07-31-14 10:03 PM
432 ... 56789 ...
tools
    The M8 (and M7) cameras are both better than the Z10/Z30's. The MP doesn't determine it all. As far as battery life goes, the Galaxy S4, LG G2, and the HTC One (more iffy) all got quite good battery life. That was the Z10's Android competition. The iPhone 5 also got quite good battery life, (though the 5s does not, but that doesn't matter for this discussion) and that was the Z10's iPhone competition.

As far as everything you said after that, it was just regurgitation of what you said before which I addressed already.
    I can't speak to all of those, but yes, the M8 gets great battery life.

I reviewed the G2 and concur that the battery life was good as well.
    07-20-14 12:14 AM
    The M8 (and M7) cameras are both better than the Z10/Z30's. The MP doesn't determine it all. As far as battery life goes, the Galaxy S4, LG G2, and the HTC One (more iffy) all got quite good battery life. That was the Z10's Android competition. The iPhone 5 also got quite good battery life, (though the 5s does not, but that doesn't matter for this discussion) and that was the Z10's iPhone competition.

As far as everything you said after that, it was just regurgitation of what you said before which I addressed already.
    The M8's camera is good at low light, but pretty mediocre in normal light. Don't think I bring things up that I don't know about. I know MP's are not everything, but even with the dual camera system and the fast aperture, in the end it was still a pretty mediocre camera...

And you didn't "address" anything really. You presented your opinion that BB could get attention with a flagship glass slab... BB10 isn't your "old" BB either, but go ahead and ask most of the people who talk crap about BB. You'd be lucky to find 1 or 2 people who even know they have a new OS. Almost everyone I ask about why they wouldn't consider a BB their reasonings all are with the assumption that it is still the BB OS7 from before.

And the point of the battery life is that phones with poor battery life still sells well, not that they are direct competitors, just disproving your theory that it was a reason for the poor sales. NOBODY even knew what battery life the devices have, they never looked at them! Literally, the Z10 could have had a battery that lasted 5 days and it wouldn't have made a difference because everyone automatically dismissed BB's the moment they see the namebrand. There wasn't a single person I have talked to mentioned a single technical set back of any of the BB devices as why they dismiss the brand. NOT A SINGLE ONE.

But hey, again, there must me something in the water here and you must know something I don't.

?Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    07-20-14 12:21 AM
    The M8's camera is good at low light, but pretty mediocre in normal light. Don't think I bring things up that I don't know about. I know MP's are not everything, but even with the dual camera system and the fast aperture, in the end it was still a pretty mediocre camera...

And you didn't "address" anything really. You presented your opinion that BB could get attention with a flagship glass slab... BB10 isn't your "old" BB either, but go ahead and ask most of the people who talk crap about BB. You'd be lucky to find 1 or 2 people who even know they have a new OS. Almost everyone I ask about why they wouldn't consider a BB their reasonings all are with the assumption that it is still the BB OS7 from before.

And the point of the battery life is that phones with poor battery life still sells well, not that they are direct competitors, just disproving your theory that it was a reason for the poor sales. NOBODY even knew what battery life the devices have, they never looked at them! Literally, the Z10 could have had a battery that lasted 5 days and it wouldn't have made a difference because everyone automatically dismissed BB's the moment they see the namebrand. There wasn't a single person I have talked to mentioned a single technical set back of any of the BB devices as why they dismiss the brand. NOT A SINGLE ONE.

But hey, again, there must me something in the water here and you must know something I don't.

?Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10

But in order for BlackBerry to sell they need to do better. They can't have mediocre battery life and mediocre cameras. Other companies can get away with it because of their reputations. With BlackBerry's, it just hurt more, and is almost expected.

While the Passport would gain interest, most would see it, know about it, and not buy it because there will be no demand. With a super high end full touch, they may consider it. That's the difference.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    07-20-14 12:25 AM
    May I ask what is so horribly wrong with the Z10? Other than a poor battery (which many other phones suffer from). I use a Z10 and a Z30 and I love them both.
    I realize that my Z10 probably isn't normal, but I have many of the problems that are frequently brought up on the forums.

1. Buying the Z10 at $800 (more than the iPhone where I live) and then watching the price plummet to like $250 in a few months.

2. Wi-fi and network problems. So severe I barely even use my phone anymore.

3. Bad battery life (as you mentioned) as well as slow charging and boot up times.

4. APPS and GAMES. As an uneducated teenager, I unfortunately am immature enough to care about these trivial, non-business related things that only several other millions of people also happen to care about.

5. Frequent lag, random restarts, waiting for upgrades, and other performance problems.

6. Camera :'(. Although under the perfect conditions, I actually think it's better than the iPhone. Anything other than perfect conditions and it's terrible. Also really slow though.

7. File manager. This might seem really strange to most people, but I'm actually not fond of file manager. Every time I want to share something, instead of simply taking me to the photos app I have to hunt through the file manager to find what I want. Especially annoying because you have to select then one by one.

8. Design. Although the device itself is pretty beautiful, the OS is inconsistent and not appealing in terms of design. Practically every page has a different color scheme, font/font size, and it just gets really annoying for me. The hub and icons are so plain and pretty ugly tbh. The keyboard is beautiful though.

So there is my brainstorm. Of course I'm focusing in the negative here, there's a lot of good to say about this device and I'm willing to accept that there's probably something wrong with my device (despite friends and relatives having problems as well) but I'm not willing to risk buying another BlackBerry for now.

Posted via CB10
    afhstingray likes this.
    07-20-14 12:31 AM
    Wow...loyalty is blind, you can sit here and speculate all you want but the only people who are going to care are the few on here......just like all the other released devices. There's nothing new here or ground breaking that going to draw in people and with BB's great marketing... Gonna need a miracle.

Sent from my super secret shoe device using Tapatalk HD
    07-20-14 12:31 AM
    But in order for BlackBerry to sell they need to do better. They can't have mediocre battery life and mediocre cameras. Other companies can get away with it because of their reputations. With BlackBerry's, it just hurt more, and is almost expected.

While the Passport would gain interest, most would see it, know about it, and not buy it because there will be no demand. With a super high end full touch, they may consider it. That's the difference.
    The moment they see the name "BlackBerry" they stop reading. It could have a revolutionary camera with epic battery life and a crazy good screen, nobody will know since it still says BlackBerry and they won't even bother to read about it. They need something that stands out to get their attention, THEN wow them with specs. Otherwise, people see yet another glass slab but with the name "BlackBerry" on top and they're already moving on to the next phone before they even start to read about what features it has... At least this ugly fat phone has people going "what the hell is this?" and in their morbid curiosity, expecting to see crappy specs since it's a BlackBerry, they instead read that it'll have a quad-core CPU, as much RAM as the latest Android, and a new keyboard that also has capacitive touch capabilities, then you start to see people take notice...

Like I've said, I haven't had a single friend who have asked me for advice on phone who would name a single technical attribute about any of the BB10 devices as the reason they wouldn't ever consider buying one. Literally when I would dig further and ask them what they know about the technical abilities of them, they will say things like they are slow and can't even browse online... Seriously... I literally have one tech geek friend that does know some of this stuff. And the funniest thing is that even though he's an Android fanboy, he tells me the one thing he really wishes he had on his Android is a trackpad like the one from my old 9900, haha. Funny since I'm the BB user and I am the one that doesn't consider the trackpad the most important feature on the upcoming toolbelt's return. For me, it's the call end button...

Anyway, I don't agree that specs will win anything if people never even bother to look at the specs. Please go out and find me even one non-BB using person who can tell you any of the specs of any of the current BB10 phones... Even my one techy friend who knows about BB10 probably couldn't tell you anything specific about the specs... It's like saying my winning personality (lmao) will win me a great girlfriend if I'm so unattractive that they never even bother to talk to me in the first place... :-D
    afhstingray likes this.
    07-20-14 12:44 AM
    i read this article earlier in the day and this guy just seems to have never used a bb10 device i mean for petes sake he's comparing iphone 5's to bolds wth is wrong with this guy nd he gets paid for this ? heck my nintendo just doesnt look as good as my xbox 360 for some reason dont know why though
    lift likes this.
    07-20-14 01:01 AM
    The moment they see the name "BlackBerry" they stop reading. It could have a revolutionary camera with epic battery life and a crazy good screen, nobody will know since it still says BlackBerry and they won't even bother to read about it. They need something that stands out to get their attention, THEN wow them with specs. Otherwise, people see yet another glass slab but with the name "BlackBerry" on top and they're already moving on to the next phone before they even start to read about what features it has... At least this ugly fat phone has people going "what the hell is this?" and in their morbid curiosity, expecting to see crappy specs since it's a BlackBerry, they instead read that it'll have a quad-core CPU, as much RAM as the latest Android, and a new keyboard that also has capacitive touch capabilities, then you start to see people take notice...

Like I've said, I haven't had a single friend who have asked me for advice on phone who would name a single technical attribute about any of the BB10 devices as the reason they wouldn't ever consider buying one. Literally when I would dig further and ask them what they know about the technical abilities of them, they will say things like they are slow and can't even browse online... Seriously... I literally have one tech geek friend that does know some of this stuff. And the funniest thing is that even though he's an Android fanboy, he tells me the one thing he really wishes he had on his Android is a trackpad like the one from my old 9900, haha. Funny since I'm the BB user and I am the one that doesn't consider the trackpad the most important feature on the upcoming toolbelt's return. For me, it's the call end button...

Anyway, I don't agree that specs will win anything if people never even bother to look at the specs. Please go out and find me even one non-BB using person who can tell you any of the specs of any of the current BB10 phones... Even my one techy friend who knows about BB10 probably couldn't tell you anything specific about the specs... It's like saying my winning personality (lmao) will win me a great girlfriend if I'm so unattractive that they never even bother to talk to me in the first place... :-D
    It's not that people are consciously avoiding anything related to BlackBerry. They simply don't know about it.

For me personally, I don't know anything about windows phone. It's not because I turn away every time I see a windows phone, it's just because I never see it anywhere. I've heard of it, but thats all. I never had the curiosity to remember to make a Google search of it.

I'm telling you, it's the marketing that makes the difference. Not just the negative stigma.

Posted via CB10
    Mr4aces and lift like this.
    07-20-14 01:14 AM
    It's not that people are consciously avoiding anything related to BlackBerry. They simply don't know about it.

For me personally, I don't know anything about windows phone. It's not because I turn away every time I see a windows phone, it's just because I never see it anywhere. I've heard of it, but thats all. I never had the curiosity to remember to make a Google search of it.

I'm telling you, it's the marketing that makes the difference. Not just the negative stigma.

Posted via CB10
    I'm just telling you from personal experience dealing with people. They ask me about phones, so I list them the options, and literally, I will say "Right now you can choose from Android, iPhone, BlackBerry, or Windows Phone" and they would literally interrupt me when I even mention BlackBerry to make sure I know they would not consider one. And I actually DON'T recommend BB to everyone because everyone has different needs, but on more than one occasion this has happened to me. So I have to ask them, why, and their answers literally never have anything to do with any real draw-backs of current BB10 phones. Like I've mentioned, they will say things like "aren't they really slow and you can't do anything with them?" Which, on the surface might sound like a technical gripe, but really, they are thinking about the old OS7 devices, because while they may not have the best specs out there, they are in no way "slow" and they will say things like how it can't even properly browse the internet, and some are so out of touch they think they don't even have touchscreens...

So this is more than simply lack of advertising, which I agree is also a problem, here I am, offering to provide them information on ALL of the platforms, and they are explicitly telling me to simply skip BlackBerry as if it'll somehow hurt them to hear about it... Same thing with my experiences inside stores. My local AT&T stores still do carry live BB10 units. One Z10 and one Q10. I see people all of the time browsing, stopping at every booth, then when they see the BB booth, they simply walk past it, as if they don't want to be seen in front of the BlackBerry phones... I never see any one even bother to try one for themselves... Yet when you ask them, they will act like they know all about it and how they are slow, and how the company is dead, and blah blah blah...
    spyeagle and Mr4aces like this.
    07-20-14 01:35 AM
    Don?t be fooled by nostalgia: Running back to BlackBerry is still a mistake

Read more: Leaving iOS for BlackBerry is Like Selling a Car to Buy a Horse | Digital Trends
    Who let this ill informed person on Crackberry. Seems our standards are slipping.
    07-20-14 01:54 AM
    I wish they would release a all touch flagship and the passport together. It would satisfy so many people. The classic would be icing on top. Devices for everyone!

Posted via CB10
    lift and afhstingray like this.
    07-20-14 02:52 AM
    You mentioned that you occasionally use the web. This is striking to me.

Last month I used 80 gigs on T-Mobile ( file transfers/ torrents). I use calling the least. I have 5 Google accounts and 1 Windows. The smartphone for me is primarily a internet portal.
    That may be your usage but there are actually other people that have work to do and not be on the internet all day. Heck, I don't even use more than 20GB a month on my home internet. So that was a pretty foolish post imo.
    07-20-14 03:11 AM

In my family there are three S4, I can confirm that what you say is not true, the S4 battery lasts 6 hrs in moderate use and 4 in heavy use, everybody in my office with a S4 including me, needs to carry a charger all the time and be a wall hugger (well in this case a module hugger )
    07-20-14 03:58 AM
    I can see by the comments the classic may be a step back but i just want one. I think my fingers and thumbs belonged to a gorilla in a former life and a touch phone invents a language even i dont understand tho i just wrote it. I have to go back and annotate the message so it dont look like some coded message from a devious source. So let me have my qwerty.

Posted via CrackBerry App
    Mr4aces and AthenaSmith like this.
    07-20-14 04:38 AM
    The negative reaction, if there is any, will mostly be directed towards the decision to remove numbers and punctuation from the primary physical keyboard along with the three-row versus traditional four-row keyboard layout as a potential secondary contender. The form-factor of the BlackBerry Passport is not terrible but if it deviates from the physical dimensions (length and width) of a paper passport the name will be ridiculed much as was the BlackBerry "PlayBook" sports metaphor for a "professional-grade" tablet as it was initially touted.
    It seems that BlackBerry started with the idea of making a device that's in the form factor of a passport and designed it from there, which is probably why the keyboard is only three rows, to accommodate the largest square screen they could fit and still have a keyboard. The fourth row of keys would probably make the screen either non-square (which would go against easily scaling up Q10 apps) or increase left/right bezel.

As we have seen from the Arabic version of the Passport keyboard, it's still possible that extra characters could be printed on the keys.
    07-20-14 06:47 AM
    Exactly. Name calling and insults do nothing. Make great, valid arguments and change the conversation. Get people interested in what you have to say. You don't need to hurl verbal diarrhea to do that. In no way defending his article, I just think there's better ways to disagree. Ways that can help. *shrug*
    Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Germany. 2014 FIFA World Cup Champs!
    07-20-14 08:25 AM
    If there was one planned (and if it was supposed to be SUPER high end, like it needs to me), don't you think they would have at least made some sort of announcement?
    Not necessarily. everybody should just chill.

Posted via CB10
    07-20-14 08:29 AM
    I can see by the comments the classic may be a step back but i just want one. I think my fingers and thumbs belonged to a gorilla in a former life and a touch phone invents a language even i dont understand tho i just wrote it. I have to go back and annotate the message so it dont look like some coded message from a devious source. So let me have my qwerty.

Posted via CrackBerry App
    Hahaha. I needed a good laugh this morning. And yes, you are very much entitled to your "qwerty fix".

Posted via CB10
    07-20-14 08:32 AM
    Passport sure evokes some powerful emotions.

The thread started out about some blog. And is turning into full touch versus passport discussion.

If nothing else this tells me BlackBerry is on the right path. For them to have produced a device that gets so much emotional response from fans and non-fans is sight to behold. Can't remember last time a BlackBerry device was able to do this.

Posted via CB10
    I totally agree with you .

Posted via CB10
    07-20-14 08:40 AM
    They already did that. It didn't work and they are moving on. In the end, a slab phone is a slab phone just like vanilla is always vanilla. No means of differentiating.
    No they haven't. The Z10 and Z30 may have been high-end flagships when they were conceptualised for the first time...
    But compared to everything else out there when those phones launched, they were just overpriced and underspecced.

BlackBerry hasn't released an appealing all-touch device since they exist.
    And the sale numbers clearly show that.

The Passport might entice more buyers than the user you responded to thinks, but to not have launched a real all touch flagship by now, or at least alongside the Passport, is just ridiculous.

Posted via CB10
    07-20-14 08:45 AM
    You simply never fail to amaze me with your "it's a form factor that will not appeal to the masses" shenanigan. It seems you can read the mind of the masses. Just because you don't like something does not mean that "the masses" will think likewise.
    Btw the article is the stupidest article I have ever read to date. SMH
    Would it have been better if I added "imo" at the end of the post? Or is it ok for us to assume that since this is an Internet forum that generally my posts, yours and the overwhelming majority of others are opinion based?

Z10
    TgeekB and lift like this.
    07-20-14 08:50 AM
    There seems to be an assumption that people moved to iOS and Android because they prefer touch keyboards. I don't think this is the case. We all know (and constantly hear elsewhere) why people didn't like BBOS, and I don't think I've ever encountered anybody who said they left because they didn't like the physical keyboard.

I would, in fact, certainly argue the opposite. I couldn't even begin to count the number of mis-typed messages I've received from friends and colleagues which are shortly followed by another with corrections and a suffix along the lines of "f***ing iPhone keyboard!". People have stayed away because of the small screen sizes, lack of apps which they believe to be essential to the user experience, and crap salesmanship which largely stems from the carriers being forced by Apple to commit to enormous iPhone stocks upfront.
    07-20-14 08:55 AM
    I hope the passport is a success and take my hat off to BlackBerry for innovation. The passport is designed to keep successful business people moving and look good in their hands and not as a consumer toy that is jack of all trades master of none. As for people moaning about 1:1 screen size how often do you see top CEO s wasting their valuable time on flappy duck or candy crush. If 1:1 is not what you need then get a different phone don't expect BlackBerry to compromise their top of the range business tools so they fit in to a product line they don't belong to

Tapping and flicking on my Zed 10
    Mr4aces likes this.
    07-20-14 09:20 AM
    Just thought i would add BlackBerry is1. BES 2. Communications tools to complement BES 3. Handsets. The first is BlackBerry's lifeblood the second complements the first and lastly consumer handsets that we hope will pick up and become more popular BB10 is a good starting point. The world will be a poorer place without BlackBerry phones but BlackBerry has to take strong decision s to survive so it makes sense to make phones aimed at their strongest market first. Then consumer products.

Tapping and flicking on my Zed 10
    dbiv5445 likes this.
    07-20-14 09:35 AM
    People might turn their faces away when they see the word BlackBerry before even seeing what specs is there.

But definitely a tempting price will get them interested to take a look on the specs.

I say full touch flagship with a ridiculously tempting price. With a decent marketing campaign and maybe a possibility to trade in Android and iPhone devices.

People care about price first, specs and brand name except for brand loyals of course. That's how the emerging Chinese phone manufacturers made their way. Xiaomi drew people's attention with 1) price 2) specs

Please join my photography channel
    lift and afhstingray like this.
    07-20-14 09:47 AM
432 ... 56789 ...