10-19-11 09:10 AM
36 12
tools
    Have a look at the Wall Street Journal article..... [Apple Misses on Earnings, Revenue, iPhone Sales, Stock Tanks]: Apple Misses on Earnings, Revenue, iPhone Sales, Stock Tanks - MarketBeat - WSJ

Opportunity for RIM?
    10-18-11 03:38 PM
    Have a look at the Wall Street Journal article..... [Apple Misses on Earnings, Revenue, iPhone Sales, Stock Tanks]: Apple Misses on Earnings, Revenue, iPhone Sales, Stock Tanks - MarketBeat - WSJ

Opportunity for RIM?
    Absolutely not. Only a prayer to god and baby Jesus might help RIM at the moment.
    10-18-11 03:41 PM
    I don't think earnings reports really have any direct relation to opportunities for competitors...
    10-18-11 03:41 PM
    Nah, the stock is slowly climbing back up.
    10-18-11 03:43 PM

Opportunity for RIM?
    No. People need to stop looking at mistakes by other companies as an opportunity to gain some steam. If they want to truly be a leader again, they need to actually innovate, not just pick up the pieces from someone else' missed opportunity.
    Chrisy likes this.
    10-18-11 03:49 PM
    RIM misses earnings: Months of bad press, stock tanks, the masses and media declare the death of RIM, sky is falling, RIM on the verge of bankruptcy.

Apple misses earnings: Analysis expectations were unreasonably high. Not even Apple could meet their expectations. To say analysts were "overly optimistic" is a gross understatement.

What a world.
    ekv likes this.
    10-18-11 03:55 PM
    Absolutely not. Only a prayer to god and baby Jesus might help RIM at the moment.
    Well as a Blackbery fan, might give that a try anyways

I don't think earnings reports really have any direct relation to opportunities for competitors...
    Consider though that the company missed its iPhone sales targets by around 3million units. Thats 3,000,000.....no small change there, causing earnings to miss expectations by a good $1bn+.

Also, Apple have historically outperformed market expectations when it comes to both earnings and sales, so by throwing in management changes and investor doubts about the quality of the vision and business strategy execution going forward, it doesn't paint all that rosy a picture.

BBX is also clearly showing itself to have the potentially to match and exceed iOS and Android in the coming months to year and a half, especially given all the additions and work we've heard of today (especially the TAT work, native NDK, Cloud functionality via NewBay, Android apps, etc.)

Nah, the stock is slowly climbing back up.
    Haven't caught that bit yet. Only just saw the ticker live on CNBC a second ago, then saw the WSJ article straight after, so not seen the play-by-play on the stock price......
    sf49ers likes this.
    10-18-11 03:58 PM
    RIM misses earnings: Months of bad press, stock tanks, the masses and media declare the death of RIM, sky is falling, RIM on the verge of bankruptcy.

Apple misses earnings: Analysis expectations were unreasonably high. Not even Apple could meet their expectations. To say analysts were "overly optimistic" is a gross understatement.

What a world.
    RIM missed lowered EPS

APPL missed raised EPS

Big difference
    Shlooky, Chrisy and kevinnugent like this.
    10-18-11 03:58 PM

What a world.
    I wholeheartedly agree on that one. Its not to say that RIM haven't caused alot of their own headaches recently, but the massive gap between reality and what is actually going on at RIM is shown in the clear light of day when a RIM representative has to show slides at DevCon to throw out the myths that are perpetuated out there about the Blackberr platform and RIM's overall success.

Coverage on the two companies is not even handed or at all balanced.
    quik4life and ekv like this.
    10-18-11 04:02 PM
    all I can say is that this is just the beginning of Apple's worries.
    maddie1128, ekv and Wretch 12 like this.
    10-18-11 04:11 PM
    I agree. The halo effect is waning.
    maddie1128 and ekv like this.
    10-18-11 04:28 PM
    The world is coming to an end!
    10-18-11 04:30 PM
    They sold more iPads and Macs durring this quarter and less iPhones.

I can see this having to do with everyone knowing and expecting a new iPhone. I'm sure people were getting tired of the 3GS and 4 as the only options.

We'll see what happens next I guess. 17 million iPhones is still a crazy amount to sell right before you release the new model. 4 million now in a weekend, lets see how many have sold by the end of the holiday season, if there is sufficient stock.

It still is not good. $28 billion isn't cutting it anymore...
    10-18-11 04:34 PM
    W
    Consider though that the company missed its iPhone sales targets by around 3million units. Thats 3,000,000.....no small change there, causing earnings to miss expectations by a good $1bn+.

Also, Apple have historically outperformed market expectations when it comes to both earnings and sales, so by throwing in management changes and investor doubts about the quality of the vision and business strategy execution going forward, it doesn't paint all that rosy a picture.

BBX is also clearly showing itself to have the potentially to match and exceed iOS and Android in the coming months to year and a half, especially given all the additions and work we've heard of today (especially the TAT work, native NDK, Cloud functionality via NewBay, Android apps, etc.)
    People don't exactly buy apple products because they are the "most" feature packed or best UI anyways though... They buy it because of stuff like ubiquity and easy development (lack of hardware fragmentation) = a lot of apps and priority. Also the general OS smoothness is still more consistent than Android currently.

Apple probably has the single most static, uncustomizable and simple UI out of any major mobile OS, but that's not why people buy it.
    10-18-11 04:41 PM
    I've played around on a friend's iphone just to see what I've been missing. There must be some sort of kool-aid I haven't drank because I just don't see any advantages over my Torch. In fact, I like my e-mail capabilities and the small selection of apps I have that I actually use better than "Angry Birds".

The same goes for the 4G android phones I've played with: aside from the faster web browsing and storage for music files etc.. I just don't see a reason to upgrade.
    luna9698 likes this.
    10-18-11 05:05 PM

What a world.
    RIM doesn't have more money that the US government. There's a big difference between a floundering company on the brink of collapse and a company that has outsold the competition time and time again. Apple misses their earning mark? It's not a big deal, really it's not.
    10-18-11 05:23 PM
    Yo might be right. Without Steve Jobs at the helm there is without a doubt uncertainty in Apple's future. We'll just have to wait and see.
    10-18-11 05:27 PM
    I've played around on a friend's iphone just to see what I've been missing. There must be some sort of kool-aid I haven't drank because I just don't see any advantages over my Torch. In fact, I like my e-mail capabilities and the small selection of apps I have that I actually use better than "Angry Birds".

The same goes for the 4G android phones I've played with: aside from the faster web browsing and storage for music files etc.. I just don't see a reason to upgrade.
    There's a difference with playing with and actually owning and using iOS and Android products. From what you wrote you really know nothing about either platform.
    10-18-11 05:30 PM
    There's a difference with playing with and actually owning and using iOS and Android products. From what you wrote you really know nothing about either platform.
    Fair enough. I didn't post a review of iOS or Android here, just stating that in my limited experience (which I imagine is more than the average shopper spends at the store before making a purchase) I haven't found anything to jump for joy about. I humbly accept the possibility that I may be wrong.
    10-18-11 05:53 PM
    With the numbers Apple puts out (in revenue, profit, and margins), I don't think they are worrying.

Opportunity for RIM? Not in their current position; in fact RIM probably rather be in their spot right now: "Oh no, only $28 billion dollars instead of $29 billion...."

RIM's better focusing on improving and finishing up their transition, then they need to effectively market (something they just haven't hit lately)
    10-18-11 06:08 PM
    Lets see earnings drop for Apple no phones released during that time.....whoopdie doo....

I am going into BB fanboy mode now.....

Put's on crackberry shirt okay wait until next quarter went the new phones are counted in.........
    10-18-11 06:16 PM
    There's a big difference between a floundering company on the brink of collapse and a company that has outsold the competition time and time again.
    RIM is on the brink of collapse? They must be losing subscribers and have massive debt!

Oh, wait. They're gaining subscribers and have no debt. So ... I guess they built their corporate office over a sink-hole?
    10-18-11 06:31 PM

What a world.
    That's what happens when you revise your guidance downward and still miss it; shareholders lose trust. It's one of the reasons why RIMM is stuck in the low 20s.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-18-11 06:43 PM
    Apple misses earnings expectations. The world as we know it is ending.
    10-18-11 10:12 PM
    I wish I had a $84 BILLION in the bank type trouble.
    10-18-11 10:39 PM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD