08-14-15 08:36 PM
33 12
    Android Lollipop introduced the Android for Work feature, and Google has been improving it's features for over a year now. One of the things that they have worked on if the ability to integrate these features into some of the better known EMM solutions that are currently available.

Can Android be made to secure a phone for the president.... I don't know. But can Android be made to secure a phone good enough to meet the needs of the 20 million or so customers are left in the BlackBerry Enterprise world.... probable so.

The question is does it really take BlackBerry to do it? Of is a KNOX or Mobile Iron or Good solution just as good?

(just assume that 2/3 of the existing userbase is enterprise, if it's only 1/2 or 1/3... than this is an even smaller niche they are fighting for)
    07-27-15 07:42 AM
    Somehow I find it hard to believe that BlackBerry, with its dwindling resources and having never developed an Android handset, is going to make a more secure version of Android - not just Android but Google's Android. That would mean that BlackBerry either has security wizardry that Google doesn't have or more resources than Google does. That's pretty farfetched.

The slider will probably be secured in the same way that all of the other BlackBerry handsets were secured - with BES. Without BES, as most people here know, BlackBerry handsets really aren't any more secured than any other devices except that BB10 isn't usually a target of malicious apps.
    Google - BlackBerry

Different business model... :-)

(everyone makes their own conclusions of what that means)

  "BBAndr10d Armageddon: Chenisys is uploading in 5,4,3..."  
    07-27-15 01:48 PM
    The joke is, handsets will be a side business for BB. BB10 handsets will exist as a secure solution product. This has been stated time and time again by Chen. Any work with Android will not be on a BB (branded) hardware device. Look at the the tablet that got secured using the Secusmart hardware. Samsung tablet running Android with IBM app wrapper. Most probable is a Google or Samsung deal producing further secured android devices. SaaS or white label tech.
    07-27-15 03:45 PM
    Chen is just a man, he makes mistakes, maybe he was too optimistic.

Posted via CB10
    08-13-15 05:53 PM
    What about BB10 offers "secure communications" exactly? BB10 doesn't encrypt voice calls, SMS, or email, end to end.
    Good question and I'm interested in knowing the answer.
    08-13-15 06:11 PM
    I don't think the slider will make it to market. Chen is focusing on software and making maybe one or two devices. I think the big investors and the board are over handsets. I hope I am wrong because I loved my old Torch. I think we will see Passports and Classics moving forward for BB10.

Posted via CB10
    08-13-15 10:28 PM
    Your hypothesis violates the Occam's Razor principle that the simplest answer is usually the correct one. Your "more sophisticated approach" would be more expensive, take longer to develop, be less power efficient, and probably do nothing to enhance security as it would mean launching an OS combination with little real-world testing. And to what end? Who is really looking for Blackberry 10 outside of these forums?

The most logical answer is stock Android preloaded with the same BlackBerry experience apps that are available for any Android device. That allows outsourcing of almost all of the hardware operations, full Google Play compatibility, BES integration, shorter development timeline, and enhanced focus on Android apps with the BlackBerry experience targeting a much broader install base.

Why try to shoe-horn Android into BlackBerry 10 when you can focus on what BlackBerry can do for all of their Android-using customers?
    Totally agree. Common sense prevails.

Posted via CB10
    08-14-15 05:32 PM
    Totally agree. Common sense prevails.

Posted via CB10
    Common sense? What does common sense tell you when BlackBerry's strength is security? Does common sense tell you that switching to Android make sense? An open OS that gets hacked and exploited as regularly as iOS does. If you really think that changing to stock Android is BlackBerry's plan, then you're not using common sense at all, sorry.

Posted via CB10
    08-14-15 08:36 PM
33 12