02-27-14 09:57 AM
87 ... 234
tools
    The only thing I got from the MWC is, "its coming". Nothing that's coming is for me. Not complaining just saying.

What (I need and) concerns me is, the new MONSTER octa core phone, Playbook and Blend. And no, I'm not a brat.
    02-26-14 05:59 AM
    What struck me was the scale of the presentation, itself, compared to the other competing smartphone presentations at MWC from the likes Samsung or Nokia. It's quite a contrast.
    http://www.ridble.com/wp-content/upl...c-featured.jpg

http://twimages.vr-zone.net/2014/02/...19-665x443.jpg

http://images.scribblelive.com/2014/...711014_800.jpg
    Sorry, that's kinda funny.
    Drew808 likes this.
    02-26-14 10:09 AM
    I'm mostly just curious to see what will be announced later this year. In case anybody missed it, from the Q&A at MWC:

"Q: Are there any flagship devices to be announced this year?"
    "A: Yes, we have some high-end devices that we are working on. But I'm not allowed to show or share with you right now"
    Gerii and Nharzhool like this.
    02-26-14 10:32 AM
    NAILED IT!
    This is my theory of dinosaurs I mean People. It is mine and belongs to me.
    File a people dinosaur business process patent.
    02-26-14 11:10 AM
    Well Chen told BGR off the record that they are "readying a new flagship phone that will steal users away from Android, iPhone". I am assuming he is talking about the Ontario. Can't wait for more details on this.

BlackBerry Vs Android, iPhone: CEO says upcoming flagship phone wins | BGR
    02-26-14 03:22 PM
    I was not expecting eBBM, the Q20, BBM for Windows Phone, or that Airbus and Daimler AG deployments would be announced. I also was not expecting BES12. Really, all I was anticipating was the Z3. I'm pretty happy. I expect 10.3 to show up in due course.

Remember, many are still on ten point one. Like U.S. Q10/Z30 and many Z10 users.
    Velocitymj likes this.
    02-26-14 04:40 PM
    I like the Q20 announcement. The belt seems useless. But the trackpad is useful. I don't see why it can't be done virtually. Also the suggestion of integrating it with a large space bar seems pretty.

Posted via CB10
    02-26-14 05:16 PM
    "But the rest of the "Belt" is useless on BB10 it's all just 1 swipe away."

I own a Q10 and still have my old 9900.
    I really like my Q10, but when I've had to pull my 9900 out of the drawer to retrieve some information, I'm still astounded at how much faster it is.
    Having the tool belt keeps the control in one place. It makes no sense to scroll to something with the track pad in one location and then have to reach up to the top of the screen and swipe down in order to engage an option or setting, which would require either swiping again to scroll or switching back to the track pad to scroll.
    It's so much faster just to press a button bring up the option menu and then scroll with the track pad.
    Ending a phone call:
    Hanging up the phone while simultaneously using an app is not one swipe away after you end the phone conversation.
    How many times have I said good bye to a client and then had to swipe out of the Calendar or document window that I'm in and then bring up the call screen to end the call. And while I'm doing this, the client, who thinks that I've hung up and is waiting to make a call, is still connected to me for 3 or four seconds wondering what is going on.
    All of that bit of awkwardness creates a little bit of stress.. Using a phone should have no stress at all.
    02-26-14 08:41 PM
    What struck me was the scale of the presentation, itself, compared to the other competing smartphone presentations at MWC from the likes Samsung or Nokia. It's quite a contrast.
    http://www.ridble.com/wp-content/upl...c-featured.jpg

http://twimages.vr-zone.net/2014/02/...19-665x443.jpg

http://images.scribblelive.com/2014/...711014_800.jpg
    It's sad and but not quite surprising, considering how out of touch BB has been the last several years.
    If you want people to think that you're still a major player in the game, then present yourself as a major player.
    milo53 likes this.
    02-26-14 08:46 PM
    If (you) want people to think that you're still a major player in the game, then present yourself as a major player.
    They don't.
    mikeo007 and JeepBB like this.
    02-26-14 08:50 PM
    All I wanted to see was the z3 in action, at least a quick video with reactions of how it felt in the hand and how fluid or not it was. Apparently nobody who was in that little room ever thought about taking a video. Did they even have working models for people to test? Did they just passed around that one z3 and everybody got to hold it for 10 secs? Did it even work? Did this event even happened?
    02-26-14 10:50 PM
    If anything I would say Samsung with their "same phone as last year but shinier" announcements would be a disappointment to anyone who cared. Not me.

BlackBerry is trying to address inconsistencies in their product offerings, quality etc. I think righting the ship is more important than trying to sail. Assuming the mobile-market doesn't have any sea-changes (pardon the puns) anytime in the next 24 months I think BB can find success and profitability again.

What I want to understand is how QNX will offer BlackBerry a leg-up in the mobile world - I feel like I've never seen the full vision of what the strategy is.
    In Samsung's Defense, they did have features in 2010 that Blackberry didn't get until 2013. Software-wise, Samsung has spammed their consumer customer base to the point that they have a pretty decent handle on what works and what doesn't and since hardware specs are so inflated now (most phones can run just fine on 2 year old hardware) there isn't too much that can be done there.

Most of the innovation in these newer phones is coming in the form of things like:

- More Sensors (Barometer in GS3, Pedometer in S4, Heart Rate Monitor in S5)
    - Fingerprint Scanners and Mobile Payments
    - More Camera Hardware Improvements (4K recording, High Framerate is becoming a standard feature, Quality is finally starting to Trump MP Numbers in Priority for a lot of OEMs (since last year, really))
    - Being able to Pack Bigger Batteries into Thinner, lighter phones
    - Cutting down Bezel Space (Edge to Edge Displays, etc.)
    - Natural Language Interaction with Smart Devices (Google Now, Siri, S Voice, Cortana)

Apart from that, OSes like Android are maturing to the point that feature spam has to be almost amazing to get noticed and used, and is often derided.

Gone are the days where you can simply put a faster SoC in a phone and sell record numbers. OEMs have to dig much harder to get improvements.

Also, the reason why Samsung Sells a lot of phones is because they are targeting their upgrades at 2 releases prior to this one. Apple does largely the same thing. The S5 may not be a huge upgrade to S4 owners, but to S3 owners it is a massive upgrade in performance and capabilities. This is no different than how the Note II wasn't that great an upgrade to the Original Note, but the Note III surely is.

Samsung basically uses a similar [# - #S] upgrade cycle that Apple uses. They just number their phone differently.
    JeepBB and Troy Tiscareno like this.
    02-27-14 09:57 AM
87 ... 234