04-14-15 12:59 AM
233 ... 23456 ...
tools
    "Note: Windows Phones are apparently not invited, which ought to surprise no one, as even the brilliant minds at Apple can find no value in those devices. Pity that."

Ouch!!! all of the Windows phone users out will be upset about that comment, probably both of them.....lol
    A BlackBerry user taking shots at Windows Phone user base size?

Keep ignoring the reality that 80% of smart phone users use something else. That's not a little bit of a difference, but a resounding statement that Apple is simply not as popular as you make it out to be.
    Lol I love this old argument. Yes, 80% of the entire global smartphone market use Android. An operating system offered on devices produced by dozens, if not over 100 different manufacturers around the globe, at every price point from $100 emerging markets devices and dirt cheap Chinese handsets, all the way up to top tier $700+ flag ships, and everything in between.

One on one with the biggest mover of smartphones in the world, Samsung, Apple has narrowed the market share gap, and again, Samsung's market share numbers include all the devices they make... Which is probably more than a dozen any given upgrade cycle, including sub-$200 emerging markets REX devices, and midrange $200-$400 devices that are offered free with a 2-year contract on many carriers, and a handful of Galaxy models.

But no, Apple, who usually offers one current model per year (until the recent release of two flagships) being able to snag nearly the same market share as Samsung, who sells a plethora of models spanning the entire gamut of prices, means they aren't popular.
    03-19-15 01:35 AM
    BlackBerry is no longer interested in providing what customers want.
    They've spent the last two years making devices finding out what customers DON'T want... which is full touchscreen devices.

There are fewer better devices on the market than the Z30. No, not just raw specs, but sheer quality and "joy to use". There are plenty of lacklustre devices that are super powered super DPI monsters.

Continue to state that "what customers want is a BB10 all touch device" and Mr. Chen will haul out two years of sales data and inventory writedowns that prove that is NOT what they want.

That said, they don't need to innovate their pants off to build a device with the specs of a Nexus 5 (but having a Micro SD card slot) so yeah, they should just put one out in modest volumes at a profitable price... but isn't there sufficient data already that clearly proves that an all-touch device will NOT be BlackBerry's salvation? I mean, are there enough "I don't care what OS it runs so long as it has a very fast processor and very high resolution screen" nerds who will buy a BB10 device JUST because it's powerful? I don't think there is, but there's no reason why BB couldn't just drop a "last year's high end" spec on the market and satisfy most people. 2.2 GHz, 1080p screen 5"er... would that be adequate?

...and if the popularity of iPhones means that "people don't like PKBs", then the popularity of super cheap Android devices means "People prefer Android over iOS". If you can rationalize rejection of PKBs by the popularity of Apple devices i.e. people like iPhones BECAUSE they don't have keyboards, then you must also accept that people don't like Android devices BECAUSE they're inexpensive, it's because they like Android better than iOS. Neither conclusion is correct but that's the same argument you hear on CrackBerry whenever someone suggests that BlackBerry should not continue to make devices like the Classic. I think a slider iOS device with a BlackBerry keyboard would sell VERY well. Startingly well. Just as the iPhone 6 Plus exceeded Apple's expectations, I believe a portrait QWERTY slider iPhone would sell in the 10s of millions per year.... but not JUST because it has a PKB... because it is running iOS AND ALSO has a PKB.
    03-19-15 02:36 AM
    I hope this is true. Wouldn't mind trading in my Z10 lying around for an iPhone 6

Posted via CB10
    03-19-15 02:51 AM
    They've spent the last two years making devices finding out what customers DON'T want... which is full touchscreen devices.

There are fewer better devices on the market than the Z30. No, not just raw specs, but sheer quality and "joy to use". There are plenty of lacklustre devices that are super powered super DPI monsters.

Continue to state that "what customers want is a BB10 all touch device" and Mr. Chen will haul out two years of sales data and inventory writedowns that prove that is NOT what they want.

That said, they don't need to innovate their pants off to build a device with the specs of a Nexus 5 (but having a Micro SD card slot) so yeah, they should just put one out in modest volumes at a profitable price... but isn't there sufficient data already that clearly proves that an all-touch device will NOT be BlackBerry's salvation? I mean, are there enough "I don't care what OS it runs so long as it has a very fast processor and very high resolution screen" nerds who will buy a BB10 device JUST because it's powerful? I don't think there is, but there's no reason why BB couldn't just drop a "last year's high end" spec on the market and satisfy most people. 2.2 GHz, 1080p screen 5"er... would that be adequate?

...and if the popularity of iPhones means that "people don't like PKBs", then the popularity of super cheap Android devices means "People prefer Android over iOS". If you can rationalize rejection of PKBs by the popularity of Apple devices i.e. people like iPhones BECAUSE they don't have keyboards, then you must also accept that people don't like Android devices BECAUSE they're inexpensive, it's because they like Android better than iOS. Neither conclusion is correct but that's the same argument you hear on CrackBerry whenever someone suggests that BlackBerry should not continue to make devices like the Classic. I think a slider iOS device with a BlackBerry keyboard would sell VERY well. Startingly well. Just as the iPhone 6 Plus exceeded Apple's expectations, I believe a portrait QWERTY slider iPhone would sell in the 10s of millions per year.... but not JUST because it has a PKB... because it is running iOS AND ALSO has a PKB.
    Yeah, we're all closet PKB users, all 2.5 billion of us. Touchscreen people need to come out of their closets and start demanding what they really want - PKB phones. You sound like Mike & Jim in 2006
    eyesopen1111 and MarsupilamiX like this.
    03-19-15 03:48 AM
    Yeah, we're all closet PKB users, all 2.5 billion of us. Touchscreen people need to come out of their closets and start demanding what they really want - PKB phones. You sound like Mike & Jim in 2006
    No, I don't. I believe a well-run company provides a diverse offering, not a very narrow "that's not what we do even if the customer wants it" product line.

I think there are more PKB lovers than most people (you, I guess) give the 'market' credit for, and I challenge the totally made up "iPhone success = PKB hate" rhetoric, because it's just bad science.

Like what you want, but drawing spurious conclusions on no data to support your position just proves how weak your position is (and / or how weak one's reasoning ability might be.)

If you read what I wrote, you'll see it's quite reasonable, even though your response wasn't.
    ArcPlug likes this.
    03-19-15 07:59 AM

You realize that the first couple quarters of the Z10, BlackBerry sold a lot and revenue shot up, right? The write down occurred because they committed to make too many, made more than they could sell, and the device was released with 2012 Flagship specs when all the other companies were just getting ready to release the 2013 Flagships. They had to write it down to reposition it as an entry level device and price accordingly. The Z30 was launched in the middle of the night and right around an earnings report where the companies future looked doomed with the For Sale sign. Add to that the Z30 too was released with features and a price that was not in line with the market either. Love my Z30, but I bought it for $224 which is closer to what the device was worth than the launch price.

Without launching a truly high end all touch, now with complete software and the Amazon app store, BlackBerry has no actual Apples to Apples data to see how all touch would do. I bet a full touch with Passport internals, 1080 or 1440 screen and released at same time as Passport would have blown Passport sales out of the water.

Posted via CB10
    03-19-15 08:25 AM
    I bet a full touch with Passport internals, 1080 or 1440 screen and released at same time as Passport would have blown Passport sales out of the water.
    A "me too" touch device from Blackberry would be virtually ignored by the carriers, particularly US and probably even Canada (think about the Rogers Z30 snub) - they simply wouldn't have any reason to carry it. That was the big lesson from the Z30 and it seems like the current hardware strategy is designed to avoid repeating it.
    mikeo007 likes this.
    03-19-15 09:05 AM
    it barely sold
    I think you just answered your own question there. BlackBerry seems to be focusing on the low hanging fruit (in their eyes) as well diversifying their revenue streams. Maybe we need to address the question of "Why no high end all touch design in their portfolio to replace and/or succeed the Z10 and Z30 and supplement the Passport?" to the correct persons and forum. Maybe Bla1ze could help us out and ask Chen or Michael Clewey or someone else in authority on our behalf. That way people wouldn't be waiting in vain and we would be sure that the company would have heard our voices.

Posted via CB10
    03-19-15 09:24 AM
    It was a joke about Apple not thinking WP was a thing, not a statement on anything, man this site is angry anymore
    techvisor likes this.
    03-19-15 11:12 AM
    It was a joke about Apple not thinking WP was a thing, not a statement on anything, man this site is angry anymore
    Don't worry ... I took it as a joke. So that's 50% of us WinPhone users OK with your post.
    03-19-15 11:19 AM
    That's the kind of thinking that makes me wonder why people want a 5" all touch that has better specs than the Z30. Realistically, what use case for a BlackBerry 10 device calls for higher specs? I don't personally do much on my Z10, but it plays Need 4 Speed and other games really well even with a lower end GPU than what's on the Z30. I've never really experienced any slowness or other performance annoyances on the Z10 and I am one to be annoyed by such things. So it makes me genuinely curious why a Z30, even today, isn't good enough for people. What are those people doing to need better specs? My guess is that it's a want issue and not a need issue.

I hear ya on the 10.0 release of the BB10. I kept my 9900 for a year after the Z10 released and ended up going to an HTC One for a day - long enough discover that every app wanted to spy... So I traded it for a Z10. After 10 months I picked up a Q10, because I couldn't take the touch screen keyboard any more. Even though I didn't buy the Q10 at launch, because wanted the trackpad, I would rather had a Q10 than the bloody enormous Classic. Why did they have to make it Fisher Price huge instead of the same size as the 9900...

Anyhow, I like the Q10 for communications and the Z10 makes a decent tablet. However, keep in mind that I don't use Android apps on my BlackBerry, nor do I use any of those "social networking" things. Personally, I think people who use those things as their primary use of the device should buy an Android, because it's the right tool for the job - on a BlackBerry, Android apps are just a tacked on feature. BlackBerry native and Android ported apps seem to run just fine to me on BlackBerry 10. It's sort of the same thing as how I will boot to Windows to play a Windows based game, because even though the game can run in Linux using Wine, the game will always run much better in Windows. Shocking, eh? Lol...
    I think the sole use case for higher spec'd blackberry phones is running android apps. 10.2+ already runs like butter on everything it can be downloaded to.

Posted via CB10
    03-19-15 11:20 AM
    No, I don't. I believe a well-run company provides a diverse offering, not a very narrow "that's not what we do even if the customer wants it" product line.

I think there are more PKB lovers than most people (you, I guess) give the 'market' credit for, and I challenge the totally made up "iPhone success = PKB hate" rhetoric, because it's just bad science.

Like what you want, but drawing spurious conclusions on no data to support your position just proves how weak your position is (and / or how weak one's reasoning ability might be.)

If you read what I wrote, you'll see it's quite reasonable, even though your response wasn't.
    Yeah right. One thing's for sure, less than 1% market share for PKB and shrinking. You can whip out your calculator and start pressing numbers cause your fingers would be numb from pressing it to get to the Touchscreen totals. Companies don't build PKBs for a reason and all BlackBerry is doing is targeting that leftover market that "NOBODY ELSE" wants to sell to. Based on your reasons, why don't I say people really only want email on a phone. They don't want IM programs. You'll see, build a phone that's purely email and they will buy it in the millions.
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    03-19-15 11:21 AM
    Apple would probably give me $75 for my Z10, which is worth SO much more than that!
    03-19-15 12:35 PM
    If that's god Chen's conclusion then he's even less of a CEO than I suspected.

The primary reason for such dismal sales data is pure and simple...nobody outside this geek community even knew the Z10 and Z30 existed... most still don't.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by crackberry_geek; 03-19-15 at 01:27 PM.
    eyesopen1111 and nt300 like this.
    03-19-15 12:42 PM
    Apple would probably give me $75 for my Z10, which is worth SO much more than that!
    A Z10 is going for $149 new on Ebay, and yours would be sold used by a suspected scatophiliac (based on your username), so $75 sounds generous. Hahahaha

If that's god Chen's conclusion then he's even less of a CEO than even I suspected.

The primary reason for such dismal sales data is pure and simple...nobody outside this geek community even knew the Z10 and Z30 existed... most still don't.

Posted via CB10
    I agree that there are multiple reasons for poor sales performance of the all-touch BlackBerry 10 phones, but especially the low-spec, high-price, terrible app situation, poor sales channels, the horrible USA exclusivity deal with Verizon for the Z30, telling BB10 devs to code for Android/ Amazon, etc. So, while BlackBerry was successful at making shortterm profits by overcharging fan boys $650 for the Z10's, Z30's, and other BB10 devices, you can't sell enough at that price to build the BB10 userbase to where it needs to be to attract developers, which kills the OS longterm.
    Last edited by eyesopen1111; 03-19-15 at 01:13 PM.
    techvisor likes this.
    03-19-15 12:43 PM
    You can go the EBay or Craigslist route and screen and meet prospective buyers or do something like Gazelle.com which is very easy. If you just do it on the spot with the retailer you're going to have to accept a lot less for the convenience.

Apple to offer new trade-in program for BlackBerry and Android phones-screen-capture.png

And speaking of scatophilia, I refuse to handle anyone else's smartphone. If they ask why, I ask them if they ever take their phone into the toilet stall with them and when was the last time that they washed it.
    03-19-15 12:53 PM
    A Z10 is going for $149 new on Ebay, and yours would be sold used by a suspected scatophiliac (based on your username), so $75 sounds generous. Hahahaha
    http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15...ac78c9857b.jpg

I agree that there are multiple reasons for poor sales performance of the all-touch BlackBerry 10 phones, but especially the low-spec, high-price, terrible app situation, poor sales channels, the horrible USA exclusivity deal with Verizon for the Z30, telling BB10 devs to code for Android/ Amazon, etc. So, while BlackBerry was successful at making shortterm profits by overcharging fan boys $650 for the Z10's, Z30's, and other BB10 devices, you can't sell enough at that price to build the BB10 userbase to where it needs to be to attract developers, which kills the OS longterm.
    LMFAO I honestly never had any idea that the word scatophiliac existed. Maybe I should see if I can change my username then
    03-19-15 02:40 PM
    LMFAO I honestly never had any idea that the word scatophiliac existed. Maybe I should see if I can change my username then
    Skatophilia is scatophiliac? Oh darn it sounds like some deadly disease LoL!

Posted via CB10
    03-19-15 03:08 PM
    To my mind, BlackBerry is an unique and world famous brand. But, it should introduced Android OS and thanks to Apple for making trade with world famous BB. Hope it will develop some innovative products in market for phone lover, like me.
    03-19-15 03:40 PM
    Apple, like every other company (Except Blackberry) understands that you cannot rest on your laurels and is positioning themselves to continue to grow... Think about it... most of the world has cell phones and the days of getting new cellphone users are getting thin. You have to steal your customers from somewhere else....and so they will continue to innovate and change things up..

Blackberry has done such a ****-poor job of marketing their products... I don't care what the specs are on a phone... People want their phone to be hip and cool. A smartphone is a fashion accessory for many people and having the Classic on your hip isn't going to get you the girl!!!!

Let's be honest, part of the charm of having a Blackberry is the fact that no one has one anymore and you are unique!! It is YOUR fashion statement!! Look at all the posts about people carrying the Passport and how people stop and want to talk about it, it is an attention grabber.

We can talk about productivity all day.. but most phones can do what most of us need very efficiently, it is just preference and how much we want to "make a statement"...I am part of that crowd. I had the original Iphone back in 2007 on launch day and kept it on my hip for the world to see. roll the clock ahead 8 years and I am going to roll with a Passport for the same reason..

If Blackberry didn't keep their head in the sand all these years and kept up with the trends, they would be much better off today.. I hope that they can dig out of this mess that they created.
    eyesopen1111 and MikeX74 like this.
    03-19-15 04:11 PM
    I agree BlackBerry is the Culprit of there own ridiculous image issues of today.
    Delaying BB10 for over 18 months was a huge error. Unacceptable. And at the time, BlackBerry commanded over 12-15% world wide market share.
    - Releasing 2012 spec'ed devices for a premium?
    - Not releasing the Q10 along side the Z10 together.
    - huge mistake not releasing the Q5 Full Touch Versions (Z5) that was in different colours directly marketed at Teenagers.
    - Marketing completely Stinks. The Entire Marketing Division should have been dumped on there Arises. BlackBerry needs to hire a company for Marketing assistance.
    - Apple / Carrier RIPOFF Contracts, help mess up potential BB10 sales. Carrier workers lying to customers and convincing them to buy crap iPhones over Superior BB10's. Verizon paid Apple $14 Billion in damages due to slow iPhone sales. These contracts should be "Illegal".
    - The For Sale Sign was not only a mistake, it cause a mass Z10 return rate due to company uncertancy. A complete Bone Head Move. That help wreck the companies image and perception.

BB10 is by far the best. Highly expandable and future proof OS there is to date. BB10 is the companies saving grace. It's highly precious, yet people don't know it exists. Again garbage Marketing.
    Android and iOS are old dead platforms that are Anti- Expandable. Clever marketing keeps them afloat. BlackBerry can learn a thing or two.

Posted via CB10
    anon(5061193) and kbz1960 like this.
    03-19-15 05:01 PM
    I agree BlackBerry is the Culprit of there own ridiculous image issues of today.
    Delaying BB10 for over 18 months was a huge error. Unacceptable. And at the time, BlackBerry commanded over 12-15% world wide market share.
    - huge mistake not releasing the Q5 Full Touch Versions (Z5) that was in different colours directly marketed at Teenagers.
    - Marketing completely Stinks. The Entire Marketing Division should have been dumped on there Arises. BlackBerry needs to hire a company for Marketing assistance.
    - Apple / Carrier RIPOFF Contracts, help mess up potential BB10 sales. Carrier workers lying to customers and convincing them to buy crap iPhones over Superior BB10's. Verizon paid Apple $14 Billion in damages due to slow iPhone sales. These contracts should be "Illegal".
    - The For Sale Sign was not only a mistake, it cause a mass Z10 return rate due to company uncertancy. A complete Bone Head Move. That help wreck the companies image and perception.

BB10 is by far the best. Highly expandable and future proof OS there is to date. BB10 is the companies saving grace. It's highly precious, yet people don't know it exists. Again garbage Marketing.
    Android and iOS are old dead platforms that are Anti- Expandable. Clever marketing keeps them afloat. BlackBerry can learn a thing or two.
    I actually agree with the first half of your post. You did very well until you went off the rails.
    - Verizon owing Apple $14 billion was speculation. Can you provide a link that Big Red remitted payment to Apple for that amount?
    - Z10 returns were not a reaction to BlackBerry's "For Sale" sign. It was due to the restarting issue and lack of apps. The "For Sale" sign hurt the Z30's chances more than anything.
    - If BB10 is the crown jewel of BlackBerry, why hasn't their CEO sung its praises? I've never heard John Chen say he's proud of it. One would think he would do so at every opportunity he gets.
    techvisor likes this.
    03-19-15 05:25 PM

Posted via CB10
    I agree that BB10 is a great OS. But I think overall the launch of BB10 and its failure to attract developers set a dangerous precedent: it's almost suicidal to base your company's future on a new OS. This actually strengthened Android overall. Why risk anything with a new OS, when you can just get Android for free.
    techvisor likes this.
    03-19-15 05:46 PM
    The story about the Apple trade-in offer has gotten attention from major publications. Here's a link to the article in Time: http://time.com/3747796/apple-android-iphone-trade-in/
    03-19-15 08:54 PM
    You realize that the first couple quarters of the Z10, BlackBerry sold a lot and revenue shot up, right?
    You left out the part about how BBOS devices were outselling BB10 devices for I think a year after the Z10 launch, so I don't know what your point is.

I agree with this statement:

The write down occurred because they committed to make too many, made more than they could sell
    in a "water is wet" kind of way, but this:

and the device was released with 2012 Flagship specs when all the other companies were just getting ready to release the 2013 Flagships.
    is at best an over-simplification, at worst: pure conjecture in terms of explaining the Z30 modest sales (not that we have actual numbers, do we?)

They had to write it down to reposition it as an entry level device and price accordingly.
    Unsustainable business model but I think they are moving to a business model where they produce INTERESTING devices in modest volumes and sell them at a profit and are very careful with supply chain management... which means to ME that they can take more RISKS, and not concern themselves overly with trying to beat Apple and Samsung at their own game (which, if this were a marathon, the crowd would have gone home and the street cleaners would have been working for hours before BB crossed the finish line). No, BB going niche means not prioritizing "mass market" devices... but would you settle with a Galaxy S5 running BB10 released in Sept 2015? Or does it HAVE to one-up all the latest flagship devices on specs? If the latter, then well, I hope BlackBerry continues to ignore similar pleas.

The Z30 was launched in the middle of the night and right around an earnings report where the companies future looked doomed with the For Sale sign.
    Again, an excellent device that SHOULD sell because it is excellent... so... if mere excellence isn't enough to sell a device... then... putting out a full touch "excellent" device won't sell, not because the device isn't excellent, but because BB doesn't know how to market nor appeal to consumers in an abstract sense nor secure the cooperation of carriers... or for dozens of other reasons that shows BlackBerry needs to fix things in their marketing / management infrastructure before bothering with trying to live on the bleeding edge of technology?

So, what they HAVE to do is BE DIFFERENT and PKB devices do that BETTER than YAFSD (yet another full slab device). And running Android puts them in the YAFSAD (yet another full slab Android device) category, so we're back to "a full slab BB device running Android or BB10 is not going to be BlackBerry's salvation." If BlackBerry's reputation is that of being tied to PKB devices, then they should EMBRACE IT and do it VERY WELL, as the reviews of the Classic and the Passport show: EXCELLENT devices where the only criticism is usually that they aren't Android or iOS devices, and they don't have rectangular screens. Case in point: the buzz from MWC goes like this...
    blah blah blah Barcelona blah blah blah Galaxy S6 and Galaxy S6 Edge... blah blah blah lg (lowercase) blah blah BlackBerry introduces a slider blah blah Galaxy S6 some more blah blah the htc one m9 looks lacklustre blah blah. blah.

I think that sentence wouldn't have included "BlackBerry launches full slab successor to the Z30" if that had happened. EDIT OMG there was a successor to the Z30 announced, the Leap, I totally forgot. I guess you think that if the Leap had specs that rival the Galaxy S6 someone would care? I don't think they would have... maybe more than the Leap, but not enough.

Add to that the Z30 too was released with features and a price that was not in line with the market either. Love my Z30, but I bought it for $224 which is closer to what the device was worth than the launch price.
    So, you love it, and you got a great deal on it... do you love it BECAUSE it was $224? Would you love it if you paid $600? I paid $600 for mine and I LOVE it. I paid $150 for my Q5 and while it's not my daily driver it is a GREAT device highly underrated but I want the big screen so BRING ON THE SLIDER, BEST OF BOTH WORLDS!

Without launching a truly high end all touch, now with complete software and the Amazon app store, BlackBerry has no actual Apples to Apples data to see how all touch would do. I bet a full touch with Passport internals, 1080 or 1440 screen and released at same time as Passport would have blown Passport sales out of the water.
    Well, we'll agree to disagree: at risk of offending you, you may be projecting your likes onto the world, while I am using what I can find in terms of real data to support my assertions. There are too many "if only..." hindsight suggestions about how BB's prospects could improve... emphatically expressed, but not convincingly.

I did write this, and I sincerely want BB to act on that suggestion, but I don't think BlackBerry should "waste time on" developing (and testing!) a bleeding edge device with untested CPUs that might overheat (Samsung's criticism of recent Qualcomm processors) or screen technology that's possibly flaky (OLED on my Nexus S has BURN IN, piece of crap!) but if they take last years' flagship and use the same tried-and-tested components to make a Z50 that's equivalent to a Galaxy Note 4 (EDIT or even a Note 3) or a S5 or LG G3, that would be what I think would be a wise decision.

...and at the risk of being called a hypocrite, as toolbelt advocates like me have been told to "get over it" or "move on"... those of you pining for BlackBerry to release a full slab device that rivals the latest (at time of release) specs of a Samsung flagship... well... you know.
    Last edited by RyanGermann; 03-20-15 at 03:51 PM.
    03-20-15 03:17 PM
233 ... 23456 ...