07-31-14 09:03 PM
432 ... 1415161718
tools
    So bb10 will operate even worse with 10.3 over 10.1 then. Great i look forward to the crappy experience....
    It just didn't make sense my iPhone 4s started lagging on ios 6 and 7 was ridiculous

Posted via CB10
    07-29-14 09:40 AM
    Only if they have something that is worth advertising. It needs a hook.

Posted using my Z10 via CB10
    Seeing how so many crappy products do well simply because of public perception, good advertising can create that hook...

?Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    07-29-14 10:57 AM
    That's because everyone thinks the galaxy S 5 is the messia. Everyone is making their decision on BlackBerry has yet to even touch one. Even if BlackBerry themselves advertise the hell out of the blackberry, it wouldn't make a difference in the US right now. other markets are adapting to blackberry just fine and have more of an open mind then those in the US. That is the issue plane and simple. Ask around and you shall see for yourself.

Posted via CB10
    I agree that the majority of people who talk crap about BB has never even tried a new BB10. That's my personal experience with people daily. I haven't found one yet that would give me actual tangible reasons why they don't like BB. It's all based on perception and how "uncool" it is. However I disagree with you about advertising. Advertising does indeed work. If they can be clever with their marketing, to make the brand appear "cool" they can definitely make headway.

lift likes this.
    07-29-14 11:01 AM
    Seeing how so many crappy products do well simply because of public perception, good advertising can create that hook...

Perhaps. I think that those products the advertising department creates the hook and uses that as the center of their marketing campaign.

I really think that BlackBerry could create a very successful marketing campaign if they release a device that is the first to offer some feature. Even if that feature isn't something that is highly required. Some gimmick or spec that they can point to and say "Wow look at us."

07-29-14 11:54 AM
    I agree that the majority of people who talk crap about BB has never even tried a new BB10. That's my personal experience with people daily. I haven't found one yet that would give me actual tangible reasons why they don't like BB. It's all based on perception and how "uncool" it is. However I disagree with you about advertising. Advertising does indeed work. If they can be clever with their marketing, to make the brand appear "cool" they can definitely make headway.

I agree that many people's perception of BlackBerry is based on older devices and OS. However, when first released BB10 wasn't something that was really ready the way it is now. At the time the BB10 OS and devices didn't really offer anything that really would motivate people to try it. Now with 10.2.1 they are getting there in terms of the OS. The devices I'm not so sure.

07-29-14 11:56 AM
    Lol hows this still a thread!?.

Posted via CB10
    07-29-14 12:00 PM
    Perhaps. I think that those products the advertising department creates the hook and uses that as the center of their marketing campaign.

I really think that BlackBerry could create a very successful marketing campaign if they release a device that is the first to offer some feature. Even if that feature isn't something that is highly required. Some gimmick or spec that they can point to and say "Wow look at us."

You mean like a keyboard with capacitive touch? An idea I mentioned to my friend over a year ago btw. Knew I should have patented it...

07-29-14 12:47 PM
    You mean like a keyboard with capacitive touch? An idea I mentioned to my friend over a year ago btw. Knew I should have patented it...

Nice try, but no.

Unfortunately, while it might be a new variation on a keyboard, I don't think the Passport will gain much traction even with a marketing campaign about the new captive touch keyboard. The reason that I say that is because there is a perception that keyboard phones are yesterday's tech. Trying to convince people that this is not the case would be difficult to say the least.

What I'm suggesting is something completely new that hasn't been tried before. Retina scam locking or some other gimmick. Even a new screen with higher resolution than any other currently released might work, although not as well as somehow completely new.

07-29-14 03:59 PM

I don't think so. BlackBerry lost its audience and the media along with Wallstreet when they all gave BlackBerry the cautionary tail. BlackBerry will continue to cater to other markets because it's doing well in other markets. Maybe one day the masses in the US will feel different towards blackberry and then BlackBerry may shine once more. John Chen stated this in not so many words when he's said BlackBerry is concentrating on enterprise.

Posted via CB10
    07-29-14 06:39 PM
    Nice try, but no.

Unfortunately, while it might be a new variation on a keyboard, I don't think the Passport will gain much traction even with a marketing campaign about the new captive touch keyboard. The reason that I say that is because there is a perception that keyboard phones are yesterday's tech. Trying to convince people that this is not the case would be difficult to say the least.

What I'm suggesting is something completely new that hasn't been tried before. Retina scam locking or some other gimmick. Even a new screen with higher resolution than any other currently released might work, although not as well as somehow completely new.

Oh, so another all-touch? Yah, that'll definitely work. They can release one with a super HD screen and it'll probably be the highest resolution for all of maybe a week before an Android comes out with a better resolution. Same with the retina scanner. But that should be enough time...

07-29-14 10:18 PM
    Oh, so another all-touch?
    Obviously. Are you really trying to claim that a keyboard phone will be the savior?

07-30-14 08:27 AM
    Obviously. Are you really trying to claim that a keyboard phone will be the savior?

Since they are focused on enterprise, it's a reasonable assumption that if they'd have a savior it'd be a keyboard.

From a z user

Posted via CB10
    07-30-14 10:57 AM
    Since they are focused on enterprise, it's a reasonable assumption that if they'd have a savior it'd be a keyboard.

From a z user

Posted via CB10
    I don't think that most enterprises are looking for keyboard phones. If they were then there wouldn't be so many switching to the iPhone and Android. The fact is that while the physical keyboard might be better for typing, people don't want it taking up space when they are using it.

anon1727506, MarsupilamiX and lift like this.
    07-30-14 12:17 PM
    Obvious to you, and maybe many other BlackBerry faithful. Not obvious to me.

He is of the opinion that it isn't worth running back to BlackBerry, yet. I don't know why that means he dislikes BlackBerry. I don't think so either, and I don't dislike BlackBerry.

It's not because I'm a blackberry user. I am not confined or loyal to any OS I just get what works for me. I have different devices 3 from apple and one android and one blackberry. I just thought the way he put it in his article is more bias to one company. It is his opinion of course. Most people who try bb10 for the sake of review 1. They have already formed an opinion without having to try.
    2. They expect the device to work like other OS and when it is just like the other os they would dismiss it as copycat.
    Rarely will they point out the strength of the device.

via Q10
    Last edited by arlene_t; 07-30-14 at 01:03 PM.
    07-30-14 12:50 PM
    I don't think that most enterprises are looking for keyboard phones. If they were then there wouldn't be so many switching to the iPhone and Android. The fact is that while the physical keyboard might be better for typing, people don't want it taking up space when they are using it.

There are no keyboard variants of iPhone and high end Android devices

Z10 STL100-1/10.2.1.3247
    07-30-14 01:15 PM

No one device will be a "savior." Especially not one that will get completely ignored by the public regardless of how good or bad it is...

07-30-14 01:31 PM
    1. They have already formed an opinion without having to try.
    2. They expect the device to work like other OS and when it is just like the other os they would dismiss it as copycat.
    Rarely will they point out the strength of the device.
    And you know this because you asked them and they confirmed it?

07-30-14 01:32 PM

Z10 STL100-1/10.2.1.3247
    Because nobody wants them! OK, not nobody. Let's say a very small niche.

anon1727506, MarsupilamiX and lift like this.
    07-30-14 01:33 PM

Z10 STL100-1/10.2.1.3247

I wonder why that is..... ?
    MarsupilamiX and lift like this.
    07-30-14 01:41 PM
    And you know this because you asked them and they confirmed it?

I don't know about the guy you replied to, or about people who review phones, but from "normal" consumers, that's pretty much exactly how it is. And yes, I've asked quite a few people and pretty much all of them have formed their opinion about BB devices without having tried any of them.

07-30-14 01:49 PM
    Because nobody wants them! OK, not nobody. Let's say a very small niche.

Edit: Sorry for my wording, this is of course my opinion based on my experience:

It's because it's not "cool" and that's all people care about. The majority of people I've talked to who were going to get a smartphone for the first time tell me they would prefer a keyboard. But they end up buying an all-touch and when I ask why: "oh, I was told this is what's cool now." Seriously, they will tell me exactly that. Doing and buying things you don't really prefer just to be "cool" isn't anything to hide anymore...

Edit: And you really need to read some of the text conversations I have with some friends. I honestly don't get how they can be satisfied to have so many typos. I guess I'm just OCD, but that would drive me bananas...

Last edited by slagman5; 07-30-14 at 02:32 PM.
    07-30-14 01:51 PM
    I wonder why that is..... ?
    Because it isn't considered "cool" and that's the primary focus of the majority of consumers now-a-days.

07-30-14 01:54 PM
    Wrong again. It's because it's not "cool" and that's all people care about. The majority of people I've talked to who were going to get a smartphone for the first time tell me they would prefer a keyboard. But they end up buying an all-touch and when I ask why: "oh, I was told this is what's cool now." Seriously, they will tell me exactly that. Doing and buying things you don't really prefer just to be "cool" isn't anything to hide anymore...

Edit: And you really need to read some of the text conversations I have with some friends. I honestly don't get how they can be satisfied to have so many typos. I guess I'm just OCD, but that would drive me bananas...

Nah. I know round these parts, people think BB10 users have the concept of usability on lock, but the truth, IME, is that BBRY devices are not as functional for more people than some of the alternatives.

"Coolness" can't necessarily be ignored, but nothing beats a functional device-ecosystem combo.
    07-30-14 02:07 PM
    Nah. I know round these parts, people think BB10 users have the concept of usability on lock, but the truth, IME, is that BBRY devices are not as functional for more people than some of the alternatives.

"Coolness" can't necessarily be ignored, but nothing beats a functional device-ecosystem combo.
    And yet, none of the people I've asked have ever tried one. So how are they supposed to know how "functional" one is or not?

07-30-14 02:31 PM
    And yet, none of the people I've asked have ever tried one. So how are they supposed to know how "functional" one is or not?

Why would they need to if what they have works?
    07-30-14 02:43 PM
432 ... 1415161718