05-27-15 01:40 AM
35 12
tools
    Interesting article that shows a recent apple patent for something similar to the trackpad...

http://bgr.com/2015/05/15/apple-pate...tton-features/

 Posted via Z10 
    Last edited by tmf06; 05-16-15 at 10:34 AM.
    05-16-15 09:51 AM
    I wonder how many Apple fans will think that this is new and innovative and *amazing*?

Posted via CB10
    05-16-15 12:58 PM
    It's not the functionality of a track pad that's being patented... it's how it functions via fingerprint reading/analysis that is key to the patent. It's actually a somewhat novel concept, and it'll be interesting to see what kind of added functionality can be incorporated. The pressure sensitivity by analyzing the force/weight of the fingerprint is pretty cool. I'd like to be able to zoom in/out with an inertial animation based on how much pressure I applied to it. The method they're patenting could possibly lead to rudimentary pseudo 3 Dimensional gestures with just one finger.
    Last edited by DenverRalphy; 05-16-15 at 01:44 PM.
    Eumaeus likes this.
    05-16-15 01:34 PM
    I wonder how many Apple fans will think that this is new and innovative and *amazing*?

Posted via CB10
    So far 90% of the posts are from 3 people arguing as to which is the bigest ball gobbler. Quite funny actually.
    mkelley65 likes this.
    05-16-15 01:50 PM
    This will probably be most useful in some future AppleTV device where alot of input buttons are not desired, ie a conventional remote would not be an Apple design decision.
    05-16-15 03:01 PM
    Good god, the comments on that story leave me with little hope for humanity.

Posted via CB10
    05-16-15 07:32 PM
    Let's all bow our heads and fold our hands in reverent prayer, repeating the words of the Apostle Stephen....

"resistance is futile, you will be assimilated...."
    sonicpix likes this.
    05-16-15 07:44 PM
    Good god, the comments on that story leave me with little hope for humanity.

Posted via CB10
    I don't understand the weight people put on the comments of any given news story.
    Why even read them?
    blusls likes this.
    05-16-15 11:37 PM
    I don't understand the weight people put on the comments of any given news story.
    Why even read them?
    You didn't read the comments, did you? I don't put ANY weight on them. I'm not talking about their discussion about the merits of different technology, because they don't discuss anything of merit. I'm referring to their general immaturity, sexism, and homophobia.

Posted via CB10
    05-17-15 12:34 AM
    You didn't read the comments, did you? I don't put ANY weight on them. I'm not talking about their discussion about the merits of different technology, because they don't discuss anything of merit. I'm referring to their general immaturity, sexism, and homophobia.

Posted via CB10
    That's pretty much comments anywhere that lots and lots of people visit. I won't let other people's trash into my head. Don't read the comments!

A couple of notable exceptions are sites like Ads Technica and AnandTech. Those sites are frequented by a much more intelligent class of reader and the comments section often has some valuable discussion.
    05-17-15 01:00 AM
    That's pretty much comments anywhere that lots and lots of people visit. I won't let other people's trash into my head. Don't read the comments!
    That's true for the most part. However BGR's comments are notoriously worse than the industry's average. Most sites have ranting and raging comments, but at least if you skim past those you'll still commonly find something worth reading (if you're into that kind of thing I guess). On BGR though, skimming/filtering the comments is just a worthless exercise in futility.
    05-17-15 11:43 AM
    The comments on bgr are usually pretty trashy, so I rarely read them these days. That's nice for Apple. They had to change their trackpad and keyboard mechanisms for the new MacBook, so it was bound to happen for the iPhones.
    05-17-15 02:54 PM

Posted via CB10
    I wonder how many crackberry posters will suddenly feel that way too....

- CrackBerry App for Android on Moto E (2014)
    05-17-15 03:55 PM
    So far 90% of the posts are from 3 people arguing as to which is the bigest ball gobbler. Quite funny actually.

Typical BGR commenters.
    Last edited by SK122387; 05-17-15 at 07:41 PM.
    05-17-15 07:14 PM
    I used to go to iBGR often to read random news but got so fed up with the anti-BB articles and completely ridiculous comments that I must have blacked it out of my memory because this is the first time in probably a year that I've been there. Wow. Things haven't improved that's for sure. I would urge you guys not to give them the ad revenue generated by your visits in future.
    RyanGermann likes this.
    05-17-15 07:34 PM
    I would urge you guys not to give them the ad revenue generated by your visits in future.
    That's not how it works. People would rather complain than take the obvious route of no longer visiting lol.

'I hate this site <insert link>! Can you believe this crap! No one should visit!'

Meanwhile, oblivious to the fact the outrage drives more traffic than if they had of said nothing.
    05-17-15 10:46 PM

Posted via CB10
    Don't you think keyboad that has ability to flick and navigate the screen is the same way?
    05-17-15 11:57 PM
    It's not the functionality of a track pad that's being patented... it's how it functions via fingerprint reading/analysis that is key to the patent. It's actually a somewhat novel concept, and it'll be interesting to see what kind of added functionality can be incorporated. The pressure sensitivity by analyzing the force/weight of the fingerprint is pretty cool. I'd like to be able to zoom in/out with an inertial animation based on how much pressure I applied to it. The method they're patenting could possibly lead to rudimentary pseudo 3 Dimensional gestures with just one finger.
    Aren't these the same functionalies that the BB trackpad has been doing for eons? Zoom using the Track, move panes etc?
    05-18-15 03:46 AM
    Aren't these the same functionalies that the BB trackpad has been doing for eons? Zoom using the Track, move panes etc?
    Fingerprint functionality?
    05-18-15 05:36 AM
    The phone is presumably already accessible if one zooming in, etc using the BlackBerryesque track pad. But, hey, if continuous fingerprint scanning is of importance, then I yield to the awe of the herd.

Posted via CB10
    05-18-15 03:04 PM
    The difference, is that what Apple is proposing is that the button (track pad if you will) will have a linear 3rd dimension gesture. With BB's implementation to zoom with the track pad, you have to switch between modes with a click of the track pad (and subsequently have to switch back to pan mode when you're done zooming). BB's track pad doesn't have a linear 3rd dimension, it's two dimensional only. With Apple's proposed implementation, the 3rd dimension is always available so you can zoom and pan simultaneously. The 3rd dimensional gesture isn't just limited to zooming, there are other applications that can be used as well... 3D game control, incremental input (like setting a clock's hour, minute, seconds), camera zoom, brightness control, and whatever else a developer's imagination can come up with. A regular trackpad doesn't have that linear 3rd dimension, it only has a one click toggle function.

Via Tapatalk
    tack and Eumaeus like this.
    05-18-15 03:54 PM
    I really dont wanna say this, but if this comes in the iPhone 7, i migh-

owait, i forgot that apples security = ****.

FALSE ALARM GUYS

Posted from q10, excuse me for not having any typos.
    05-19-15 09:05 AM
    I really dont wanna say this, but if this comes in the iPhone 7, i migh-

owait, i forgot that apples security = ****.

FALSE ALARM GUYS

I'm just curious. What about "Apple's security" would keep you from buying a phone?

I ask because Apple's security is pretty solid. Out of however many hundreds of millions of iOS devices out there, there's never been a breach that I'm aware of that affected anyone other than a couple dozen celebrities with bad pass-wording practices? Unless you're a celebrity, you're probably not as enticing a target as Scarlett Johansson or somebody.

For example, security on iOS is such that the overwhelming majority of fortune 500 companies continue to deploy iPhones and iPads over any other manufacturer.
    Eumaeus likes this.
    05-19-15 10:44 AM
    I'm just curious. What about "Apple's security" would keep you from buying a phone?

I ask because Apple's security is pretty solid. Out of however many hundreds of millions of iOS devices out there, there's never been a breach that I'm aware of that affected anyone other than a couple dozen celebrities with bad pass-wording practices? Unless you're a celebrity, you're probably not as enticing a target as Scarlett Johansson or somebody.

For example, security on iOS is such that the overwhelming majority of fortune 500 companies continue to deploy iPhones and iPads over any other manufacturer.
    Well, uhh, iCloud pic leak? No?

05-19-15 01:42 PM
    Well, uhh, iCloud pic leak? No?

That's a bit different from hacking a device.
    05-19-15 02:25 PM
35 12