According the an article in Engadget Amazon is willing to go to court over current in-app purchase policies. It does not comply with password protected requirements before in-app purchases can be made. Anybody remember the recent Apple cases?

Amazon refuses to bend to the FTC's demands over in-app purchases
    "The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) wants Amazon to update some of its policies regarding in-app purchases, but the retail giant is having none of it. According to documents obtained by the Wall Street Journal the company is facing a lawsuit that would require it to pay hefty fines and dramatically alter its record keeping and disclosure practices. In particular the government is concerned about purchases being made by children, but Amazon thinks its approach is sound. In fact, not only is the company refusing to change its rules, it said in a letter (PDF) that it's prepared to go to court.

The FTC wants Amazon to require passwords for all in-app purchases, make notices of additional charges more obvious and simplify the refund process. Those are rules similar to what Apple was forced to agree to last year. After receiving thousands of complaints from parents whose children racked up unauthorized charges via in-app purchases its no surprise that the agency decided to target Amazon. The company claims it has handed out prompt refunds to customers who have complained, but it seems that it wasn't until June that all in-app purchases required any form of authentication.

Amazon may be ready to take its battle to court, but the FTC has already made Apple bend to its will."

Posted via CB10
    07-02-14 07:08 PM
    I am guessing Amazon will comply. No reason not too and it would be wise to add these features to the store
    menshawy likes this.
    07-02-14 07:30 PM
    What I don't get is why they are so hard nosed in the first place? Surely its easier and more logic to comply. What am I missing?

Z10 STL100-1, OS 10.2.1.3247
    07-02-14 07:36 PM
    they appear to want to stick it to the man. And well amazon while turning good numbers of revenue still hasnt figured out the key to good profits. They need all the accidental purchases they can get
    m1kr0 and anon1727506 like this.
    07-02-14 07:38 PM
    What I don't get is why they are so hard nosed in the first place? Surely its easier and more logic to comply. What am I missing?

Z10 STL100-1, OS 10.2.1.3247
    They'll make a lot more money this way. When people are hassled to spend money, they don't spend money. You always want to make payment process as easy as possible, which is mainly (partly?) why Amazon grew so big (they patented the 1 click checkout!), so fast.

On BB10, I've seen people on here ******** about being prompted for password for a FREE app, which despite being told its because there are in-app purchases, he (thinking of a specific friend without kids) still thought it was annoying to be prompted for password.

Being a bachelor without kids, on one hand, I side with Amazon in the sense, "don't blame us for something YOUR kids do, do some parenting and don't blame us that you gave a cell phone to a kid who you can't trust/control.". On the other, you want/expect parental controls and when you hand the device with game to a kid, if your expectation is no additional charges, that should be the case.
    07-02-14 09:05 PM
    Perhaps they should allow the option. I mean, Amazon is known for being easy to purchase from.

I assume that giving the 'option' to have a passcode for in-app purchases would quell the FTC.

Then again, sometimes government bodies, like the FTC, need to hit a massive obstacle. Hopefully Amazon have more balls than Apple in this lawsuit.

Quality Poultry - Channel PIN: C004B64D1
    07-02-14 11:07 PM
    When you sign in to amazon app store app, it says at the bottom that by signing in (with your password), you are enabling 1-click.

If it's OK for 1-click to exist and operate within amazon.com, then how is it different for the app store and apps processing purchases therein?

Posted via CB10
    07-02-14 11:40 PM
    When you sign in to amazon app store app, it says at the bottom that by signing in (with your password), you are enabling 1-click.

If it's OK for 1-click to exist and operate within amazon.com, then how is it different for the app store and apps processing purchases therein?

Posted via CB10
    Exactly. Probably why they are willing to fight a losing battle. I support their effort though
    07-02-14 11:54 PM
    Being a bachelor without kids, on one hand, I side with Amazon in the sense, "don't blame us for something YOUR kids do, do some parenting and don't blame us that you gave a cell phone to a kid who you can't trust/control.".
    Well, finally someone with good sense! Parenting these days means nothing for most people. Where is the dedication to give a proper raising. Raising a kid is hard. If you can't handle it, don't make a damn kid. There should be laws against such parents (this last one is a joke..)

On-topic: I think Amazon should just comply.. and they will eventually. It is not to protect persons from the purchases of their child, it is to protect dumb people from getting into much financial troubles!
    07-03-14 01:56 AM
    My little son often buys a game that doesn't work on the Nexus Tablet, and somehow racked up $60 worth of in app-purchases once. I have the password required turned on, and Google gives you a refund in the first 15 minutes, but he didn't bring it to me in time. $9 wasted. And before you lecture me Mr. itsyaboy, I did not make this kid, but I am stepping in to try to give him a good life, and loving direction.
    07-03-14 03:50 PM
    My little son often buys a game that doesn't work on the Nexus Tablet, and somehow racked up $60 worth of in app-purchases once. I have the password required turned on, and Google gives you a refund in the first 15 minutes, but he didn't bring it to me in time. $9 wasted. And before you lecture me Mr. itsyaboy, I did not make this kid, but I am stepping in to try to give him a good life, and loving direction.
    Don't take any offense. We are referring to certain parents who let their kids away with murder and its always someone else's fault.

You accepted the $9 loss without blaming Google. You have my respect.

But sounds like you have a complaint if password required was enabled.
    07-03-14 04:34 PM
    Not a huge fan of 1-click checkout. Too easy to hit. Hasn't happened yet, but I could imagine.

I assume the fact that they don't ship everything to Australia will probably save me in a lot of cases, unless it's a digital purchase.

Pasted via CB chen
    07-03-14 05:59 PM
    Not a huge fan of 1-click checkout. Too easy to hit. Hasn't happened yet, but I could imagine.

I assume the fact that they don't ship everything to Australia will probably save me in a lot of cases, unless it's a digital purchase.

Pasted via CB chen
    Love the one click.
    Listen, if you were to hit the One-Click by mistake, just go to your account and cancel the order. Nothing happens for a little while (don't remember exactly how long) - Amazon gives you a short period before processing the order for an easy cancellation. Not to worry. I have cancelled One-Click orders after changing my mind and choosing a different item.
    07-03-14 06:25 PM
    Love the one click.
    Listen, if you were to hit the One-Click by mistake, just go to your account and cancel the order. Nothing happens for a little while (don't remember exactly how long) - Amazon gives you a short period before processing the order for an easy cancellation. Not to worry. I have cancelled One-Click orders after changing my mind and choosing a different item.
    Yup, exactly. I just canceled an order last night because I wanted an add-on item that required a $25 purchase. Since I had just made one, I just canceled it and resubmitted with the add-on. No problem. Not to mention the fact that 1-click IS an option. You can just turn it off if your scared of hitting it by mistake, haha
    07-03-14 07:05 PM
    Yup, exactly. I just canceled an order last night because I wanted an add-on item that required a $25 purchase. Since I had just made one, I just canceled it and resubmitted with the add-on. No problem. Not to mention the fact that 1-click IS an option. You can just turn it off if your scared of hitting it by mistake, haha
    They need to add another button for "oops, add this to the last order".
    07-04-14 12:52 AM
    Sorry, but that is part of parenting. If your child is doing something they shouldn't be then you need to properly educate him or not give him access to the device.

Give him a Tonka truck. They don't have in app purchases.

Posted using my Z10 via CB10
    07-04-14 10:49 AM
    Sorry, but that is part of parenting. If your child is doing something they shouldn't be then you need to properly educate him or not give him access to the device.

Give him a Tonka truck. They don't have in app purchases.
    Once I got bored with my Tonka truck in my younger days, I used it as a skateboard (nice metal construction back then). The subsequent fall and injuries did lead to unexpected app purchases for my parents: band aids and mercurochrome!
    anon1727506, eldricho and JeepBB like this.
    07-06-14 11:03 PM
    Personally I've never been a big purchaser of Apps on a BlackBerry devices, my personal total is well under $50 with BBOS, PlayBook and BB10 combined. But when my granddaughter asks if she can unlock some Disney Princess Pet or some Disney Story Time Book on my wife's iPad.... I bet my wife's total is well over $100 and she has only had it for 9 months.

But even the way the Apple Store now works there have been a few Apps that all they do is ask for in-app purchases - these get deleted pretty quickly.

As for Amazon.... I really question if they will be able to keep their platform alive. Going forward Google seems to be working to "help" their developers to stop all the Android piracy via their GS Framework. Which will be great for all those Android Developers.... not so great for 3rd Party App Stores or for groups that are running other OS's that are trying to piggyback on Google App Store (Kindle, BB10, Sailfish...). This will not happen overnight, and I'm sure that with the number of user Amazon has that most of the major free Apps will be available.... it's the premium little known apps that might be key for a small group - say Doctors, Lawyers, Contractors, Car Sales, Fitness Buffs, Commuters. Amazon currently doesn't have a lot of support from these smaller developers - not sure if adding a phone will change that or not. Amazon might be better off going with full Android and giving up on the Apps and focusing more on the content.
    07-07-14 01:30 PM
    Personally I've never been a big purchaser of Apps on a BlackBerry devices, my personal total is well under $50 with BBOS, PlayBook and BB10 combined. But when my granddaughter asks if she can unlock some Disney Princess Pet or some Disney Story Time Book on my wife's iPad.... I bet my wife's total is well over $100 and she has only had it for 9 months.

But even the way the Apple Store now works there have been a few Apps that all they do is ask for in-app purchases - these get deleted pretty quickly.

As for Amazon.... I really question if they will be able to keep their platform alive. Going forward Google seems to be working to "help" their developers to stop all the Android piracy via their GS Framework. Which will be great for all those Android Developers.... not so great for 3rd Party App Stores or for groups that are running other OS's that are trying to piggyback on Google App Store (Kindle, BB10, Sailfish...). This will not happen overnight, and I'm sure that with the number of user Amazon has that most of the major free Apps will be available.... it's the premium little known apps that might be key for a small group - say Doctors, Lawyers, Contractors, Car Sales, Fitness Buffs, Commuters. Amazon currently doesn't have a lot of support from these smaller developers - not sure if adding a phone will change that or not. Amazon might be better off going with full Android and giving up on the Apps and focusing more on the content.
    "As for Amazon.... I really question if they will be able to keep their platform alive. "

What? Amazon just came out with a phone. They are all in with their app store with money to market it. It's not going anywhere.

I dont think you know the difference between android the OS and the app stores.
    07-07-14 05:31 PM
    Google would probably have refunded the purchases via its hidden menu in the Play Store on the web.

IME, Amazon refunds inadvertent app purchases, no questions asked. I haven't ever tried refunding in-app purchases though.
    07-07-14 05:44 PM
    An extra step to enter password doesn't bother me. It's a good measure to have.

Using Z10, wanting Z30, eyeing Windermere
    07-07-14 05:50 PM
    "As for Amazon.... I really question if they will be able to keep their platform alive. "

What? Amazon just came out with a phone. They are all in with their app store with money to market it. It's not going anywhere.

I dont think you know the difference between android the OS and the app stores.
    Marketing has little to do with getting developers to support your ecosystems. Kindle users will tell you that there are many apps that are unavailable to them,
    because developers are not bothering to simply add their apps to the Kindle App Store. Amazon App Store is the same. But when Google is asking developers to code their apps to basically work only with the Google Play Store via Google Services Framework... not sure the other store that just steal apps will survive or it developers will bother with ones like Amazon that would require some reworking.

Amazon is going to have to really court developers and offer incentives to bring more apps over... for both stores

Posted via Android CrackBerry App
    07-08-14 06:48 AM