10-31-14 09:02 PM
219 1234 ...
tools
    Are these corporate cards issued by large banks like these?
    Generally, yes, but not everyone is supporting their corporate cards at first. Each of the issuers have many different types of credit and debit cards, and not 100% of them are supported at first.

As far as I know, all of the consumer oriented cards are (both credit and debit cards), but only some of the business and corporate issue cards. Consumers are definitely the priority at first. ( All American Express cards are supported.)
    09-17-14 09:52 PM
    Apple Pay will probably go like gangbusters... not because it is technologically suprerior...it is a matter of numbers....simply because it is an Apple service offered to tens of millions of users... uers do not care about how it works.. whether it is better than aything else... that is what Ad dept are for.... they know it is an Apple service and many will use it as it is offered... the only fly in the ointment may be how much they charge... people forget this is a pay service... much will depend on what the service fees are... have not seen anything official on rates but a number of outlet have reported it will be .015 percent... that would be 1.50 per hundred dollar.... add in many finacial instituations will probably add in a backend charge... could get pricey.... Living in Canada I use Paypass which is a payment method using credit card you simpy wave over the scanner and away you go.. hmm...... starting to see it for interact payment as well... so for me no amount of techno babble would have me change a very easy way to shop.... no motivation to do so.... As it s unclear what financial investment BB actually has in this field I am unsure why this would affect them... It is not like the are generating a ton of revenue from it and Apple is horning in on their territory....
    09-17-14 10:43 PM
    As all of us in Canada have been seeing, the banks here are now starting to support all the big carriers because it's simpler to do. The updated apps by CIBC and TD now support all major carriers. Rather than each bank having to deal with each individual carrier, the banks deal with just Enstream, the NFC platform for all carriers used to provision the NFC securely through BlackBerry, even to non-BlackBerry devices.

As to why the banks are choosing to go this route through the carriers is unknown to me. I'm sure they could bypass the carriers and do what Tim Hortons has done with their NFC app. Banks are in the business of taking your money, not giving it away to carriers or Apple. Maybe someone with knowledge about this can inform us.

And let's not forget about the potential of BBM Money. BlackBerry has been playing with this for a while now and has been often discussed with BlackBerry's new management.
    09-17-14 10:52 PM
    You are misinformed if you think the banks can currently do this directly on their own without the involvement of third parties, including carriers and others like Google and Softcard. You are also misinformed if you think the current non-Apple services are as secure or protective of your private data (like your specific purchases and credit card number). I have researched this. Thoroughly.
    You haven't researched at all it looks like. When was the last time you researched the payment card system in Canada? The system is more secure than Apple Pay. You need a secure NFC sim card to be able to do this.

TD Canada Trust adds NFC-based mobile payments to its Android and BlackBerry app | MobileSyrup.com

PayPass Tap & Go | MasterCard Canada

Back to research you must go.
    09-17-14 10:59 PM
    You haven't researched at all it looks like. When was the last time you researched the payment card system in Canada? The system is more secure than Apple Pay. You need a secure NFC sim card to be able to do this.

TD Canada Trust adds NFC-based mobile payments to its Android and BlackBerry app | MobileSyrup.com

Specifically why do you believe it is more secure?
    09-17-14 11:05 PM
    Apple is in a league of it's own. Since it consistently gives the middle finger to the carriers.

BlackBerry's competition is Android, Windows Phone and whatever other up and coming mobile OS systems their are out there.

Posted with X10 via CB10
    09-17-14 11:10 PM
    I don't think this will affect BlackBerry as much as it will kill PayPal's efforts to move into brick and mortar retail transactions.

I mean, would having to carry your credit card in your back pocket really be the deciding factor between getting an iPhone or a BlackBerry? You still need to carry your ID, maybe some cash, insurance cards, etc. And if you're a woman, you're probably carrying make up, extra flip flops, snacks and supplies to last a week, etc.

So my point is, yes.. it's a nice convenience, but it won't single-handedly make someone that is seriously considering a BlackBerry jump for the iPhone. Now if you're a payment processing company, like PayPal, or that programmable card that was on kick starter that could hold all your credit cards, or maybe even the credit card plastic suppliers and manufacturers.. then I'd be worried.

Posted via CB10
    acovey, Elite1, Shadowyugi and 2 others like this.
    09-17-14 11:17 PM
    Apple unveiled its Apple Pay service at a recent September 9 product launch event in Cupertino.
    Apple Pay will be another affront to turnaround efforts at BlackBerry. BlackBerry will largely remain shut out of the payment market.
    Conservative investors should avoid buying into BlackBerry stock. The company may rack up losses through fiscal 2015........who believes that this will really hurt, and or damage BlackBerry

Posted via CB10
    Was this a quote you read somewhere or did you actually post this thread here at CrackBerry just to smash on BlackBerry? I'm not understanding this thread at all. Blackberry and android have had NFC for a few years now. Apple is just finally catching-up and people should stop buying BlackBerry stock now because of this? Really?
    The nerve of some people.
    acovey, Nayalm and Shadowyugi like this.
    09-17-14 11:22 PM
    You are joking right? NFC payments have been done with Blackberry and Android for a while now in Canada.Apple Pay is late to the game.
    But BBRY doesn't make one cent from NFC payments. You need to read more about the Apple deal with banks. It will be huge revenue for Apple once it gets rolling.
    JeepBB and lift like this.
    09-17-14 11:36 PM
    I needed a special SIM, but other than that the only one involved is my bank.

Posted via CB10
    Which cuts BBRY out of the loop .Read up on the financial deal Apple made.
    09-17-14 11:38 PM

Not that secure at all. All those payments transmit credit/debit card info via the NFC terminals which is what got hacked at the recent Home Depot debacle. Apple only passes a private hash of your credit card number via NFC.
    JeepBB and mornhavon like this.
    09-17-14 11:43 PM
    I was BBM chatting last year with someone in Singapore. She told me they've had e-wallet technology on phones for a few years already. Anyone know more, what they are using. Brand of phones?

Flicked out via Zed30
    09-17-14 11:48 PM
    The fact is apple is yesterday's technology that won't be available to apple users next year. We already know the iphone6 is just hitting the year 2012. The "new " iPhone is already two years behide the competition.

Posted via CB10
    09-18-14 12:28 AM
    Specifically why do you believe it is more secure?
    In Canada we use EMV. The card information is encrypted on the chip. That is also why you need a secure SIM card to have that same encryption.

The only country in the world that doesn't use EMV is the US and when it is implemented starting in OCt 2015, it will be chip and sign, not chip and pin. You guys need to get your act together. And good luck once the switch happens when liability is moved to retailers. In Canada and the rest of the world that uses EMV, US card holders are getting rejected as it would be on the retailer if that card was used fraudulently.
    acovey likes this.
    09-18-14 12:32 AM
    Apple unveiled its Apple Pay service at a recent September 9 product launch event in Cupertino.
    Apple Pay will be another affront to turnaround efforts at BlackBerry. BlackBerry will largely remain shut out of the payment market.
    Conservative investors should avoid buying into BlackBerry stock. The company may rack up losses through fiscal 2015........who believes that this will really hurt, and or damage BlackBerry

Posted via CB10
    The sky is falling, the sky is falling
    Shadowyugi likes this.
    09-18-14 12:33 AM
    Apple is in a league of it's own. Since it consistently gives the middle finger to the carriers.

BlackBerry's competition is Android, Windows Phone and whatever other up and coming mobile OS systems their are out there.

Posted with X10 via CB10
    Apple continues to lose market share everyday. I had almost ten friends who used iphone. Now no one uses iphone and they will never go back. The iphone6 is nothing more than an android phone made way back in 2012.

Posted via CB10
    09-18-14 12:33 AM
    Not that secure at all. All those payments transmit credit/debit card info via the NFC terminals which is what got hacked at the recent Home Depot debacle. Apple only passes a private hash of your credit card number via NFC.
    Good try.. The Home Depot attack had nothing to do with NFC, it was because their POS used XP. And in Canada, a secure SIM is required which encrypts the NFC transaction details. They are not clear text. Do people ever do any checking before they post?
    09-18-14 12:36 AM
    I think I found the iFans current thread.
    09-18-14 12:55 AM
    Good try.. The Home Depot attack had nothing to do with NFC, it was because their POS used XP. And in Canada, a secure SIM is required which encrypts the NFC transaction details. They are not clear text. Do people ever do any checking before they post?
    Do you read anything?

Sims had nothing to do with purchase at Home Depot and pins aren't used with tap to pay (Canadian Home Depots). Your credit card data is recorded.
    09-18-14 12:57 AM
    Trollbait thread title refined from the eloquent "BlackBerry Will Suffer" original.
    09-18-14 02:02 AM
    Apple Pay will HELP BlackBerry if anything. Widespread adoption of NFC payment systems at retail outlets will enable BlackBerry users to get in on the action as well.
    09-18-14 04:25 AM
    In Canada we use EMV. The card information is encrypted on the chip. That is also why you need a secure SIM card to have that same encryption.

The only country in the world that doesn't use EMV is the US and when it is implemented starting in OCt 2015, it will be chip and sign, not chip and pin. You guys need to get your act together. And good luck once the switch happens when liability is moved to retailers. In Canada and the rest of the world that uses EMV, US card holders are getting rejected as it would be on the retailer if that card was used fraudulently.
    I guess what I was asking is why you think having the secure element on the SIM is more secure than having it in the SoC? Apple is having hardware signing and encryption, implemented in a different way (a way that I would argue is superior)

Or let me ask it a different way. Why do you think Apple's solution is less secure than earlier mobile payment solutions? The Apple solution is actually more secure than previous systems because it moves the token resolution closer to the issuer among other improvements.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    sentimentGX4 and mornhavon like this.
    09-18-14 04:42 AM
    BBM Money FTW

Posted via CB10
    09-18-14 05:02 AM
    How long will it be before apple pay is hacked
    09-18-14 06:56 AM
    I swear these threads are just to bash iOS... it's like watching children arguing over sweets...

Posted via CB10
    JeepBB likes this.
    09-18-14 07:03 AM
219 1234 ...