Unintentional pun!
    10-12-11 10:56 PM
    Or was it?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850 using Tapatalk
    10-12-11 11:03 PM
    Click to view quoted image

um...yeah...those are like....COMPLETELY different

and nobody said they were dolts....
    How bout the all the android handsets with portrait keyboards and sliders? The different resolutions. Develeopers have to code for that.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-12-11 11:39 PM
    How bout the all the android handsets with portrait keyboards and sliders? The different resolutions. Develeopers have to code for that.

You know those don't exist. the only form factors (all four) are listed above.

The Kyocera Echo was a myth too...
    10-12-11 11:53 PM
    You know those don't exist. the only form factors (all four) are listed above.

The Kyocera Echo was a myth too...

I'm just basing my statement on what I have actually seen in the wild.

I'm more than aware of the existence of the "pro" and "cha cha"....huge blockbuster sellers I'm sure...but, not any I have seen....

And the four devices pictured above = one form factor...you can put whatever rounded corners you want on it...its a rectangular touchscreen device...

And making an app work for different resolutions must not be that big of a chore...I have downloaded apps that were for the storm and they work just fine on the torch.

10-13-11 06:38 AM
    its amazing how someone can pull isolated factoids to make a point..

70 million?.. wow so unimpressed.. there are more than 70 million ipad owners alone.. never mind the iphone and itouch... so hey, pick a number of platform potential... make a guess.. lets say ios platforms in total are 3-5 time the size of BB.

and that is the number of platforms... now move to $$$.... a measure of the users proclivity to spend money..what does the average ios owner spend on apps vs BB...?.. pick your own figure but i would guess about 5-10 times the amount...or even significantly more...

so with napkin math, the served available $$ market for ios apps is ~15-50 times that of BB apps.

funnily enough, most app developers dont need to work through this to simply KNOW where the money is

70 MILLION BLACKBERRY USERS WORLDWIDE....

More and more every day...and they are leading in growth in emerging markets such as India and retaining more customers in the UK....

Given that, it doesn't seem so simple to me...

If it's too hard...fine, come out and say that. "We *fill in developer name* for whatever reason do not have the time or resources to compete in the BlackBerry application market, with deepest regret to the 70 MILLION of you"
    Last edited by mystic205; 10-13-11 at 07:46 AM.
    10-13-11 07:43 AM
    Sent from my BlackBerry 9850 using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

its amazing how someone can pull isolated factoids to make a point..

70 million?.. wow so unimpressed.. there are more than 70 million ipad owners alone.. never mind the iphone and itouch... so hey, pick a number of platform potential... make a guess.. lets say ios platforms in total are 3-5 time the size of BB.

and that is the number of platforms... now move to $$$.... a measure of the users proclivity to spend money..what does the average ios owner spend on apps vs BB...?.. pick your own figure but i would guess about 5-10 times the amount...or even significantly more...

so with napkin math, the served available $$ market for ios apps is ~15-50 times that of BB apps.

funnily enough, most app developers dont need to work through this to simply KNOW where the money is
    No, no, no... the developers are just lazy!
    10-13-11 09:08 AM
    oops!.. i forgot!

No, no, no... the developers are just lazy! [/QUOTE]
    10-13-11 01:31 PM

This doesn't account for actually breaking into said market though, where competition is insanely fierce.

It likely has to do with lack of hardware fragmentation and easier development (which go hand in hand).

If it was as easy to develop for BB and you made a good app you could hit a top seller quite easily, whereas you would get buried by 100 $0.99 apps on IOS...
    10-13-11 01:53 PM
  10. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Develop some quality apps for the Playbook and buyers like me will be there .. cost is not an issue! .... that simple ....
    10-13-11 03:36 PM
    So your professional business advice is that if a developer has an idea for a new quality app, he should develop it to address a TAM of 300,000 units when he could develop it for a TAM of over 100,000,000 units ?......

there is simply no incentive for developers to spend significant time and effort in developing new "quality apps" for the playbook.. as the ROI is simply not there.
    Now, in saying that, if they have a successful app already on Ios and Android, then i can see the incremental cost of porting it to BB "may" make sense.. but only "may".

IMO, RIM needs to provide massive incentives to developers to create a portfolio of basic essential (missing) apps to gain some traction..

Develop some quality apps for the Playbook and buyers like me will be there .. cost is not an issue! .... that simple ....
    10-14-11 08:09 AM
    So your professional business advice is that if a developer has an idea for a new quality app, he should develop it to address a TAM of 300,000 units when he could develop it for a TAM of over 100,000,000 units ?......

there is simply no incentive for developers to spend significant time and effort in developing new "quality apps" for the playbook.. as the ROI is simply not there.
    Now, in saying that, if they have a successful app already on Ios and Android, then i can see the incremental cost of porting it to BB "may" make sense.. but only "may".

IMO, RIM needs to provide massive incentives to developers to create a portfolio of basic essential (missing) apps to gain some traction..
    In the space where you are selling to a huge market space your business is based on volume. In the tighter space, your based on quality (which you charge for). The ROI only matters if you can sell your app. It doesnt matter how good your app might be, if no one ever uses it, its like it never existed. That being said, your target audience is what matters. As more business people migrate between devices from traditional BB and PCs, yea the ROI for iOS and Android makes sense, but customers are fickle creatures. Over all I think the ROI for Android would be best, more devices, much bigger market space (can you say Amazon) and the PlayBook will end up (according to RIM at least) with an Android player.

Apple is a one way street with no outlets. Android is the wild west where riches can be made.

I own neither Apple or Android products.
    10-14-11 08:48 AM
    I was highlighting the TAM (total available market) but indeed you are correct that what is important is the SAM (served available market) ie.. that percentage of the TAM that would be interested in a developed app.

The ability to be successful in any given SAM depends upon competition. With competition then price, desirability and differentiating value comes into play and does indeed impact the price to some degree, but quality still counts and is reflected in the price and conversely no matter what the market size or how small, over-priced apps wont sell if the quality is not there.

Put it another way...there are plenty of free apps i would wish a refund of, and plenty of $49 apps i would have paid double for on the iPad..lol

In the space where you are selling to a huge market space your business is based on volume. In the tighter space, your based on quality (which you charge for). The ROI only matters if you can sell your app. It doesnt matter how good your app might be, if no one ever uses it, its like it never existed. That being said, your target audience is what matters. As more business people migrate between devices from traditional BB and PCs, yea the ROI for iOS and Android makes sense, but customers are fickle creatures. Over all I think the ROI for Android would be best, more devices, much bigger market space (can you say Amazon) and the PlayBook will end up (according to RIM at least) with an Android player.

Apple is a one way street with no outlets. Android is the wild west where riches can be made.

I own neither Apple or Android products.
    10-14-11 10:05 AM
  14. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    just saying .. deliver quality business apps for the bold 9900 .. i will buy! . don't care about cost ... many other business types who i know who use bold 9900 feel the same way ...
    10-14-11 01:21 PM
    Yeah? All three of you?

For the umpteenth time, people do not dev for BB because there's no one to buy.
    10-15-11 06:35 AM
    Yeah? All three of you?

For the umpteenth time, people do not dev for BB because there's no one to buy.
    Said the guy with 85 posts registered 2 months ago?

Ook...

How about... BlackBerry users only buy the apps that are actually worth buying, diferently from the other platforms where people seem interested in wasting money on fart apps.

Oh wait... Flashlight apps were top sellers on AppWorld...

So... Your point was?
    10-15-11 07:35 AM
    That if it were worth developers time to develop for BB, then they would.
    10-15-11 12:14 PM
    That if it were worth developers time to develop for BB, then they would.
    Isn't that what's in debate here?
    10-15-11 01:12 PM
    Said the guy with 85 posts registered 2 months ago?

Ook...

How about... BlackBerry users only buy the apps that are actually worth buying, diferently from the other platforms where people seem interested in wasting money on fart apps.

Oh wait... Flashlight apps were top sellers on AppWorld...

So... Your point was?
    LOL... you just validated his argument.
    Rickroller likes this.
    10-15-11 05:34 PM
    LOL... you just validated his argument.
    uh...how exactly?

I guess a BlackBerry user deems it worthy to buy a flashlight app to make it unnecessary to carry a flashlight...

And an iPhone user buys a fart app so they can leave the whoopy cushion at home?
    10-16-11 03:49 PM
    uh...how exactly?

I guess a BlackBerry user deems it worthy to buy a flashlight app to make it unnecessary to carry a flashlight...

And an iPhone user buys a fart app so they can leave the whoopy cushion at home?
    I do niot care for apps. Not good to stereotype upon blackberry users, or iPhone users.

10-16-11 03:51 PM
71 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD