12-18-13 06:26 AM
30 12
tools
    Sigh..

MPs will soon have choice between iPhone and BlackBerry - Politics - CBC News

On the bright side .. the policy states that the devices must be used only for gov't business so what would be the point of getting an iphone if you can't use the apps? I predict most MP's will stick with BBRY anyhow due to the optics of not supporting a Canadian company.
    Last edited by BBZ10wannabe; 12-13-13 at 04:01 PM. Reason: got over my depressed thoughts to add commentary
    12-13-13 03:41 PM
    Fail for the government.

Tapped out on Halle (Black)Berry aka Z10STL100-3 running 10.2.0.1803
    rai187 and angieberry10 like this.
    12-13-13 03:49 PM
    That's all you got is sigh?

From our Rules....

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums

Copy/Paste of Articles - Blatant copy/paste of articles from outside sources with no additional commentary is strictly prohibited. Failure to include your own original thoughts or relevant feedback is discouraged. Blatant copy/paste offenders will receive a warning or infraction.

I'm not going to nail you BUT, you got to give us a little more than SIGH!
    BCITMike and avt123 like this.
    12-13-13 03:49 PM
    12-13-13 03:52 PM
    That's all you got is sigh?

From our Rules....

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums

Copy/Paste of Articles - Blatant copy/paste of articles from outside sources with no additional commentary is strictly prohibited. Failure to include your own original thoughts or relevant feedback is discouraged. Blatant copy/paste offenders will receive a warning or infraction.

I'm not going to nail you BUT, you got to give us a little more than SIGH!
    My apologies. I didn't know that rule but honestly, what else is there to say. I was just sharing some news that I thought people here might be interested in. Clearly I am not happy about this news.
    ssbtech likes this.
    12-13-13 03:54 PM
    President Obama uses blackberry for security reasons. Canadian gov can use iPhone. Something not clicking there somehow.

Posted via CB10
    CDM76, m1kr0, rai187 and 1 others like this.
    12-13-13 07:44 PM
    Great way to support a Canadian company. Freaking Cdn gov. Unbelievable. Not impressed. Hope the guys with bb10 devices have the Z30 and no issues!!! Then the others will be jealous!!!!!

Maybe our media would "shame" all those supporting non Cdn jobs. Oh wait. The media hates BlackBerry more than anyone.

What a crock.

Posted via CB10
    Signhere, rai187 and Intense Soul like this.
    12-13-13 08:42 PM
    Well, I guess my post got deleted due to copy of the source article that indicated 3 Q Corp purchase of devices increased > 30%, due to possibly both difficulty of IT mgr as well as security concerns. Tide might be turning soon away from byod.
    You can check m.cio.com under byod blog if you wish.

Posted via CB10
    12-13-13 09:02 PM
    Classic Harper move, release possible bad news on a Friday, after work, lol. I'm so proud to be Canadian right now. Um I mean American. No wait, Canadian.
    Last edited by playboldbook; 12-13-13 at 10:21 PM.
    CDM76 likes this.
    12-13-13 10:09 PM
    Eh... By no longer making BlackBerry the only choice 'by rule', they're basically setting themselves up to (1) show support to a Canadian company by staying 'loyal' to BlackBerry and (2) show that even in the face of competition, BlackBerry devices are still worthy of being 'preferred' by them... all of that without having to do anything other than not switch.

Sweet gig if you ask me.

Posted via CB10
    12-13-13 11:00 PM
    Good for the Canadian government because now the NSA will have an easier time to snoop on every member who uses an iPhone! Tell that to Mr. Obama who is not allowed to use an iPhone due to security reasons.

Posted via CB10
    stlabrat likes this.
    12-13-13 11:39 PM
    Good for the Canadian government because now the NSA will have an easier time to snoop on every member who uses an iPhone! Tell that to Mr. Obama who is not allowed to use an iPhone due to security reasons.

Posted via CB10
    Yeah, eyePhone = spyPhone

Posted via CB10
    12-14-13 04:49 AM
    It's not about security, the iPhone unfortunately looks more appealing cosmetically to these old heads compared to bland ol' BlackBerry. Quite possibly most of them on BBOS and inching for a more visibly modern OS.
    Mark my words, those uninformed will choose iPhones

Posted via CB10
    12-14-13 05:58 AM
    Sigh..

MPs will soon have choice between iPhone and BlackBerry - Politics - CBC News
    On the bright side .. the policy states that the devices must be used only for gov't business so what would be the point of getting an iphone if you can't use the apps? I predict most MP's will stick with BBRY anyhow due to the optics of not supporting a Canadian company.
    Guys, please use some positive thinking (and justified reasons) when you write such "drama" oriented title.
    Ok, what's behind BYOD/MDM when any org is using BlackBerry devices ?
    BES
    What is mandatory for non BB-device before they can be used (even degraded) in such scheme ?
    CALs

What's the price of BES10 BB CALs ?
    $19
    What's the price of BES10 iOs CALs ?
    $99

Mister chief of Canadian [whatever], given the states of BlackBerry sales right now, I would like to thank you for bringing these flanged smartphones and tablets into BlackBerry's secured containers and let their users discover ho much they could gain using a BB10 device and enjoy Balance

Hey, give a wisle ! (and while at it, get a free French lesson ! )
    BlackBerry Guy and m1kr0 like this.
    12-14-13 08:07 AM
    To the positive thinkers in this thread. I get what you are saying, but if you read the article it sounds like the Can. Gov. is giving the people the choice, not "here is the new phone we are giving you ". So you will see people go for the more expensive phone, because they are not paying for it, the government is. And they will care less that it also costs more to maintain on the BES system.

Now what is better for BlackBerry, to have phones out in the wild or getting more money for supporting non BlackBerry phones? That is a question that can be debated. But one thing is certain, if it is my tax money buying these phones they can damn well be made by a Can. Company if that choice exists, which right now it does.
    12-14-13 09:11 AM
    To the positive thinkers in this thread. I get what you are saying, but if you read the article it sounds like the Can. Gov. is giving the people the choice, not "here is the new phone we are giving you ". So you will see people go for the more expensive phone, because they are not paying for it, the government is. And they will care less that it also costs more to maintain on the BES system.

Now what is better for BlackBerry, to have phones out in the wild or getting more money for supporting non BlackBerry phones? That is a question that can be debated. But one thing is certain, if it is my tax money buying these phones they can damn well be made by a Can. Company if that choice exists, which right now it does.
    Agree.
    But remember these iDevices will be issued "for work only". basically means : no apps, no cloud. Not sure many will love it.
    12-14-13 10:33 AM
    It's not about security, the iPhone unfortunately looks more appealing cosmetically to these old heads compared to bland ol' BlackBerry. Quite possibly most of them on BBOS and inching for a more visibly modern OS.
    Mark my words, those uninformed will choose iPhones

Posted via CB10
    And that is EXACTLY the problem BlackBerry faces. Most people are still comparing a two or three year old BlackBerry to a new iPhone. It's not comparing apples to apples. But without marketing ppl just don't know what the new BlackBerry can do..... let alone what it looks like!

Posted via CB10
    12-14-13 10:57 AM
    Now we will know who to vote for. Most politicians aren't smart enough to run a BB

Posted via CB10
    12-14-13 11:08 AM
    Iphone is pretty secure imo, now if they were using android I'd be worried lol.

Don't bash me, I'm a q10/z10 owner!

Posted via CB10
    12-14-13 11:18 AM
    This is what happened to my company. Before only BlackBerry choice. They just started offering both bb10 and iPhone. Guess how many bbs were chosen. Almost none. Every one went for ios.

Posted via CB10
    12-14-13 11:30 AM
    Just another silly article. If the UK government is any indication then it is very unlikely the Canadian government would risked getting spied on by using apple which imo is total garbage and outdated compared to BlackBerry and even WP. Android is the best but security wise not so much. Obviously the best security is BlackBerry and the better phone is bb10. Why anyone would use an iPhone just proves to me they are puppets of propaganda. We are now seeing many of the slow witted puppets waking up and ditching outdated iPhone for Android. As a consumer android is the best choice and as a business or government with security concerns it is BlackBerry all the way.

Posted via CB10
    12-14-13 12:02 PM
    Agree.
    But remember these iDevices will be issued "for work only". basically means : no apps, no cloud. Not sure many will love it.
    ? apps and cloud compliment work functions

the article even states employees will have to pay for apps themselves... clearly they are allowed
    12-14-13 12:36 PM
    That's our great conservative government supporting Canadian business. They also killed the Avro Arrow.

BB Proud
    12-14-13 12:43 PM
    Agree.
    But if the balance thing on BES10 works as well as it should, won't they have all their personal apps functional after hours / away from the office. If that is the case, I still don't see many choosing BlackBerry phones. If a more expensive, fashionable, supposed app rich iPhone is available, people will choose it. Unless they are a BlackBerry diehard. Plus what kind of message does this send, when you can't even support your own.

Come on, with the exception of Netflix and candy crush, what is wrong with these bb10 phones. I have games on my z30, I have a Bluetooth mouse and keyboard, I have a HDMI to VGA converter, and USB to go. I have email, phone, texting, BBM (very awesome between BlackBerry phones), calendars, contacts. I am able to view/ modify Microsoft documents. What more does a Government worker need. There are Instagramma apps available and tons of other apps and games. The browser is stupendous, banking websites all have mobile sites, there really is no need for an app for that. TimmyMe allows them to make NFC donut and coffee purchases right from the phone. This is ridiculous. The government of Canada is not very bright sometimes, this is one of those times. End rant
    12-14-13 03:02 PM
    This is ridiculous. I work on government advocacy and will be posting a thread about this later for how ALL Canadian CrackBerry supporters NEED to send an email to their MP, John Duncan, the Minister of Industry and the PM. I will provide all email addresses. Let's stop this just like the CrackBerry community reversed the Z30 decision at Rogers!

Posted from my Q10 on the West Coast
    playboldbook and canuckvoip like this.
    12-14-13 04:32 PM
30 12