02-08-15 07:45 PM
61 123
tools
    Wrong again Birdman. Nothing BlackBerry does is well received by any community.
    Almost everything BlackBerry does is well received until they neglect it to the point where it's near dead.
    01-27-15 09:29 PM
    The hash doesn't hold or contain the fingerprint model. It's a mathematical algorithm that can only be solved by data generated from scanning the fingerprint. Without the actual fingerprint, the hash is completely useless. Similar to RSA encryption key pairs. The public key can encrypt the data (the hash), but you can't decrypt the encrypted data without the secret key (data generated from scanning the actual fingerprint).
    Unless there is a backdoor or loophole... 8-o

  Telstra + Classic, Optus + PP, AT&T + PP , Verizon + Classic... why the mix, Mr. Fix?  
    02-05-15 11:43 PM
    If Apple is going to properly store hashes in the cloud, then people are needlessly worried. Hashes extracted from the fingerprint are, for all practical purposes, non-invertible. They are one-way functions.

This technology is a version of biometric template protection, which is the future of secure and private biometric recognition systems. Essentially, it allows user authentication without actually revealing the biometric (e.g., fingerprint, iris, etc.) to potential adversaries.

So, Apple seems to be doing it right, in this case.

Q10/10.3.1.821
    mornhavon likes this.
    02-06-15 12:21 AM
    Absolutely you can get an image out of it. Anyone who thinks otherwise is a fool.

Posted via CB10
    02-06-15 07:17 PM
    Absolutely you can get an image out of it. Anyone who thinks otherwise is a fool.

Posted via CB10
    Please state your technically plausible scenario so the fools can respond.
    JeepBB, jmr1015, mornhavon and 1 others like this.
    02-06-15 07:47 PM

Posted via CB10
    No, you can't. But hey, if you think it's possible, present a working method and you'll make gazillions of dollars as you'd be the first to accomplish what the best minds haven't been able to do.
    jmr1015 likes this.
    02-06-15 08:04 PM
    OK. My hash algorithm is extremely simple - it's an unencoded image of the entire fingerprint except for the very center. Once stored it can be used to keep out anyone that doesn't have my print.

Now please tell me how an image of my full fingerprint can be generated from the hash.
    02-06-15 08:30 PM
    OK. My hash algorithm is extremely simple - it's an unencoded image of the entire fingerprint except for the very center. Once stored it can be used to keep out anyone that doesn't have my print.

Now please tell me how an image of my full fingerprint can be generated from the hash.
    It doesn't have to, most fingerprint matching doesn't even rely on the majority of your fingerprint pattern.

However the technology being discussed in this thread is old and is actually referred to as: cancellable biometrics.

The idea is not to use your actual biometric, but to derive feature values from it, then use those feature values as input into whatever hashing algorithm to derive something akin to a very long password.

There are so many opportunities for obfuscation, including which areas of a biometric pattern are sampled? You can hash which areas of a pattern to sample based on a user id. Are they sampled in a frequency domain transform? Do we run a wavelet transform, dump levels 1,5,7 then use the top 7 coefficients of the remaining 10 levels to run through a number hashing engine? Or... do we take the image, split it into a grid, rearrange the grid, grab a few squares of the grid, perform lossless (non-reversible) compression on the rearranged subsampled grid, then extract DCT components from the compressed image, hash those against your userid.

You can keep going and going and going and going. Yes, with infinite time you may recover some numbers that might tell you something about the biometric pattern,.. but you will not be able to recover all the features of the entire pattern necessary to recreate it enough to do anything.

Posted via CB10
    clickitykeys, JeepBB and mornhavon like this.
    02-06-15 09:25 PM
    However the technology being discussed in this thread is old and is actually referred to as: cancellable biometrics.
    Yep. Cancelable biometrics was amongst the first ways of implementing biometric template protection. It was pioneered by IBM initially, in the late 1990s and early 2000s. Later, more advanced algorithms came about based on error correcting codes and encrypted-domain computation.

Q10/10.3.1.821
    02-06-15 10:30 PM
    THIS is why I LOVE Crackberry!!!

Threads with titles like "Apple wants your fingerprints!"

You can't find stuff this good anywhere but here.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    02-06-15 11:01 PM
    THIS is why I LOVE Crackberry!!!

Threads with titles like "Apple wants your fingerprints!"

You can't find stuff this good anywhere but here.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    LOL, that's so true... :-)

  Telstra + Classic, Optus + PP, AT&T + PP , Verizon + Classic... why the mix, Mr. Fix?  
    02-08-15 07:45 PM
61 123