02-03-19 06:39 AM
69 123
tools
    Seems Android Q will have some DTEK like functionality built in to the OS.

https://www.xda-developers.com/andro...ission-revamp/

There's a video walkthrough of some of the features here (starts at around 4:22)

01-17-19 02:51 PM
    Interesting.. I mean everything that DTEK does by way of permissions already exists in Android, just all rather buried, but this actually might help improve DTEK.
    01-17-19 06:35 PM
    Does anyone offer an app that will turn off selected permissions automatically for all apps in the background? It's incredibly annoying that apps will offer a convenient pop-up to allow permissions when an app requires them, but the user has to remover to dig into settings three or four levels to turn those permissions off after closing the app. I waste 5-10 minutes each day resetting my permissions, and it seems an obvious task for an app.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    01-17-19 06:49 PM
    Wow...Google picked up security (updates) and now the privacy. And now dark mode too. What's left for BlackBerry?
    farmwersteve likes this.
    01-17-19 07:13 PM
    Wow...Google picked up security (updates) and now the privacy. And now dark mode too. What's left for BlackBerry?
    If you’re referring to BB Ltd, I’m assuming the enterprise businesses they’re already in. BBMo is paying it's dues to BB Ltd so that seems ok for now. Sounds like good timing for shutting down BBOS and BB10 though....
    01-17-19 07:53 PM
    Interesting.. I mean everything that DTEK does by way of permissions already exists in Android, just all rather buried, but this actually might help improve DTEK.
    I think it's a double edged sword where on one hand it'll help improve DTEK but it could also take away a unique selling point from BlackBerry devices if Android's native implementation ends up being "good enough" for most users.
    01-17-19 09:04 PM
    Does anyone offer an app that will turn off selected permissions automatically for all apps in the background? It's incredibly annoying that apps will offer a convenient pop-up to allow permissions when an app requires them, but the user has to remover to dig into settings three or four levels to turn those permissions off after closing the app. I waste 5-10 minutes each day resetting my permissions, and it seems an obvious task for an app.

I haven't used it but have you looked into Bouncer?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ton.permission
    01-17-19 09:08 PM
    I think it's a double edged sword where on one hand it'll help improve DTEK but it could also take away a unique selling point from BlackBerry devices if Android's native implementation ends up being "good enough" for most users.
    Yeah, can def. see it that way as well. Very good point.
    01-17-19 09:50 PM
    If you’re referring to BB Ltd, I’m assuming the enterprise businesses they’re already in. BBMo is paying it's dues to BB Ltd so that seems ok for now. Sounds like good timing for shutting down BBOS and BB10 though....
    ...but don't forget that Google Play is full of trash ....
    i_plod_an_dr_void likes this.
    01-18-19 08:16 AM
    With almost three million apps, there will always be something that manages to slip through the cracks. But there is no doubt that Google works very hard at preventing it.
    01-18-19 08:48 AM
    If that’s you’re comparison, that would make BBW a sewer. The majority of apps now are either Android ports or useless garbage since paid apps were removed....the question was specifically, what’s left for BlackBerry and I answered that specific question......

For BB10 to be successful, it would have required the Android business model and was attempting to do that. If BB had the economic resources and started development in 2005, to rollout at same time as Google introduced Android, it would have still needed to follow the Google playbook. In essence it would be the data miner instead of Google Android, for revenue purposes. If perhaps a year earlier, it could be IOS fighting Android instead. Either way, it would have been collecting data the same way compared with Android/IOS business models. The point is that privacy isn’t a selling point, even for Android Q if that happens.
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    01-18-19 08:50 AM
    It's telling that BlackBerry hasn't bothered to update their whitepapers or feature guides from the Lollipop days....
    01-18-19 09:43 AM
    It's telling that BlackBerry hasn't bothered to update their whitepapers or feature guides from the Lollipop days....
    The lack of communication from BlackBerry is, unfortunately, par for the course.
    01-18-19 10:21 AM
    Physical keyboards, which is all they really had in the first place.
    01-18-19 05:18 PM
    If all Android devices will have DTEK like features soon, BB will need to do something with DTEK to make it relevant again.

I'm hoping for a Firewall.
    01-18-19 10:16 PM
    [QUOTE=chetmanley;13336861]If all Android devices will have DTEK like features soon, BB will need to do something with DTEK to make it relevant again.

I'm hoping for a Firewall.[/QUOTE @BB_RobertL

I hope the Cylance machine learning technology will be put to good use in DTEK.
    CrackPriv likes this.
    01-18-19 10:24 PM
    Sad but true. BlackBerry of old had amazing UI design, ergonomics, etc., but almost none of that translated to Android as the old BlackBerry design and UX teams are long, long gone.

elfabio80 and bbfanfan like this.
    01-18-19 11:21 PM
    but it could also take away a unique selling point from BlackBerry devices if Android's native implementation ends up being "good enough" for most users.
    Zip, zero, nada is good enough for most users... in their mind. The dream that security would break into the consumer sector has been hoped for over a decade now. The average consumer is more concerned with who will win the Voice.
    01-18-19 11:47 PM
    Seems Android Q will have some DTEK like functionality built in to the OS.

https://www.xda-developers.com/andro...ission-revamp/

There's a video walkthrough of some of the features here (starts at around 4:22)
    That privacy feature was actually under the setting-permission since android M. Dtek app is a polish version of that. But this Q makes it even clear transparent.
    CrackPriv likes this.
    01-18-19 11:48 PM
    I don't know why they don't just lose the smoke and mirrors and expend their resources on stock Android, current OS, and actual monthly updates.

They also ought to take advantage of their heads up with Android Q with their DTEK app. Now is time to move it over to the Hub+ Suite and make it available to all Android users.

Hopefully they are planning the same for the keyboard. Both of these additions will make for a much more compelling and fullsome Hub+ package.
    01-19-19 10:47 AM
    I don't know why they don't just lose the smoke and mirrors and expend their resources on stock Android, current OS, and actual monthly updates.

They also ought to take advantage of their heads up with Android Q with their DTEK app. Now is time to move it over to the Hub+ Suite and make it available to all Android users.

Hopefully they are planning the same for the keyboard. Both of these additions will make for a much more compelling and fullsome Hub+ package.
    DTEK is the user face of Integrity Detection. This requires deep system-level access, which would not work on non-BlackBerry devices.

There is a LOT more to DTEK than just a permission manager.
    01-19-19 10:50 AM
    If all Android devices will have DTEK like features soon, BB will need to do something with DTEK to make it relevant again.

I'm hoping for a Firewall.
    I do wonder how large the BB Android team is and if new features are a priority for them. Locker, Dual Apps, etc were TCL additions IIRC.

Zip, zero, nada is good enough for most users... in their mind. The dream that security would break into the consumer sector has been hoped for over a decade now. The average consumer is more concerned with who will win the Voice.
    If security/privacy is a selling point for a user (enough for them to compare features anyway) I think it could make an impact. How big this group of users is remains to be seen I guess but with billions of Android users even a small percentage could be substantial.
    01-19-19 11:58 AM
    If security/privacy is a selling point for a user (enough for them to compare features anyway) I think it could make an impact. How big this group of users is remains to be seen I guess but with billions of Android users even a small percentage could be substantial.
    That's the thing, the only non-keyboard differentiating factor for the BB brand is whatever they claim to do to Android to harden it, which desperately needs an audit. Other than that, they're invariably behind Google/some other OEMs on both monthlies and major updates (especially the latter), and in terms of privacy TCL is shady even by Chinese standards.
    01-19-19 12:23 PM
    That's the thing, the only non-keyboard differentiating factor for the BB brand is whatever they claim to do to Android to harden it, which desperately needs an audit. Other than that, they're invariably behind Google/some other OEMs on both monthlies and major updates (especially the latter), and in terms of privacy TCL is shady even by Chinese standards.
    Agreed, it would be nice to know where BB Android is at security wise now (either from BlackBerry or a third party) and what BlackBerry is doing to set the OS apart from other Android variants (AOSP, Knox, etc).

They have a GitHub repository that shows how apps can integrate with BB Android's security features but it hasn't been updated since the Priv.

https://github.com/blackberry/Android-Samples
    01-19-19 06:47 PM
    Has Google picked up the Hub too? No. So there's something BlackBerry still has left to work on.
    01-19-19 06:57 PM
69 123