On September 20th, BlackBerry broke some very bad news to its users. After a disastrous quarter, the company was cutting staff and retreating from the consumer market to focus on enterprise, something CEO Thorsten Heins called "difficult but necessary." BlackBerrys days of competing with Apple, Samsung, and Microsoft were over. The business world is still struggling with the news, but its been equally hard for the companys core of loyal fans, who have stuck with the platform through years of troubled launches and ecosystem decline.

TOO LITTLE, TOO LATE

To some extent, this move has been a long time coming. "We've already seen it shift," says CrackBerry editor Kevin Michaluk, whos spent years covering the community. "Over the last three years, in the US especially, many of the BlackBerry fans have just moved on." The ones that havent have been stuck with a troubled ecosystem and conflicting messages from corporate HQ
    Crackberry withdrawal: BlackBerry's collapse leaves users struggling to switch | The Verge
    10-09-13 03:56 PM
    Troubled ecosystem as per kevin
    10-09-13 04:23 PM
    Anyone have experience breaking an addition?

Should I just throw my Z10 away now.... or just wait and ween myself off as the platform slowly fades away?
    10-09-13 04:26 PM
    Actually, Kevin didn't say that -- the closing quotation mark precedes that observation by the article's author.

This thread may end badly.
    10-09-13 04:26 PM
    Actually, Kevin didn't say that -- the closing quotation mark precedes that observation by the article's author.

This thread may end badly.
    My mistake. Thanks
    10-09-13 04:32 PM
    I want to hear more from Kevin about the guy in the elevator who owns twenty 8700s. Living life on the EDGE, haha, literally.
    10-09-13 04:41 PM
    Kevin has done some really good podcasts lately where he's mentioned a lot about this.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Tapatalk
    amazinglygraceless likes this.
    10-09-13 05:40 PM
    Anyone have experience breaking an addition?

Should I just throw my Z10 away now.... or just wait and ween myself off as the platform slowly fades away?
    I'm breaking my addiction now. Bought an iPhone 5S and am keeping my Q10 around for BBM. When BBM4ALL finally launches, I'll go cold turkey and just go with my iPhone 5S. So far, I'm using the 5S for everything except for BBM and so far, so good.
    10-09-13 08:11 PM
    I'll be using my Z10 for the next couple years. I love this device. I don't have a need for another.

Posted via CB10
    10-09-13 08:17 PM

Posted by twiddling my thumbs on my Qued10 in CB10
    10-09-13 11:05 PM
    Might go new nexus when it drops here soon. Or just use my Z10 till it blows up. I wish I had a q10, I should have waited. But now can't justify buying another blackberry on top of the Z10. I've lowballed a few people on craigslist for q10s but no luck for under 200$ yet lol

Posted via CB10
    10-09-13 11:20 PM
    But how badly you wanted this to be true!
    10-09-13 11:27 PM
    Can someone find these folks better stock images or at least ones from this decade
    Attached Thumbnails [article] CrackBerry withdrawal: BlackBerry's collapse leaves users struggling to switch-bb.png  
    10-09-13 11:32 PM
    It is true.
    10-09-13 11:38 PM
    Can someone find these folks better stock images or at least ones from this decade
    Lol they have current images, they are just dicks and decided to go with pictures of the old phones. Have to keep up the look that BlackBerry don't have anything new.

Posted via CB10
    itsyaboy likes this.
    10-09-13 11:44 PM
    I have a suspicion the picture of a battered BB was a deliberate choice to represent the battered company.

Just saying.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk now Free
    10-10-13 12:02 AM
    I have a suspicion the picture of a battered BB was a deliberate choice to represent the battered company.

Just saying.

I thought it was because the addiction is mainly to bb07 not bb10 and that is part of the problem.
    bobauckland likes this.
    10-10-13 01:51 AM

Just saying.

Hmm.....nice interpretation! Not sure if it's correct....should have beaten it up even more for that! lol
    10-10-13 04:11 AM
    Yeah turns out Kevin Didn't say it. BlackBerry "fans" can rejoice and have a minute to breathe. The ecosystem is just fine.
    richardat and techvisor like this.
    10-10-13 05:12 AM
    Well, regardless of who said it, it is undeniably true. Unless one is a pathological denier of fact.
    10-10-13 06:55 AM
    Showing an old, battered 8300 underscores one of the main points in the article, that being that a number of BB fanatics have simply held onto older legacy devices because, in the famous words of [insert random name of CB member here], "it does what I want it to -- make phone calls and send and receive texts and email."

Who here doesn't know someone who's still rocking an older legacy device? My stepmother still rocks an 8830 for the very reasons given above and in the article. And it looks just as battered as the 8300 in the photo.

It could have been worse -- they could have showed the 8700 that the guy Kevin met in the elevator uses. That has a scroll wheel as well as the interim keyboard between the original ovals and the modern, slanted chiclet one that's more or less in use today.

[article] CrackBerry withdrawal: BlackBerry's collapse leaves users struggling to switch-t2ec16jhjhwe9n8igtftbrji60enpg-60_12.jpg
    10-10-13 07:10 AM
    The other day I was in our IT dept and they were cracking jokes about an older salesman who is notoriously bad about calling them about dumb stuff. They mentioned he "still had a BlackBerry" which is what caused me to pay attention to the conversation. They mentioned they offered him an iphone like the rest of the company uses and he said he preferred to stick with his BlackBerry because it's what he knows. They actually kind of seemed relieved in hindsight because they didn't think he'd be able to pull off learning an iphone. Lol.
    10-10-13 10:22 AM
    Sadly that phone is only 5 years old I believe, and probably still what a lot of business users associate with the name BlackBerry!
    10-10-13 02:48 PM
    Sadly that phone is only 5 years old I believe, and probably still what a lot of business users associate with the name BlackBerry!

That phone, in hot sexy fiery red, was my introduction to personal BlackBerries. I should fire it up again....I still have it. It's my first love. It was also the first BlackBerry I bought my mother.
    10-10-13 02:53 PM
    Actually, the 8300 is well over six years old, but who's counting. That's over 36 in car years, though.

I got the 8800 not long before the nicer looking 8300 came out. I remember one of my office neighbors lording it over me with his beautiful new Curve. I returned the favor when I was the first to pick up the original (and best!) Bold.
    10-10-13 09:44 PM