06-18-14 10:27 PM
103 1234 ...
tools
    Yes, but most of those low price Android phones aren't that great. If BlackBerry sell a premium phone for slightly lower price than the iPhone or GS5 that could be enough to get people to give BlackBerry a try.

Posted using my Z10 via CB10
    Z10 price was reduced several times but didn't help. Was $99 for a while.

Posted via CB10
    06-06-14 10:42 PM
    Z10 price was reduced several times but didn't help. Was $99 for a while.

Posted via CB10
    The Z10 wasn't the device it was promised to be, and it was released very late. On top of that when it was released it wasn't $99, it was much more. By the time they dropped the price it was too late.

I suggest that BlackBerry drop the price from the outset and on a device that is released on time and with competitive specs.

JeepBB and techvisor like this.
    06-06-14 11:11 PM
    The Z10 wasn't the device it was promised to be, and it was released very late. On top of that when it was released it wasn't $99, it was much more. By the time they dropped the price it was too late.

I suggest that BlackBerry drop the price from the outset and on a device that is released on time and with competitive specs.

Got you. They should time something with the next iPhone release which is going to tick everyone off when Apple drops the 3.5 mm jack.

Posted via CB10
    pakcikkayo likes this.
    06-06-14 11:38 PM
    Got you. They should time something with the next iPhone release which is going to tick everyone off when Apple drops the 3.5 mm jack.

Posted via CB10
    Heh-heh, gotta love Apple. Those guys really know how to sell and market.

Not content with making the most profit per phone sale, the change to the Lightning connector must have brought in millions more dollars on top.
    06-07-14 06:14 AM

Posted via CB10
    Apple is dropping the 3.5 mm jack on the next iPhone? What silly proprietary tech are they replacing it with?

06-07-14 09:51 AM
    Rumored specs are for headphones with own power source that require a different connection. They did just buy Beats which makes high end headphones. . .

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Emaderton3; 06-07-14 at 01:13 PM.
    06-07-14 12:09 PM
    Think beyond smartphone and BB and Amazon makes a lot of sense.

Amazon does cloud services for govt, to control everything from the cloud to the handset could give them a huge advantage.

Their NOC and QNX embeded systems in cars could allow for amazon based car services (cloud players, etc...).
    06-07-14 12:32 PM
    If the news results in Amazon beefing up their app store that would definitely be great news since those android apps are modified not to use google services and are all compatible with BB10.

Signature - Google wants your info. What are you gonna do about it?
    06-08-14 04:13 AM
    Well its a device for sure now. Just visit amazon's website its all out in the open.

Amazon's June 18th event-img_20140608_171411.png

Attached Thumbnails Amazon's June 18th event-img-20140608-wa002.jpg  
    06-08-14 04:15 AM
    Well its a device for sure now. Just visit amazon's website its all out in the open.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140608_171411.png 
Views:	1554 
Size:	162.9 KB 
ID:	276941

Yeah, I noticed that yesterday. Should be interesting.

06-08-14 05:45 AM
    it's their first smartphone - the one that apparent had a "3D" display.
    06-09-14 02:30 PM
    It is always good to have another out of contract option. Very curious to see the price of this device.

If nothing else the amazon app store should be growing soon. More options without the need of google play services.
    06-09-14 02:45 PM
    I am still thinking this is an update to the paperwhite kindle range, and the phone is not ready for prime time... Yet.

Either way, whatever this device is, amazon will sell it low, subsidised and the like. They do this with all their hardware, and they use those loss leaders as a gateway to their services. That's their money train.

Blackberry is not a part of that scheme. It's more likely that phone, with the 3d tech, is the new lumia flagship (also purportedly boasting some sort of 3d gubbins) than a blackberry joint venture. Unfortunate blackberry has nothing amazon would need... Chen needs to address this, and I hope to heaven the earnings call is somewhat positive, in some way!
    JeepBB likes this.
    06-12-14 08:49 AM
    Perhaps I'm crazy, but ever wonder if it's a coincidence that Amazon's event is on the June 18th and BlackBerry's quarterly results is on the 19th? Maybe it's a fluke.... OR....
    06-12-14 11:18 AM
    Amazon just launched a streaming music service for Prime members (I'm one), pretty cool. The downside is BlackBerry devices are apparently not supported from what I see at their website; so whatever phone they plan to announce I seriously doubt it will have anything to do with BlackBerry.

Amazon launches music streaming for Prime members: Associated Press Business News - MSN Money
    06-12-14 12:15 PM
    Why would that imply that there wasn't a deal between BlackBerry and amazon. BlackBerry's upgrade to 10.3 seems to be happening just after the amazon device announcement and the BlackBerry earnings report. If there was a deal between the two do you think they would announce it now with the new music streaming service. I'm pretty sure that would just make it easier to get the amazon app store on your BlackBerry device and you could just download the music service from there.

Posted via CB10
    06-12-14 12:36 PM
    It doesn't; however Amazon not offering an app for BlackBerry devices, regardless of what's to be announced regarding an Amazon phone, suggests to me the two companies haven't gotten cozy at all. Of course it's all speculation at this point.
    06-12-14 01:46 PM
    Why would they build an app now? In a few days BlackBerry will have 10.3 and maybe an amazon readily available on BlackBerry phones.

Posted via CB10
    06-12-14 01:52 PM
    Rumored specs are for headphones with own power source that require a different connection. They did just buy Beats which makes high end headphones. . .

Posted via CB10
    If Apple does this - they will get ripped by the media and eventually they will provide some kind of adapter.
    06-12-14 02:29 PM
    I'm not sure it is a phone. If you look at the video that it offers as their promo it seems to me to be something else. People in the video keep saying it follows you.
    Because it is a phone with a 3D display (using dual front camera to work out how you are looking at it) - it's the worst kept secret in tech.
    06-12-14 02:32 PM
    I watched the video judging by their arm and head movements, it is probably a 3D touch screen device.

Posted via CB10
    06-12-14 02:44 PM
    Because it is a phone with a 3D display (using dual front camera to work out how you are looking at it) - it's the worst kept secret in tech.
    Precisely. The phone has been discussed for weeks.
    06-12-14 02:58 PM
    How did Amazon pull this off on their own? Considering what is required to produce a phone with all the patent infringements, carrier support, blah blah, impressed if they didn't pair up with someone.
    Now let's go back a bit, to the fall of 2011. Amazon hires an investment bank to look at possibly acquiring BlackBerry. No public statement is ever made about those talks. While the rumors start to swirl just days before blackberry reports earnings, nothing is mentioned at the earnings call. With all that has been written about BlackBerry this is one story that hasn't been told, well not clearly anyway. Rumors continue and apparently BlackBerry tells Amazon, they want to go it alone. The Fire is released months later, and the PlayBook gets a haircut. Let's stop there.
    If BlackBerry, in fact, had said this to Amazon, their "going it alone" has long gone. So if Amazon was still open to working something out, and Chen, started to piece together what he found laying around the blackberry attic, there just may be a possibility that it is BlackBerry, however small. Factor in JC's 80% chance of survival and when asked about an android phone, "no comment, I can't talk about that", nervously. Just saying

Posted via CB10
    06-12-14 04:46 PM
    I wonder if we will see a $99 smartphone...

Posted via CB10
    06-13-14 08:16 PM
    I'm not sure about the $99 price point, but Amazon doesn't seem to be going it alone, carrier-wise.

The following link has good pics of the device, but also discusses that AT&T is highly rumored to be the exclusive USA partner for the device. http://bgr.com/2014/05/01/amazon-sma...ges-exclusive/ via #AlphaBrowser

I hate exclusive phone deals. I hope this turn out to be false. Can you feel me on that? I'm an Amazon Prime member, but I'm on T-Mobile AND my new Z30 is on the way, so no Amazon phone for me right now.

Posted via Z-10 100-3 running10.3.0.296/442 hybrid
    06-13-14 10:32 PM
103 1234 ...