They've already signed on about 40 partners. Wonder how this will affect QNX's car division, or if its like CarPlay in that it runs on top of QNX.

Google announces Android Auto, SDK available today | MobileSyrup.com
    06-25-14 02:35 PM
    Android Auto sits on top of the QNX Car automotive OS.

I don't have the link, but search for "Audio plans to begin introducing Android auto connection into vehicles in 2015"
    From the wall street journal.

Posted via CB10
    06-25-14 02:58 PM
    Personally I wasn't wow'd by the android auto demo. I think QNX car is a better platform.. BUT android has partners and claims it will have everyday cars for sale on car lots around the world THIS YEAR.. we know that QNX runs the back end for many auto makers but when it comes to the cool features and demos we've been seeing for the last few years they have yet to be more then a demo on a convention floor.. we still can't buy them.

Better is great but available is best.

Posted via CB10
    06-25-14 03:01 PM
    Ahh, so it's like carplay. Well it's good to know QNX is still involved. It's a shame that QNX Car isn't as highly touted or well known. I guess running the back end will suffice for them.
    06-25-14 03:07 PM
    If they'll use Android Auto, as the ONLY or MAIN car OS (so not on QNX), I'll never get into another car (same goes for apple crapple). Blink right and the car turns left from itself? Give us our android permissions or we post the picture on YouTube of your face hitting the airbag in about 10 seconds. Sorry, brakes are not supported under Gingerbread. Hope you are wearing a seat belt, have a nice day.
    Last edited by Mo Cat; 06-25-14 at 03:23 PM.
    06-25-14 03:12 PM
    QNX will still be there like a foundation to a house, but no one looks at the foundation when looking at houses to buy, consumers will just ask if an auto is compatible with Android Auto or Carplay.
    06-25-14 03:12 PM
    If Google can build a driverless car, an alternative for QNX would be easy for them.
    06-25-14 03:40 PM
    I'm sure they they will make BlackBerry Link available as well, you will probably have your chose i-play, Google car or BlackBerry Link but it will still be QNX running the critical systems.

Posted via CB10
    06-25-14 03:41 PM
    Android, so now when I get into my car itll ask for coins to start, then as I drive, ads will block the windshield, and as I am crashing itll beg me to buy extra lives as I am about to die?
    06-25-14 03:42 PM
    *sigh*

​Android auto can't function without QNX in some cases.

I wish people would stop confusing this stuff. QNX Auto is the underpinnings and only SOMETIMES the top layer. Android Auto is just like running a video on your dash, you still need a video player controlling it.

The same crap happened when Apple announced their stuff and no one learned anything from that. QNX does the work, Apple, Google etc take the credit because they are the consumer facing portion of things.
    smart548, playpen007 and rthonpm like this.
    06-25-14 03:44 PM
    No Android Auto is not going to eat QNX's lunch. QNX is going to continue to do what they have been doing.

But it will mean that QNX is going to remain way back in the background doing all the heavy lifting, while others get the glory as the User Interface to the systems that QNX controls and monitors. So QNX is going to remain the little company that it currently is with normal modest growth, but it is not about to breakout and be worth Billions to BlackBerry. Android and Apple will dominate the UI market... does the QNX UI do Instagram?
    06-25-14 03:46 PM