04-19-15 11:24 PM
51 123
tools
    But you can with the even lower sales of BBOS devices?

Posted via CB10
    The market is full of second hand devices, millions of them, so yes you can with even lower new BBOS sales.
    04-09-15 10:52 AM
    It always shocks me when I hear comments like "that's not a Blackberry, it has no keyboard" or "Blackberries actually have touch screens ?" Like others have said, it shows the really poor programs the various marketing teams have delivered over the recent past. People know very little about the products or even what the company is really doing. QNX always seems to confuse folks as they can't seem to make the connection to BB10 or the automotive industry. Forget anything about BES or BBM as these are just not even mentioned in the consumer conversation. Further, the corporate tech folks are probably tired of the constant complaints about the limitations (perceived, real or self inflicted) of the Blackberry provided devices that they're probably happy to see BOYD programs implemented. In short, most see Blackberry as a maker of "classic" (code for outdated) handset devices catering to a small but persistent user group, firmly stuck in the past. Something akin to a classic car or a bowler hat.

I think out of all the challenges, this is probably the most critical and difficult to achieve. I've often wondered why Blackberry has never developed a marketing campaign based on this perception gap, playing on the company's old and stogy identity against the reality of the new products.

"We're not your father's Blackberry !"......you get the idea.
    sentimentGX4 likes this.
    04-09-15 10:56 AM
    The market is full of second hand devices, millions of them, so yes you can with even lower new BBOS sales.
    How many millions?

Posted via CB10
    04-09-15 11:10 AM
    How many millions?

Posted via CB10
    Plenty millions, or do you think all those 15 millions a quarter BB used to sell have all ended up in a landfill already?
    04-09-15 11:25 AM
    Plenty millions, or do you think all those 15 millions a quarter BB used to sell have all ended up in a landfill already?
    I don't know. How recently was BlackBerry selling 15 million handsets a quarter in Africa?

I'm not in Africa, but I know where my old BBOS phone is. It's not in a landfill or on the 2nd hand market. It's sitting in a drawer.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by jhimmel; 04-11-15 at 08:22 AM.
    04-09-15 11:34 AM
    I'm not in Africa,but I know where my old BBOS phone is. It's not in a landfill or on the 2nd hand market. It's sitting in a drawer.
    No one "throws" their old phones away. Unless of course you're one of those people who show no remorse in throwing batteries in the trash can.

For individuals in possession of a "worthless" phone but who are not hoarders, they "recycle" their devices. There are recycle bins for phones inside BestBuys, libraries, schools, EcoATMs, etc. You just casually chuck your phone in no questions asked much like how there are recycle bins for plastic bottles.

Once you "recycle" your phone, a lot of them get shipped to Africa because it's cheaper than actually disassembling the device. Maybe some of the organizations can also sell the not extremely old devices for a couple dollars. Who knows?

And that's how the African market gets flooded with second hand Blackberries, kids. It's not through eBay like the glamorous second hand market in the US.
    Last edited by sentimentGX4; 04-09-15 at 12:00 PM.
    04-09-15 11:47 AM
    I don't know. How recently was BlackBerry selling 15 million handsets a quarter in Africa?

I'm not in Africa,but I know where my old BBOS phone is. It's not in a landfill or on the 2nd hand market. It's sitting in a drawer.

Posted via CB10
    They don't have to be originally sold in Aftica to end up in Africa.

I either sell mine in eBay or give them away to friends or family.

Maybe you should take yours out of the drawer and send it to Africa. I'm sure there's many charity organisations that could do that for you.
    04-09-15 11:49 AM

Maybe you should take yours out of the drawer and send it to Africa. I'm sure there's many charity organisations that could do that for you.
    Or give it to other organizations like cell phones for soldiers.
    04-09-15 11:54 AM
    Or give it to other organizations like cell phones for soldiers.
    No, soldiers have a job for which they volunteer and make a wage.
    04-09-15 11:57 AM

Well, I have a Storm I that is not in working condition, and a Storm II that -may- be in "working" condition, but I doubt anyone would want it. I actually liked my Storm I, and could type super fast on it, but the Storm II was a glitchy piece of junk really and I wouldn't give that to anyone - for their own good.
    Then I got Z10 (liked it, but OS could use some maturity, and battery life was not great) then I got a Z30 and love it.

BTW, there were no friends or family even remotely interested in my old BB's.

Posted via CB10
    04-09-15 12:00 PM
    Well, I have a Storm I that is not in working condition, and a Storm II that -may- be in "working" condition, but I doubt anyone would want it. I actually liked my Storm I, and could type super fast on it, but the Storm II was a glitchy piece of junk really and I wouldn't give that to anyone - for their own good.
    Then I got Z10 (liked it, but OS could use some maturity, and battery life was not great) then I got a Z30 and love it.

BTW, there were no friends or family even remotely interested in my old BB's.

Posted via CB10
    I just looked at eBay UK completed listing for the Storm 2 and they sell for between 15 to 50.

I think you underestimate how much BBOS devices trade hands for on eBay.
    04-09-15 12:07 PM
    I will say it again. Are BlackBerry phones the only ones worth recycling? Since as many have pointed out here BlackBerry is a relatively small portion of the market, and since BlackBerry hasn't really been been much of a consumer oriented phone for some time, then if you take into account that consumer will upgrade at a faster rate (wanting to have the latest and greatest) so if you take all that into account you would have to conclude that BlackBerry would make up a relatively small amount of the recycled phones so explain why you would think BlackBerry has increased its market share in Africa only because of the influx of recycled phones.

Posted via CB10
    04-09-15 12:13 PM
    So Africa has 1.1 Billion people, according to wikipedia. The article mentioned that they surveyed 3,500 people and only 6% are using BlackBerry. I can do the math (210 respondents) , and it's not every pretty, considering Blackberry only sold approx. 7.5M devices last fiscal. So who is going nuts over BlackBerry? The title should be changed to Africa goes nuts over Samsung... and the odd person still uses BlackBerry. I'm guessing those devices in Africa say RIM and not BlackBerry
    Maxxxpower likes this.
    04-09-15 12:13 PM
    I just looked at eBay UK completed listing for the Storm 2 and they sell for between 15 to 50.

Amazing that someone would take one at any price. It was precisely the Storm II that sent the remaining BB users in my company right to iPhone. I remember that period of time very well, because everyone who had one was complaining daily about them. They ditched BB when the contract was up (all seemed to go iPhone), and never looked at BB the same since.

Posted via CB10
    04-09-15 12:14 PM
    So Africa has 1.1 Billion people, according to wikipedia. The article mentioned that they surveyed 3,500 people and only 6% are using BlackBerry. I can do the math (210 respondents) , and it's not every pretty, considering Blackberry only sold approx. 7.5M devices last fiscal. So who is going nuts over BlackBerry? The title should be changed to Africa goes nuts over Samsung... and the odd person still uses BlackBerry. I'm guessing those devices in Africa say RIM and not BlackBerry
    Exactly.. and as I noted in another thread..

Kind of. Watch the video, it helps explain it better. It's all still based off of predictions really.

Blackberry still regarded a status symbol in Africa - CNBC Africa
    While it's interesting news and shows market potential, it's nothing crazy for BB10 devices. Far from 'going nuts' over them.

Also, this has been ongoing since 2012. - http://crackberry.com/business-boomi...heres-low-down. Every few years it shows up again but where's the pop?
    04-09-15 12:16 PM
    Amazing that someone would take one at any price. It was precisely the Storm II that sent the remaining BB users in my company right to iPhone. I remember that period of time very well, because everyone who had one was complaining daily about them. They ditched BB when the contract was up (all seemed to go iPhone), and never looked at BB the same since.

Posted via CB10
    Some liked it, some didn't, I didn't either, changed it for 9700 after 2 months.

Edit some people really do use their phones lightly, my wife could always go 3-4 months without a battery pull on all her Pearls or current 9790. She also goes 2-3 days between battery charges.
    04-09-15 12:16 PM
    Guess what, iPhone and Android also require a server to do most "smartphone functions" you can't even voice dial now without going trough a server.

Name me a smartphone function that doesn't require going through a server?
    BIS goes and your phone can't get email. There is no equivalent on the other platforms. I think email is a little more basic a function than Siri.

Posted via CB10
    04-09-15 03:10 PM
    You used an awful lot of words to say that you nothing about the market in Africa.

Posted via CB10
    Toto's "Africa" pretty much sums up his knowledge of the continent.

Posted via my Canadian Passport
    04-09-15 03:14 PM
    If BlackBerry could make a BB10 device that used BIS. It would sell well in Africa and Brazil and Indonesia. The attraction is not the PKB or BBOS. The attraction is BIS and native BBM.

Posted via CB10
    Matty likes this.
    04-11-15 01:08 AM
    If BlackBerry could make a BB10 device that used BIS. It would sell well in Africa and Brazil and Indonesia. The attraction is not the PKB or BBOS. The attraction is BIS and native BBM.

Posted via CB10
    Then why are BIS-less, cheap Android devices eating BlackBerry's lunch in those markets, even when BBOS devices were and are available? BlackBerry can't make phones cheap enough to compete in those markets, the Leap and Z3 are proof of that. Price conscious consumers are concerned about the device price and plan price. But while data networks are getting better and data plans in those markets getting cheaper as a result, the BIS becomes less relevant but cheap Android is still there and BlackBerry can't compete hardware to hardware price wise against cheap Android. Plus they can get BBM on cheap Android now with all the garbage stickers they want.

Posted via CB10
    04-11-15 06:57 AM
    With out BIS BlackBerry plans, they would not be able to sell these older BBOS phones. They are still selling. BIS would help to open up these markets for BB10. A leap with BIS would do much better than it would sell otherwise.

Because we do not live there we can not imagine operating a phone where free wifi is not readily available and where data costs still matter.

BIS for BB10 is of no relevance to us but it is to those in Nigeria which has a huge phone market and a modern BIS model could be the difference that helps BlackBerry survive in these type of markets.

Some Africans are rooting their Android phones to take advantage of a BIS plan.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Bbnivende; 04-11-15 at 08:32 AM.
    04-11-15 07:53 AM

Will a Verizon (CDMA) phone do anyone any good in Africa?
    04-11-15 08:26 AM
    Toto's "Africa" pretty much sums up his knowledge of the continent.

Posted via my Canadian Passport
    Literally laughed at this! Can't get that song out of my head now!
    kbz1960 likes this.
    04-11-15 09:23 AM
    Will a Verizon (CDMA) phone do anyone any good in Africa?
    There are some CDMA networks in Africa. Not sure about the logistics of frequencies or firmware, but I suspect that most phones would be usable somewhere there for the lifespan of the phone (i.e, the next 2-3 years). But like the rest of the world, CDMA networks in Africa are on the way out.
    04-11-15 12:56 PM
    There are some CDMA networks in Africa. Not sure about the logistics of frequencies or firmware, but I suspect that most phones would be usable somewhere there for the lifespan of the phone (i.e, the next 2-3 years). But like the rest of the world, CDMA networks in Africa are on the way out.
    As far as I'm aware, there are no CDMA networks in South Africa. Pretty sure its all GSM. But you never know, that dinosaur Telkom might have a couple lying around lol. They still selling 2mbps lines to people for $39 with a 10GB cap.
    04-19-15 02:44 PM
51 123