01-31-18 11:53 PM
    Sounds to me like both the new units might not launch in the USA. The market growth is everywhere else but here. I get it from a business perspective, but I would love to get a Blackberry in 2018.
    Last edited by Griffin2012; 02-01-18 at 12:38 AM. Reason: Typoo
    Qorax likes this.
    02-01-18 12:37 AM
    Sounds to me like both the new units might not launch in the USA. The market growth is everywhere else but here. I get it from a business perspective, but I would love to get a Blackberry in 2018.
    It is hard for there to be nuch growth here in the US when the phones are not available or hard to come by. Now the Motion has been made available for online orders. The less spec'd out silver KEYone is available online and the space black KEYone is available from AT&T( which is also the same specs as the silver KEYone). the silver one is also available from Sprint. The Silver KEYone is classy looking but I believe there are many who would have liked to have had the better spec'd Black or Bronze ones.
    I hope we get the new 2018 phones coming our way in the US (Hello TCL!). People take notice of my Silver KEYone but most people still don't realize there are still BlackBerry phones being made when they see mine and I tell them about it. When I show them the cool features, they are impressed. Some want to go out and get a KEYone but it is hard to just buy from an online store. Some would probably like to have the better spec'd one, in which case they would have to import it. Hopefully this will change.
    Qorax likes this.
    02-01-18 05:07 AM
    I agree. I was holding out for the better version( more memory/ more ram) in the US. I waited, passing on the AT&T version in the hopes of the higher spec all black version. Now I am waiting to see what they are releasing later this year. Hopefully, we here something about availability soon?
    02-01-18 05:51 AM
    Yeah they sorta ruled out the Bronze with the higher specs coming to the US too.

Availability soon? Sorry but even if they announce something in MWC in two months, it will be another two or three months before they would bring it to the US (based on the KEYone and Motion releases). But with the Motion still early in it's "launch"... I would not expect a MWC devcie to see the light of day in any market for a few months. Proable looking middle to late summer.... for US release.

Have to face facts, US Carriers don't seem to be interested in BBMo. US consumers wrote off BlackBerry years ago. And in general US consumers only buy outside of their providers if it's a super cheap phone.... can look at Amazon top sellers in Smartphone. And the US market is HUGE, and very costly to deal with. It's just not a market that BBMo can succeed with, without spending a lot of resources - that right now they don't have. Simply better to focus on those smaller markets where they have found some limited success. And hope that enterprise will be serviced well enough by direct sales.
    hplovecraft likes this.
    02-02-18 09:27 AM
    Complicating matters is that if anyone gets better specs in the USA, it would have to be through existing carrier relationships. BBMo/TCL doesn't want to damage the fragile carriers relationships they've just started to rebuild.
    02-02-18 12:43 PM
    Until BBMo/TCL hires a marketing firm/damage control wizard to take away the toxicity of the BlackBerry name you can forget about sales in the USA. Pure and simple. They may as well abandon that market. IMHO.
    02-02-18 01:02 PM
    Until BBMo/TCL hires a marketing firm/damage control wizard to take away the toxicity of the BlackBerry name you can forget about sales in the USA. Pure and simple. They may as well abandon that market. IMHO.
    Pure and simple, TCL isn't who we taught they were and they didn't have the resources to do what most here expected. It wasn't about building the brand, it was about using it....
    CrackPriv and pdr733 like this.
    02-02-18 02:27 PM
    Pure and simple, TCL isn't who we taught they were and they didn't have the resources to do what most here expected. It wasn't about building the brand, it was about using it....
    I agree with you that for TCL it is about using the brand...nothing bad with that. Out of using maybe building can emerge.

I also agree that the American market is just to costly to get a big foothold in. Look at Huawei this huge cell phone brand, selling tons in Asia and Europe (I see them here in Germany everywhere). Even they do struggle to make the appropriate deals with american mobile carriers.

I myself have never bought a phone through a carrier contract.

CB10 on my Classic
    02-02-18 06:47 PM
    I agree with you that for TCL it is about using the brand...nothing bad with that. Out of using maybe building can emerge.

I also agree that the American market is just to costly to get a big foothold in. Look at Huawei this huge cell phone brand, selling tons in Asia and Europe (I see them here in Germany everywhere). Even they do struggle to make the appropriate deals with american mobile carriers.

I myself have never bought a phone through a carrier contract.

CB10 on my Classic
    In NA, especially USA, it's the opposite. Without carriers, you will not achieve meaningful sales levels.
    02-02-18 06:56 PM
    In NA, especially USA, it's the opposite. Without carriers, you will not achieve meaningful sales levels.
    It’s a bit off topic, but what would interest me if it is really cheaper in the American market to get the phone via carrier. I mean the sum of extra contract payment vs buying the phone outright.
    02-03-18 04:49 AM
    It’s a bit off topic, but what would interest me if it is really cheaper in the American market to get the phone via carrier. I mean the sum of extra contract payment vs buying the phone outright.
    In USA, buying from carrier just means you can buy device at full price and pay over monthly payments. The old subsidized contracts have been phased out for the most part. You can pay off the phone and it will be carrier unlocked and then you close account.
    02-03-18 06:38 AM
    In USA, buying from carrier just means you can buy device at full price and pay over monthly payments. The old subsidized contracts have been phased out for the most part. You can pay off the phone and it will be carrier unlocked and then you close account.
    Thanks

So quite similar like here in Germany. You are actually not saving money. I imagine that in the USA most people just see it as a part of their normal phone bill.
    02-03-18 07:20 AM
    It also seems like they may be done with CDMA which is not good for many of us in the US.
    02-03-18 09:26 AM
    It also seems like they may be done with CDMA which is not good for many of us in the US.
    At least until they can gain some traction with USA carriers. If AT&T picks up the next PKB, Verizon probably does a similar type strategy of carrying PKB device. I don't see a BB VKB market right now.
    02-03-18 10:08 AM
    Thanks

So quite similar like here in Germany. You are actually not saving money. I imagine that in the USA most people just see it as a part of their normal phone bill.
    Not always...

For Enterprise, the old subsidy program is still in effect... which is why I doubt BBMo has a chance here. Our company can order an iPhone 8 PLUS 64GB 2YR = $349.99, making it cheaper than even the BlackBerry Motion.

But then too, Carrier's do offer "specials" for consumers, that you really won't find in other places.
    Bbnivende likes this.
    02-05-18 10:07 AM