classic.
    I'm not too sure but if based on phone abilities I think BlackBerry have created an OS to rival Samsung and apple. There are external factors such as "comfort zone ", "ecosystem investment " "cool factors " and "integration ability " to consider...

But honestly here's how I see things. If I bought an iPhone, I have about 80% less reason to buy an ipad. I got an iTouch sitting at home just in case I need an app exclusive to apple but just because of that I could never buy an iPhone.

What I don't get is people with iTouch, IPhone, ipad and a mac. Is apple paying you? Lol

Posted via CB10
    neteng1000 likes this.
    07-20-14 06:20 PM
    I'm not too sure but if based on phone abilities I think BlackBerry have created an OS to rival Samsung and apple. There are external factors such as "comfort zone ", "ecosystem investment " "cool factors " and "integration ability " to consider...

But honestly here's how I see things. If I bought an iPhone, I have about 80% less reason to buy an ipad. I got an iTouch sitting at home just in case I need an app exclusive to apple but just because of that I could never buy an iPhone.

What I don't get is people with iTouch, IPhone, ipad and a mac. Is apple paying you? Lol

Posted via CB10
    I had an itouch and imac. It's because I had an Itouch that I could not bring myself to a get the larger version of the ipad. Nor
    the iPhone which is a callable version of itouch.

Posted via CB10
    07-20-14 06:47 PM
    dont click it and give traffic
    07-20-14 07:17 PM
    Don?t be fooled by nostalgia: Running back to BlackBerry is still a mistake

Read more: Leaving iOS for BlackBerry is Like Selling a Car to Buy a Horse | Digital Trends
    But that horse is a companion who shows emotion and loyalty while a car is a piece of metal and in animate. A horse will go places no cars can. Horses are better for the environment, they also look better on a carousel.

Then again cars and iphones are made out of aluminium which while cheap doesn't stop it's maker from jacking up the price because of a FEW novelty ideas.

"I love when people boast about their phones...like its a pissing contest"
    afhstingray likes this.
    07-20-14 07:21 PM

Posted via CB10
    Ignoring the iPod Touch, all of those products are of complementary nature. They aren't substitutes.

I can do things with the iPad, I can't do with the iPhone alone (think of the medical sector for an easy illustration).
    The Mac, being an actual PC, obviously has capabilities exceeding the ones from the iPad. Thus, there is another usecase for it as well.
    The smartphone is the smartphone, it's neither a Tablet nor a PC.

Those are all standalone products, united by a common ecosystem.
    And it therefore makes perfect sense, to go from an iPhone to an iPad to a Mac (or wherever it started), if you were happy/satisfied with your first Apple purchase. Which apparently is the case for a lot of consumers.

You saying that you are 80% less likely to get an iPad when you already have an iPhone, only makes sense in about 2 cases...
    1) You regard phones and tablets as substitutes (which doesn't make sense by itself, but there would be an inherent logic to choice of your words).

2) You don't want an iPad and would buy a W8/Android tablet if you already have an iPhone.

But please be honest...
    Did you really need the clarification of phones, tablets and PCs not being substitutes???

Posted via CB10
    shaleem and anon1727506 like this.
    07-20-14 07:22 PM
432 ... 678910 ...