The word on BlackBerry releasing Android-based smartphones has really begun to snowball.

We first heard the rumor after Mobile World Congress 2015 and quietly announced it back in April during a podcast. Reuters then followed up with its own exclusive report claiming BlackBerry would be releasing Android-based smartphones.

We then heard even further that BlackBerry planned a low-end Android-based*smartphone codenamed “Prague.” Now, DigiTimes sources are corroborating the same story.

“While running on Android OS, the new BlackBerry smartphones will also integrate some software functions of BlackBerry OS and application services such as BES12, BBM and BlackBerry Blend,” claims DigiTimes’ sources.

BlackBerry will apparently roll out multiple models of Android-based smartphones in the second half of 2015, with Taiwan-based handset ODMs, including Foxconn Electronics, Compal Electronics and Wistron serving as production partners.

“The roll-out of Android-based BlackBerry phones is unlikely to result in losses at BlackBerry since these Taiwan-based ODMs will be responsible for R&D, marketing and channel distribution expenses,” indicated DigiTimes’ sources.

The idea for expanding to Android-based smartphones is apparently due to*BlackBerry*still enjoying a high brand image in a number of markets. DigiTimes’ sources claim, “BlackBerry-ODM partnerships might be able to ramp up overall shipments of BlackBerry phones and therefore boosting the value of BlackBerry’s hardware business unit.”
    N4BB - DigiTimes

Posted via CB10 on my BlackBerry Passport | Been around the world, don't speak the language but workin' wide need no explainin'
    07-09-15 07:44 AM
    So pretty much BlackBerry will be effectively exiting hardware and licensing its brand name to other OEMs?

Called this pretty early on. I do think that the Blackberry brand has lots of value so this is a smart direction for the company.

Would not be surprised to see one of the OEMs outright purchase the Blackberry name later on so Blackberry could focus on enterprise software, instead.
    07-09-15 07:48 AM
    N4BB - DigiTimes

Posted via CB10 on my BlackBerry Passport | Been around the world, don't speak the language but workin' wide need no explainin'
    Is the Prague one of those?

Edit: Yes it is
    09-17-15 12:08 AM
    It's not hard to imagine. Once you put the work in for one, you're gonna do another one, two, three...

:-)

The Slider though is a good idea as a high-specced differentiator device.

  Leakers' gonna leak... :-)  
    09-17-15 12:29 AM
    Ya.. making secure Android phones is a legit business and the name /reputation would be worth serious dollars for an acquiring firm.

Makes a lot of sense. Hardware is low margin. BlackBerry won't stay in the business long term.

Posted via  BlackBerry Z30
    09-17-15 07:26 AM
    I want to see a bootloader for existing bb10 phones to party pate in Android Secured as well. If BlackBerry did this a LOT of users would be happy as well as Enterprise users having a forward vote of confidence in them.

Posted via CB10
    09-17-15 07:31 AM
    I want to see a bootloader for existing bb10 phones to party pate in Android Secured as well. If BlackBerry did this a LOT of users would be happy as well as Enterprise users having a forward vote of confidence in them.

Posted via CB10
    I'm sure you know making customers happy isn't on the top of the things BlackBerry is known for...(STORM, PlayBook, BB10) We can all hope, but as no one has "leaked" any signs of Classic's, Q's or Z's with Android on them, it's doubtful they are going to bother with them. And too be honest I kinda doubt the Passport's that were sold with BB10 will be eligible either (but it is a maybe). Legal and licensing issue would most likely prevent that from being financially feasible for them.

Add to that the possibility that BB10 might not see another device and few if any updates....

I think there will be a number of users, including some key Enterprise customers.... that are going to feel like BlackBerry just shafted them (again). With the company still in pretty shaky financial shape, I'm not sure how many loyal customers or how much "high brand image" they will have after this latest transition. Plus most of the markets where BlackBerry still has "high brand image".... aren't markets where a $700+/- Slider is going to affordable.

I think this is more about NEW customers, and forget about the past.
    Supa_Fly1 likes this.
    09-17-15 08:04 AM
    The Andro-Loader is a dream, ... it's unlikely for 1st gen devices, but those "BB10 is obsolete" statements are not warranted...

...."Various mobile operating systems with different threat patterns..."

That's a phrase taken from a slide in the Knox / BES12 webcast. I know what that means. They're basically saying: "Some OSes are more vulnerable than others,..."

and we know BB10 is the one that stands out as the most secure offering ... :-D

  Leakers' gonna leak... :-)  
    09-17-15 07:39 PM
    Nope, I'm not buying it.

I truly believe Blackberry will provide a hybrid dual OS device with two phone numbers to boot. Think about all the folks carrying around a work phone and personal phone. Having a fully complete twinned OS personality device meets all the users needs in one one device and fixes the application gap while still maintaining the BB10 secure corporate communications. It may have some sort of sleep mode or quick boot, but I believe that's where this is all going. I simply can't believe that would move from a totally secure OS to the least secure OS on the market today. I also don't buy Blackberry will make or license the name to a low cost Android phone, for what purpose given their corporate focus ?

I think they're being very cute by only showing the Slider with Android apps, giving the (false) impression they're throwing in the towel on BB10. If I'm proved correct, this in one time Blackberry will have pulled of a little bit of marketing genius.
    09-17-15 08:12 PM
    Would not be surprised to see one of the OEMs outright purchase the Blackberry name later on so Blackberry could focus on enterprise software, instead.
    I also could see that happening. Isn't that sorta what happened with Lenovo "Thinkpads"? (Thinkpad was originally an IBM label)
    09-17-15 08:21 PM