Wouldn't BlackBerry making an Android phone be a slap in the face to Samsung? Assuming that BlackBerry is helping Samsung secure their phones, in trade for access to some hardware (curved screen and who knows what else), I just don't see how Samsung would be ok with what BlackBerry would be doing. Not only would it be direct competition, they would be using Samsung's own hardware to do it! The only thing that would make sense would be if BlackBerry already told them their plan, but then why would Samsung agree? It wouldn't benefit them at all.

Posted via CB10
    07-04-15 10:47 AM
    What if it was at least as much a Samsung phone as a BlackBerry one, with BB pretty much taking the role of design house and licence provider?
    07-04-15 11:01 AM
    The extent of the Blackberry-Samsung partnership, like the Amazon partnership, is exaggerated. (Most likely by investors trying to create a narrative to pump BBRY stock.)

Samsung has partnered with a number of companies to secure/support its devices, not just Blackberry/BES. Not sure if Samsung would be upset.

The curved screen rumor is interesting, though. Not sure if Samsung intends to keep the screens exclusive to BBRY and itself or sell them to everyone.
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    07-04-15 11:15 AM
    Samsung has partnered with a number of companies to secure/support its devices, not just Blackberry/BES. Not sure if Samsung would be upset.
    Have they partnered with other companies who compete directly with them, though?

Also, if an Android device has been in BlackBerry's wheel house for some time now, it wouldn't make much sense what BlackBerry did either. Why would they offer to secure Samsung's devices, when they want to sell their own secure Android devices? BES is one thing, but security on the device level is a whole other thing that BlackBerry would want to keep as a competitive advantage. Maybe I'm not understanding the extent of security that BlackBerry helped Samsung with?

Posted via CB10
    07-04-15 11:34 AM
    I'm pretty sure that BB's contributions to Samsung's Knox security was a monetary (or licensing) exchange. All the tech companies contribute to each other at some level. Samsung and BB haven't "partnered" so much as they've simply done business with each other, which is very common in the industry. If BB uses Samsung components in their upcoming rumored (heavy emphasis on the rumored) Android device, it will be because BB purchased those components from Samsung. Samsung sells components to many of their competitors (especially their AMOLED displays), which basically puts money into Samsung's pockets for each competitor's device. And the beauty of it is that they get that money for the device just being built, regardless whether it has sold or not.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    07-04-15 11:45 AM
    Have they partnered with other companies who compete directly with them, though?

Posted via CB10
    Apple is a hug buyer of their parts for iPads and iPhones... which compete directly with Samsung. They would be suing each other back and forth, but still had a deal when it came to Samsung supplying parts.

And let's be real.. a BlackBerry running Android won't be doing any real damage to Samsung's marketshare. Motorola and HTC barely compete with Samsung, and an Android powered BlackBerry will likely sell even less.

Posted via CB10
    07-04-15 12:17 PM
    Apple is a hug buyer of their parts for iPads and iPhones... which compete directly with Samsung. They would be suing each other back and forth, but still had a deal when it came to Samsung supplying parts.

And let's be real.. a BlackBerry running Android won't be doing any real damage to Samsung's marketshare. Motorola and HTC barely compete with Samsung, and an Android powered BlackBerry will likely sell even less.
    I don't know... Samsung is obviously the biggest Android player, but they are also spending a lot of money promoting Knox and their security. It still doesn't, fundamentally, make sense to me that if BlackBerry were going to try to sell an Android phone, obviously marketed on security and pkb, why would they help improve Knox for Samsung? I don't think there was any huge monetary gain reported on the quarterly, so what else would be the purpose (assuming that BB is going to make an Android phone)? From Samsung's pov, maybe helping BlackBerry out with some hardware isn't a big deal, but for BlackBerry, who would already be coming from WAY behind, why help the competition?

Posted via CB10
    07-04-15 02:31 PM
    I don't know... Samsung is obviously the biggest Android player, but they are also spending a lot of money promoting Knox and their security. It still doesn't, fundamentally, make sense to me that if BlackBerry were going to try to sell an Android phone, obviously marketed on security and pkb, why would they help improve Knox for Samsung?
    BBRY didn't help Samsung "improve"/contribute to Knox from as far as I can tell. It merely offers BES support (as an EMM solution) for Knox devices.

BlackBerry

The two technologies behind Knox and BES are completely independent of each other and serve different purposes. Samsung also has partnerships with other EMM providers, that directly compete with BES, to support Knox devices.

As for why BBRY would "partner" with Samsung, it is BBRY's goal to be a leading cross platform EMM provider. This has been stated to be BBRY's primary focus at the moment and not hardware. If BBRY were not to support a potentially big mobile player like Knox for its EMM solution, BES would be disregarded by many potential clients.
    Last edited by sentimentGX4; 07-04-15 at 03:07 PM.
    07-04-15 02:57 PM
    BBRY didn't help Samsung "improve"/contribute to Knox from as far as I can tell. It merely offers BES support (as an EMM solution) for Knox devices.

BlackBerry

The two technologies behind Knox and BES are completely independent of each other and serve different purposes. Samsung also has partnerships with other EMM providers, that directly compete with BES, to support Knox devices.

As for why BBRY would "partner" with Samsung, it is BBRY's goal to be a leading cross platform EMM provider. This has been stated to be BBRY's primary focus at the moment and not hardware. If BBRY were not to support a potentially big mobile player like Knox for its EMM solution, BES would be disregarded by many potential clients.
    I just did a little research. BlackBerry helped incorporate Worklife into Knox, which is a pretty substantial feature. Can you get Worklife on iOS as well? If so, then I guess not a big deal.

http://press.blackberry.com/press/20...x-and-the.html

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by hoopitz; 07-04-15 at 08:51 PM.
    Reed Richards likes this.
    07-04-15 08:26 PM
    I just did a little research. BlackBerry helped incorporate Worklife into Knox, which is a pretty substantial feature. Can you get Worklife on iOS as well? If so, then I guess not a big deal.
    From BlackBerry's own WorkLife page:

WorkLife by BlackBerry precisely distinguishes between work use and personal use of an iPhone, Android™ or BlackBerry smartphone by introducing separate lines managed by the enterprise.
    07-05-15 10:10 AM
    I don't think Samsung really worries about competition all that much. At least not to the extent to refuse to do business with them. They have such a huge portfolio of product offerings, they're bound to be in competition with many of their own customers (of their components)

Seeing as many of their competitors use Samsung made components anyway, it's all money in Samsung's pocket. Buy Samsung? Money. Buy a competitor using Samsung components? Money.
    07-06-15 01:28 AM
    Is it gonna be QNoX powered....?

:-D

  Chendroid or not? - QNoX powered ftw...?  
    07-06-15 05:44 AM
    We don't even have to extrapolate.
    Wont.happen.stop.this.please !
    RyanGermann likes this.
    07-06-15 07:55 AM
    I think people are reading a lot into these rumors. They could be true but Chen did say if he is able to secure android he will build it.

So the could just be testing it on the slider hardware and still come out with BB10 on the slider. Also this is not the first time BB has toyed with Android on their devices. Before the release of the playbook they had put android on various tablets to play around with what it would look like,
    07-06-15 08:08 AM