You have to love this guy. Anyhow .... got me laughing....

John Chen tells an interesting story to the Financial Times: The man whos turning around BlackBerry Ltd. was embarrassed by his wifes Samsung.

There were a couple of parties we went to and, when my wife brought out the Samsung, everyone kind of looked at me funny, John Chen told the news organization in a lengthy interview.

So eventually I said she needed to use a BlackBerry. No, I like my Samsung, she said, and I told her she was embarrassing me.

The newspapers David Crow, having tea with Mr. Chen in New York, writes today of how Mr. Chen has stopped the bleeding at BlackBerry and boosted the ailing smartphone makers stock price.

Mr. Chen told the news outlet that BlackBerry erred when it wandered off to chase the consumer market, and while he halted its decline, the hardest part is yet to come in terms of growth.

Mr. Chen also said morale isnt in top shape, but isnt as low as many believe, that people still love the keyboard and security is very important and that BlackBerrys new Passport is part of a push to make our devices a bit more pleasing to those people.

Mr. Chen added that he believes BlackBerry could lead in areas other than handsets, such as the Internet of Things, and that I hope today there is very little question of whether were going to survive.

And my personal favourite: Is his wife still sneaking off with her Samsung?

That I wouldnt know. There might be a lot of secrets I dont know.

Mr. Chen is now in China, meeting with companies such as Lenovo Group Ltd. in a chase for partnerships.
    anon(2313227) likes this.
    11-10-14 07:42 AM
    Straight shooter.
    11-10-14 07:52 AM
    Nothing wrong with that, he's telling it as it is. His wife doesn't need to love his products... it's not like she's getting a paid sponsorship deal

Posted via CB10
    11-10-14 07:53 AM
    He'd never have told a story like that if he wasn't optimistic about things. It's signalling that he doesn't care if his wife has a Samsung, it just doesn't matter.

Posted via CB10
    11-10-14 07:58 AM
    Mr. Chen is now in China, meeting with companies such as Lenovo Group Ltd. in a chase for partnerships.
    I guess the one above is the key sentence in the whole article...
    11-10-14 08:03 AM
    He's something....and she's something else.

Posted via CB10
    11-10-14 08:41 AM
    Mr. Chen told the news outlet that BlackBerry erred when it “wandered off” to chase the consumer market, and while he halted its decline, “the hardest part is yet to come” in terms of growth.
    So what was the Z3? Wasn't that Chen's attempt at chasing the developing markets "consumer market" with a sub $200 device that never really made it to sub? While a limited test that didn't lose them much (and didn't gain them much either), it was a consumer device.

Didn't BlackBerry once own the WHOLE smartphone market - business and consumers?

I do understand that Apple and Google changed the consumer market, but I think if they had reacted that BlackBerry could have rode that change. But yes at this point the consumer market and it's reliance on ecosystems has put BlackBerry in a tough spot. Especially when many business users are just as interested in Apps as their consumer counterparts.. Which really leave BlackBerry with only the highly regulated industries.
    11-10-14 09:56 AM
    Haha yeah this is actually quite funny to read. At least it wasn't an iPhone!

Posted via the Z30 on CB10
    11-10-14 01:32 PM
    Nothing wrong with that, he's telling it as it is. His wife doesn't need to love his products... it's not like she's getting a paid sponsorship deal

Posted via CB10
    I think it's great that she tells him "why" she "loves her Samsung".
    11-10-14 03:36 PM
    I think it's great that she tells him "why" she "loves her Samsung".
    Agreed...
    11-10-14 03:46 PM
    Didn't BlackBerry once own the WHOLE smartphone market - business and consumers?
    Not really. Even if you look at Comscore data, they never really had even 50% of a much smaller market. They were the biggest player at the time, but there was always competition. They started in enterprise, enterprise bled into consumer, but consumer growth was what caused the market to really explode. And they did so without a consumer product really (their products were enterprise products tweaked for consumers). When the market passed them buy with accelerated iPhone sales, they jumped in with a multi-billion dollar attempt with a product that was more heavily targeted at consumers and it didn't work.

I think if they had reacted that BlackBerry could have rode that change.
    BlackBerry did react. It's a common misnomer that they ignored the market. The bigger issue was how they executed. It took them a long time to execute even though they did absolutely try.

They had touch screen devices (Storm, Storm 2, Torch etc) but it was really PlayBook and Z10 timeframes where they had an OS that was naturally Touch Screen friendly.

They made an app store right away, but it took a long time for carriers to roll it out and it took until PlayBook before it was the default place to get apps.

They tried to be app friendly with dev tools, dev sites, dev relations, dev conferences, but it took until the BlackBerry 10 launch before they could really work past a lot of the fragmented platform issues that had plagued them

They tried to adapt the aging BlackBerry OS to do more things that would appeal to consumers (ie. webkit browser, universal search, notifications, built in social networking) but they tried it on an aging platform being asked to do more than it was intended before starting over in the public eye.

Personally, I blame Mike and Jim for not shaking the pot more. I don't believe they "ignored" the market as much as some suggest, but they didn't really shake the world in order to get their teams to solve the serious issues. For a long time, their momentum fended off competitors, but then they hit a series of walls and here we are.

Imagine what the world would have been like had Mike secretly started working on BlackBerry 10 in 2008; had Mike and Jim resigned a year earlier and John Chen came in as CEO instead of Thorsten? (Maybe keeping Thorsten as a true COO).

I imagine a lot of companies have a hard time letting go of what made them successful in the first place.
    Bobert_123 and Bigruss8 like this.
    11-10-14 03:48 PM
    I'm still wondering why someone's would bring their wife to a party.
    11-10-14 03:50 PM
    Looks like her samsung may be powered by BlackBerry now anyways

Posted via CB10
    11-13-14 08:25 PM
    Looks like her samsung may be powered by BlackBerry now anyways

Posted via CB10
    Lol he plugs samsung and then the next day announces a partnership to the dismay of some here on CB.

Posted via CB10
    11-13-14 08:54 PM
    It would be nice if his wife had a product which simply worked simply.

Oh, you mean BlackBerry PlayBook, yes I mean BlackBerry PlayBook where there is no fafing about with accounts and lol la lay.
    Simply put your BlackBerry account in and off you go.

jtvberry
    11-17-14 10:05 AM
    Well realistically it doesn't matter. It's not like his wife is on the news all the time like he is.

Posted via CB10
    11-17-14 10:49 AM
    Well realistically it doesn't matter. It's not like his wife is on the news all the time like he is.

Posted via CB10
    Am sure you mean news, as in BB news and not news anywhere else?

jtvberry
    11-17-14 11:06 AM