04-13-15 11:59 PM
233 ... 678910
tools
    To be honest, when I read your post I thought the same thing, that you were an apple employee or company working in their behalf, good to know that you just sound like one of them hahaha.
    Nah, there's no money in it.

Take me, I was accused of being an Apple shill on more than one occasion, and I'm *still* waiting for my cheque.

Good of you to conform to the paranoid stereotype though, kind of proves his point.
    techvisor likes this.
    03-25-15 08:26 AM
    To be honest, when I read your post I thought the same thing, that you were an apple employee or company working in their behalf, good to know that you just sound like one of them hahaha

Posted via CB10
    Nope, I dont work for Apple or anything like that. I have a Z10, a Z30, and since a few months ago, an iPhone 6+, so I like both BlackBerry and Apple products. (Im not the only one) Its just tough to be a fan of both brands on Crackberry sometimes!! Some people here make very odd claims about Apple, so sometimes it seems like a link here or there to show strong performance on Apple's part might resolve misunderstandings.

I like that BlackBerry is still in the hardware game and, from a personal perspective, Id like to see a tempting flagship all-touch Z-series upgrade come out of BlackBerry. The Slider is interesting to me, but I disagree with some of Chen's other choices, including the no all-touch flagship in 2014 or 2015 choice. I think that the Apple trade-in program might be a factor, so here we are...
    techvisor likes this.
    03-25-15 09:19 AM
    They've spent the last two years making devices finding out what customers DON'T want... which is full touchscreen devices.

There are fewer better devices on the market than the Z30. No, not just raw specs, but sheer quality and "joy to use". There are plenty of lacklustre devices that are super powered super DPI monsters.

Continue to state that "what customers want is a BB10 all touch device" and Mr. Chen will haul out two years of sales data and inventory writedowns that prove that is NOT what they want.

That said, they don't need to innovate their pants off to build a device with the specs of a Nexus 5 (but having a Micro SD card slot) so yeah, they should just put one out in modest volumes at a profitable price... but isn't there sufficient data already that clearly proves that an all-touch device will NOT be BlackBerry's salvation? I mean, are there enough "I don't care what OS it runs so long as it has a very fast processor and very high resolution screen" nerds who will buy a BB10 device JUST because it's powerful? I don't think there is, but there's no reason why BB couldn't just drop a "last year's high end" spec on the market and satisfy most people. 2.2 GHz, 1080p screen 5"er... would that be adequate?

...and if the popularity of iPhones means that "people don't like PKBs", then the popularity of super cheap Android devices means "People prefer Android over iOS". If you can rationalize rejection of PKBs by the popularity of Apple devices i.e. people like iPhones BECAUSE they don't have keyboards, then you must also accept that people don't like Android devices BECAUSE they're inexpensive, it's because they like Android better than iOS. Neither conclusion is correct but that's the same argument you hear on CrackBerry whenever someone suggests that BlackBerry should not continue to make devices like the Classic. I think a slider iOS device with a BlackBerry keyboard would sell VERY well. Startingly well. Just as the iPhone 6 Plus exceeded Apple's expectations, I believe a portrait QWERTY slider iPhone would sell in the 10s of millions per year.... but not JUST because it has a PKB... because it is running iOS AND ALSO has a PKB.
    People may not want all-touch BlackBerry devices, but this does not mean they do not want all-touch devices; it simply means they don't want (or like) BlackBerry phones. Hence the write-down you mention.

Of the people who DO like BlackBerry, it's no secret they "grew up" on a BB PKB device of some sort.

People who just have to have a PKB, there is zero competition; BB or nothing. Captive market. All touch faces plentiful competition, which easily whittles away brand loyalty (for the non fanatics anyway).

Q10 SQN100-1- OS 10.3.1.2558 ... on its 3rd keyboard.
    03-25-15 09:40 AM
    *waste. That has nothing to do with the iOS ecosystem.
    Begin Rant.....
    The only thing I admire Apple for was, they went from being almost nothing to something. They pushed the mobile industry in the right direction when they launched the 1st iPhone, iPad, iPad etc., that got people thinking and competition moving.

As for its methods, I am totally against how they've been conducting business such as Anti-Competition practices. Locking and manipulating Carriers to sign Ripoff Contracts etc.,

I used to own Apple Products back when the 1st iPhone was out. Not anymore, Will not support a deceptive company that continues to manipulate it's customers ND consumers, that haven't Innovated in many years now, charging a premium for none premium products.

iOS served a purpose. But was always a dead end OS. Just like BROS and just like Android. At least with Android there's room for expandability some what, but for how long. Anyhow iOS will eventually bite them in the Aris, sooner rather then later.

Today the best newest and freshest OS's is BB10 and WP8/10. Despite not being a fan of W08, I respect it because it's new and different, just like BB10.
    End Rant...

Sexy White Z30
    03-25-15 10:19 AM
    As for its methods, I am totally against how they've been conducting business such as Anti-Competition practices. Locking and manipulating Carriers to sign Ripoff Contracts etc.
    Carriers are the ones to blame for agreeing to such demanding terms. It's like when someone purchases a new cell on a 2-year contract. Nobody is forcing them to agree to that. It's their choice.
    03-25-15 10:23 AM
    Begin Rant.....
    The only thing I admire Apple for was, they went from being almost nothing to something. They pushed the mobile industry in the right direction when they launched the 1st iPhone, iPad, iPad etc., that got people thinking and competition moving.

As for its methods, I am totally against how they've been conducting business such as Anti-Competition practices. Locking and manipulating Carriers to sign Ripoff Contracts etc.,

I used to own Apple Products back when the 1st iPhone was out. Not anymore, Will not support a deceptive company that continues to manipulate it's customers ND consumers, that haven't Innovated in many years now, charging a premium for none premium products.

iOS served a purpose. But was always a dead end OS. Just like BROS and just like Android. At least with Android there's room for expandability some what, but for how long. Anyhow iOS will eventually bite them in the Aris, sooner rather then later.

Today the best newest and freshest OS's is BB10 and WP8/10. Despite not being a fan of W08, I respect it because it's new and different, just like BB10.
    End Rant...

Sexy White Z30
    Honestly?
    The hyperbolic way you write posts like these, makes me wonder if you can actually be serious.
    No facts, pure conjecture, completely false premises in 9/10 posts, and a sad, yet incredibly visible inferiority complex.

Paired with an irrational hatred for Apple (the only thing I agree with, is tax evasion. But at that multinational level, no matter if Apple or BlackBerry, they all do it), your posts can't be taken seriously.
    Actually, most of them, are devoid of all information, and are just one ridiculous rant/whine, about how mean Apple is.

Calling every OS that is far more popular than BB10, a dead-end, is just ridiculous at that point. Can you provide the technical facts, why everything is a dead end, except for BlackBerry's OS?
    Eumaeus, mornhavon and techvisor like this.
    03-25-15 10:49 AM
    People may not want all-touch BlackBerry devices, but this does not mean they do not want all-touch devices; it simply means they don't want (or like) BlackBerry phones. Hence the write-down you mention.
    Yes: I am #1 "BB Device Diversity" champion: small volume production runs, sold at a profit, numerous form factors including 4", 5" or maybe even 5.5" full touch devices... please BB, just don't get wound up trying to reinvent the wheel every time: just because the device is 4" diagonal that doesn't mean it should be underpowered / budget device... likewise as they are showing with the Leap, just because it has a 5" screen that doesn't mean it has to be a superpowered flagship.

If BB10 OS supports multiple resolutions and developers (if there are still any BB10 developers who haven't taken the hint to shift efforts to Android) should adopt the "display unit" sizing technique instead of pixels etc. so apps scale properly, then I don't see why BB10 devices in various screen sizes with modest price points (1280 x 720 screen) and mainstream (1080p screen) and maybe even "flagship" (2560 x 1440) all touch devices could be produced, but the user who doesn't want a huge device or wants a device WITH a keyboard should not also have to settle for an underpowered processor.

I believe that processor speed is maxing out in terms of human factors: it can theoretically get faster but people will notice the improvements less and less beyond 3GHz processors and suitably optimized GPUs, so now it's time to turn attention to making sure the human factors are addressed in more obvious places: physical size of the device (what fits nicely in a large hand isn't the same as a small hand) and price points (which will be lead more by performance than by physical size) and then two-factor it for PKB and non-PKB devices (ok, three factor: Classic/Passport, Slider, full touch).

Something for absolutely everyone. They will do well if they can keep supply chain management under very VERY tight control.

Re: apple's terms with carriers:

Carriers are the ones to blame for agreeing to such demanding terms. It's like when someone purchases a new cell on a 2-year contract. Nobody is forcing them to agree to that. It's their choice.
    But it has the chilling effect on competition in that the carrier has to work very hard to push enough devices through to customers in order to meet their agreements, which logically means they can't sell as many Android or BlackBerry handsets. There was a situation when Sprint got the iPhone that they were having trouble moving enough devices: every sale of an Android or BlackBerry device i.e. not an iPhone was going to COST them in terms of higher fees to Apple. So there is a COST to them of selling non iPhone devices, effectively, which is the kind of thing that the FTC should look into. It's great for Apple that they have a market leading position where resellers will sell their souls to be able to sell Apple products, but there are plenty of cases in history where something that technically wasn't illegal was made illegal because of the negative impact on "fair" competition.

If the agreement with the carriers was stated "For each non iPhone you sell, you will give Apple $20 as a penalty" they'd probably already have been fined: but wording it "If you sell (some ridiculously high number) of iPhones, you get $20 off per device" has the same effect even if it's phrased as a form of an incentive to sell iPhones, not a disincentive to sell non-iPhone devices.
    03-25-15 12:12 PM
    Relax my friend, I was just saying that the post could be read also as someone trying to sell something...

Nah, there's no money in it.

Take me, I was accused of being an Apple shill on more than one occasion, and I'm *still* waiting for my cheque.

Good of you to conform to the paranoid stereotype though, kind of proves his point.

Posted via CB10
    JeepBB likes this.
    03-25-15 12:19 PM
    Dude, I'm the OP and I am not a marketing firm, nor do I work for Apple. You may be suffering from a frequent Crackberry paranoid delusion about Apple's wicked plot to God-knows-what!?!

One thing is for sure, and that's that Apple continues to have monster quarter after monster quarter, so they are the furthest thing from desperate imaginable. In fact, if you're looking for desperate, BlackBerry's last several years and current agenda might be a good starting point.
    Would like to see the real number of sales from apple and not have them include all of the replacements for broken screens,bad home buttons or other hardware issues they just swap out and not solve. That would tell the real number of phones they move.
    03-25-15 12:25 PM
    Begin Rant.....

End Rant...

Sexy White Z30
    03-25-15 12:34 PM
    Would like to see the real number of sales from apple and not have them include all of the replacements for broken screens,bad home buttons or other hardware issues they just swap out and not solve. That would tell the real number of phones they move.

Lol considering their revenue and profits fall in line with units sold (not warranty claims) I don't see where this line of thinking comes from. If a large chunk of the units moved where not actually sales, but simply repairs and replacements... They wouldn't generate profit.
    03-25-15 12:38 PM
    knowing apple though its gonna be something mad like 100 Blackberries = 1 iphone..
    03-25-15 01:37 PM
    Skatophilia is scatophiliac? Oh darn it sounds like some deadly disease LoL!

Posted via CB10
    It's not suppose to mean that! I literally came up with it one day, as I use that word on PokerStars also... When I came up with it, I thought of "the fear of scat solos" Lmao
    nhanken likes this.
    03-25-15 01:37 PM
    I know what empirical data is but it's clear you don't.

We have SEEN, both directly, through our own personal acquaintances, dozens of people, and indirectly, through sales numbers, millions of people buy iPhones and STATISTICALLY, (through customer sat numbers) that they have been happy with those iPhones.
    Then you misunderstood and are talking about something else. I get that now.
    03-25-15 01:45 PM

Of the people who DO like BlackBerry, it's no secret they "grew up" on a BB PKB device of some sort.

People who just have to have a PKB, there is zero competition; BB or nothing. Captive market. All touch faces plentiful competition, which easily whittles away brand loyalty (for the non fanatics anyway).

Q10 SQN100-1- OS 10.3.1.2558 ... on its 3rd keyboard.
    True about those users "raised" on pkbs, and that means that BBRY is living on borrowed time, as the net (ie. loss of existing users - increase in new users) number decreases from pure attrition. And I am sure they are very aware of it.
    JeepBB, MarsupilamiX and techvisor like this.
    03-25-15 01:49 PM
    I was raised on PKBs and transitioned to touch just fine. Didnt miss a beat. And now back to PKB with the Passport but out of the 2, I prefer touch. I grew up rolling with the tech changes so no biggie.

Now that I have been using BB10 for the last 8 months or so... I like it better, miss some of the Apps but I like the OS better....so how is that part of the" consumer market" explained??? Some of us cannot be categorized, boxed or put into a virtual "App". I'm not stuck in old ways...I just like the OS better. I think some of the younger people born with droids and Iphones in their hands are the ones having issues opening their minds a little about mobile computing.

Brought to you by an overpriced carrier.
    03-25-15 05:56 PM
    Wow, seriously?? I believe you must be aware that they are responsible for all the numbers they reported; but still you think the 10Q numbers they filed to SEC every quarters are all lies about how many units they shipped. If you were that sure, I suggest you to bring the case to some lawyers and split the lawsuit income. You will be a billionaire in no time.
    JeepBB and Eumaeus like this.
    03-25-15 06:48 PM
    So you really think they includes warranty replacement items as sales!? Wow. I guess they must be replacing about 10 devices for about every one sold with the numbers they report. I swear the delusion grows thick as the excuses in here!

Posted via CB10
    techvisor and JeepBB like this.
    03-25-15 09:51 PM
    I know the real-deal crazies are here when I start reading about how Apple's sales figures are a conspiracy.

Holy **** already.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    jmr1015, techvisor, JeepBB and 1 others like this.
    03-25-15 10:59 PM
    http://www.macnn.com/articles/07/01/...ays.legal.fees

Not to be too tinfoil...but I would guess they have their own army of bloggers, paid media, paid "reviews" and dominate youtube with teenagers who say how awesome their devices are. I mean just for the fact they went to court on this just stinks of shady (ness). Not so much chat over at Imore...but over here, totally different story. Why is that? Is there no one over at Imore interesting to talk to?? I mean seriously. Wow.

03-26-15 12:23 AM
    http://www.macnn.com/articles/07/01/...ays.legal.fees

Not to be too tinfoil...but I would guess they have their own army of bloggers, paid media, paid "reviews" and dominate youtube with teenagers who say how awesome their devices are. I mean just for the fact they went to court on this just stinks of shady (ness). Not so much chat over at Imore...but over here, totally different story. Why is that? Is there no one over at Imore interesting to talk to?? I mean seriously. Wow.

This article is not about Apple's employing rouge bloggers to attack BlackBerry on the web, instead, its a minor story about bloggers suing Apple for legal fees. Pretty easy seeing why this non-story did not excite the public. Of course, if legal fee disputes are your favorite, then look no further...
    JeepBB likes this.
    03-26-15 12:53 AM
    I know. It's almost unbelievable.

But right here it is.
    http://www.businessinsider.com/apple...try-now-2015-2

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    This is astonishing and I must have missed the news.
    Incredible. Their strategy is impressive.

This also means that the smartphone market truly has a lot of parallels to the PC market, but that Apple actually got even better at the game.
    Seems as though the premium walled garden approach was the correct one.
    03-26-15 01:12 AM
    Imore Imore Imore!!! LOL

03-26-15 01:16 AM
    I know. It's almost unbelievable.

But right here it is.
    http://www.businessinsider.com/apple...try-now-2015-2
    They should really publish things like this on CB blogs. Puts it into perspective the uphill battle BlackBerry and everyone else has.
    03-26-15 01:19 AM
    Imore Imore Imore!!! LOL

I am genuinely impressed by the performance.
    This is completely unrelated to the degree of how much I like Apple, or if I think that Apple can continue endlessly like that.

But when you have 90% of the profits, with ~10-15% marketshare, and are on the best way to be the first trillion dollar company...
    You must have done at least some things right.

However, I am absolutely of the opinion that Apple, being SO rich, should bring more jobs back home, into the US/"developed world".
    They should also pay more taxes, simply because they can.
    But that's my European social-democratic bias.

I am sure that I am not the only one in here, who is rather on the neutral side, but thinks that it's impressive what Apple accomplished in the last ~13 years.
    It's in so far even more interesting, because everyone of us was able to witness it. It's not like Coca-Cola, who was an established brand, when I was born already.
    Last edited by MarsupilamiX; 03-26-15 at 02:26 AM.
    JeepBB likes this.
    03-26-15 01:31 AM
233 ... 678910