07-31-14 10:03 PM
432 1234 ...
tools
    Also bear in mind BlackBerry is not launching the Passport with the same expectation of Z10 or Q10. They are very well aware of the company shrinking consumers market. I think the mistake that many of us is assuming and expecting Passport is going to sell like hotcakes and suddenly recaptured the lost market of yesteryear. That is not going to happen. No company with a realistic approach to a business plan of surviving and recovering should have that kind of expectation. This is not the business approach of a one hit wonder or one shot deal. I know many of us wanted BlackBerry to succeed. Pumping your own expectation beyond reality is going to be one big disappointment and that's for sure is a guarantee.
    Shadowyugi likes this.
    07-19-14 11:07 AM
    I remember going from a bold to an iPhone 4 and it was the biggest step backwards ever. Like going from a jet plane to carrier pigeon.. But the pigeon could have at least carried multiple attachments to messages.....
    So that's why I had to receive six different emails with attachments from my iPhone carrying friend lmao

Posted via CB10
    Shadowyugi likes this.
    07-19-14 11:09 AM
    Out of BlackBerry compassion, we should offer help to Andy.

Posted via CB10
    THBW, Akainzo and Shadowyugi like this.
    07-19-14 11:23 AM
    I can see why he would bash BlackBerry like that coming from a OS7 device, but honestly, BB10 is nothing like that anymore, the only problem are the apps but the system is amazing and probably better than iOS.

Someone tie him up and make him look at someone using a BlackBerry 10 device for hours until he understands.

Posted via CB10
    menshawy likes this.
    07-19-14 11:25 AM
    I have used an iPhone since the first model and I went back to Blackberry because it's geared more towards what I use my device for which is messaging, email, social media and occasionally looking up something on the web.

Features like the hub, peek and gesturing are features I now find myself not being able to live without. The hub is a unique feature that has become a valuable tool and makes me more productive.

I know allot of the younger folks today use their device for everything from banking, social media, web surfing, music and videos, but there is still a niche group out there who prefers a solid device that serves as a good productive tool.

I think Blackberry will never have the market share they once had, but they will have enough of a following to allow them to release a couple of devices a year and still make money and for me, that's all I can ask for.

Sent from my lovely z30 on T Mobile USA
    Thanks for your post but I will correct you on one point. I don't think what you do is niche. I think it is what most people do on their phone. Apps are nice but most people download a few and rarely move beyond the conventional. These are easily covered by all platforms including BB10.

For my needs, I need an efficient email, social media, the ability to receive, review and edit documents and most importantly stay connected. BB10 is simply shines in this capacity and this is what I do 80% of the time. The other 20% is sitting around in airports and cabs; a little music, entertainment and perhaps a few games are nice to kill the time. BB10 does this easily. There, I'm done.

So there you go. I buy a device that does the things I need it to do and then I can have a bit of fun as well. This sounds like most people I know although I must admit I'm sure the 15-20 year old demographic might be different.
    Shadowyugi likes this.
    07-19-14 11:28 AM
    I can see why he would bash BlackBerry like that coming from a OS7 device, but honestly, BB10 is nothing like that anymore, the only problem are the apps but the system is amazing and probably better than iOS.

Someone tie him up and make him look at someone using a BlackBerry 10 device for hours until he understands.

Posted via CB10
    That's why people who haven't tried BlackBerry 10 shouldn't even speak about BlackBerry. Much like how he illustrates how consumers shouldn't count on nostalgia, neither should he.
    07-19-14 11:29 AM
    What would you have them release instead, then? Most people aren't interested in BlackBerry all-touch devices, as they see them as either 'Android without Google Play' or 'iPhone without the prestige'. The only strength BlackBerry has left in the marketplace is that nobody has yet bettered them at the things they do well. Their only hope is to play to those strengths.
    This. Lot of people just don't seem to get it. Their desire for a high end BlackBerry touch does not mean that is the best path for BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    Shadowyugi likes this.
    07-19-14 11:36 AM
    Out of BlackBerry compassion, we should offer help to Andy.

Posted via CB10
    Maybe we should put a collection together and buy him a passport. Clearly, something deep down inside is telling him that his Apple relationship isn't working. Perhaps, Apple stopped listening and consequently Andy doesn't get the support he needs for a meaningful relationship. Maybe the trust that so many relationships are built on was shattered, with one side abusing the other by saying you only deserve out of date hardware and a yesteryear operating system. Dr. Phil, are you out there. Andy needs to connect. Hmm, well maybe he's trying to connect but darn Apple antennae makes it so hard.
    Breezygirl8 likes this.
    07-19-14 11:37 AM
    That's why people who haven't tried BlackBerry 10 shouldn't even speak about BlackBerry. Much like how he illustrates how consumers shouldn't count on nostalgia, neither should he.

Well the author did say in the comments that he has owned BB10 devices but got sick of it, or something along those lines
    07-19-14 11:39 AM
    Lol wow I've never seen a tech writer get so emotional over a phone company. I legit think his wife ran off with a BlackBerry exec or something. That or he's short the stock. Why else mention stock price when comparing handsets and os's?

You prefer a certain phone manufacturer? Ok that's cool. But why get so **** hurt over it? Reading that article reminded of a teenage girl sitting in her room angrily texting a boy who stood her up while tears well up under her eyes.

Make your facts. State why you believe something is better than the competitor(even though he's using the old Bold to back up his point.) No need to get so emotional. Lay off the soy and remember they're just stupid phones.
    07-19-14 11:40 AM
    The author is obviously just trolling us all.

It's very clear that BlackBerry's turn around is coming as evidenced by the rising stock price, the very clear focus on enterprise, security, and project ION.

It's also no secret anymore that bb10 is on par, if not better, than competing systems and with Maluba now being on board as the voice assistant and the coming android runtime on 10.3, bb10 is finally going to have everything i like about android PLUS more.

You guys check out the Maluba voice assistant, it's apparently better than Google voice and siri - that's something to get excited about.

Don't worry about this troll - don't dignify it by calling it an article it read like a random rant from a comments section.

Posted via CB10 Right on Cue
    07-19-14 11:41 AM
    BlackBerry is trying to get out there in the news more and more these days and thats nice to see, but a broader PR penetration and watching the various news outlets is required, like this very personal one. People take note of such articles, form opinions and if you remain silent you've lost them. I mean this article reeks of contempt, not based on personal experience with the device, but personal opinion, which will cause damages that chip away bit by bit, except blackberry starts to speak up! I mean horse versus car?? That's just mean dood!

Has anyone noticed how no day goes by without an article about "iPhone 6"; delay with screens, timeline shifted, won't be ready till 2015 and then it will miraculously hit the shelfs by September....... Same old strategy year after year, just staying in the media with news anything to mention the brand along with drool worthy renders of the device, thats the power of PR!

Interestingly the picture of the Passport in that article looks smashing, more people have seen it now, BlackBerry should get to work with their PR agency pronto!
    Shadowyugi likes this.
    07-19-14 11:59 AM
    Really? Nobody saw this coming? Since the first minute I saw the Passport I have been saying this was going to happen. People don't care what the device can do or if it is innovative or not. Most of the review sites and the general public will take one look at the device and either write articles like this or just look the other way. WHY? Because it's a QWERTY BlackBerry. And worse, it's a funny looking and ugly BlackBerry.
    I hate to say I told you so, but this is only the beginning. The general public will laugh and joke about it. Doesn't matter if they tried it or not. Doesn't matter if it the best invention since the wheel. It's a QWERTY and has BlackBerry's name on it and that is why this is going to keep happening. BlackBerry should have put out a sexy all touch flagship to get people interested in BlackBerry's name again. Then released this disaster of a phone. Just my opinion.
    johnny_bravo72 and BB_Junky like this.
    07-19-14 12:37 PM
    Really? Nobody saw this coming? Since the first minute I saw the Passport I have been saying this was going to happen. People don't care what the device can do or if it is innovative or not. Most of the review sites and the general public will take one look at the device and either write articles like this or just look the other way. WHY? Because it's a QWERTY BlackBerry. And worse, it's a funny looking and ugly BlackBerry.
    I hate to say I told you so, but this is only the beginning. The general public will laugh and joke about it. Doesn't matter if they tried it or not. Doesn't matter if it the best invention since the wheel. It's a QWERTY and has BlackBerry's name on it and that is why this is going to keep happening. BlackBerry should have put out a sexy all touch flagship to get people interested in BlackBerry's name again. Then released this disaster of a phone. Just my opinion.
    They already did that. It didn't work and they are moving on. In the end, a slab phone is a slab phone just like vanilla is always vanilla. No means of differentiating.
    07-19-14 12:51 PM
    This device is bang on what they should be doing. Putting out a slab phone that matches everything else on the market will not differentiate the brand. A 5 or 6" slab phone made by xyz company is just getting boring. This market is saturated with these and only going to get worse.

Posted via CB10
    07-19-14 12:51 PM
    Fact check

Posted via CB10
    07-19-14 12:52 PM
    I can’t figure out how people seem to choose one platform over another and automatically think that because that platform suits them, every other platform is flat-out sh^t. If you’re an iOS fan, fine, more power to you, but that doesn’t give you the right to sh^t on every other platform. I like BlackBerry because the devices do what I want them to do professionally, but I am not going to go out there and bash the iOS or Android platforms simply because I am on team BlackBerry.
    As a grown-up, I have outgrown petty things like picking on others in order to feel good about myself. Actually, I was never like that, but you get the gist of what I am saying hopefully. It seems very immature to bash a phone that isn’t on the market yet, simply because of a past experience with an older style phone using an equally aged operating system that you have since switched from. I think, like a lot of you, that he is nervous because of the attention the BlackBerry Passport is generating. This, of course, is my opinion.
    07-19-14 12:55 PM
    This is the battle that BlackBerry has in front of them from the tech media. The Passport and Classic will most likely not be well received in general. There are going to be some scathing reviews because it's a BlackBerry and because it's a form factor that will not appeal to the masses.

Z10
    You got the first part right, they will have an uphill battle because of the name BB. Nothing to do with form factor, they've release several all-touch devices already, the media still treats them like they are infected because they have the BB branding on them. People now only care about what is "cool" and what will make them "fit in" so they go for brands that promise to deliver that to them. A BB instantly brands you "uncool" so most people avoid it like the plague...

?Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    07-19-14 01:01 PM
    Because of this author I now associate digital trends journalists with people who lack moral fiber.

Posted via CB10
    07-19-14 01:03 PM
    That's why I think the Passport is a risky device...a device like that could either be a savior in some sense or absolutely dig the company's grave. I think a REALLY high end touch would have been a better option.

I'm not a fan of the Passport, and I'm afraid the media won't be either. And I'm afraid they'll mock the buttons on the Classic. These were risky devices to pump out, especially with no flagship touch on the horizon
    Yes, forget everyone who cares more about typing accuracy than watching netflix on their phones. Lets just all only make all-touch devices. I'm sure that would save BB...

I'm not a fan of the Passport because I'd rather have a full keyboard, but the Passport has generated more buzz for BB than any "me too" all-touch that looks the same as 99% of the other phones out there would do. So if it gets them in the papers, I say it's working. It's just weird enough to get attention, which I feel is a good thing. Yet another glass slab isn't going to do anything. It'll still have the BlackBerry name attached to it which means people will automatically attribute it to being "uncool" and "unpopular" which is enough for most people to avoid it. They need something different enough that will draw their attention more than that aspect of the brand, and the Passport seems to be working so far...

?Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    07-19-14 01:09 PM
    Slow down guys these people usually come from disfuntional families and carry blocks of wood on their shoulders any platform is a pulpit for their preaching to wind up the world. Walk away and ignore until they realise they have no friends.
    07-19-14 01:10 PM
    I think talking crap about BlackBerry gets you visits, and that's what they're counting on.
    /thread

Posted via CB10
    07-19-14 01:13 PM
    Thanks for your post but I will correct you on one point. I don't think what you do is niche. I think it is what most people do on their phone. Apps are nice but most people download a few and rarely move beyond the conventional. These are easily covered by all platforms including BB10.

For my needs, I need an efficient email, social media, the ability to receive, review and edit documents and most importantly stay connected. BB10 is simply shines in this capacity and this is what I do 80% of the time. The other 20% is sitting around in airports and cabs; a little music, entertainment and perhaps a few games are nice to kill the time. BB10 does this easily. There, I'm done.

So there you go. I buy a device that does the things I need it to do and then I can have a bit of fun as well. This sounds like most people I know although I must admit I'm sure the 15-20 year old demographic might be different.
    I think it is the older business folks and home makers that struggle with BB devices.
    07-19-14 01:17 PM
    What would you have them release instead, then? Most people aren't interested in BlackBerry all-touch devices, as they see them as either 'Android without Google Play' or 'iPhone without the prestige'. The only strength BlackBerry has left in the marketplace is that nobody has yet bettered them at the things they do well. Their only hope is to play to those strengths.
    Well said! Totally agree with your point of view.

Sent from my Z 30
    07-19-14 01:25 PM
    The Author is the TOOL, not the people buying BlackBerry phones

Posted via CB10
    Shadowyugi likes this.
    07-19-14 01:26 PM
432 1234 ...