I don't see that happening anytime soon. Would be nice to finally get rid of cdma though.

Posted via CB10
    By the end of 2016 is what they said, I believe.
    10-12-14 11:10 PM
    I still think somebody could trick Verizon to activate the Passport with voLTE... I just think nobody has been gutsy enough to try it. Some areas already have voLTE already. How can Verizon stop a LTE device if the SIM is already activated?
    10-13-14 06:13 PM
    I still think somebody could trick Verizon to activate the Passport with voLTE... I just think nobody has been gutsy enough to try it. Some areas already have voLTE already. How can Verizon stop a LTE device if the SIM is already activated?
    What you want to "think" and what can happen are two different things.... It's like tricking BlackBerry into thinking you have a company owned device and pushing you out developmental updates.
    10-14-14 08:53 AM
    How can Verizon stop a LTE device if the SIM is already activated?
    Are you implying that the Verizon customer should just insert the Verizon SIM card and begin using the Passport? Because, for the millionth gazillionth time, the US CDMA carriers do not use or support SIM cards.
    10-14-14 09:35 AM
    I don't understand all the details, but Verizon 4g devices do use sim cards now!

My Q10, and My wife's Z30 both have "4G" sim cards, and you can switch between phones just like GSM phones can.
    10-14-14 09:45 AM
    Are you implying that the Verizon customer should just insert the Verizon SIM card and begin using the Passport? Because, for the millionth gazillionth time, the US CDMA carriers do not use or support SIM cards.
    My Z30 uses a SIM. I'm not sure if its mostly for LTE or not.
    10-14-14 09:56 AM
    My Q10 came with a Sim also. I was told by VZW that it was only necessary for international calling.

Posted with my Q10, SQN100-2, 10.2.1.3253/3182 Radio
    sentimentGX4 likes this.
    10-14-14 10:15 AM
    I was in my local VZW store 2 weeks ago, and just for kicks, I asked a salesman when they would be getting the BlackBerry Passport. He gave me a "deer in the headlights" look and said he knew nothing about such a device. He added that the retail staff never know in advance which devices they will be carrying, until the devices are actually available.

10-14-14 10:22 AM
    My Q10 came with a Sim also. I was told by VZW that it was only necessary for international calling.

This. That's basically what the SIM card slots on Verizon devices are for. Verizon added the slots so that their phones could be "unlocked" as well as be used on international networks.

The SIM card slots do not put customers on the Verizon network (LTE or otherwise).
    10-14-14 10:26 AM
    Most all devices today do have SIM Cards, even the ones that Verizon sells.

But having a SIM Card and LTE Access is not the same as having the ability for VoLTE. The Carrier will need to enable that feature and your device will need to have the software that will work with THAT Carrier's VoLTE System.

So until Verizon says that they support VoLTE and until BlackBerry says that BB10 supports VoLTE.... Verizon customers will not be able to use the current batch of non-CDMA Passports - until somewhere around 2016 or beyond. (By then I hope coverage improves on another carrier's network so I can get away from Verizon)

If the Passport does become a long term "hit" with sales far in excess of 200K, Verizon may be willing to pay for a CDMA version... that is your best hope.
    10-14-14 10:30 AM
    This. That's basically what the SIM card slots on Verizon devices are for. Verizon added the slots so that their phones could be "unlocked" as well as be used on international networks.

The SIM card slots do not put customers on the Verizon network (LTE or otherwise).
    Yes, they do. You're completely wrong. I hot swap my sim between my Z10 and Android daily. Your SIM card does put you on the network.
    blackguy07 likes this.
    10-14-14 10:53 AM
    In progress.... but still over a year away.

I have no idea who around the world still uses CDMA, but I haven't seen any CDMA devices on shopblackberry.com before.
    For CDMA users, you can start with China's second largest carrier, China Telecom, the largest CDMA network in the world with 186 million subscribers: chinatelecom-h.com - China Telecom Corporation Limited - Business > Business Overview.
    10-14-14 11:02 AM

I never got a SIM with my tour and never needed it. Why did I get a SIM for my Z30 if I don't need it?
    10-14-14 11:17 AM
    You would need it to travel outside the US, or so I understand. I haven't had a chance to try it yet.

10-14-14 11:19 AM
    Just took my SIM out. SIM not detected. Emergency calls only.
    10-14-14 11:24 AM
    You would need it to travel outside the US, or so I understand. I haven't had a chance to try it yet.

Looks like I need it period unless I only want an emergency calls phone.
    10-14-14 11:25 AM
    Looks like I need it period unless I only want an emergency calls phone.
    Okay, then. Sorry, guys.
    10-14-14 11:42 AM
    For CDMA users, you can start with China's second largest carrier, China Telecom, the largest CDMA network in the world with 186 million subscribers: chinatelecom-h.com - China Telecom Corporation Limited - Business > Business Overview.
    Cause we know BlackBerry is so popular over in China that they are sure to carry the Passport

Nothing stopping BlackBerry from making a CDMA version on their own and selling it to Verizon customers via shop.blackberry.com. If there is real long term demand, then it might force Verizon to officially carry the Passport. If it's like the Z30 and there is only the initial demand and quickly slack off with only a few device per month moving after that.... at least BlackBerry would be selling those few devices.
    10-14-14 11:46 AM
    That's not true. Verizon won't let it activate unless they are part of the QA process. You should be able to trick Verizon to activate any LTE device. CDMA technology is impossible to trick. This is why switching to LTE is so important. Verizon should not even know or care what device I have. They should just care with what services I pay for. Verizon should be just a dump pipe.
    10-14-14 12:44 PM
    Just took my SIM out. SIM not detected. Emergency calls only.
    Can one of those "in-the-know" explain this? If a SIM is not needed on a VZW phone to work on CMDA, when the SIM is removed, no carrier detected; emergency calls only.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    10-14-14 12:52 PM
    Can one of those "in-the-know" explain this? If a SIM is not needed on a VZW phone to work on CMDA, when the SIM is removed, no carrier detected; emergency calls only.
    With the introduction of LTE on verizon all their phones use Sim cards, your account is tied to said Sim card and with that Sim card inserted is the only way to get any service outside of emergency calls. You can take that sim with you to any Verizon LTE compatible phone. No need to call or go online, just take sim card our of one Verizon LTE phone and pop it into another
    kbz1960 likes this.
    10-14-14 01:24 PM
    Interesting, and not what VZW tells you. Wouldn't using the Sim card in another phone violate your contract?

With the introduction of LTE on verizon all their phones use Sim cards, your account is tied to said Sim card and with that Sim card inserted is the only way to get any service outside of emergency calls. You can take that sim with you to any Verizon LTE compatible phone. No need to call or go online, just take sim card our of one Verizon LTE phone and pop it into another

10-14-14 03:02 PM
    Interesting, and not what VZW tells you. Wouldn't using the Sim card in another phone violate your contract?

I dont see why, you're service is basically linked to the sim card like has been the case with GSM phones for years. I've had LTE devices dating back to their first the HTC thunderbolt and never had an issue buying new phones off craigslist or elsewhere, popping my sim, and going about my business.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    10-14-14 03:11 PM
    Actually you can buy a smartphone at subsidized prices and then drop down to just voice and not get slapped with a ETF.
    10-14-14 05:26 PM
    When I got my z30 ( not from Verizon) I just pulled the sim out of my z10 and put it in the z30. The phone worked right away.
    6120111, kbz1960 and kbz1960 like this.
    10-14-14 07:13 PM
110 12345