Is it just me or is this another great sign that BlackBerry isn't taking crap from anyone anymore.

Hopefully they days of getting stepped on and pushed aside are over.

Next is to stop the sale of Ryan Seacrest keyboards!

BlackBerry Ltd did not infringe on Mformation Technologies patents, appeals court rules | Financial Post

Posted via CB10
    08-23-14 07:13 AM
    Let's hope that is the case!!!!
    08-23-14 07:16 AM
    Yes! 7 years of litigation finally over. BlackBerry has one of the largest patent portfolios on the planet and were always on the defensive. I think Chen created this new business unit to be on the offensive.

Samsung and Apple, get your pens and checkbooks ready! November 2014 is coming.

P.S. Payable to Steve Zipperstein.

Posted via CB10
    notafanboy and bungaboy like this.
    08-23-14 10:43 AM
    Kind of odd that the judges name is Chen.

My Canada My BlackBerry My Z30
    theRock1975 likes this.
    08-23-14 10:48 AM
    This company should be required to pay for BB's legal fees...

?Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    bungaboy likes this.
    08-23-14 12:05 PM
    This company should be required to pay for BB's legal fees...

Isn't that how it works? If the defendant wins, their expenses are reimbursed by the one suing?

Posted via CB10
    08-23-14 12:42 PM
    Isn't that how it works? If the defendant wins, their expenses are reimbursed by the one suing?

Posted via CB10
    Yes, in California anyways.
    theRock1975 likes this.
    08-23-14 01:21 PM

Posted via CB10
    I don't think that's the case 100% of the time. Things like court fees, yes, but attorney fees and other costs resulting from it, I think it depends...

08-23-14 02:52 PM
    Yes, in California anyways.
    Actually, California follows the "American Rule" in court, which states both parties are responsible for their own legal costs. Regardless the suit.

The only exceptions being at the discretion of the courts. Which usually happens when the court determines that the suit was frivolous, or the plaintiff fails to demonstrate just cause for suing to begin with. Or when one party or the other sues for the costs and can convince the court or jury that they deserve reimbursement.

Winning a case in and of itself does not warrant reimbursement.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    theRock1975 likes this.
    08-23-14 02:59 PM
    Actually, California follows the "American Rule" in court, which states both parties are responsible for their own legal costs. Regardless the suit.

The only exceptions being at the discretion of the courts. Which usually happens when the court determines that the suit was frivolous, or the plaintiff fails to demonstrate just cause for suing to begin with. Or when one party or the other sues for the costs and can convince the court or jury that they deserve reimbursement.

Winning a case in and of itself does not warrant reimbursement.

I think they are talking about court fees, which is what I think I accidentally said, and in that case, the loser tends to be stuck with the court fees. But other costs like attorneys and loss in business, yes, that's up to the individuals...

08-23-14 03:06 PM
    I think they are talking about court fees, which is what I think I accidentally said, and in that case, the loser tends to be stuck with the court fees. But other costs like attorneys and loss in business, yes, that's up to the individuals...

Court fees are paid by the petitioner/plaintiff. They're the one to file. And can ask for those costs to be awarded as damages (which is still at court's discretion).

The defendant doesn't accrue court fees. Their fees are all attorney fees. Any other costs that may be incurred (ie.. Forensic tests, expert/rebuttal witnesses, etc..) would also be considered attorney fees since it's the attorneys requesting said services on their client's behalf.

A defendant that wins wouldn't have any court costs to be reimbursed. All costs would be attorney fees.

Last edited by DenverRalphy; 08-23-14 at 03:33 PM.
    08-23-14 03:13 PM
    DenverRalphy, you are correct in your summation of costs in civil court. I've forgotten a few things in 8+ years of retirement.
    08-23-14 06:02 PM
    Its funny Mformation has RIM listed as a technology partner on their website

Partners | Mformation
    theRock1975 likes this.
    08-23-14 06:53 PM
    Looks good that they got the right to another trial. More litigation, but it's great to go down fighting.

The suit though....managing wireless something over a network? Sounds like everyone can sue for that.

Posted via CB10
    08-24-14 08:13 AM
    Definitely good to see that BlackBerry is defending its patents. I think that's a very important part of the company.

Posted using my Z10 via CB10
    08-31-14 06:04 PM