07-11-14 08:53 AM
42 12
tools
    Even if security/piracy is not a concern for Android devs, compatibility with Android Wear certainly is and that will require GFS.
    And it's not just Android Wear, either, but also Android Auto, Android TV, and other future lines of business. Google is going to tie all of those to GSF, for many reasons, and for certain, one of those reasons is to keep other companies (of which there are many) from poaching off of Google Play. I don't think Google cares too much either way about BB (BB certainly is no threat to Google right now), but they definitely ARE concerned about Samsung, Microsoft/Nokia, and even Facebook and Amazon, all of whom have tried to grab as much of Google's stuff as they could.
    JeepBB likes this.
    07-07-14 08:51 PM
    So do I understand correctly that , in the future (say in 1 to 2 years), bb will have to have Google services to benefit from the new runtime and the related apk's?

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    07-08-14 01:02 AM
    So do I understand correctly that , in the future (say in 1 to 2 years), bb will have to have Google services to benefit from the new runtime and the related apk's?

It is a possibility.... Depends on IF developers embrace Google solution for piracy of their Apps. Depends on IF Amazon comes up with their own "services" that also prevent piracy but allows APK's to be ran on Android Devices and devices using an Android Runtime. Then it will depend on how many developers choose to bring their apps to the Amazon Store....

Android is OPEN to the world... but Google has been installing some locks on the doors and windows. Maybe it's to keep all their developers safe and sound inside their house, and maybe it is a means to keep out all these 3rd party apps stores and now other Platforms that want to use what Google has built.

If there is a future for BlackBerry and it's hardware... it's going to eventually have to be officially part of one on the existing ecosystems. I don't see even Amazon having the ability to keep their Kindle Store open long term. Even now one of the most search things for Kindle users is how to install Android Apps not in the Kindle store.
    07-08-14 10:00 AM
    Thanks, so it goes along the direction I was thinking, that Google services will somehow become a necessity, not now but in a few years. I dont mind seeing more integration of that in BB10 or BB11...I use gmail and gmaps basically and I would like to see that brought to the BB10 platform
    07-08-14 11:33 AM
    Thanks, so it goes along the direction I was thinking, that Google services will somehow become a necessity, not now but in a few years. I dont mind seeing more integration of that in BB10 or BB11...I use gmail and gmaps basically and I would like to see that brought to the BB10 platform

This is the problem because: Google services will never come to BlackBerry phones. Google services will never be integrated into BB10 phones.

So if Google convinces the majority of developers to write their apps with Google services, then the majority of Android apps won't run on BB10 (and never will since BB10 will never ever get Google services).

However, as far as ART goes : it will probably be good for BlackBerry (as far as Android performance), assuming they adopt it (ART is open source, so they can incorporate it into BB10 if they wish).

The problem is not ART, but proprietary Google APIs.

Posted via CB10
    07-08-14 12:35 PM
    This is the problem because: Google services will never come to BlackBerry phones. Google services will never be integrated into BB10 phones.

So if Google convinces the majority of developers to write their apps with Google services, then the majority of Android apps won't run on BB10 (and never will since BB10 will never ever get Google services).

However, as far as ART goes : it will probably be good for BlackBerry (as far as Android performance), assuming they adopt it (ART is open source, so they can incorporate it into BB10 if they wish).

The problem is not ART, but proprietary Google APIs.
    Posted via CB10
    `
    OK so google services are not embedded somehow in the ART, but what if BB10 finally picks up and that BB10 devices gain some volume, I remember that google said that if the volume is there, they will consider bringing their services to it. I fail to see why it will never happen...
    07-08-14 12:56 PM
    `
    OK so google services are not embedded somehow in the ART, but what if BB10 finally picks up and that BB10 devices gain some volume, I remember that google said that if the volume is there, they will consider bringing their services to it. I fail to see why it will never happen...
    This right here. They'll do the same thing they did with iOS. Google apps without the need for an actual Google services running in the background.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3247
    07-08-14 01:06 PM
    `
    A long way to go. Windows phone has several times the marketshare of BB and Google basically ignores them. Apple is unique in that ignoring up to 50% of the market like in the States is not possible. Think about it, if BB ever got back to its former glory do you really think they'd latch on to Google apps?
    07-08-14 01:24 PM
    A long way to go. Windows phone has several times the marketshare of BB and Google basically ignores them. Apple is unique in that ignoring up to 50% of the market like in the States is not possible. Think about it, if BB ever got back to its former glory do you really think they'd latch on to Google apps?
    Windows phone has several times the market share of BB? Again I don't know where people get this. Definitely not in North America.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3247
    07-08-14 01:35 PM
    Windows phone has several times the market share of BB? Again I don't know where people get this. Definitely not in North America.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3247
    Get familiar with Kantar I'm referring to sales marketshare not installed base, as sales is a leading indicator. But BB10 is tiny anyway on that one as well. Lets go with your side of things. Windows now has a installed base larger than BB as a smartphone platform in the states. See latest Comscore.
    Android L impact on runtime in bb10 ?-top-smartphone-platforms-may-2014-325x325.png
    JeepBB likes this.
    07-08-14 01:58 PM
    This right here. They'll do the same thing they did with iOS. Google apps without the need for an actual Google services running in the background.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3247
    Which would be preferred, IMHO.

This is one reason I think BBRY should continue pushing native development, by the way.
    07-08-14 06:38 PM
    Sure, but Google used to be on bb. And the situation is different from windows I think because of the runtime and because bb is the solution in regulated industry, sort of making them unavoidable. But I agree that the volume is not there, for that countries like India Indonesia etc will help a lot!!!

07-09-14 01:56 AM
    I'd like to see the apps built by Google for BB10 like they've done for iOS. If I'm not mistaken, there are no services needing to be installed. I, personally, think Google have some really cool apps, nice UI, and more things with all their acquisitions. As things like Smartwatches and connected home become popular, it seems Google is at the heart of it. If they were to give BB10 users a taste of Google apps with a few of them, it may entice some users to switch devices, so it wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing for Google, but whether or not they think it's worth the time and money is another question.
    07-09-14 06:32 AM
    I'd like to see the apps built by Google for BB10 like they've done for iOS. If I'm not mistaken, there are no services needing to be installed. I, personally, think Google have some really cool apps, nice UI, and more things with all their acquisitions. As things like Smartwatches and connected home become popular, it seems Google is at the heart of it. If they were to give BB10 users a taste of Google apps with a few of them, it may entice some users to switch devices, so it wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing for Google, but whether or not they think it's worth the time and money is another question.
    Google needed and wanted iOS users way back when they started supporting iOS. And even now that is such a large and "valuable" userbase, they just can't be ignored. Windows Phone users, BlackBerry users.... they are a combined less than 5% of the market in many areas. And let's face it they aren't usually big consumers - BlackBerry is now pretty much either a locked down corporate device or a developing market device. Neither very attractive to an advertising company like Google.

As with everything else, it is the chicken / egg situation- If you have the userbase, the apps will come. If there were 100 million "consumer" user of BB10, Google would happily give us their Maps App or whatever other "G" app you want.

But Google Apps are not the same as Android Apps. Google as a developer could bring any of their apps to the BB10 Platform, if they wanted to without THE Google Services. So we would not get the "key" to unlocking every Android App that converts to the Google Services Framework.
    app_Developer likes this.
    07-09-14 08:14 AM
    An article published on AnandTech answers many of the questions that have been brought up here. Among other things:
    First, ART is designed to be fully compatible with Dalvik’s existing byte-code format, “dex” (Dalvik executable). As such, from a developer’s perspective, there are no changes at all in terms of having to write applications for one or the other runtime and no need to worry about compatibilities.
    Essentially, according to the article, ART compiles DEX (Dalvik executable) byte codes into ELF binaries that are then run on the real machine. So there are no pre-runtime changes. No need for developers to compile for one or the other for example. In theory a single device could run applications using either Dalvik, ART or both.
    07-10-14 09:36 AM
    An article published on AnandTech answers many of the questions that have been brought up here. Among other things:

Essentially, according to the article, ART compiles DEX (Dalvik executable) byte codes into ELF binaries that are then run on the real machine. So there are no pre-runtime changes. No need for developers to compile for one or the other for example. In theory a single device could run applications using either Dalvik, ART or both.
    Yes there are now very few apps that don't run equally well on Davlik and ART the remaining are mostly system oriented apps that use root which BB10 couldn't use anyway.
    kojita likes this.
    07-10-14 11:28 AM
    Yes, but probably 95% of those phones are in China or North Korea, both of which block Google Services anyway, so there's no impact for those phones.

In the west, 97-98% of Android phones are Google certified.
    Do you have any links to that info?

The GIF Exchange C001B7B16?
    07-11-14 08:53 AM
42 12