10-01-14 10:41 AM
29 12
tools
    I don't even think Apple is as untouchable as folks might think. It's PR machine is scary, yes, but even Apple can't continue to make mistakes and shrug them off like it used to.

As BBRY continues to make better business decisions, it'll get kinder press. It'll take time, but BBRY dug the hole, and in this business, it takes a while to get out of it.
    I agree. BlackBerry is on the right path but it dug itself the hole. The passport release was important as it showcases a Bold design and the power of BB10. It was a great release and it took the moniker of innovation away from Apple. That hurt. Keep turning out interesting products and BlackBerry will be fine. Apple's problem is that they are stuck with iOS and they just can't squeeze any more juice out of it. The macro kernel design is just not flexible or reliable enough to keep up with the rate of change in the mobile field. BlackBerry 's bet with QNX and micro kernel design is starting to pay off in spades.

Posted via CB10
    10-01-14 06:34 AM
    Advanced iOS virus targeting Hong Kong protestors -security firm | Reuters

Security they said. Safest OS they said.

Posted via CB10
    Ohh wow. This is huge. It's not even a malicious app.
    Wow, nothing like checking into the facts first.

FACT: Your iOS device have to be jailbroken
    FACT: You have to have WhatsApp installed
    FACT: You have to accept a random suspicious message on WhatsApp and install suspicious software on your device. Would you accept a messages that came from an unknown phone number, reading: “Check out this Android app designed by Code4HK, group of activist coders, for the coordination of Occupy Central!”

So, if you go through all the effort to put suspicious software on your device, accept the consequences. The app in question is NOT available on the Apple App Store... Sorry to rain on your parade, with such minor details as FACTS!

Malware program targets Hong Kong protesters using Apple devices | PCWorld
    10-01-14 07:39 AM
    Wow, nothing like checking into the facts first.

FACT: Your iOS device have to be jailbroken
    FACT: You have to have WhatsApp installed
    FACT: You have to accept a random suspicious message on WhatsApp and install suspicious software on your device. Would you accept a messages that came from an unknown phone number, reading: “Check out this Android app designed by Code4HK, group of activist coders, for the coordination of Occupy Central!”

So, if you go through all the effort to put suspicious software on your device, accept the consequences. The app in question is NOT available on the Apple App Store... Sorry to rain on your parade, with such minor details as FACTS!

Malware program targets Hong Kong protesters using Apple devices | PCWorld
    Social engineering. The one real weak point of security that likely can never be contained because human beings are what they are.
    10-01-14 08:33 AM
    Apple made a lot of money for many people and I, too, believe that some people are defending their finances when they stick up for Apple. In fact, when I suggested that on another forum three years ago, one reply was that I should have got in on it too. So I am quite certain some people are simply allied with Apple because of their appreciation of stock returns and some associated gratitude / loyalty. Some others are simply interested because stuff like click-bait articles lead to good profits.

However, I'd been using Macs since 2002 (until earlier this year) and the fanboy streak is very strong in some. In 2004, I lost data due to some bug on OSX 10.4. When I posted on a forum I'd been frequenting for 4-5 years, asking if anything could be done to recover data after the fact, I was accused of fabricating the issue. That was before any major stock gains.

Some Apple users are truly drones. I do believe that smaller screens are better suited to single-handed use, but not that there's a magic size for everyone. I do like excellent build quality, but realize coke cans are aluminum too. I never understood how people were so eager to downplay the importance of cameras before iPhone 4 and yet it's a very big deal that the iPhone must be proven to have the best camera ever.

I mean, people's positions on various tradeoffs may change, but if they always are in the direction a company is pointing, maybe that does mean that the person is a straight up fanboy.

Of course there are many as repellant Android, etc. users, but none are as enabled by receptive media coverage.
    10-01-14 10:41 AM
29 12