04-14-15 12:59 AM
233 123 ...
tools
    Are you irritated that there's no BlackBerry flagship all-touch? Or maybe it's creepy Google that has you climbing the walls? Well, your friends at Apple feel your pain and are willing to part with some of their hard-earned cash to make it easier for you to get yourself into a new iPhone 6 or 6+. Exit strategy, here you come.

That's right, Apple is rumored to be launching yet another trade-in plan for your BlackBerry or Android smartphones, because, uhm, why not??? Here's a link to the story: Apple will pay you to ditch your Android or BlackBerry smartphone - The Inquirer

Note: Windows Phones are apparently not invited, which ought to surprise no one, as even the brilliant minds at Apple can find no value in those devices. Pity that.

No details yet on what amounts various phones will be offered at trade, but I figure Apple doesn't have to offer too much to convince those who may be looking to leave their current ecosystem.

How do you guys think this promotion will impact BlackBerry at this stage of the game?
    lado1991 and redsaph like this.
    03-18-15 07:01 AM
    I think most people that were going to leave have already left. The rest are BlackBerry loyalists. Maybe BlackBerry should do something quick about a touch screen though, as lots of people are screaming for one.

 Posted by Passport, BlackBerry's Beast 
    03-18-15 07:07 AM
    I think most people that were going to leave have already left. The rest are BlackBerry loyalists. Maybe BlackBerry should do something quick about a touch screen though, as lots of people are screaming for one.

BlackBerry is no longer interested in providing what customers want.

They are too busy with their misguided perceptions of expecting that enterprise software will save their bacon.

Posted via CB10
    tryfe, rai187, gebco and 4 others like this.
    03-18-15 07:18 AM
    Smells of desperation IMO. Apple is great at seeing trends before they happen and maybe apple is seeing themselves loosing the choke hold they have / had and are trying to turn that around.

Will be nice if I'm right and to watch the sheep eat crow .

 Posted using my powerful BlackBerry Z30 
    RazzBerry and quikchip like this.
    03-18-15 07:22 AM

They are too busy with their misguided perceptions of expecting that enterprise software will save their bacon.

Posted via CB10
    mmmm...bacon

 Posted via Z10 
    03-18-15 07:25 AM

I agree that many have left, but there are still many BlackBerry owners on this forum or otherwise who were waiting in hopes of a flagship all-touch Z-series replacement. Any of those who aren't interested in waiting even longer on the Slider may be open to Apple's offer. Z10's, Q10's and Z30's are getting old, so some people might just need a new phone.

Actually, I could see a bunch of high-end Android users migrating Apple's way once they figure out that they can jailbreak the iPhone and have both the great walled garden iOS ecosystem and the customization freedoms that rooting brings...
    JeepBB likes this.
    03-18-15 07:25 AM
    There are a surprising number of people who are interested in the Apple Watch who don't use iPhones. This is a way to facilitate sales of both in the Apple Stores and to encourage upgrades from older iPhone models.
    jmr1015 likes this.
    03-18-15 08:02 AM
    The lack of a flag-ship All-Touch phone and with no announced plans for one in the future is not helping to win over or even keep current all touch Blackberry fans happy. I'm good with my Z30 for now and for the considerable future, i think its an underrated phone but it barely sold and there is no way i'm going to downgrade to the Leap. Just not going to happen. I'm not impressed with any of their other phones. Can't see myself using a hideous slider or the PP or the under-powered Classic.

But I can say I'm not in anyway tempted to switch to any Crapple product. Not then, Not now.
    03-18-15 08:10 AM

Posted via CB10
    You should jump on that offer if you haven't already.

Posted via CB10
    03-18-15 08:30 AM
    I wonder how many more add posts apple will place in the BlackBerry and android forums to try and win back customers they are looking to other platforms.

This to me seems obvious to be a marketing company with the original post and the conversation by what seems to be the same firm talking to each other.

Going back to my first post, very desperate move on apples part.

03-18-15 08:34 AM
    There are a surprising number of people who are interested in the Apple Watch who don't use iPhones. This is a way to facilitate sales of both in the Apple Stores and to encourage upgrades from older iPhone models.
    I agree that lots of people are interested in either or both of the Apple Watch and the iPhone, but I'm not sure how well it'd work to have an Apple Watch but no iPhone, since they announced that many of the watch's functions rely on the iPhone connection. We'll see soon.
    03-18-15 08:36 AM
    I agree that lots of people are interested in either or both of the Apple Watch and the iPhone, but I'm not sure how well it'd work to have an Apple Watch but no iPhone, since they announced that many of the watch's functions rely on the iPhone connection. We'll see soon.
    "You are absolutely right. If you wish to trade in your existing smartphone I can offer you a credit and you can get a new iPhone today and set it up for you right now."
    eyesopen1111 likes this.
    03-18-15 08:46 AM
    "Note: Windows Phones are apparently not invited, which ought to surprise no one, as even the brilliant minds at Apple can find no value in those devices. Pity that."

Ouch!!! all of the Windows phone users out will be upset about that comment, probably both of them.....lol
    eyesopen1111 likes this.
    03-18-15 08:48 AM
    I wonder how many more add posts apple will place in the BlackBerry and android forums to try and win back customers they are looking to other platforms.

This to me seems obvious to be a marketing company with the original post and the conversation by what seems to be the same firm talking to each other.

Going back to my first post, very desperate move on apples part.

Dude, I'm the OP and I am not a marketing firm, nor do I work for Apple. You may be suffering from a frequent Crackberry paranoid delusion about Apple's wicked plot to God-knows-what!?!

One thing is for sure, and that's that Apple continues to have monster quarter after monster quarter, so they are the furthest thing from desperate imaginable. In fact, if you're looking for desperate, BlackBerry's last several years and current agenda might be a good starting point.
    03-18-15 08:49 AM
    Would like to see how are they going to do it. Hope they will do it by means of store credit. Instead of requiring to trade plus cash for the new iPhone. Would love to use it for Apple TV or Apps store.
    03-18-15 09:34 AM
    Dude, I'm the OP and I am not a marketing firm, nor do I work for Apple. You may be suffering from a frequent Crackberry paranoid delusion about Apple's wicked plot to God-knows-what!?!

One thing is for sure, and that's that Apple continues to have monster quarter after monster quarter, so they are the furthest thing from desperate imaginable. In fact, if you're looking for desperate, BlackBerry's last several years and current agenda might be a good starting point.
    Eeeew! Salt.
    03-18-15 09:44 AM
    They should of launched the passport, a high end touch and then the slider. The leap really. I kind of hope people do leave. I guess they never learn from mistakes made in the past.
    devin266 likes this.
    03-18-15 09:50 AM
    "Note: Windows Phones are apparently not invited, which ought to surprise no one, as even the brilliant minds at Apple can find no value in those devices. Pity that."

Ouch!!! all of the Windows phone users out will be upset about that comment, probably both of them.....lol
    As one of that pair of WinPhone owners, I resent that! LOL

Not wanting to derail the thread, but I was intrigued to learn today that WinPhone10 will be available to install on (some) Android handsets - it overwrites the android OS with WinPhone. I can see that being the sort of try before you buy offer that some might take-up... Just to see what WinPhone is like. More than would do the irrevocable traditional kind of trade-in deal mentioned in this thread.

Back on topic, I agree with the poster above - I'm sure there are several Z10 owners out there that are disappointed that no full-touch upgrade path is available to them... and they might be tempted to take up Apple's offer.
    Jimberry Storm likes this.
    03-18-15 10:00 AM

Actually, the funniest part of that statement is that a Blackberry owner would dare to comment about the number of users of any other phone OS, including Windows.
    Signed a happy Windows phone owner. Third in sales and with a bright future ahead.
    03-18-15 10:05 AM
    What I think BB has learned while focusing on the Enterprise market is that there are not enough "bleeding edge" types who want the flagship phones. As the business is making money.. maybe BB figured out what many have tagged... " it's about productivity,,,, not toys".... the vocal minority who clamour for new and greater specs really should go wade in the Android pond as that is where there hearts desire is best represented... Flagship and specs... their two favourite words... Cannot see Apple or BB being their cup of tea as neither really focuses on specs...

As for the dig at Windows Phone not being invited to the party... why bother???? everyone is up and arms when someone says something snarky about BB but seems to be fine to dump on WP and other brands..... as with BB they have their hardcore fan base.... so why insult them when BB takes such issues being insulted... seems all very childish....
    03-18-15 10:35 AM
    Smells of desperation IMO. Apple is great at seeing trends before they happen and maybe apple is seeing themselves loosing the choke hold they have / had and are trying to turn that around.

Will be nice if I'm right and to watch the sheep eat crow .

Apple's choke hold? On what? Android has over 70% of the mobile market share. Now that Sony is out of the "ridiculously over priced and not worth the money" laptop market, I guess Apple does have the upper hand in that market. But phones? Apple has already been beaten, handily.

Of course Apple is scared of BlackBerry and Windows Phone 10. Even a 5% shift in over all market share would effectively reduce Apple's place in the market by roughly 25%.

Posted via CB10
    toneytone likes this.
    03-18-15 10:52 AM
    I know a lot of people are screaming for an all touch frankly I have been wanting one to replace my Z30 (used to have the Z10) however the new slider has me very intrigued as it doesn't look any thicker than my Z30 and if it has good specs I am for sure going to get one as really I don't need to use the keyboard if I don't want to but hey it is there if I want it. In short I think I am starting to come around to the concept of the slider and can see why they are pushing that over the all touch for now as it is really an all touch with a bonus keyboard instead of having to go and buy one like apple users have to.
    dazzleaj and Thunderbuck like this.
    03-18-15 10:53 AM

I know a lot of people are screaming for an all touch frankly I have been wanting one to replace my Z30 (used to have the Z10) however the new slider has me very intrigued as it doesn't look any thicker than my Z30 and if it has good specs I am for sure going to get one as really I don't need to use the keyboard if I don't want to but hey it is there if I want it. In short I think I am starting to come around to the concept of the slider and can see why they are pushing that over the all touch for now as it is really an all touch with a bonus keyboard instead of having to go and buy one like apple users have to.
    dazzleaj and nolimits7 like this.
    03-18-15 10:54 AM

In fairness man, as pathetic as it is, there are companies that specialize in doing exactly what he said, so he's not paranoid.

Random example,

http://maximizesocialmedia.com/services/

Posted via CB10
    jegs2 likes this.
    03-18-15 11:02 AM
    Apple's choke hold? On what? Android has over 70% of the mobile market share. Now that Sony is out of the "ridiculously over priced and not worth the money" laptop market, I guess Apple does have the upper hand in that market. But phones? Apple has already been beaten, handily.

Of course Apple is scared of BlackBerry and Windows Phone 10. Even a 5% shift in over all market share would effectively reduce Apple's place in the market by roughly 25%.

Posted via CB10
    ...and here again,...its worth remembering Apple already makes 93% of ALL of the profit in smartphones. So it hardly seems worth their effort to go after the middle and lower ends where Blackberry and Windows Phone live.

As another poster pointed out, this is about selling watches. Blackberry's market share is hardly worth consideration.
    eyesopen1111 and techvisor like this.
    03-18-15 11:02 AM
233 123 ...