10-31-14 08:02 PM
219 ... 23456 ...
tools
    Already happens in Canada and the EU. American's card can and are being refused by merchants who don't want to take the risk and be liable for fraud since the US card doesn't support EMV chip and pin.
    ????? I live and work in both Canada and the U.S. and I have never seen a merchant in any Canadian Province (i.e.: BC, ON, QB, SK, AB) that refused to accept my business, or gave me any issues about having to slide my card.

In fact my CAD Amex Business Card, which has a chip, doesn't work when using the chip. They have to use the magnetic strip - all the different merchants who accept Amex know this and have pointed it out to me so its not a defective card.
    sentimentGX4 likes this.
    09-18-14 11:47 AM
    ????? I live and work in both Canada and the U.S. and I have never seen a merchant in any Canadian Province (i.e.: BC, ON, QB, SK, AB) that refused to accept my business, or gave me any issues about having to slide my card.

In fact my CAD Amex Business Card, which has a chip, doesn't work when using the chip. They have to use the magnetic strip - all the different merchants who accept Amex know this and have pointed it out to me so its not a defective card.
    Wait for it.. The liability shift is just about here. It already happened in the EU. It is dependent on the merchant discretion if they want to accept the risk or not. When the full liability happens, you may find more of an issue..
    app_Developer likes this.
    09-18-14 12:13 PM
    I'm not sure what you are saying. Apple Pay will be available in other countries and is not impeded in any way by "the way EMV is implemented". What do you mean by that?

The Canadian banks would want to support their iPhone users and encourage their iPhone users to use this feature for all the same reasons that we American banks are.
    When will Apple pay be functional in Canada and the EU? The difference is because the banks don't have to give Apple any cut of the transaction. They don't give Blackberry or Google a cut when they process a transaction using those devices. So why would they change for Apple? They could tell Apple to pound sand.
    09-18-14 12:17 PM
    One thing I find interesting in all this: Apple was derided from the other platforms for being "late to the NFC party". Looking at the size of this network though, it leads me to believe that they probably started work on NFC at the same time as everyone else, but invested heavily in the network to support it.

It's sorta like iPod iTunes all over again. Not the first MP3 player, nor the first music store, but an easy way to get a lot of good quality music in one spot at an accessible price. The ecosystem was probably as much or work as the tech to support it.
    Eumaeus, Wwhite1036 and JeepBB like this.
    09-18-14 12:21 PM
    Sorry but comparing Canada with a total population that is less than the State of California is a Joke. Love Canada comparing the two is ridiculous.
    WOW. Did you not see the context to the response? Responding to the comment that Apple Pay using NFC is totally new and never been done before. LOL NFC payment has been done in EU and Japan for a long time. Want to consider that a joke too?
    09-18-14 12:21 PM
    Was this a quote you read somewhere or did you actually post this thread here at CrackBerry just to smash on BlackBerry? I'm not understanding this thread at all. Blackberry and android have had NFC for a few years now. Apple is just finally catching-up and people should stop buying BlackBerry stock now because of this? Really?
    The nerve of some people.
    From Kofi, a total anti-BBRY nutjob who posts at SA.
    09-18-14 12:42 PM
    BBM Money is still limited right now. But, for those who have it, they can send money and free phone minutes to their friends who also have BBM, regardless of phone.

BBM Money also can be used to purchase things from retailers and the like.

Apple Pay will give more exposure to using a phone for payment. Apple still has security issues built into the OS. Another large unintended movement of data through iCloud and it will be hard for people to store anything more sensitive than selfies on their phones.

Posted from my Z30 using CB10
    09-18-14 01:04 PM
    Not sure why it would hurt Blackberry any more than the iPhone already has since 2007.
    JeepBB likes this.
    09-18-14 01:33 PM
    LOL this is funny !
    09-18-14 01:37 PM
    When will Apple pay be functional in Canada and the EU? The difference is because the banks don't have to give Apple any cut of the transaction. They don't give Blackberry or Google a cut when they process a transaction using those devices. So why would they change for Apple? They could tell Apple to pound sand.
    It's launching the US first, but it is definitely heading worldwide soon.

Every bank pays Google something far more valuable than money, we pay with the transaction stream. Apple is a much cheaper date.
    JeepBB likes this.
    09-18-14 01:51 PM
    It's launching the US first, but it is definitely heading worldwide soon.

Every bank pays Google something far more valuable than money, we pay with the transaction stream. Apple is a much cheaper date.
    We shall see. Banks in Canada don't pay Google anything.
    09-18-14 02:43 PM
    We shall see. Banks in Canada don't pay Google anything.
    They give Google their transaction data. That's what i meant. All transactions are visible to Google. That's how their system works.

Most banks would much rather pay Apple a small amount and keep that data instead. This is why banks, especially the large international banks, are so excited about Apple Pay.
    JeepBB likes this.
    09-18-14 02:46 PM
    They give Google their transaction data. That's what i meant. All transactions are visible to Google. That's how their system works.

Most banks would much rather pay Apple a small amount and keep that data instead. This is why banks, especially the large international banks, are so excited about Apple Pay.
    Doesn't happen in Canada.
    09-18-14 02:51 PM
    Aww! I just knew this...
    09-18-14 02:58 PM
    Doesn't happen in Canada.
    How that possibly be true? Google uses a ghost card. How is it they can see the transaction stream in every other country in the world, but not Canada?

How is that even possible technically?
    mornhavon and JeepBB like this.
    09-18-14 02:59 PM

I think Banks like money more, they see this as another available revenue stream, but when that revenue stream doesn't work out in a favorable way for the Bank (any) they will cut the relationship (Apple is no different then any other stream). I was in Chase today, low and behold on their screens was an ad for Chase Apple Pay. All about the Benjamins

If Apple indeed locks out Banking Apps from using the NFC hardware, this will end badly for them. There will be people that enjoy there Apple devices, but still want to do things there own way. Now if all apps have access to the NFC hardware, Apple Pay is more of nice to have feature and your allowing your customers freedom to choose there own banking app vs forcing.
    09-18-14 03:00 PM
    How that possibly be true? Google uses a ghost card. How is it they can see the transaction stream in every other country in the world, but not Canada?

How is that even possible technically?
    The banking system in Canada. The banks control all data flow and VISA has nothing to do with it. Google isn't involved and Canada has privacy rules that would prevent the banks from sharing the data with google.
    09-18-14 03:03 PM
    I think Banks like money more, they see this as another available revenue stream, but when that revenue stream doesn't work out in a favorable way for the Bank (any) they will cut the relationship (Apple is no different then any other stream). I was in Chase today, low and behold on their screens was an ad for Chase Apple Pay.
    The data is worth considerably more than what Apple is actually charging. It's really not even close. Remember banks use that data to control deals and advertising.

If Apple indeed locks out Banking Apps from using the NFC hardware, this will end badly for them. There will be people that enjoy there Apple devices, but still want to do things there own way. Now if all apps have access to the NFC hardware, Apple Pay is more of nice to have feature and your allowing your customers freedom to choose there own banking app vs forcing.
    Banks will not have access to the NFC hardware directly. There's very little point to that, since it would bypass all of the other parts of Apple Pay that banks actually do like.
    JeepBB likes this.
    09-18-14 03:04 PM
    The banking system in Canada. The banks control all data flow and VISA has nothing to do with it. Google isn't involved and Canada has privacy rules that would prevent the banks from sharing the data with google.
    It's not Visa. Seriously, we have customers in Canada. If our customers make a transaction on Wallet, it goes through the ghost card. With all due respect, privacy rules are not the issue here. Google sees the data before we do.

In fact, Google sees the data before they even could know it's a Canadian bank's bin.
    Last edited by app_Developer; 09-18-14 at 03:17 PM.
    JeepBB and mornhavon like this.
    09-18-14 03:06 PM
    I think Banks like money more, they see this as another available revenue stream, but when that revenue stream doesn't work out in a favorable way for the Bank (any) they will cut the relationship (Apple is no different then any other stream).
    However, if this:
    1. Replaces a lot of cash transactions with ones that make banks money.
    2. Reduces some of the enormous credit card fraud costs that banks currently absorb
    3. Reduces the need for cash-enabling services like ATMs that banks must pay for.
    4. Squeeze out smaller non-participating banking competition.

the big banks will make more money. I have a feeling they know what they are doing and have thought this out very well. This is their territory and they aren't about to Blackberry their business to Apple or any other tech company.
    JeepBB and tempdownloads like this.
    09-18-14 03:08 PM
    This works fine as long as people from the US don't go to Canada and people from Canada don't come to the US. Ever see any iPhone-toting US Americans up there? Do they ever buy anything?
    I hate it when those American visitors aren't wearing flags! How are we supposed to know who is Canadian and who is American?

Posted via CB10
    JeepBB likes this.
    09-18-14 03:16 PM
    It's not Visa. Seriously, we have customers in Canada. If our customers make a transaction on Wallet, it goes through the ghost card. With all due respect, privacy rules are not the issue here. Google sees the data before we do.
    You don't know as much as you think. Google Wallet is not in Canada. Can't be used. Like I said before, Apple Pay might only be available in the US. Google Wallet is a US system only. So that transaction stream in the rest of the world you talked about doesn't exist. All you have to do is go to

FAQ ? Google Wallet

And check out what counties that Google Wallet is in. Just one. The US. Do people no check anything before they post? Apple Pay will be like Google Wallet and only be available in the US because as I said, banking rules and systems in other countries will not allow this type of system without major changes to the rules.

The banks in Canada have their own apps and don't need to give a single penny to Apple to process NFC transactions. They just won't support it unless Apple pays them.
    northernrds likes this.
    09-18-14 03:19 PM
    You don't know as much as you think. Google Wallet is not in Canada. Can't be used. Like I said before, Apple Pay might only be available in the US. Google Wallet is a US system only. So that transaction stream in the rest of the world you talked about doesn't exist. All you have to do is go to

FAQ ? Google Wallet

And check out what counties that Google Wallet is in. Just one. The US. Do people no check anything before they post? Apple Pay will be like Google Wallet and only be available in the US because as I said, banking rules and systems in other countries will not allow this type of system without major changes to the rules.

The banks in Canada have their own apps and don't need to give a single penny to Apple to process NFC transactions. They just won't support it unless Apple pays them.
    Wallet is both a tap to pay and online system. It works around the world online. Apple Pay is also both tap and online.

In all cases, it works through exactly the same ghost card mechanism. We have customers around the world using Google Wallet with our credit and debit cards.
    JeepBB likes this.
    09-18-14 03:23 PM
    Wallet is both a tap to pay and online system. It works around the world online. Apple Pay is also both tap and online.

In all cases, it works through exactly the same ghost card mechanism. We have customers around the world using Google Wallet with our credit and debit cards.
    It only works for US customers. SO it can track the purchases by American's only. It cannot be downloaded in Canada or the rest of the world. Are you disputing what Google says about Google Wallet?
    09-18-14 03:36 PM
    i can't imagine the "i-NFC" not being hacked.
    Just think of how many hackers are looking into Apple's devices and now they would have access to a direct payment tool...
    i think they'll have a lot of fun in the coming months.
    09-18-14 03:46 PM
219 ... 23456 ...