04-13-15 11:59 PM
233 1234 ...
tools
    BlackBerry does it: desperate, delusional, laughable

Apple does it: "facilitating sales and encouraging upgrades"
    03-18-15 10:06 AM
    ...The rest are BlackBerry loyalists. Maybe BlackBerry should do something quick about a touch screen though, as lots of people are screaming for one.
     Posted by Passport, BlackBerry's Beast 
    Agree: I have a Z30, and would upgrade to something better (memory, CPU, camera specially) .
    Disagree: Loyalists? I don't see people rushing to buy the newest BB 10 devices. Most of time only read at this forum complains about price, camera, specs, etc etc. At first the argument was "loyalist" prefer keyboard (poor Z10 sales), so Q5 and Q10 came (poor sales also)...new argument was "we need tool belt"...so Passport and Classic arrived...more arguments "it is too big" or "it is too expensive" or "my friends mock me for using a BB phone" etc etc It is funny that some "loyalist" that are not "happy" with BB devices, in some cases go and buy a lower quality Android device, which has not keyboard, or a more expensive iPhone (they do not complain about price).
    dazzleaj and Bbnivende like this.
    03-18-15 10:10 AM
    Somewhere at Apple, they probably made the decision that if they could get someone to switch platforms at an Apple Store, they could easily accept one-device profit out of two devices - the Watch and the iPhone. After all, if someone walks out of the Apple Store with an iPhone and an Apple Watch then when either one needs to be upgraded they are much more likely to keep that person in the ecosystem.

Also, since they are now selling some pretty high-end wearables, it simply may be just a way to increase customer service by making things easier on customers who want to trade in without going on Craigslist or Gazelle or wherever.
    Last edited by early2bed; 03-18-15 at 10:24 AM.
    03-18-15 10:13 AM
    As one of that pair of WinPhone owners, I resent that! LOL

Not wanting to derail the thread, but I was intrigued to learn today that WinPhone10 will be available to install on (some) Android handsets - it overwrites the android OS with WinPhone. I can see that being the sort of try before you buy offer that some might take-up... Just to see what WinPhone is like. More than would do the irrevocable traditional kind of trade-in deal mentioned in this thread.

Back on topic, I agree with the poster above - I'm sure there are several Z10 owners out there that are disappointed that no full-touch upgrade path is available to them... and they might be tempted to take up Apple's offer.
    Unfortunately I already did. My Z10 died and BB has no suitable replacement other than a phone that is over a year old. If and when they produce a high end all touch phone i will be back. If you need to replace something you replace it with modern tech, not old tech. That being said, the iPhone took a lot of work and apps to make it function almost as well as the Z10
    03-18-15 10:22 AM
    Note: Windows Phones are apparently not invited, which ought to surprise no one, as even the brilliant minds at Apple can find no value in those devices. Pity that.
    I think that Apple didn't include WP device in his program, is good news for WP user base. BB user base will shrink and WP not.
    03-18-15 10:30 AM
    Unfortunately I already did. My Z10 died and BB has no suitable replacement other than a phone that is over a year old. If and when they produce a high end all touch phone i will be back. If you need to replace something you replace it with modern tech, not old tech. That being said, the iPhone took a lot of work and apps to make it function almost as well as the Z10
    There's some spooky dj vu here.

I was going to buy a Z10 back in 2012 when my BB9800 was on its last legs. Thor postponed it until Q1 2013, so I bought a Lumia as a stopgap. I was fully intending to come back and buy a Z10 ... but OS10.0 was rubbish, so I passed.

By the time BB got a non-rubbish OS together (10.2), I was starting to kind of like my stopgap WinPhone, and never bought that Z10. I doubt I will buy another BB now - though I do like the slider - as my investment in WinPhone ecosystem (such as it is) holds me back. And my 1520 is without doubt a powerful beast by any standard.

And that's Apple's hope too... That you'll stick with them for the ecosystem, despite your intention to return to BB.
    gebco and dolco like this.
    03-18-15 10:34 AM
    my 1520 is without doubt a powerful beast by any standard.
    That's the kind of thinking that makes me wonder why people want a 5" all touch that has better specs than the Z30. Realistically, what use case for a BlackBerry 10 device calls for higher specs? I don't personally do much on my Z10, but it plays Need 4 Speed and other games really well even with a lower end GPU than what's on the Z30. I've never really experienced any slowness or other performance annoyances on the Z10 and I am one to be annoyed by such things. So it makes me genuinely curious why a Z30, even today, isn't good enough for people. What are those people doing to need better specs? My guess is that it's a want issue and not a need issue.

I hear ya on the 10.0 release of the BB10. I kept my 9900 for a year after the Z10 released and ended up going to an HTC One for a day - long enough discover that every app wanted to spy... So I traded it for a Z10. After 10 months I picked up a Q10, because I couldn't take the touch screen keyboard any more. Even though I didn't buy the Q10 at launch, because wanted the trackpad, I would rather had a Q10 than the bloody enormous Classic. Why did they have to make it Fisher Price huge instead of the same size as the 9900...

Anyhow, I like the Q10 for communications and the Z10 makes a decent tablet. However, keep in mind that I don't use Android apps on my BlackBerry, nor do I use any of those "social networking" things. Personally, I think people who use those things as their primary use of the device should buy an Android, because it's the right tool for the job - on a BlackBerry, Android apps are just a tacked on feature. BlackBerry native and Android ported apps seem to run just fine to me on BlackBerry 10. It's sort of the same thing as how I will boot to Windows to play a Windows based game, because even though the game can run in Linux using Wine, the game will always run much better in Windows. Shocking, eh? Lol...
    03-18-15 11:01 AM
    It will work to some degree. This combined with BlackBerry not offering what folks want. Ignoring the demand for a virtual keyboard high end unit.., BlackBerry 's clear anti-consumer attitude.

I know I will be seeing what it offers but right now the S6 and M9 may be my BlackBerry 's undoing.

Add this to Chen wanting to put BB10 features on IOS and Droid phones it could be a perfect storm that will completely kill off the BlackBerry handset division.

BlackBerry hates America!
    kbz1960 and techvisor like this.
    03-18-15 11:22 AM
    Apple's choke hold? On what? Android has over 70% of the mobile market share. Now that Sony is out of the "ridiculously over priced and not worth the money" laptop market, I guess Apple does have the upper hand in that market. But phones? Apple has already been beaten, handily.

Of course Apple is scared of BlackBerry and Windows Phone 10. Even a 5% shift in over all market share would effectively reduce Apple's place in the market by roughly 25%.

Posted via CB10
    Yep. The number 1 maker of smartphones and one of the richest/largest cash rich companies in the world is shaking in their boots over BlackBerry.

Not...

eyesopen1111, JeepBB and techvisor like this.
    03-18-15 11:25 AM
    BlackBerry does it: desperate, delusional, laughable

Apple does it: "facilitating sales and encouraging upgrades"
    That's a reflection of where each company is coming from, most likely.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    techvisor likes this.
    03-18-15 11:33 AM
    I know a lot of people are screaming for an all touch frankly I have been wanting one to replace my Z30 (used to have the Z10) however the new slider has me very intrigued as it doesn't look any thicker than my Z30 and if it has good specs I am for sure going to get one as really I don't need to use the keyboard if I don't want to but hey it is there if I want it. In short I think I am starting to come around to the concept of the slider and can see why they are pushing that over the all touch for now as it is really an all touch with a bonus keyboard instead of having to go and buy one like apple users have to.
    +1, If there is no flagship all touch device when my Z30 is worn out, I'll have to look for an alternative somewhere else... again.
    03-18-15 11:37 AM
    Are many Classic/Passport owners going to be drawn by this offer? Not likely. That leaves the rest of the lineup that won't fetch much from this offer. Lets say a Z10 fetches $40 and Z30 $80, doubt that means much either way whether someone goes Iphone or not.
    Bbnivende likes this.
    03-18-15 11:43 AM
    I am one of those people clamoring for a Z50 but I am not interested in an Iphone, apple watch, or apple tv - I don't even use itunes. Will definitely not be trading in my Z10 for anything apple. The Z10 still works great.
    03-18-15 11:54 AM
    Yep. The number 1 maker of smartphones and one of the richest/largest cash rich companies in the world is shaking in their boots over BlackBerry.

Not...

http://www.idc.com/prodserv/smartphone-market-share.jsp

Facts. Why dwell on them?

On a single company level, Samsung has more users than Apple. On the whole, 80% of smart phone users do not use an Apple. The iPhone isn't as popular as your imagination tells you.
    03-18-15 11:56 AM
    I'll be looking at WP. Seems to be getting where everyone else wants to be but hasn't done it yet or can't.
    03-18-15 12:05 PM
    ...As for the dig at Windows Phone not being invited to the party... why bother???? everyone is up and arms when someone says something snarky about BB but seems to be fine to dump on WP and other brands..... as with BB they have their hardcore fan base.... so why insult them when BB takes such issues being insulted... seems all very childish....
    Why do I bother? Thug Life!
    Somewhere at Apple, they probably made the decision that if they could get someone to switch platforms at an Apple Store, they could easily accept one-device profit out of two devices - the Watch and the iPhone. After all, if someone walks out of the Apple Store with an iPhone and an Apple Watch then when either one needs to be upgraded they are much more likely to keep that person in the ecosystem.

Also, since they are now selling some pretty high-end wearables, it simply may be just a way to increase customer service by making things easier on customers who want to trade in without going on Craigslist or Gazelle or wherever.
    Except for the fact that I don't think that the rumored discount would cost Apple quite as much as you do, I agree that Apple's endgame is to capture all the future profit that the captured customers represent. Apple bragged at the Apple Watch event that the iPhone 6 and 6+ have a near perfect 99% customer satisfaction rating. So Apple knows that if you walk out of their store with an iPhone and Apple Watch in your hand, they will likely have you for life because it will be the best phone/device experience you've ever had, and statistically, few people defect from Apple. In fact, since the Apple store itself is one of nicest stores around, plus great service and products, just getting people to come in is a selling point right there.

Since that's what the numbers tell Apple, why shouldn't they offer a potential customer a face-saving exchange of their old device while simultaneously giving them a financial incentive to switch? High price of Apple products is often the REAL reason some people don't have Apples in the first place. Because of those people and many other types as well, I think millions would jump at the chance if Apple makes this sort of cost saving offer because the barriers to switching are diminished.
    I think that Apple didn't include WP device in his program, is good news for WP user base. BB user base will shrink and WP not.
    Ultimately, I think the article's failure to mention Windows Phone as being included in the Apple offer will be an oversight, and Apple will extend the offer to WP customers as well. I was just cracking jokes when I teased about WP being excluded because of low desirability, though it is kinda a rubbish OS IMHO. Stephen Elop killed a once great Nokia by bringing that cr*p OS onto Nokia hardware and took them from the global top-selling smartphone to its current sad state of affairs at about 2.7%. http://redmondmag.com/articles/2014/...lined.aspx?m=1
    03-18-15 12:11 PM
    Ultimately, I think the article's failure to mention Windows Phone as being included in the Apple offer will be an oversight, and Apple will extend the offer to WP customers as well.
    I think it may not be an oversight. Apple may have excluded Windows Phone due to the low ASP of the prices. The devices have no trade in value.

The other possible reason is that Apple has better relations with Microsoft due to cross patent licensing agreements than Google and Blackberry. Siri is powered by Bing and I've lost count how many Android OEMs Apple has sued.

Finally, Apple is really big on aesthetics/"design patents" and likely perceives OSes like BB10 and Android to be iOS copycats. Windows Phone looks drastically different and adheres to a bunch of arbitrary Apple GUI stipulations from negotiations. For example horizontal scrolling in the app menu a GUI aspect Microsoft agreed to not use.
    Last edited by sentimentGX4; 03-18-15 at 12:27 PM.
    eyesopen1111 likes this.
    03-18-15 12:14 PM
    Why do people go to Apple Stores when you can easily try out a friend's iPhone and buy it online with free shipping? Because sometimes people are in the mood to buy right now. The Apple Watch probably works well as an impulse buy - the customer is wearing the watch in the store and feeling the personal connection. But, they are using an Android phone right now. No problem. Just trade it in and walk out both.

I'll bet it even decreases returns because you probably can't get your trade-in back so what are you going to use as a phone?
    eyesopen1111 likes this.
    03-18-15 12:18 PM
    Apple bragged at the Apple Watch event that the iPhone 6 and 6+ have a near perfect 99% customer satisfaction rating. So Apple knows that if you walk out of their store with an iPhone and Apple Watch in your hand, they will likely have you for life

High price of Apple products is often the REAL reason some people don't have Apples in the first place. Because of those people and many other types as well, I think millions would jump at the chance if Apple makes this sort of cost saving offer because the barriers to switching are diminished.
    Absolutely!

Here in Canada, even on a 2 year (or 3-4 year in the past) contract, an iPhone can cost $250 or more. For a lot people, that's too tough of a pill to swallow. For $250 you can buy a pretty decent WP8 or Android device (and even a BlackBerry Z30 on sale) and not have a contract at all. But I think most folks in Canada figure they're going to have the phone anyway, so they may as well get either a free upgrade or one that's something around $50 to $100 on contract, tops. Those are the people Apple could nab with a trade in deal for sure, provided they're not already happy with what they have.

Here's the bottom like, WebOS/Meego/Tizen/Firefox/Ubuntu, BlackBerry 10, Windows Phone 7/8/10, Android, and iOS are all quite capable of delivering a solid and enjoyable end user experience. They all have functional Uis and a plethora of features we could only dream of 20 years ago. What makes one device better than another ends up being how the user uses the device.

For just standard stuff like email, messaging, snapping pics and video, and browsing the web, any of them will be enough to make a person happy. It's when we start getting into specific use cases that certain devices and operating system start to stand out.

Want a keyboard? Use a BlackBerry. Want a lot of good "apps", use an iPhone or Android. Want a waterproof phone with good build quality? Buy an Xperia.

Each person has his/her preferences and that's great - our diversity is our strength!

Personally, I was waiting for the Classic, but when I saw how huge it was I went and got a Q10. Even the Q10 is bigger than what I wanted, but it's manageable. That's literally why I have a Q10 and while I am sure it seems silly to some people, it's important to me. I tried an all touch for a daily driver over several months and decided I didn't like it. All touch as a toy is fine for me, but not as a communications device, especially when busy. You may feel differently and that's great - be different!
    03-18-15 12:42 PM
    I have a Lumia 930 as my work phone and all it does is remind me how good my Z30 is.
    Fell in love with BB10 (Z10 on 10.2.1 - ok, fell in love except for the battery life!) never having had a BlackBerry before. Bought a Z30 which I love for the battery life as well as BB10 but the size of the Z10 is just so much better for me. If BlackBerry were to announce an octo-core Z10 with a 24-hour battery I'd be saying "Shut up and take my money"!
    gebco likes this.
    03-18-15 12:46 PM
    BlackBerry is no longer interested in providing what customers want.

They are too busy with their misguided perceptions of expecting that enterprise software will save their bacon.

Posted via CB10
    So... get an apple or 'droid if you feel that way. Me, I hope to get a Passport soon, due to upgrade

Posted via CB10
    03-18-15 12:50 PM
    Seems like to me that Apple is getting nervous about BlackBerry and Samsung working together...that's what happens when one company gets too greedy. The bigger they are the harder they fall.

Posted via CB10
    03-18-15 12:55 PM

On a single company level, Samsung has more users than Apple. On the whole, 80% of smart phone users do not use an Apple. The iPhone isn't as popular as your imagination tells you.
    Even your IDC link shows Apple in a virtual tie for first place as the leading smartphone manufacturer in the world! Plus, Apple is far and away the leading smartphone manufacturer in the USA. http://www.comscore.com/Insights/Mar...r-Market-Share

Apple is a luxury brand, so of course fewer people globally can afford Apple products than can afford cheap Androids/Windows Phones/ BlackBerries. But a userbase composed of non- affluent people doesn't produce the same impact as a userbase composed of affluent people. This is one explanation as to why developers prefer coding for iOS and why Apple gets so much more cooperation from other major companies than most competitors do.
    I think it may not be an oversight....
    Great ideas. I could also see Apple taking mercy on Micro$oft out of consideration of the bailout that Gates/M$ provided that kept Apple alive.
    Why do people go to Apple Stores when you can easily try out a friend's iPhone and buy it online with free shipping? Because sometimes people are in the mood to buy right now. The Apple Watch probably works well as an impulse buy - the customer is wearing the watch in the store and feeling the personal connection. But, they are using an Android phone right now. No problem. Just trade it in and walk out both.

I'll bet it even decreases returns because you probably can't get your trade-in back so what are you going to use as a phone?
    I'm a guy who likes the in-store experience at the Apple store, and not everyone has a friend with an iPhone. But apart from that, I agree with everything you wrote.
    Last edited by eyesopen1111; 03-18-15 at 01:08 PM.
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    03-18-15 12:56 PM

It's not my imagination. Do done unbiased research.

Manufacture vs manufacture. Samsung vs Apple. Apple is eating Sammys lunch. And that's a fact supported by several published indicators.

techvisor and MarsupilamiX like this.
    03-18-15 12:57 PM
    Going to guess that this "trade in credit" will be laughably low. I wouldn't trade my Q straight up for an iPhone, let alone give them my Q and then pay $600 on top of it for one.

Posted via CB10
    gebco likes this.
    03-18-15 12:59 PM
233 1234 ...