05-07-14 08:40 AM
26 12
tools
    Just an FYI.

Apple and Samsung announce recall notices on selected phones - Digital Life - Digital Life | siliconrepublic.com - Ireland's Technology News Service

Both Apple and Samsung have announced, in separate statements, they will be recalling some of their handsets over security and hardware issues that exist in some models of their most popular phones.

The phones in question are Apple?s iPhone 5 which reportedly has seen a number of its models shipped with a malfunctioning sleep/wake button, while Samsung?s latest flagship phone, the Galaxy S5, has been found to have included a non-functioning camera in a limited number of models.

Both Apple and Samsung have now issued statements detailing how customers affected by the faults can send their phone back for repair or replacement.

Apple

Apple have detailed all the requirements for eligibility for a replacement and are asking for iPhone 5 users to enter their phone?s serial number on the dedicated website.

The company have said that only a ?small percetnage? of phones are affected by the sleep/wake button issue and promised customers that the replacement will be free of charge.

Irish customers who have found their device to be faulty will have to wait until 2 May as this marks the start of Apple?s international re-call programme.

Samsung

Similarly to Apple, Samsung have issued a statement saying: "We have discovered that the issue has been seen in a very limited portion of early production Galaxy S5 units, and was caused by complications in the Read Only Memory component which stores the information necessary to operate the camera."

For those finding the warning message appearing should contact Samsung's customer service or their mobile operator to get the phone replaced.
    -------------------------------------------------------------

All that money and they still can't get it right....pretty pathetic. I wonder if they are doing anything special for damage control?

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Elite1; 04-29-14 at 06:24 AM. Reason: Wrapped quote in [QUOTE] tags
    04-29-14 06:19 AM
    Thanks for the article. I guess mistakes happen everywhere, huh? nice to see I'm not the only one who makes em.
    FrankIAm and bbq10l like this.
    04-29-14 07:05 AM
    Apple uses Samsung products, Samsung copies Apple...

I really think those two companies are cohorts.

Sent from the Berry using Tapatalk.
    04-29-14 08:07 AM
    Still holding my STORM thinking that at some point BlackBerry will admit their design flaw and recall it....
    04-29-14 11:57 AM
    Still holding my STORM thinking that at some point BlackBerry will admit their design flaw and recall it....
    Oh jeez

The GIF Exchange C001B7B16?
    anon(2313227) and Bluenoser63 like this.
    04-29-14 01:55 PM
    Just an FYI.

Apple and Samsung announce recall notices on selected phones - Digital Life - Digital Life | siliconrepublic.com - Ireland's Technology News Service

-------------------------------------------------------------

All that money and they still can't get it right....pretty pathetic. I wonder if they are doing anything special for damage control?

Posted via CB10
    They already have their quality control procedures and tests as do their parts suppliers. But some things can slip by. If you make the testing more rigorous you increase the cost and have to raise the price of the product. So obviously there are compromises and no doubt ongoing work to improve procedures. Recalls cost money and reputation Recalls should be made quickly if systematic problems are found. At least with the phones the chance of dying because of the defect would seem to be low.
    04-29-14 11:38 PM
    Most likely due to the fact that problems have more chance to show up when you have a lot of products in use. What do you think happened to Toyota?

Posted via CB10 on my Z30
    JeepBB and bbq10l like this.
    04-29-14 11:46 PM
    Haha seriously....lets be real here. when u selling nearly 10x the amount of phones BlackBerry does in a quarter, problems are bound to arise. Let's not forget about rebooting issues people had with their Z10's

Posted via CB10
    Admorris likes this.
    04-30-14 12:29 PM
    Yup, recalls happen. My only question is why this took so long for Apple to recall...the iPhone 5 has been out for quite awhile.

Posted via CB10
    04-30-14 12:56 PM
    Welcome to Foxconn!

The world's leading example of over worked and under paid people making high tech devices...

Posted via CB10 on my BlackBerry Z10!
    04-30-14 02:05 PM
    It is without saying very frustrating to get a faulty device, but it does happen. I don't know of any of these manufacturers exempt form defects. This includes BlackBerry. It is nice to see when a manufacturer remedies the situation though.
    04-30-14 02:19 PM
    Because it ISN'T A RECALL for either company. Try repair program for phones actually exhibiting the problem, not for all phones containing the affected components..
    JeepBB and Poirots Progeny like this.
    04-30-14 03:09 PM
    Because it ISN'T A RECALL for either company. Try repair program for phones actually exhibiting the problem, not for all phones containing the affected components..
    No? It is if your serial number is in the list.

Posted via CB10
    CerveloJohn likes this.
    04-30-14 04:08 PM
    No? It is if your serial number is in the list.

Posted via CB10
    Rereading apple site, only if affected. So I think you're right about it being a normal repair, not recall.

Posted via CB10
    04-30-14 04:51 PM
    My only question is why this took so long for Apple to recall...the iPhone 5 has been out for quite awhile.
    Most likely because it was a more recent batch that needs to be recalled. They're not recalling the entire line.
    JeepBB likes this.
    04-30-14 07:18 PM
    Most likely because it was a more recent batch that needs to be recalled. They're not recalling the entire line.
    Hmm, my friend who bought his 5 about 11 months ago has had two replaced phones so far for this issue..both under warranty.

Posted via CB10
    04-30-14 09:03 PM
    It's only a small batch of devices and compared to how many millions they have produced with zero issues, it's not even worth taking about.

The Apple and Samsung users will get their device repaired or exchanged in a timely and efficient manner and they won't miss a beat. I wish Blackberry's customer service and warranty repair was a good as the big two are.

Sent from my z30 on T Mobile USA (10.2.1.2160)
    JeepBB likes this.
    05-01-14 04:08 AM
    This ain't really a news. All manufacturers sometimes have defects. Cars, toys, electronics.. etc..
    Now, if Apple and Samsung drives themselves to the ground because of back and forth dumb lawsuits. Or maybe if they join together or something. That's a news. Lol.
    However, if this happens to BlackBerry, the media will be all over it. Funny how that works.

Sent from the best touch keyboard, the Z.
    05-01-14 06:15 PM
    It's only a small batch of devices and compared to how many millions they have produced with zero issues, it's not even worth taking about.

The Apple and Samsung users will get their device repaired or exchanged in a timely and efficient manner and they won't miss a beat. I wish Blackberry's customer service and warranty repair was a good as the big two are.

Sent from my z30 on T Mobile USA (10.2.1.2160)
    BB would charge you $50 and make you go through your carrier.
    05-02-14 02:26 PM
    Design flaw? What design flaw?