JB HiFi is one of Australia's major electronic retailers. They, along with Harvey Norman, control probably 85% of the market here. As of this morning, you are no longer able to buy any Blackberry device on their online store: All Phones - Phones - JB Hi-Fi In fact, no Blackberry device is listed on their web pages at all.

When I contacted my local store, they had a Z10 left on display but once their current stock of 3 (!!) devices was sold, then it would be returned evidently.

I find this news to be very very disturbing for Blackberry.
    11-29-13 06:22 PM
    Australia is not a big market for BlackBerry. Though I think it's time for them to take the shop BlackBerry site international or at least to Canada.

Posted via CB10
    11-29-13 06:53 PM
    Australia is not a big market for BlackBerry. Though I think it's time for them to take the shop BlackBerry site international or at least to Canada.

Posted via CB10
    Honestly, though, I think if you are trying to be an international company in the consumer market then you need a presence in every market. Much ado was made recently about the news that Blackberry's sales figures here tripled. What they failed to point out was that the .5% market share they once had was about 25,000 devices.

I don't know .... I just think this, along with the partial UK market withdrawal, is signs Blackberry is pulling out of the consumer market once their current inventory is either sold or returned.
    bbq10l, Etios and JeepBB like this.
    11-29-13 07:11 PM
    I agree, let us buy these units for cheap! Also include Z30!!!!
    11-29-13 07:18 PM
    Didn't BlackBerry sales in August just triple the other week or something?

Whatever the case, these partners dropping BlackBerry left and right is really troubling. BlackBerry should take matters entirely into its own hands and sell every phone of theirs directly through their website, and have it up and running as smoothly as Apple's site (maybe Google's is smooth too, but I've never bought anything from them online).

BlackBerry isn't really in a position to be doing carrier exclusives anymore. Those days should be over. When they're fighting for every bit of marketshare, I think they should make their products as widely available and easily accessible as possible. Of course, I also think they should make their products somewhat affordable, but I do realize that this is BlackBerry we are talking about, and they're not exactly known for pricing their products to sell.
    11-29-13 07:24 PM
    BlackBerry isn't really in a position to be doing carrier exclusives anymore. Those days should be over. When they're fighting for every bit of marketshare, I think they should make their products as widely available and easily accessible as possible. Of course, I also think they should make their products somewhat affordable, but I do realize that this is BlackBerry we are talking about, and they're not exactly known for pricing their products to sell.
    When Verizon tells you they want an exclusive.... you listen. Especially when no one else is really interested in what you have.

The problem really isn't product accessibility, but having a product that people want.. thus carriers see a profit in carrying said product. If BlackBerry is writing down Z10 inventory because it isn't selling... you can bet that it cost carriers money too.

As a commodity item - which a non-BIS/BES BB10 device is, it is hard to compete with much larger companies that are in a hardware war.

As a business product with BES, BB10 devices can get a premium price. The problem is business have been in a "wait and see" mode for awhile, and they haven't liked what BlackBerry has been showing - more related to the company that the devices.
    JeepBB and kevinnugent like this.
    12-03-13 10:16 AM
    When Verizon tells you they want an exclusive.... you listen. Especially when no one else is really interested in what you have.
    Exactly. Plus, carriers order phones from manufacturers 18-24 months in advance, when those phones are still in the early planning stage. Verizon obviously had a contract with BB for the Z30 before the first production BB10 device came off the assembly line, long before anyone knew how BB10 sales were going to go. Verizon assumed BB10 would be successful, and wanted the exclusive. Heck, it may well have been Verizon who pushed for the creation of the Z30 in the first place, because carriers have a BIG influence on phone specs, especially things like screen size, except for with Apple, where they largely take what Apple offers.
    12-03-13 07:59 PM
    Would think Australia would be a decent market for BlackBerry similar to Great Britain and Canada. Guess not.

Posted via CB10
    12-03-13 08:06 PM
    Didn't BlackBerry sales in August just triple the other week or something?
    Yes, this is what I thought too LOL.

Seems we always get reports of BB "selling like hot cakes" somewhere until the inevitable slap of reality hits us and presents a different reality.
    12-03-13 09:05 PM
    Would think Australia would be a decent market for BlackBerry similar to Great Britain and Canada. Guess not.

Posted via CB10
    Nah. Not any more. The 9900 and then the Z10 pretty much killed off any Blackberry customer base here. The Q10 seems to have had a jolt from a cattle prod in the last couple of months but the total (including BB07 devices) is still less than 1.5% market share. Apple and Samsung are now king here.
    12-03-13 09:06 PM
    Yes, this is what I thought too LOL.

Seems we always get reports of BB "selling like hot cakes" somewhere until the inevitable slap of reality hits us and presents a different reality.
    The sales figures for the quarter just gone *did* triple market share. The problem (as with most of Blackberry's facts) is that the base from which the results trebled wasn't very big. And the sales numbers in actuality were incredibly small. It's just that before this quarter they were even wrose. It went from .5% to 1.3% or something.
    12-03-13 09:08 PM
    The sales figures for the quarter just gone *did* triple market share. The problem (as with most of Blackberry's facts) is that the base from which the results trebled wasn't very big. And the sales numbers in actuality were incredibly small. It's just that before this quarter they were even wrose. It went from .5% to 1.3% or something.
    Has Bunnings started selling mobiles yet? Maybe BlackBerry can try the "store in a store" concept with them
    12-03-13 09:20 PM
    Has Bunnings started selling mobiles yet? Maybe BlackBerry can try the "store in a store" concept with them
    haha no. I wouldn't be surprised if Masters didn't soon though. It's their "little bit more upmarket" competitor. Honestly, a little Blackberry booth/popup store inside a Bunnings would probably do OK.
    12-03-13 09:36 PM
    Exactly. Plus, carriers order phones from manufacturers 18-24 months in advance, when those phones are still in the early planning stage. Verizon obviously had a contract with BB for the Z30 before the first production BB10 device came off the assembly line, long before anyone knew how BB10 sales were going to go. Verizon assumed BB10 would be successful, and wanted the exclusive. Heck, it may well have been Verizon who pushed for the creation of the Z30 in the first place, because carriers have a BIG influence on phone specs, especially things like screen size, except for with Apple, where they largely take what Apple offers.
    There is no exclusive with Verizon in the sense that it is contractual - it's exclusive in that nobody else wanted it -

Bhardwaj declined to comment about getting the Z30 on other carriers, but noted that BlackBerry was ready to ship phones to other carriers if they requested it. He said there was nothing in the deal with Verizon that would prevent BlackBerry from offering an AT&T or T-Mobile version of the phone. "We're not solely tied to Verizon," Bhardwaj said.
    http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57609653-94/verizon-to-sell-blackberry-z30-exclusively-in-nov-for-$200/
    JeepBB likes this.
    12-04-13 01:59 AM
    There is no exclusive with Verizon in the sense that it is contractual - it's exclusive in that nobody else wanted it -

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57609653-94/verizon-to-sell-blackberry-z30-exclusively-in-nov-for-$200/
    Christ. Not one other carrier wanted it at all. Shame really, as it's a good phone.
    JeepBB likes this.
    12-04-13 02:02 AM

You're willing to retract this statement if another carrier in the us brings it?

CLICK HERE To Join My Music & Poetry Channel. Please&Thanks.
    12-04-13 02:09 AM
    You're willing to retract this statement if another carrier in the us brings it?
    Is that question really as stupid as it seems - Do you need me to explain why it is stupid?
    12-04-13 02:15 AM
    Is that question really as stupid as it seems - Do you need me to explain why it is stupid?
    I asked a question u didn't answer...I don't want you to explain why you think my question is stupid, I want you to answer my stupid question as in yes or no....

12-04-13 02:19 AM
    I asked a question u didn't answer...I don't want you to explain why you think my question is stupid, I want you to answer my question as in yes or no....

It's stupid because I wouldn't need to retract it because reality would show it to be wrong - my retraction would be an unneeded qualification of something obvious.
    12-04-13 02:21 AM