10-08-14 11:29 AM
38 12
tools
    "As you know, times and business circumstances change. Sometime between now and November 3 will be my last day at BlackBerry and QNX..."

So long, farewell, auf wiedersehen, goodbye!
    10-07-14 10:00 AM
    Sad

Posted via CB10
    10-07-14 10:03 AM
    Liked him. Wish him the best.
    10-07-14 10:10 AM
    "As you know, times and business circumstances change. Sometime between now and November 3 will be my last day at BlackBerry and QNX..."

So long, farewell, auf wiedersehen, goodbye!
    Whoa. That's news. May fortune see him well to his next gig. He got a few notches in his belt in the last few years.
    10-07-14 10:18 AM
    I wonder what actually happened.
    10-07-14 10:27 AM
    LAAAAWWWDDDD not Alec

Posted via CB10
    10-07-14 10:29 AM
    A good guy with lots of energy. But it had to be tough on his family life. First, he travelled a lot. Second, he was moved to Waterloo. Fourth he travelled a lot. Fifth, they changed his job and had him work out of Ottawa again. Finally, they brought in someone to essentially run the IoT division. And you know what that means - ask Chen. He'll likely put his people in place. Wow. All in three years. Now that's the story of a turbulent company in transition through the life of one person. Wow.

Given all that, he's shown a lot of class in the way he's leaving. A good public exit. Hope the next job is just around the corner.

Posted via CB10
    mornhavon likes this.
    10-07-14 11:08 AM
    I met Alec a couple years ago at QNX HQ in Ottawa. Great guy and was super motivated about his job. I'm curious about the reason for him leaving, as he just moved over to Project Ion not too long ago - - and seemed highly motivated for that as well. I really hope this doesn't affect Project Ion's ability to grow and expand its reach.

Best of luck to Alec in the future!
    10-07-14 11:11 AM
    [sigh] That sucks. I thought Alec really turned around the Dev Rel team, and made it so much better. It has lapsed since he left.

Posted via CB10
    10-07-14 11:11 AM
    First vivek now him. Why ? I keep wondering.
    Worst part is that they were both VERY passionate about their jobs. One of those things u wish never happened.
    10-07-14 11:20 AM
    Any word where he is going?

Posted via CB10
    10-07-14 11:27 AM
    Good luck to him. He sounds like a very personable and bright guy but I never really got a sense that he was a particularly good fit for the various higher level responsibilities he held at RIM/BBRY. It might have been due to impossible expectations, poor guidance from higher up - I don't know. I am sure he will find a gig that suits him better, though, particularly as developer relations appear to be very low priority now at BBRY and their IoT strategy isn't all that clear, at least on a consumer level.
    10-07-14 11:33 AM
    I guess he did not like what happened for project ION whose new boss did not like him either.
    10-07-14 11:43 AM
    I guess he did not like what happened for project ION whose new boss did not like him either.
    Who is his new boss?
    10-07-14 11:45 AM
    Why ?
    10-07-14 11:55 AM
    I liked him, but honestly he was not as effective as BlackBerry needed at the time (not just his fault obviously).

I don't think he is a major loss in 2014/15. If he had left in 2012/13, I would say it would be a vital loss, but not so much anymore.
    10-07-14 11:59 AM
    My interactions with him were less positive than other people's here I guess. I think he contributed a lot to the perception of BlackBerry being out of touch and more show than actual substance.

So I may be in the minority here, but I don't see this as a loss. I wonder who will run Ion now?
    Last edited by app_Developer; 10-07-14 at 10:10 PM.
    10-07-14 12:01 PM
    RIP...wait i mean all the best alec
    10-07-14 12:45 PM
    My interactions with him were less positive then other people's here I guess. I think he contributed a lot to the perspection of BlackBerry being out of touch and more show than actual substance.

So I may be in the minority here, but I don't see this as a loss. I wonder who will run Ion now?
    Hes the guy that started the trend towards lots of junk apps in bb world to increase the number.
    TGR1 likes this.
    10-07-14 12:47 PM
    Not unexpected at all. He's part of Heins regime. The purge continues.
    10-07-14 01:02 PM
    Hes the guy that started the trend towards lots of junk apps in bb world to increase the number.
    And when we dove into Ion there wasn't anything real there either. Less developed that a dozen startups we are tracking in that space.

He is a good showman, I guess.
    TGR1 and Acumenight like this.
    10-07-14 01:24 PM
    This is what I was thinking. Failed to get the big apps, bloated the BlackBerry World with junk.
    10-07-14 03:40 PM
    This is what I was thinking. Failed to get the big apps, bloated the BlackBerry World with junk.
    Guys it was his job to get all the little apps. Mary Mallick's job was to get all the big apps. Don't know how many times this has already been said around here.
    10-07-14 03:44 PM
    And when we dove into Ion there wasn't anything real there either. Less developed that a dozen startups we are tracking in that space.

He is a good showman, I guess.
    You realize they have only had a team of like 8 people working on this for like 6 months? What were you expecting. Heins loved to talk about machine to machine and IoT but he did absolutely nothing to drive this forward.
    10-07-14 03:45 PM
    They needed numbers, because so many critics were complaining about how small the catalog was. I'm not sure how much more they really could have done. There's only so much money and effort they could have invested, and they did a LOT

Not a big surprise to see Alec going, actually. I don't think BlackBerry has abandoned its developer community or its outreach efforts, but at this point they're not going to get a lot of return by spending a lot of time or money on it.

Alec was there to build a developer community, and I think he did the best job he could with what he had to work with. I know BlackBerry became a thousand times more developer-friendly than they were before he came.
    Bluenoser63 likes this.
    10-07-14 03:54 PM
38 12