10-16-11 03:51 PM
71 123
tools
    Android is best for developers, Blackberry is best for making money
    Report shows OS dominance in consumer and enterprise markets
    By Dean Wilson Thursday September 22, 2011, 12:00

MOBILE SOFTWARE DEVELOPER Google's Android operating system (OS) is the best place for developers in general, while the Blackberry OS is the best place for developers to make money, according to a report by Evans Data.

The Application Distribution report, which surveyed 400 commercial developers, shows that Android is the most used app store amongst commercial developers, with 47 per cent market share. Apple is not far behind at 43 per cent, but the shift from Apple's prior dominance is likely to continue.

Android also came out on top as the best app store for developers over the long term, with many believing that the Android Market will be the pivotal place to develop for within the next two years.

Despite Android's success, developers can still make more money by opting to use Blackberry's App World, which appears to be paying out more than both Android and Apple. This is likely largely due to the enterprise nature of a lot of Blackberry devices and apps, which means a larger price tag for apps, compared with the mostly consumer nature of apps on Android and Apple devices, with more affordable pricing.

"The industry has a conception that developers are going to target either Android or Apple, and those two will define the market," said Janel Garvin, CEO of Evans Data. "However, there's room for more than two. Blackberry developers are not as plentiful but 13 per cent make over $100,000 from the App World apps, which is considerably more than Android or Apple developers, and will help that platform continue to be compelling to developers, especially in the enterprise."

Of course, with Blackberry losing a lot of the market share it once had, it might not be a very attractive operating system to develop for much longer. Larger prices but lower sales might just average out or result in losses, compared to a more competitively priced and better selling app in the Android or Apple app stores.

Other findings in the report include a problem of app visibility, which was cited by 37 per cent of respondents. This would obviously have a large impact on sales. Unfortunately, the more each app store grows the more difficult it will be to find specific apps amidst the clutter. Having the search prowess of Google could answer this problem for Android, however.

The survey found that developers vastly prefer to sell paid apps rather than subsidise free ones with in-app advertising. The second most favoured approach is a subscription-based app.

Games remain the dominant app across most app stores, taking up 27 per cent of the catalogue. Business apps came in at 21 per cent, while productivity apps were not far behind at 20 per cent. So, while the consumer side of apps is clearly the strongest, there is still a call for enterprise apps, which could keep Blackberry alive in the face of the war between Apple and Google.

Android is best for developers, blackberry is best for making money- The Inquirer
    Eumaeus likes this.
    09-22-11 09:18 AM
    I've heard this before.

Sadly RIM couldn't Market themselves outta a wet paper bag.
    09-22-11 12:27 PM
    RIM knows how to market themselves and their marketing roadmap is well-hidden. If everybody knew everybody's marketing plans, then who knows what would happen. Somethings are better left unsaid.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    mithrazor likes this.
    09-22-11 02:06 PM
    RIM knows how to market themselves and their marketing roadmap is well-hidden. If everybody knew everybody's marketing plans, then who knows what would happen. Somethings are better left unsaid.

I had to laugh at that. If RIM truly did know how to market themselves, they wouldn't be in this mess.

RIM is the only company I know that can show off a device and wait 6 months or more to actually sell it. Once the hype has completely died. Ala Playbook
    09-22-11 03:09 PM
    RIM knows how to market themselves and their marketing roadmap is well-hidden.
    Could you cite your sources for this information plz? thx
    09-22-11 08:07 PM
    Just wanted to add some perspective on the article, since it's slightly misleading. Like this line: "Blackberry developers are not as plentiful but 13 per cent make over $100,000 from the App World apps"

Unless we know if they're talking about 100 or 1000 developers, it's really meaningless. Especially since we don't know how many Android developers (and how big of a percentage they represent) that make the same amount.

Can you make money on App world? Sure... But for most developers what you make isn't worth the investment in time and missed earnings, that it would cost them to support BB apps. We know that, because THEY'RE NOT THERE! Devs aren't stupid or ignorant. If it was worth their time you can bet that they would move to app world.

What discussions like this also usually forget, is that the vast majority of Android developers aren't in it for the money. Developing is a hobby and passion for them, and while they don't mind an extra income, they don't do it for the money. In many cases, these are the people that make many of the really popular Android apps.

This is one of the reasons why the Android Player for the Playbook won't work. Sure, youll see some developers take advantage of it, but it won't be many. How do we know this? After all it won't take much work for them to rewrite the app for App World, right?

Well here's the thing: It doesn't take much work for Android developers to update their apps on alternative markets such as Amazons app market or Getjar either.

BUT MANY OF THEM DON'T DO IT.

It's increasingly a problem for those two markets, that devs only update their apps on Googles market, and don't bother with updating them elsewhere. Cause if development is primarily a hobby for you, making sure that the other app markets have an updated version of your app, or rewriting it and submitting it to App World is a boring chore that takes time away from the fun part of developing.
    Buzz_Dengue and K Bear like this.
    09-22-11 08:57 PM
    But for most developers what you make isn't worth the investment in time and missed earnings, that it would cost them to support BB apps. We know that, because THEY'RE NOT THERE! Devs aren't stupid or ignorant. If it was worth their time you can bet that they would move to app world.
    Logical statements have no business on crackberry.com!!
    howarmat, K Bear and BuzzStarField like this.
    09-22-11 09:01 PM
    If they can make money, then why aren't they? Why are all the new apps for iPhone or Droid only? Why ignore BB?

Develop popular apps like Angry Birds and Words with Friends for the BB world and watch the money come in. I know a lot of people, myself included, who love playing WWF and AB but can't unless we hijack someone's iPhone or Droid.

Heck, for that matter, update the apps that are already there. Hello Sirius!
    diegonei likes this.
    09-23-11 01:22 PM
    Fact is, with OS7 devices, devs have a much better starting point. Look at the 3D games. Do you think Rovio would be able to claim the performance would not be good enough now?

BB users need apps. If I knew enough about coding, I'd be browsing these forums, checking what people want and deliver ASAP.

But heck, demand has no weight these days, it's all about hype.
    09-23-11 01:31 PM
    Fact is, with OS7 devices, devs have a much better starting point. Look at the 3D games. Do you think Rovio would be able to claim the performance would not be good enough now?

BB users need apps. If I knew enough about coding, I'd be browsing these forums, checking what people want and deliver ASAP.

If that is the case why hasn't Rovio released Angry Birds yet? They said they were almost 6 months ago.
    09-23-11 03:26 PM
    That developers aren't flocking to BB isn't a sign that there isn't money to be made in app world -- given the strong negative impression RIM has among developers, it's entirely possibe that developers simply don't know how profitable the platform actually is.

I do a good bit of BB development myself, though mostly custom apps for work. If I was willing to give up some of my limited spare-time to write phone apps for spare cash, BB would be the first platform on my list. I'm virtually guaranteed higher visibiliy than on the iPhone and Android platforms which, given the very large user base, significantly reduces my risk.

Right now, you'd be insane to ignore the platform!

09-23-11 04:03 PM
    RIM is the only company I know that can show off a device and wait 6 months or more to actually sell it. Once the hype has completely died. Ala Playbook
    While the delays to the playbook were a bad thing, the whole announcing it in advance thing was actually a smart move since they needed to build up a reasonable stock of apps before it launched or they would get beaten by that same old stick of not having any apps.
    09-23-11 04:08 PM
    What I don't understand why it is that we all seem to think that the poor developers are clueless with regards to the "profitability" of BBOS.

I personally know two that have all but stated that there is just not enough ROI, particularly when compared to other platforms.

I still think the onus is on RIM to make it worthwhile.
    09-23-11 04:10 PM
    If that is the case why hasn't Rovio released Angry Birds yet? They said they were almost 6 months ago.
    Either the above or:

- market share;
    - expected demise of RIM;
    - pure and simple stupidity/lazyness

Take your pick.
    09-23-11 07:59 PM
    Can you make money on App world? Sure... But for most developers what you make isn't worth the investment in time and missed earnings, that it would cost them to support BB apps. We know that, because THEY'RE NOT THERE! Devs aren't stupid or ignorant. If it was worth their time you can bet that they would move to app world.
    So those apps I have seen in app world were made by non-existent developers?
    A good well written, well tested, functional, intuitive, well thought out app with a good UI doesn't require support by the way.

What discussions like this also usually forget, is that the vast majority of Android developers aren't in it for the money. Developing is a hobby and passion for them, and while they don't mind an extra income, they don't do it for the money. In many cases, these are the people that make many of the really popular Android apps.
    Yeah well I would be in it for the money so I stopped reading the article you linked to at
    "Blackberry is best for making money"
    Who needs a hobby?

Money is a pretty good incentive for developing a QUALITY app, not the output of someone's weekend fun time.
    What's your point here and why does it bother you so much that someone might develop for Blackberry?
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 09-24-11 at 01:05 PM.
    09-24-11 12:52 PM
    If they can make money, then why aren't they? Why are all the new apps for iPhone or Droid only? Why ignore BB?

Develop popular apps like Angry Birds and Words with Friends for the BB world and watch the money come in. I know a lot of people, myself included, who love playing WWF and AB but can't unless we hijack someone's iPhone or Droid.

Heck, for that matter, update the apps that are already there. Hello Sirius!
    Umm according to the article "they" are. The smart ones.
    $100,000 is not small potatoes.
    09-24-11 01:01 PM
    Umm according to the article "they" are. The smart ones.
    $100,000 is not small potatoes.
    My point was the popular trendy apps like WWF and AB are not available on BB OS and likely never will be. Meanwhile, we get battery saver, LED changer and Opera Mini. None of the new games esp the "X with friends" ones will ever come to BB. Hangman with Friends, Word with Friends et al.
    Last edited by ColdSunshine; 09-26-11 at 09:21 AM.
    09-26-11 09:18 AM
    Interesting snapshot (with caveats) of iOS game revenues:
    Results: iOS Game Revenue Survey Streaming Colour Studios

If you dont want to click on the link, here's a summary from TUAW:

iOS game revenue survey: 50% of App Store games make less than $3k
    by Mike Schramm Sep 29th 2011 at 6:05PM.

Developer Owen Goss (the mind behind Landformer and Baby's Musical Hands) has spent the last few weeks or so putting together a really comprehensive survey on revenue for iOS games and apps, all based on answers from 252 actual iOS developers. He's shared the results on his blog, and they're pretty fascinating. Unfortunately, as he states early on, this is a pretty informal survey, with a self-selected sample group that's on its honor to answer truthfully (and some of the questions, Goss admits, may not have been completely clear).

But there's still some interesting info in here. The majority of the developers polled are working independently, and a surprising amount of them, exactly 50%, are working on their own as a one-person shop. And while some developers have made a lot of money on the store (the average lifetime earnings is actually around $165k), most developers don't make more than a few thousand dollars. 50% of developers polled in Goss' survey have made less than $3,000 in all of their app sales. The median game, too, made less than $1000, though of course there were some games that made much less and much more.

Goss also found a few other interesting stats, like the fact that most developers tend to make more revenue as they release more games (which is logical -- of course devs get better at making, marketing, and selling games as they get more experienced at it). If you're a developer, an aspiring dev, or just interested in how the iOS dev grind goes, you'll want to read through the results of the survey.
    Buzz_Dengue likes this.
    09-29-11 09:34 PM
    I found this interesting article on App Store stats in general.

Not such a long time ago and not that far far away
    10-03-11 01:29 AM
    But there's still some interesting info in here. The majority of the developers polled are working independently, and a surprising amount of them, exactly 50%, are working on their own as a one-person shop. And while some developers have made a lot of money on the store (the average lifetime earnings is actually around $165k), most developers don't make more than a few thousand dollars. 50% of developers polled in Goss's survey have made less than $3,000 in all of their app sales. The median game, too, made less than $1000, though of course there were some games that made much less and much more.
    If I had to guess, I'm sure these developers have to pay a fee of some sort for iOS or Droid to market their games/apps. Kinda like a stylist at a hair salon who pays rent on a booth. Sure, you can work here and make money, but if you want us to support your app, you'll pay us to put it in our store.

I doubt the guy/gal who came up with Angry Birds only made $3K.
    10-03-11 09:24 AM
  21. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    time for developers to make some serious money developing quality business applications for the Bold 9900 environment .... can be very lucrative!
    10-04-11 11:54 PM
    70 million subscribers worldwide...that's a seriously untapped market.

I cannot for the life of me understand why more developers are not jumping at the potential to deliver their product to that many consumers?
    10-05-11 12:16 PM

I cannot for the life of me understand why more developers are not jumping at the potential to deliver their product to that many consumers?
    Easy. No one is buying their apps. If we did, they'd make them.

I'd love to know how much BB users in developed countries spend on apps in any given year.
    10-05-11 12:31 PM

70 million subscribers scattered over how many OS's? Remember with Rimm apps you need to code them to for each OS. Hence why there is so little OS7 apps right now.
    10-05-11 12:33 PM
    Easy. No one is buying their apps. If we did, they'd make them.

I'd love to know how much BB users in developed countries spend on apps in any given year.
    That's a little cart before the horse if you ask me....how can I buy it...if they don't make it?

70 million subscribers scattered over how many OS's? Remember with Rimm apps you need to code them to for each OS. Hence why there is so little OS7 apps right now.
    The only reason most of the apps that support os6 dont work on os7 is because of the higher screen resolutions...I can side load some of the apps that worked on my os5 Storm 2 and they work just fine, except for fitment...where's the updates?
    10-05-11 12:41 PM
71 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD