Amazon's Hardware Isn't About You, and That's the Problem | WIRED

The Wall Street Journal reports*that Amazon has laid off dozens of engineers in Lab126, home to its hardware division, scaling back current offerings and abandoning some future projects...

Amazon hasnt confirmed the report, and declined our request for comment. Whats certain at the very least, though, is that the companys Fire Phone, which debuted last year to critical panning and consumer shrugs, has run its course. After a recent slate of, er, fire sales, which brought the effective price of the smartphone (after an included year of Amazon Prime and other extras) as low as $10 (yes, 10*bucks), its out of stock and unlikely to return. It also appears to have been removed from a list of a Lab126 VP of product development Paul Gojenolas responsibilities...

Posted via CB10
    08-28-15 06:26 AM
    Amazon hardware wasn't all that bad, its Amazons forked version of Android that is not really seeing the support from developers that a platform needs....

I think a smarter move would be to just fold and go full Android.

I have seen a number of people that bought the Kindle Fire back when it came out... that have moved to iPads.
    08-28-15 07:12 AM
    Looks like Fire TV is still live, which is great news.
    08-28-15 07:15 AM
    fire phone while great hardware was a dud because of lack of google play and bad fire os software especially at the start. Pricing and only on att also made it doomed. It sucks really because i thought the phone was good. bu no way i was going to pay top dollar when you could get a nexus at the time for 200 less. They got it right with the pricing on the fire tablets i think but botched the phone.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt and neoberry99 like this.
    08-28-15 09:44 AM
    In addition to the FireOS that no one really wants, Amazon tried to differentiate itself by using the gimmicky 3D gesture UI, which also raised the hardware costs. Not surprisingly, no one was really interested - touching the screen works just fine, and there was no good reason to replace that with gestures in the air.

But, yes, an Android phone without Google Play is effectively DOA in the US. A handful of hackers or enthusiasts might buy it - on firesale - but it's never going to see any kind of widespread adoption.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt and neoberry99 like this.
    08-28-15 10:52 AM
    So I wonder if we will see amazon retreat to the Kindle app and abandon the amazon app store?

Posted via CB10
    Bbnivende likes this.
    08-28-15 03:15 PM
    Pricing and AT&T exclusivity kills Fire Phone from the get go. When people think of Amazon, they think of FREE shipping and lower than average sales price of many goods and the very long tail of good selection. Certainly not maker of truly high-end electronic devices with premium pricing.
    08-28-15 03:50 PM
    The layoffs from the division are a shame considering the innovative products that come out of it like the Amazon Echo. Just wish Amazon wasn't so insistent on forcing all its product to promote its online store.
    08-28-15 04:30 PM
    The layoffs from the division are a shame considering the innovative products that come out of it like the Amazon Echo. Just wish Amazon wasn't so insistent on forcing all its product to promote its online store.
    Which is why I perfer "throughbreeds" for a lot of tech, I doubt in any reasonable timeframe, Sonos are going to go "naw bored of that".
    08-28-15 05:08 PM
    So I wonder if we will see amazon retreat to the Kindle app and abandon the amazon app store?
    No. The Amazon app store serves more than just Amazon devices.
    08-28-15 05:14 PM
    Which is why I perfer "throughbreeds" for a lot of tech, I doubt in any reasonable timeframe, Sonos are going to go "naw bored of that".
    Sonos is the king of streaming music, and continues to get more popular. I don't see it being displaced easily or quickly either. Our customers LOVE them.
    08-28-15 05:45 PM
    Sonos is the king of streaming music, and continues to get more popular. I don't see it being displaced easily or quickly either. Our customers LOVE them.
    We got a presentation at work by some off their senior researchers. They have some nice stuff coming down the pipeline, even some new features even for their currently sold hardware. They seem to have a very good focus, low SKU strategy, maxing out processor components to ensure new features can be added through updates, even shipping current units with components that aren't currently in use because they have some ideas of what they may be used for eventually. Definitely wouldn't bet against them any time soon.

Posted via CB10
    08-28-15 06:01 PM
    Focus is a beautiful thing...
    08-28-15 06:30 PM
    I remember some tech blogger said the firephone would outsell all bb10 phones combined in the first year. I wish I could find the link

Posted via CB10
    08-31-15 10:17 PM
    They have some great guys with awesome ideas at Sonos. Like bringing in Saavn and sound cloud. But I feel there's a buyout of Sonos in the near future to someone like Microsoft, Google or even Apple. Over 50% of music streaming is at home and all of those three players want a bigger slice of that. It's owned privately with other brands such as Astell&Kern, Auden and Audio engine and some others. I'd give it a year or less maybe before there's an offer

Posted via CB10
    09-01-15 11:59 PM
    I remember some tech blogger said the firephone would outsell all bb10 phones combined in the first year. I wish I could find the link

Posted via CB10
    Anti-BB?

Probably, but he was wrong. :-)

  Andro-Loader (TM) - who is gonna leak ...? Black-Berry! dadadada dee dum dee dum...  
    09-02-15 03:37 AM