07-06-12 11:16 PM
41 12
tools
    i think you misunderstood me. I meant that Microsoft and RIM are behind in terms of the amount of apps. Not in terms of attracting developers. I started the paragraph with saying all the companies are doing a good job. I have no doubt there will be much more apps to come on WP8, seeing as to how it will share a lot of its components with W8. I'm just a bit bumped that my Lumia 800 won't be able to get it. haha. Well, for the greater good.
    After Windows 8, people will stop treating their phone as "a phone".

Long live the Post-PC Era...
    Alex_Hong likes this.
    07-04-12 05:37 PM
    After Windows 8, people will stop treating their phone as "a phone".

Long live the Post-PC Era...
    I'll ditch my PC when a phone has as much computing power as a 12-core Mac Pro.
    07-04-12 05:46 PM
    I'll ditch my PC when a phone has as much computing power as a 12-core Mac Pro.
    Getting closer:

From the 2008 article: BlackBerry vs iPhone:

If a 2007 iPhone is loosely equivalent in terms of computing power to a 2000 PowerBook or 1999 Power Mac, that puts the spread at around seven or eight years. Extrapolate forward, and its therefore not at all unreasonable to think that a 2014 iPhone will pack the computing power of todays MacBook Pro.
    Today's iPhone has a 64GB hard drive and a (sic) 1.0GB Duo Core A5 chip.
    2007 MacBook had a 60 or 80GB hard drive with a 2.0GB Duo Core Intel chip

That puts the spread at 5 years. But don't forget that a MacBook is powering a much larger screen.

It was unthinkable to have this much computing power in your pocket before the iPhone. Now it's just up to the developers to take advantage of it.

As for a 12 core device. Apple is saving that for the iPad.
    07-04-12 07:36 PM
    Err I think that a phone will be unlikely as a standalone device to have more power than a 12 core desktop / laptop.
    But as a device to submit computation jobs to a hpc cluster / cloud. A phone could be loads more powerful.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    07-05-12 01:43 AM
    Err I think that a phone will be unlikely as a standalone device to have more power than a 12 core desktop / laptop.
    But as a device to submit computation jobs to a hpc cluster / cloud. A phone could be loads more powerful.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    Well,it depends where the cloud is. I don't see how to do video editing with clouds.
    07-05-12 02:53 AM
    Possible but I think two things will happen - bb7 sales will fall quicker than expected and Rim will need to throw more money at bb10 for promotions, marketing and carrier tie-ins (based on how much money Microsoft and partners have thrown at wp7 to very limited impact).
    I believe the "worst scenario" took that in consideration, and even the rumored "carrier pressure" to reduce [RIM] fees.
    07-05-12 02:57 AM
    Well I think it's worse than that.
    07-05-12 03:36 AM
    The main thing that doomed RIM was simply arrogance. Blackberry was an iconic device just like the iPhone and it shows yeah I'm all about business, I make the money. But with tech they never evolved and didn't think they needed to evolve.
    Blaze mentioned this in a previous podcast awhile ago. Apple didn't damage the blackberry brand it was Android. Android came in as a legitimate option from the iPhone. Before it was only blackberry with the curves and pearls. After android surged that's when blackberry started drastically losing market share.
    The pace on hardware moved at break neck speed and apple and android were the ones competing to out duel each platform.
    Rim stuck with the same game and with the arrogance to do nothing but think their product was iconic enough to keep giving its users the same phone. What's worst RIM markets themselves as people who do but the own company can't even meet deadlines. What does that say to the tech world?
    07-05-12 03:22 PM
    Lazaridis and ballsilly no longer could focus. When you get so wealthy so fast you lose perspective, and you should step aside. That didn't happen

At least they bought QNX. Those guys rock. And finally they are shedding the new grad java programmers who have no experience in making bad design decisions. They still have defenders for python running on a platform with limited cpu resources and battery life.

it wasn't arrogance. It was a failure of RIM management to recognize that software programming is a learned art that university can't teach to new grads. There is a reason the PEO waits four years to hand out PEO certification. Universities can't teach the nuance of experience. No one noticed internally. If the market didn't hammer the stock they would still have been oblivious.

You need mature talent to meet deadlines. Demanding everyone work 6 days a week should be moot. If you're behind, you just do it on your own. You fight to stop scope creep. You demand formalized specs to stop unfettered changes.

It wasn't arrogance. The company grew and didn't hire outside talent to handle the transition.
    07-05-12 07:18 PM
    There is always room for more players if they can differentiate their platform enough. There is no perfect platform. Android and iOS are both with their own flaws, and it is not enough to cater to the diverse user preferences in the world.
    I am not sure that is true. The world gets by with two desktop operating systems and 90% of the world gets by with one. Apple and Samsung apparantly earn about 90% of the profits in the smartphone market, that suggests that most people are fine with two choices.
    07-05-12 09:25 PM
    Has there ever been a successful company (that most have heard of) that had two people simultaneously serving as CEO?
    07-05-12 10:27 PM
    Has there ever been a successful company (that most have heard of) that had two people simultaneously serving as CEO?
    Ben and Jerry.
    07-05-12 11:17 PM
    Okay. I'll give you Ben and Jerry. Lol. ANY OTHERS?
    07-05-12 11:54 PM
    Okay. I'll give you Ben and Jerry. Lol. ANY OTHERS?
    As an aside, there was an interesting doco some years ago about how Ben and Jerry both realised that they were holding the company back and advertised for a professional CEO. They had a competition for the job. Seems to have worked OK.

They realised they were great at making ice-cream. Not running billion $ companies. There's a lesson there.
    07-06-12 12:09 AM
    As an aside, there was an interesting doco some years ago about how Ben and Jerry both realised that they were holding the company back and advertised for a professional CEO. They had a competition for the job. Seems to have worked OK.

They realised they were great at making ice-cream. Not running billion $ companies. There's a lesson there.
    Jim & Mike could make loads of ice cream with all the money they have
    07-06-12 12:15 AM
    Lazaridis and ballsilly no longer could focus. When you get so wealthy so fast you lose perspective, and you should step aside. That didn't happen

At least they bought QNX. Those guys rock. And finally they are shedding the new grad java programmers who have no experience in making bad design decisions. They still have defenders for python running on a platform with limited cpu resources and battery life.

it wasn't arrogance. It was a failure of RIM management to recognize that software programming is a learned art that university can't teach to new grads. There is a reason the PEO waits four years to hand out PEO certification. Universities can't teach the nuance of experience. No one noticed internally. If the market didn't hammer the stock they would still have been oblivious.

You need mature talent to meet deadlines. Demanding everyone work 6 days a week should be moot. If you're behind, you just do it on your own. You fight to stop scope creep. You demand formalized specs to stop unfettered changes.

It wasn't arrogance. The company grew and didn't hire outside talent to handle the transition.
    Umm where were you when these quotes were said? RIM chiefs Mike Lazaridis and Jim Balsillie's best quotes | Technology | guardian.co.uk

No arrogance you say?? Haha
    07-06-12 11:16 PM
41 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD