In my opinion, Ars Technica has the best tech writing out there. They have published this article in responce to the news that Nokia is going to release a Windows phone that can run Android apps, and they point out that BlackBerry has already gone down this road...

"We've arguably seen this in practice alreadyon BlackBerry 10. BlackBerry 10 supports (some) Android apps, and while it's hard to be certain, it seems that this facility (combined, no doubt, with BlackBerry 10's minuscule market share) has stifled the development of BlackBerry-native applications. There are signs that BlackBerry has largely given up the fight, with the news earlier this week that it has adopted Amazon's Android app store on BlackBerry. This more than doubles the number of apps available for the platform but essentially concedes that developers are unwilling to write native apps for BlackBerry 10."

I would add that making the Amazon App Store available on BB10 was a slap in the face of what few folks were left dev'ing honest-to-gosh BB10 apps, but I understand why they had to do it. I have come to believe it was the only possible reaction to the grim situation they're in app-wise.

Full article available here...
    Android apps on Windows Phone would be an ugly capitulation | Ars Technica

Sent from my iPad using CB Forums
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    07-13-14 03:40 AM
    In my opinion, Ars Technica has the best tech writing out there. They have published this article in responce to the news that Nokia is going to release a Windows phone that can run Android apps, and they point out that BlackBerry has already gone down this road...

"We've arguably seen this in practice already—on BlackBerry 10. BlackBerry 10 supports (some) Android apps, and while it's hard to be certain, it seems that this facility (combined, no doubt, with BlackBerry 10's minuscule market share) has stifled the development of BlackBerry-native applications. There are signs that BlackBerry has largely given up the fight, with the news earlier this week that it has adopted Amazon's Android app store on BlackBerry. This more than doubles the number of apps available for the platform but essentially concedes that developers are unwilling to write native apps for BlackBerry 10."

I would add that making the Amazon App Store available on BB10 was a slap in the face of what few folks were left dev'ing honest-to-gosh BB10 apps, but I understand why they had to do it. I have come to believe it was the only possible reaction to the grim situation they're in app-wise.

Full article available here...
    Android apps on Windows Phone would be an ugly capitulation | Ars Technica

Sent from my iPad using CB Forums
    They are right that "Android apps on Windows Phone would be an ugly capitulation ". So I don't suppose that this will happen. I mean it is BS, repeating and repeating. Another reason is (and why it is a BS) that if MS want finish WP they don't need to build another Android handset.
    07-13-14 05:04 AM
    I think there's confusion between best and biased.

Ars like most mainstream publications are unabashedly biased when it comes to "reporting" on blackberry.

What's ironic is that in doing the only thing realistically possible to get more apps on BB10, the critics now lament that BlackBerry is abandoning native developers.

This writer is a hypocritical tool.

Posted via CB10
    playbookster and LuvULongTime like this.
    07-13-14 01:33 PM
    It is increasingly becoming obvious that the US is a wasteland for BlackBerry. That's not the case in other places in the world where the market share isn't "miniscule". So it strikes me that the Amazon deal is to help with the US, Canada and perhaps a few other markets where Amazon has a presence.

That doesn't mean there is no room for native app development, just that it mostly won't happen in the US and similar markets. That's okay with me as many of the BlackBerry 10 apps I use were not developed in North America.

Posted via CB10
    07-13-14 01:51 PM
    .........edited
    07-13-14 03:18 PM
    In my opinion, Ars Technica has the best tech writing out there.
    I agree with "best" but only as a statement on the deplorable quality of technological reporting on the Web.

Ars is good, especially in their detailed and balanced coverage of Apple's products. For other platforms they are alright, still vastly more competent than the jokers at Gizmodo, Engadget and CNET.

It used to be that proper engineering credentials were necessary to understand and evaluate technology. Nowadays, evaluation of technical merit is compromised in favor of evaluation of usability. Thus, we have a situation in which any hipster with a smartphone fetish can call himself a tech-enthusiast.

[Sorry about the rant. I realize that this has little to do with your post :-)]

Posted via CB10
    randomroyalty likes this.
    07-13-14 03:25 PM
    How's that biased? That BlackBerry's market share is "minuscule" is a fact. Beyond dispute isn't it?

Sent from my iPhone using CB Forums
    I didn't say it was biased just US focused. By numbers and installed base, BlackBerry does better in other places in the world than the US. To assume that the Amazon deal is a blow to all BlackBerry development ignores Amazon's weakness outside the US and BlackBerry's relatively stronger market share outside that country. In other words, the deal is not necessarily a death blow to BlackBerry 10 development. That's all I was saying. US based publications, quite normally, focus on domestic audiences but conclusions made for the US do not necessarily mean they apply globally.

Posted via CB10
    07-13-14 03:29 PM
    I agree with "best" but only as a statement on the deplorable quality of technological reporting on the Web.

Ars is good, especially in their detailed and balanced coverage of Apple's products. For other platforms they are alright, still vastly more competent than the jokers at Gizmodo, Engadget and CNET.

It used to be that proper engineering credentials were necessary to understand and evaluate technology. Nowadays, evaluation of technical merit is compromised in favor of evaluation of usability. Thus, we have a situation in which any hipster with a smartphone fetish can call himself a tech-enthusiast.

[Sorry about the rant. I realize that this has little to do with your post :-)]

Posted via CB10
    I don't know if you're a Mac user, but I actually started reading Ars because of John Siracusa's ridiculously in-depth OS X reviews. He's a web-developer with degrees in CS and Enginnering, and it shows. But I'll grant you those are not typical. And then again, he's a freelancer and not on the Ars payroll.

They actually have some very good science writing there as well.

Sent from my iPhone using CB Forums
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    07-13-14 03:40 PM
    I didn't say it was biased just US focused. By numbers and installed base, BlackBerry does better in other places in the world than the US. To assume that the Amazon deal is a blow to all BlackBerry development ignores Amazon's weakness outside the US and BlackBerry's relatively stronger market share outside that country. In other words, the deal is not necessarily a death blow to BlackBerry 10 development. That's all I was saying. US based publications, quite normally, focus on domestic audiences but conclusions made for the US do not necessarily mean they apply globally.

Posted via CB10
    Overall marketshare of 1.5% last year....
    That's not only the US...
    They HAD some strongholds in emerging markets, but with the recent smartphone boom there, they got the short end of the stick.
    Android was cheaper and faster on the market.
    Google "Micromax India BlackBerry" for example. They alone eroded a huge part of BlackBerry's marketshare in India.

Posted via CB10
    techvisor likes this.
    07-14-14 01:38 AM
    I think there's confusion between best and biased.

Ars like most mainstream publications are unabashedly biased when it comes to "reporting" on blackberry.

What's ironic is that in doing the only thing realistically possible to get more apps on BB10, the critics now lament that BlackBerry is abandoning native developers.

This writer is a hypocritical tool.

Posted via CB10
    I doubt that he is a "hypocritical tool", because he just states what basically everyone is thinking outside of BlackBerry enthusiast forums.

The Amazon deal was a capitulation. It was the acknowledgement of BlackBerry being unable to get nice native apps.
    If they would be able to, then the Amazon deal is unnecessary.
    Therefore there is no doubt of the why BlackBerry did. And in the end, it's probably a necessary move.

But none of those things can distract the attentive reader of what it means for the BB10 native ecosystem.
    It means that it's dead, in "The West".
    And if the author wouldn't list this as an obvious negative point, then I think that the article would have been pretty worthless.
    Because this is obviously the biggest disadvantage, of including app compatibility into your OS.

Posted via CB10
    JeepBB, mornhavon and techvisor like this.
    07-14-14 01:47 AM
    In my opinion, Ars Technica has the best tech writing out there.
    07-14-14 01:02 PM
    I doubt that he is a "hypocritical tool", because he just states what basically everyone is thinking outside of BlackBerry enthusiast forums.

The Amazon deal was a capitulation. It was the acknowledgement of BlackBerry being unable to get nice native apps.
    If they would be able to, then the Amazon deal is unnecessary.
    Therefore there is no doubt of the why BlackBerry did. And in the end, it's probably a necessary move.

But none of those things can distract the attentive reader of what it means for the BB10 native ecosystem.
    It means that it's dead, in "The West".
    And if the author wouldn't list this as an obvious negative point, then I think that the article would have been pretty worthless.
    Because this is obviously the biggest disadvantage, of including app compatibility into your OS.

Posted via CB10
    Don't disagree with any of the above. What I take issue with is this asinine idea that the Amazon partnership killed native app development. Native development was DOA from the moment BB10 hit the market. They needed to do something. The Amazon partnership is not perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but it's a step in the right direction. Let's think of two scenarios in more simplistic terms:

Scenario #1 - Status quo. No deal with Amazon - Reviewer from tech site receives a BB Passport to review and instantly laments the lack of apps, specifically netflix, instagram, yada yada. Says the OS is responsive and snappy and the design is different. The hub allows for productivity, etc. But man oh man, it is missing a lot of apps! Consumer reads review/watches video and stays away from BB due to lack of apps.

Scenario #2 - Amazon deal is in place - Reviewer from tech site receives a BB Passport to review and comments positively that the phone has many major apps available (Netflix, Instagram, yada yada) and that they work quite well on the device. They even integrate with the hub! Some apps are missing from Amazon but the major ones are there which will satisfy most users. Reviewer then goes on to talk about the hub, miricast, USG OTG, capacitative keyboard, and all the other goodies of the device. Ends review by saying the phone is a strong offering from BB. It doesn't have as mature an ecosystem as apple, or the best of breed services offered by Google, but overall not a bad device for someone that values communications first with apps and services second. Consumer reads review/watches video and gives BB a second thought (at the very least). And there are a lot of former BB owners out there that loved their BB's in the glory days. They know what BB is all about and are not looking at them like some obscure startup.

See the difference between the above two? So much of everything is about optics, and the Amazon deal creates positive optics for BB.
    Last edited by LuvULongTime; 07-15-14 at 10:52 PM.
    sati01 likes this.
    07-15-14 12:11 PM